Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Since they moved Agents of SHIELD an hour later, Flash doesn't run against anything that competes for the same audience either.

Please don't even start with the puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, might I say that bit after "Run, Barry, Run" looks like they just directly transplanted Flash into a live action universe. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

It might also be Mirror Master, since he has shown the ability to duplicate himself in the comics.

The episode summary says his name is Danton Black though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Grodd (I know).

Or the Top.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Grodd is loving awesome :colbert:

I used to think he would not fit outside of comics and cartoons for mainstream audiences, but the recent success of Planet of the Apes may have changed my mind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fowl posted:

What do you want to bet that Dr. Harrison Wells' middle name starts with a G?

:doh:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Wow. Okay. So..

There are some big ol' spoiler images from set floating around and even describing them is gonna be a spoiler, so to help y'all decide if you want to look, here's a description of the spoiler that isn't actually a spoiler but will probably spoil anyway: a thing that everyone thinks is happening is in fact happening, and much faster than you'd think.

Here if you want to see them.

The description is priceless.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Non-Flash fact: a character dramatically looking over newspapers from the future was how I expected time travel to be confirmed even before I saw the pilot.

Granted, I didn't expect Wells.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pwnstar posted:

Iris is unfortunately a character in a CW show so she's obviously dating the wrong guy, ignoring Barry's obvious feelings for her and will get furious every time she finds out he was lying to her. Barry will be angsty and depressed about having to keep secrets and hide his true self. They'll finally get together then two episodes later he will get told that she isn't safe if they are together and instead of just telling her that he will purposely torpedo the relationship. She will also be kidnapped about 80 times.

Edit: :goonsay:

I think I just found a drinking game.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stunt Rock posted:

I finally watched the second episode after kind of falling asleep and missing the tag at the end of the first episode so the very end of episode two where Harrison gets out of the chair was a huge HOLY poo poo moment for me and I'm loving digging this show now.

It's kind of obvious that they repeated a lot of plot points from the first episode for new viewers.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This show and Arrow are really good at adapting comic stories and ideas to a serial format. The lab accident is not just an obligatory stop on the Hero's Journey, but affects and affected everyone. The island parts of Arrow are also a good example.

I do wonder if they're keep going with the flashbacks. Maybe next we'll have villain origins when they run out (ugh) of the obvious stuff.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

They should have Ollie do some of the inner monologuing during his guest episode. It's like thought bubbles from comics.

They accidentally monologue over each other.

"I loved you in Wall Street!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hi liter posted:

The did not exactly execute Komodo well. He was pretty decent the books, but also very recent.

I said it before, but Arrow needs to bring in Gail Simone's Catman. He's tailormade for that show.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Can you explain why? Not very familiar with the character beyond the cartoons, never mind her interpretation of him.

Catman, aka Thomas Blake, started out as Silver Age Batman villain. Afterwards, he became kind of a joke, a fat loser easily beaten by Green Arrow.

During the build-up to Infinite Crisis, Simone made him dark and gritty, which actually worked. After becoming a complete failure, he escaped into African savannah to live with a lion pack, and became an actually cool character, even if it was basically "evil Batman" (he's the son of billionaires who killed his own father).

So you have a character 1) who has no superpowers, which means that he can fit in a more "realistic" adaptation, 2) has a cool name that you can use instead of his cheesy alias ("Blake!"), 3) serves as a perfect foil for the ex-billionaire superhero trained in the wild, and 4) tends to go shirtless.

He was made for Arrow.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Arrow has already had enough perfect foils in Merlyn and Deathstroke (not sure who the third season's villain is since I'm still going through season two after starting Flash), so personally I'd prefer to see some less perfect ones and more complimentary ones. Seeing him take on someone with actual superpowers, even if relatively low level as a season villain of some kind for instance. That's partially because I actually kind of like heroic Catman as an aging and over-the-hill Batman who mainly uses boxing though, even from my minor exposure to him through the cartoons. I've no idea how he relates to villain Catman however.

Wildcat and Catman were completely unrelated, until it was retconned that all cat-themed heroes and villains were inspired by the divine King of Cats being imprisoned by a magician and were trying to fill the void he left.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

That sounds like a really stupid and, more to the point, needless retcon. Thanks for the clarification though.

Everything after the first clause is a comics joke not true though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Wells really reminds me of Moira from Arrow.

They're both people very close to the hero who are seemingly harmless, but have an agenda to protect the hero (although Moira was about her family, not the hero specifically). Their agenda is not strictly good or evil, but they're so ruthless about it that they might as well be villains. They're both involved in some kind of conspiracy that ended up creating the hero. They both do nefarious things in the background, usually towards the end of the episode.

It's not really a problem, because Moira is my favourite Arrow character, but it does seem like they're recycling things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's even sillier when you know Swedish.

"Soon!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Panama Red posted:

Haven't watched the latest episode yet but Captain Cold and the Rogues is encouraging, at least as a comic book nerd.

My girlfriend and I love Arrow but we've been struggling with this show. It's a little too predictable with supervillain of the week + pep talk for Barry + slight reveal of Wells' story.

Episode 4 breaks the whole formula, basically. No metahuman villain of the week, no pep talk (besides romantic), and no Wells teaser.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

How long do you think it will take for the show to develop its own bingo tropes?

- Wells is sinister
- Metaphor about speed/time/running
- Joe West moistens eyes
- Wally looks longingly at Iris
- comic book reference(FREE SPACE)
- dumb name/codename
- Wally pisses off the captain
- character with rich history reduced to a villain of the week
- superhero show unapologetically embraces comic books

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yes the rich history of "The Mist".

Whoa, you just made yourself look like a fool in front of the Starman fans.

e: to be fair, I've never heard of Multiplex

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A cold open where Barry tries to pontificate while fighting a gorilla.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like that others beside West started noticing that Wells isn't exactly a good guy.

And Jesse L. Martin is really living up to the clause in his contract that mandates him moistening his eyes every episode.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 26, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I think the show would and will be far better off when metahumans are known to exist and the Flash is known to be a vigilante hero fighting them.

That the show is stretching it out tells me that it's going to be a big moment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to see the text? You can actually read some of it. I got

" A Deadly Game that played out as the main

It's some stock text. I think it's an article about insurgency in Iraq with Baghdad replaced with "Central City".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This episode had some little touches that were really good, and they actually involved Iris:

- Her Silver Age shoutout ("Not a hoax or a mass delusion")
- Her making up with Eddie, because she has a life outside of the Flash

e: Also that "feels" is a real word now

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 3, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Was the bank set from the Royal Flush Episode of Arrow?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking of Tom Cavanagh, Merry Christmas.

The casting was just a red herring, Cisco and Wells are Pied Piper from two different points in the timeline.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No mention of Cisco's awesome t-shirts yet? I loved The Filth one. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I figured out how the whole thing with Barry and Iris could've been fixed: Barry should've been the one unaware of his feelings. He should've been the laughing off the idea. Iris should've been aware of it, but wouldn't probably mind it since he clearly wasn't acting on it.

So when Barry wakes up from coma and sees Eddie and Iris together, he'd feel jealous, but would think that it's just because he feels out of place now with his own friends and family. He only later realises why feels that way. Iris would know because she isn't an idiot. And since the creators couldn't have had Barry pining after Iris, they'd need to find more ways to use her character.

It's kinda depressing how easy it was to fix that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

I think Barry was mostly the one acting like a child (with regard to Iris), and I think with this last episode they really drove home the fact that Barry truly has been acting childish, because he's been emotionally crippled his whole life. I kind of came around on the dumbness of the Iris plot because it's intentionally made to make us think "What the hell are you doing Barry? You pitiful manchild!" until we realize that he actually has a not-terrible reason to be a manchild.

His dad said as much. I have to wonder how much of it is intentional. Stephen Amell caught a lot of flack for being so stiff in Arrow, but that was the point.

Robbie intervening nicely underlined what seemed to be the moral of the episode: it isn't really Barry's fight, it's everyone's fight.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Watched the promo, and obviously the other female castmember gets kidnapped.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Set photos have been posted in this thread. (Beware) Here they are again.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't see this anywhere:

"Doctor Wells" from Super Friends, apparently

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Cops and specifically detectives really don't think this way but on the other hand, comic books.

Besides, the Arrow hasn't murdered anyone in months, it's not exactly a pressing matter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing compared to the Whizzer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The cheesiness was pverwhelming, I'm glad I wasn't watching the episode with anyone else. Still amazing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a cop posted:

(the teleport chick only ever defended herself)

From being stopped while aiding violent crime? But yes, in retrospect she was pretty right to resist. It definetely comes off as disproportionate compared to other villains, like the writers had no other way to end the story.

The tube is definitely a way to keep the stories focused. They don't want metahuman legal shenanigans taking too much space, and they want a reason for some characters near and handy (this episodes B-plot wouldn't have worked with just Cisco if Hartley was in regular jail). And you'd need to change the setting too fast from an average American city if the justice system could deal with them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 4, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One day, I'll find who attacked my nation and get justice for their victims through indefinite detention. I am The Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Her purpose on the show is to hinder Barry's character. She's basically the primary antagonist after Wells/RF.

• Locked thread