Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TowerofOil posted:

I hope they lay off the cheesy 70's zoomed in face shots while he's running and just do the blurry wider shots.

God yes, those were SO BAD in Smallville. Works great in slo-mo, terrible in superspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Haven't gotten around to that one yet. I've heard good things, but never sat down and started it.

You have failed this subforum.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Purely speculation, but maybe they'll have him save his mom when he goes back this time. And he'll have saved the city and his parents. End season 1.

One could hope.

I really hope that's where it's going too. The Barry's dead mom retcon in the comics is lame "tragedy = pathos, look we're grown up serious business comics for MATURE ADULTS" crap and when he tries to fix it he literally ruins it for everyone else and learns that his mother HAS to have died or the universe breaks. I'd love nothing better than for this show to do the Back to the Future thing instead.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

Sorry that I brought the very comic specific, and not at all to the show related topic of "super speed is pretty neat huh?" into this thread. For the future I will stick to abs and trying to assign snack food to actress' faces.

More that you seem to have completely ignored the context clues in the pilot that the TV version is not nearly as godly with his superspeed as the comics version is, so most of these complaints are irrelevant to this thread. This Flash can't even break the sound barrier at a dead sprint, let alone punch someone a billion times before they can think.

Judging from the preview to tonight's episode, I think your concerns will be more explicitly addressed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

Iron Man has got lawyers to handle details though.

That's true, but there's a different tone to Flash's unmasking. Unlike an invincible paragon with a power for every situation like Superman or a dark avenger cloaked in myth and superstition like Batman, everything the Flash can do boils down to just one power, and the power is simply an augmentation of a regular human ability. That combined with the less overtly malicious tone of most of his villains gives him a different relationship with his home city. People in his city see him as a working-class hero, a protector who lives and works among them, and eventually he felt that there was no longer a need to hide from the people who love and respect him.

Note that I never said which Flash I was talking about? That's because all of this was relevant to Wally West, the third Flash, Barry Allen's sidekick and successor. But the TV show has mixed more than a little of Wally into their version of Barry, so it wouldn't really surprise me if this aspect was developed down the line.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

senseinobu posted:

and the flash as erm... Flash Man

The Running Man! :pseudo:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Too many insane people feeling a Smallville vibe from Flash when they couldn't be more different.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wezlar posted:

If you say he took two every trip (less than quoted) thats 250000 trips x 70 miles (35 miles each way) = 17500000 miles in .00000000001 seconds = 175 000 000 000 000 000 m/s. The speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s

I hope I mathed that correctly.

If he actually did that at "a hair's breadth short of the speed of light", let's say 299,792,450 m/s, he would've completed the evacuation in about 93 seconds. Still a superheroic effort by far, but not enough to outrun the initial radiation burst or most of the shockwave damage in the guaranteed kill zone.

Although really, the show is the same way with his powers since someone moving anywhere near the speed of sound would still be easily visible in all of those "hey where'd Barry go?" moments, he gets across town in seconds instead of minutes and his normal clothes aren't shredded to rags whenever he goes faster than ~200 mph. Barry works on a far lower power scale in the show but they both take huge liberties to deliver those "whoa that was cool" moments. And we mostly don't care because whoa, that was cool!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can we talk about the score? If my DVR was a VCR, I would've broken the tape from rewatching the wall-running and water-running sequences just to listen to the music cues. The music in this show compliments the onscreen action without imposing over it so well, plenty of film composers could take lessons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

killglance posted:

Next week has been billed as a 2 night special flash vs arrow. But when i check my titles on my dvr does anyone else see the corresponding arrow episode not titled the same but seems to just be another crossover ep?

The Flash part is titled "Flash vs. Arrow" but the Arrow part is titled "The Brave and The Bold".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Yes. The Top is using his telekentic powers to mess with the Flash's head and hold him in place. I'd describe the Top's history, but it's fairly glorious and complicated even by Comic Book character standard. He starts as a dude who just used Spinning Tops to commit crimes before it was revealed he had no fooling super powers.

Wikipedia posted:

Roscoe Dillon is a small-time crook who turns his childhood obsession with tops into a criminal persona. Roscoe taught himself how to spin around fast enough to deflect bullets and produce other semi-useful effects. The Top soon discovers that the spinning somehow increased his intelligence as well, allowing him to create a variety of trick tops. He tried to blackmail the world with an Atomic Top that would destroy half the world when it slowed down and imprisoned the Flash inside it, but the Flash vibrated out of it and sent it into space. His unique gimmick and moderate success in crime soon makes him a respected member of the Flash's rogues gallery. He dates Golden Glider, Captain Cold's sister, while coaching her on ice skating. Eventually, the Top develops immense psionic powers, as years of spinning moves dormant brain cells to the outer areas of his brain, endowing him with mental powers.

This is goddamn literature.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slamhound posted:

That's not how "spinning," "deflecting." "intelligence," "blackmail," "atomic," "vibrate," "dormant," "brain cells," or "mental powers" work.

Captain Buzzkill strikes again!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Hard for a ten year old to have muttonchops.

Mirakurogaine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tears rain down from a joyous post.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah the person in the RF suit definitely looked more muscular than Cavanaugh. Moreso than just a " guy in a muscle suit" situation.

In the leaked set photos he actually looked a lot like John Wesley Shipp to me. At the time I assumed it was some clever misdirection on their end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shoulda been a Golden-Age Flash comic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

rapeface posted:

That stuff bugs the crap out of me on Arrow, but I don't mind it on The Flash. Probably because The Flash's action scenes are more about light-hearted sci-fi and Barry Allen's character growth than gritty spec-ops martial artists.

I mostly agree with this, but it would've taken like ten seconds of rescripting to fix the problem. Here: Captain Cold and Heat Wave have deadman's switch type things linked to the bomb under Caitlyn's chair to force the cops to back off and make the Flash fight on their terms. Snap, now the fight goes down just like it did but there's an actual reason why the cops don't just snipe them or Barry doesn't knock them out before they know he's there! Also they should probabaly not be dumb enough to put the hostage explosive on a freaking timer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A bridge to an editor's office :fry:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think he was Walter White.

You can cook meth fast or cook it dramatically, but never both at the same time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whiteycar posted:

They have a dinner party and try to bring the neighbourhood together but Heatwave keeps burning the hor d'oeuvres.

WHY DO THEY CALL THESE HOT TAMALES

I'M THE HOT TAMALE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hef Deezy posted:

CW sort of did do it back when it was UPN

This season of Grimm is jawesome

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Alternate timeline: Barry dies and his mother goes to prison so Barry's dad gets struck by the Lightning.

And his suit inexplicably has sweet ripped padding and gold accents like the 1990 series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I want Stein to be the one wearing the quantum splicer next time, let's get Victor Garber with a flaming head and rocket hands.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I just want to see an episode (or even a two-parter) that's basically a TV version of the Flashpoint Paradox.

I hope not because Flashpoint Paradox was an exercise in pointless nihilism. At the end of it we find out that Professor Zoom didn't kill Barry's mom, she had originally died and Zoom only planted the idea of Barry saving his mom in Barry's mind. That alone is why the new timeline turned out so lovely, Barry saves his mom and that somehow causes the entire world to turn into a horrible dystopia on the brink of annihilation. Any story that ends with the moral of "sometimes your mom's just gotta die" is pretty loving awful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

In the comic yeah, but the comic doesn't take place in the prime universe of the game. He's a playable character in the game.

Actually it does, the playable GL is from "our"/the regular DC universe after Injustice Batman uses some spacetime :techno: to draw some heroes from an alternate reality over as a last ditch option to stop Superdictator from securing his reign. There was a DLC pack to give him season one Arrow's voice and costume too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I always assumed he pronounced things weird because it would be easier to guess who RF was if they both had the same inflections on the same words. He specifically says "Flash" weird, with a really light "L" and I always hear it. Snart does it too when he's calling out Flash on the news.

I assumed he had weird inflections because he's from the future and everyone else just wrote it off as a charming eccentricity of the highly gifted, like Einstein often forgetting to wear socks or Hawking being a big ol' poon hound.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Obviously Wells is Captain Cold from the future. His power isn't going fast, it's slowing down everything else.

Right idea, wrong villain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe the suit bulks up with more Speed Force absorbed, and at some point Wells will absorb too much and he'll go all The Maxx on us :gonk:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

It's gonna be weird having Wally and Barry be about the same age, though.

Unless he's going to be a little kid, idk

He could be like 14 and we'll get Kid Flash! :3:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TEAH SYAG posted:

That Willie P should have burned right through him in the speed ramp-up process.

Writing that off with the experimental fire suit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

BRINGER. OF. RAIN.

My wand charges on

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope that Wells' scifi chamber with Gideon and everything is the future version of some flotsam hacked together in a lean-to on the beach next to a shipwreck and he just really goddamn hates being stuck in our primitive screwhead time. I was sensing a lot of barely restrained frustration in that confrontation with Cisco, not anger at any one particular person or thing but just being trapped in a really lovely situation and getting fed up with having to wait so long for everything to come together for his escape.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Cavanaugh murdered it

:rimshot:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Carlos Valdes has done a fantastic job of growing into the role and exploring Cisco's emotional core - his relationship with Wells in lieu of his biological family, his need to prove himself, and his genuine positivity and sense of wonder that's more than just a facade, but which doesn't constitute his entire emotional range or inner life.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Carlos Valdez owned that scene, and it was incredible watching him and Cavanaugh push their acting games to the limit for it.

Wow.

Yeah, all this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, Valdez is the breakout star of this show. Last night's scene should go in his portfolio.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Episode 17 is stated by the producers to be a Thawne flashback (flash-forward?) episode so here's hoping!

Thanks to all the time travel shenanigans it could eventually be resolved as a flash-sideways!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

That's about how many live posts it usually gets. A page to a page and half. This thread usually gets a page and half or so. I think last night's episode was about two pages due to the increased number of posts in the last few minutes. These threads get much more traffic after episodes than during.

Which is as it should be. The more liveposts a show gets, the most dumbposts it gets later from liveposters not noticing basic poo poo happening in the episode because they were POSTING INSTEAD OF WATCHING IT.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I think it's more about being internally consistent, but I have all the faith in the world that this show will explain it, even if it's :techno:

The show cheats this with Barry all the time, all the way back to the second episode. If a speedster needs to get somewhere without being noticed suddenly there's no lightning/visible blur/air woosh, even when Barry was otherwise subsonic and should've been easily perceptible. Obviously both he and Wells picked the Stealth Speed upgrade early while leveling up. :rolldice:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

eNeMeE posted:

I'm betting that's the thing he wants to replace. He wants to be the one to save the world, making it so he's the famous one instead of the Flash. Possibly with a museum somewhere in the future.

Being the guy who murdered an innocent woman 15 years ago and framed her husband, and recently killed a bunch of cops/security guards, stole a piece of valuable and dangerous experimental technology and beat on the city's resident superhero puts him at a bad start for that goal.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

No, that's Bizarro Flash.

So, the Bizarro Reverse Flash would be the fastest caveman frozen alive?

• Locked thread