Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

BlindSite posted:

When he gets guys in bad positions he's punishing on top, but he's not a mauler who looks for the finish, he's a methodical dude in both departments. He struggles against southpaws for the same reason most jab heavy orthodox fighters do, but he's good enough to beat saffedine. I think Tarec could benefit from working Rory's body and legs with kicks, but I have only seen him fight once so I don't know what to say about his take down defense or his ability to force a guy into scrambles.

I'm almost willing to bet the house on Rory by points, but MacDonald doesn't have an all world chin and saffedine can do pretty major damage from the clinch.

Saffiedine's stance is also a possible challenge for Rory offensively, because it sets up the inside leg kick. Those don't have quite the same risk of getting caught and converted to a takedown. If Saffiedine is successful smothering the jab and working the inside of Rory's lead leg, Rory could be in some serious trouble. The way Tarec kicks the legs, MacDonald can't take many of those before his movement and especially his shot start to leave him--and if he isn't moving well, can't shoot effectively, and his jab isn't working, I don't know what assets he has. Good body kicks, I guess? There's also the issue of his heart or lack thereof, which might be exaggerated but I really don't see him as having the guts to get mauled for several rounds only to gut his way back into the fight the way Lim did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The people you could say this about number in the billions.

true, true

just trying to say, Rory is way more of a front-runner than a closer so I think if Saffiedine starts hurting him early he might never get started

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I liked it near the end when the hometown crowd was cheering "NICO! NICO!" while he was just kind of leaning against Yakovlev and doing nothing.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CommonShore posted:

that ref seems to hate Akira, too

It looked like he was at an angle where Holloway was blocking his view of Akira so he couldn't see that he was out cold. Which is still his fault since knowing where to stand so you can see what is happening is a big part of reffing MMA.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

My point had nothing to do with grappling competition rules and more about grappling mechanics.

All I know about this long argument is I really really want to see fights where the ref isn't allowed to call for a standup or break up a clinch for inactivity. Maybe somebody should start a promotion with special rules for that. You could market the PPVs as a natural sleep aid.

• Locked thread