Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Homeworld series is one of the best 3D RTS' of all time, anyone who disagrees either does so out of spite or has never played Homeworld. Also, I really hope you do Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 in the future

poo poo, I should get back to my half-finished LP of Cataclysm in the 2007 thread before that happens. I think my last video was months ago. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think the issue was that it didn't give you enough space or maneuverability/speed with all the various units to make any sort of formations/tactics viable other than "FORM A GIANT WALL OF LASERS AND :black101:".

And the IMP v REB balance wasn't that big a problem. However, a lot of units felt superficial compared to others in the same faction: many different transports, Carrack Light Cruiser and one or two more that I forget were quickly rendered obsolete but neither side had a definitive advantage unless you built/focused on the wrong fleet composition.

Also, Imperials were better solely because assassination missions.

Are there any mods of Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm? I remember there being at least one Star Wars and Star Trek mod for Homeworld 2.

Why'd you stop anyways? I was enjoying your LP.

Mostly I was just being lazy. Then I got sidetracked by another mini-LP about a crazy Amiga-game which just sapped most of my enthusiasm. But I'm still planning on finishing it! I even plan on making new footage tomorrow, so I can finally post some more videos!

Also thanks OP, for making this thread. Without your little reminder, it would have taken me at least 1-2 weeks longer before my motivation would've restarted my own LP. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

They just had to pick up 600.000 of their own people on a ship that was probably not designed for such an amount of people.

They will need every bit of space to accomodate them. I am sure they just slaughter the enemy crews and throw them out of the ship.

Honestly, I always thought they recycled the bodies, considering how starved for ressources they must be.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Oh come on, the Kushan ones are downright adorable.
Still, there's a reason why they removed them from the sequels.

Well, the Somtaaw in Cataclysm still have worker frigates which can do anything the salvage frigates can do, you just have to be extra careful with them since they're also your repair ships and resource collectors. Also the main enemy faction is invulnerable to getting their ships captured by them, so you have to be even more careful not to accidentally send your little workers to them. (They can take over your ships with no trouble, you see.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

The big thing that makes salvaging powerful in Homeworld is that you can keep capturing more stuff even after you've hit your unit cap. You can't do that in Cataclysm or HW2.

Ah the cap thing. I keep forgetting it didn't exist in the first game. Comes from playing to much Cataclysm. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AParadox posted:

My first time I was sure they would turn against me the moment I accepted the trade so I tried out the force attack command on them :downs:

Did that actually work in turning them hostile? Because that would have been a short mission then. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Relic said during the previews for Homeworld 2 that salvaging got way, way out of hand in this game. They had expected it to be an occasional target-of-opportunity thing. They weren't expecting players to build salvage corvettes by the dozen and loot fleets wholesale, and there's no mention of it in-universe.

This explains the hard limit dropped on fleets in Cataclysm, too. The limit in Cataclysm isn't even too bad, by the way: As long as you manage your fleet properly, you will always have enough space for your own fleet plus some captured ships. It only looks stifling for people who got mad with power during part 1 and captured entire enemy fleets. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Capturing in HW2 is an entirely different ball game. You have to dock marine frigates with a fully-capable enemy ship, then wait for a progress bar to climb. The more frigates you have latched on, the faster the progress bar moves. And the frigates themselves are horribly fragile, so it's not something you do very often outside the single-player campaign.

It's much easier to select an enemy vessel for targeted capture in Cataclysm, where you have access to a lot of tools for isolating and disabling an enemy vessel before moving your Workers in. You're also more likely to have Workers with your main fleet, since they're your repair ships. And of course, one of the enemies you're fighting doesn't have to bother with any of this stuff at all :v:

In my own LP, the last video has a point where I nicely demonstrate what happens if you underestimate that enemy and get your small ships too close. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

Libluini, does Cataclysm spoil anything for this game? Because I'm definitely interested in your LP, but have been avoiding it until this is finished.

By the way, this is a really exciting game to watch, for an RTS, and I'm really enjoying this LP. I really like how you are presenting it, and feel like you do a good job of explaining things in a way I can understand; I pretty much always feel like I know what's going on. Plus, I'm always eager for more!

I feel like it would be interesting to have an RTS where your little units that usually serve as cannon fodder are treated as more than just small amounts of resources; they aren't disposable, because they are still people under your command, so just throwing them at the enemy to die has more significant consequences than "Well, I just need to train 20 more footmen/whatever." For all I know, such a game already exists, but it's not something I'm aware of.

Honestly, it spoils the entire ending of Homeworld in its manual, so I hope you didn't read my excerpts from it. About the game I can't really say because I never played the first Homeworld beyond mission 5 or something. Could be there are some parts in the beginning with more spoilers, but Cataclysm is mostly a stand-alone story.

I should warn you my version of the game is in German, though: This means the cutszenes are all in German and you have to rely on my droning, monotone voice to tell you what just happened. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 18, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

Is the Somtaaw's verbal bitch-slapping of the Bentusi just as epic in the German as it is in the English?

I'm still a few episodes away from replaying that mission and it has been a few years, so I can just say I remember being impressed. I never played the English version though, so who knows if it sounds the same or not!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

They also explicitly broke with Homeworld technology lore several times in Cataclysm. And I think that energy guns replacing kinetic guns really did not fit into the setting of Homeworld. I'm glad they undid that aspect in HW2.

What are you talking about? That's something the Bentusi only give to the Somtaaw because they feel guilty about doing jack poo poo against the space zombie virus, except for running away. It's not like the Somtaaw just give that technology to everyone else after the game ends. Because why should they? They're an independent clan, doing their own thing. Well, as long as Hiigara isn't threatened I guess. It could also easily taken out of a second Homeworld game, since they could have gone "the Bentusi doesn't want us to use the super-tech anymore, so their secret hidden codes make all Bentusi super-energy guns unusuable". Taking out the entire game is stupid.

I didn't even know Cataclysm never happened in HW2's timeline, this would make me hate the game even more if it was humanly possible. As far as I'm concerned, Cataclysm is the only sequel Homeworld ever had. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Kiith Somtaaw also has a different tech base from the rest of the Hiigaran/Kushan armory, though, if you read the fluff. If you remember, they never really got any of the formal Kushan blueprints due to being shat on by the rest of the Kiith and basically leading a workers' revolution, most of their stuff is blueprints they bought from other species and, in particular, the Bentusi, and reverse-engineered into the blueprints we see them with.

Especially their major fighter design, the Acolyte, is a gift from the Bentusi. They just took the weapons out, that's it. Which is kind of funny since they give you the weapons at the end of the game, anyway. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Fleet Intelligence outright states that our ships are superior to Turanic Raider vessels. The first people who start wrecking our poo poo...get outgunned by us in HOURS.

Well, the Turanic Raiders are just those weird pirate civilization infesting the galaxy, they haven't really the industrial or scientific base to do more then just ambush people. Which they are remarkably good at. I don't know if it gets mentioned in HW1, but the backstory of Cataclysm mentions the Turanic Raiders only got to be a real threat because the Taiidan emperor really liked them. They were basically the Cossacks of the Taiidan Empire, which will bite the new Taiidan Republic in the rear end 15 years later, but that's another story.

Another thing is, the Taiidan Empire itself is in rather bad shape. The emperor is mad, the empire is despised by literally everyone, trade with the Bentusi has stopped, the Space-UN is throwing out Space-UN resolutions against them every time they meet and there are border skirmishes with people we're never going to meet because those borders are far away from the action in both games. The fact a gigantic revolution is kicking off as soon as people in the empire see the recording of Karak's destruction should tell you something about what an inefficient, corrupt shithole the Taiidan Empire is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

I'm a bit vague on the details, but the intro to the final mission implies that he's psychic, and I remember reading somewhere that he is also several generations into pro-longing his life through cloning. The guy is less popular than emperor palpatine.

Yeah, Cataclysm mentions this in it's recap of the first game. Apparently, either by luck or by being connected to the mothership for so long, lady Fleetcommand turns out to be psychic, too. She fights of Riesstiu IVth's influence and the final battle begins. (He also killed all his relatives to make sure only his clones can be heirs and a rebel strike force used the confusion after his death to land and destroy the cloning facilities. Which thanks to his murders, ended the monarchy. :v:)

Man I hope I wrote his name correctly, I tend to misremember the spelling, regardless how often I read his story. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I'll discuss this more when we get there, but I never thought those sequences in the blocktext were psychic powers. I thought it was electronic warfare.

A re-read of the Cataclysm manual does mention a Kushan fleet "psytech", so perhaps you're right. But I thought it was just an old-fashioned hacking attack.

I'll try to power through a couple more Cataclysm-missions so I can finally post more videos in the 2007 LP-thread, and subsequently talk more about this there. Hopefully I'll have enough time over the weekend! It's definitely not just "hacking", since it has something to do with the emperor, Sjet, the Bentusi and being fused with machinery. It's pretty much part of the mythology of their world, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with even more black text so I postpone the details until then.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

It also doesn't quite make sense. Aside from the cascade of made-up races (okay, a few get named in Cataclysm as races the Taidaan Empire were skirmishing with), it seems to put the empire in the wrong place. There are some other bits that don't line up right either, but I figure the thread is tired of spoilertext. Short version: the Taidaan Empire seems too far to the east, even if we assume the empire was much bigger in HW1 and controlled a ring around the entire galactic core. The graveyard is absurdly big. Also, the Turanic Raiders control an empire almost as big as the good guys now?

It's a good effort, but I'd prefer a version for the HW1 era with fewer fanfic empires. Fanfic has its place, but it's best to be able to turn it on and off.

The thing is, the Turanic Raiders took over parts of the Taiidan Empire, so that huge part in the West was the Western border region of the empire, according to this map. Also I think it clashes with the official map of the galaxy showing up in an early Cataclysm-cutszene, but I've to take another look at it again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Interesting to see someone use Capital Ships to clear this mission, I usually huck them in a corner with the rest of the big guys and use my wings of Heavy Corvettes, Attack Bombers and Defenders to shred the incoming rocks.

Destroyers are probably the best unit in the game in terms of overall firepower, speed and cost. For the price of two Ion Frigates you get something a teeny bit faster and far better armed and armored, not to mention they look the part of being dangerous.

Drone Frigates are great only because they're referenced in the Cataclysm Handbook as being "ahead of its time". You can see what the designers wanted to do and why they give it to you when they do, but good lord is that thing an expensive punching bag.

True story time: I tried out drone frigates in Cataclysm and loved them, then later I played Homeworld 1 and got hosed after building too many drone frigates. The lesson here is: The Somtaaw learned from this earlier failure in drone frigate building.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

The strategy in Cataclysm was really pretty different. Not going to go into detail, but the way that game was organized focused more on a tighter, more mobile group.

Not to go into any detail myself, but alternatively you could also use several mobile groups and smash the enemy like a hammer. Which is simple, which in turn is good for someone like me. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why (It's probably been discussed to death earlier in this thread, but I just found it a couple days ago) but from what I remember, the original developers hated Cataclysm.

Hell, now I consider not buying the remastered HW1 just out of spite. (HW2 can still die in a fire.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

It's a great moment, yes, but I dunno about 'encapsulates the game'.

For me, Cataclysm will be forever encapsulated by blowing a large hole into the main enemy fleet with my super-cannon and sending in my own force for an easy slaughter. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

You mean being an idiot and not knowing what an Y-axis is, missing the target over and over until you give up and just ram your fleet into it. :(

I guess I was lucky here, long before accidentally finding Cataclysm and buying it on a whim, I got to try Homeworld at a friend's house. So I was already accustomed to the idea of a 3D-game when starting up Cataclysm.

In Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm both there are a lot of cases where you can absolutely abuse the fact the AI will just make a beeline for you straight ahead. Sending forces above and below while using another force to lure the enemy in works like a charm every time you have enough ships and time to make it happen. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

I believe you mean the Kuushan.

:ssh: It's actually just Kushan.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this adaptability thing. It's a standard game research mechanic, and it needs to trickle out new units and technologies every mission to keep the player engaged. Expecting the setting to acknowledge that is a bit of a mug's game.

On the other hand, both HW1 and HW:C are exceptionally good at incorporating this mechanic into the game backstory. In Cataclysm for example, researching a certain ship is bound to you actually capturing a certain enemy ship beforehand. If you never do so, you never get the tech neccessary to build your own version. Because your engineers are mining engineers of a rather poor clan, so they never got this tech in the first place. And as mining engineers, they only get the idea of "hey, we could use this in our fight", if you give them the opportunity to take a good luck at a ship with this weapon tech in it. (The game then throws you a bone by including an entire mission revolving around capturing ships. Just in case you somehow forgot to do this.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

I don't know anything about programming. Isn't it at all possible to reverse engineer it from a game copy?

The problem with working with a game copy instead of the source code is: Working programs are actually machine-language translations made by a compiler from the programming language the source code was written in. (I'm vastly simplifying things here.) So if you only have the game copy, you could either try to look at the machine code inside to try and find out what it does, or you could try to use a compiler (or interpreter if you want to line for line, testing the code live etc.) to re-translate it back to a high level programming language for easier access.

Now you do know what happens when you translate something between two human languages back- and forth? Well, in this case some incredibly literal translators translate entire books worth of writing into another language, then later back again. Not neccessarily to the same language even, if the reverse engineers couldn't find out in which language the program was written in the first place. So either you have a hard-to-read lump of machine code, or a mess of a translation. Both of which come without any of the annotations the program was written in. (At this point my knowledge takes a nose dive, though. Can a programmer tell us if comments and the like can be translated into machine language by a compiler, or is it, like I assume, lost?)

So like I said, most likely case is everything the original programmers may have commented into the text ("this part does this" "this is just for shits and giggles, please ignore") is lost, making decyphering the code even harder.

In conclusion, reverse engineering a program is really loving hard.

Raygereio posted:

With the source assets gone, the only way to create higher-res textures would be to make them from scratch. You could rip the textures from the retail copy and blow those up to a higher resolution. But then all you would have succeeded in doing is make the original, tiny & blurry texture into a bigger & more blurry one.
As for removing the DRM, adapting the game to run properly on modern hardware, moving the multiplayer away from Sierra's defunct servers, etc. Without the source code the only option would be to grab the retail version's executable, attempt to decompile it and see if you reverse-engineer the code. However decompiling an executable doesn't get you nice, clean code a human could work with. Completely developing Cataclysm again from the ground up would be probably be quicker and easier.
In short: It would require more time & resources then Gearbox is likely willing to spend on the rerelease.

Honestly at this point the best we can hope for Cataclysm is a digital rerelease of the retail copy with a cracked executable and maybe improved sound & music.

This is practically what I wrote, just more concise. Which is why he could post it first, of course. gently caress. :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

I tired, but there were issues with my video cards and the recording software. After looking at things, I judged this the best compromise, and left it as is.

Have you tried making a link to the .exe-file and adding dsound /heap 1073741824 /enableSSE /forceSSE under "target"? I forgot why exactly, but it works for Cataclysm and since Homeworld 1 works on essentially the same engine, it should work too. (And if it doesn't, you just delete the extra crap and nothing is lost.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

No, and why would I want to?

To avoid this, for example:

quote:

I've tried on higher resolutions (the next size up is 1024x768, 16 bit_), but that makes the video size bloated, in addition to occasional stuttering in the gameplay when in conjunction with my recording software.

HW plays nice by itself, and I can run it all the way to 1280x800, 32bit if I was just enjoying it at home, but for the LP, I need to drop down the resolution.

I've had similar problems in my first videos, then I found the solution I described above, now my videos are looking astonishingly good for a 14-year-old game. (Still boring as hell, but that's my fault. :v:)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Most of the Sierra game in the 90's had a charming manual with it. Master of Orion 2, Master of Magic... they had some decent writers on staff that made the tedious information interesting to read.

I know its not really a manual, but Master of Orion 3 came with a complete wiki-like encyclopedia filled with with background info. I spend literally hours after hours reading the entire history of the Orion Sector. My favourite was the Pax Humanica, when humans conquered everything and let the entire sector go to poo poo. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Bugs. Poor A.I. crappy interface. Oh, and little to no support after release.

There were even some strange design decisions which lead to the funny situation were the only things you ever needed were missiles and fighters.

The AI was too dumb to think things through, so you could literally win every battle by building ridiculous missile ships which could only fire 1-2 times in a battle, since they had so many missile bays there wasn't enough space for more than a few spare missiles anymore. Fighter craft were even more stupid, since every carrier essentially started refueling imaginary strike craft after a few minutes, followed by launching those imaginary fighters.

This meant, if a battle went on for long enough, your 13-bomber carrier could actually launch 26, then 39, then even more bombers total. This combined with a Star Trek-like shield mechanic (shield HP gets depleted, but recharging was ludicrously slow, so not much worth in a battle), made most real time battles rather short, with you mostly one-shotting entire AI-fleets. Generally the first massive salvo brought down the shields, the second salvo killed everything.

Luckily there was a total conversion mod called Ultima Orion which not only fixed a lot the official patches missed and introduced mechanices which had been in the game already but never switched on due to time constraints, it also re-balanced fighter craft and missiles to make them less overwhelming. The AI also got better designs tailor-made to let them do the best with what they have. The shield mechanic was completely redone to make battles longer and more exciting, the entire game was translated into German and the boring old Star Trek-like lore was thrown out and replaced with lore from famous German science-fiction.

So in essence those German fans made a completely new game out of MO3. Too bad you either have to understand German or spend hours using all the bug fixes, changes and updates one after another, hoping to not gently caress up your installation while doing this.

Personally, not having to micromanage everything was a good idea, but thanks to the bad AI it just didn't work. Even Ultima Orion runs into problems you have to work around, like marking every single design you don't want to build as obsolete, to prevent your AI from clogging your fleets with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I honestly rather liked the fluff for MoO3, and I can't really imagine that filling it full of fanfic stuff is a good replacement. But I suppose that's a matter of taste.

You mean things like "Class 4 Shield: Better than Class 3 Shield"? Yeah, that's some good stuff right there

• Locked thread