Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rime posted:

unrelenting coverage of government fuckups sparks actual change

For media in Canada (or do we just call it PostMedia now) I wouldn't hold my breath. Everything other than the Toronto Star, the Tyee and the CBC are owned by Conservative backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also get ready this morning Christy Clark is going to announce the revised taxation plan for extracting LNG in BC. Because apparently a 1.5% tax and all the TFWs you want isn't a good enough deal for foreign companies.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To whoever suggested we use "This 'thread' is on your ignore list" instead of 'user' in order to not single out PT6A: You'll live with your mistake until the next megathread. :sigh:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hexigrammus posted:

Just heard that Tony Clements as Ontario Minister of Health during SARS was flying around the world arguing against a travel ban being imposed on Canada.

I wonder what changed.

Let's not jump to accusations. We can't determine if it's due to the A) Wealth B) Skin colour or C) You can't hurt Canada's economy! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! for the hypocrisy shown by the government.

IMO it's probably A+C. It's a Big Deal when Europeans are being threatened with evil Government Regulations to not visit Canada. On the contrary the Ebola stricken nations don't have any value to Canada's economy, so shut the borders to protect Are People.

less than three has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Nov 6, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
With it so close in Victoria, they're having problems counting the mail-in ballots because people folded them. :lol:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Violet_Sky posted:

In other news, has the :shepface: mayor who wanted to ban PDA been elected? I sure hope not.

Nope, she came in 3rd with around 5%.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Violet_Sky posted:

Who the gently caress does that? :stare: When I went to vote, there were signs everywhere holding your hand and showing you how not to gently caress up.

I know right. My ballot had circles for my fingers that said HOLD BALLOT HERE.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBC: "It's painfully obvious that polls were terrible at predicting civic results - yet again"

canadian_pollsters.txt

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBC says Helps wins by 89 votes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBC: No recount in Victoria. @lisahelps tells me @DeanFortin phoned her to concede defeat.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

THC posted:

Looks like another win for Mayor DJ Gregor

Best possible outcome for LaPointe. Now the BC Liberals can appoint him to some high up position in a few years.

I'm looking at you, Suzanne Anton: Failed NPA mayoral candidate, new Minister of Justice.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone give me a simple run down on what was at stake and what will now happen in Vancouver? I always assumed the only differences between Vancouver politicans were how many PO-TO style condos they could suck off at once and if they believe in playing with the podium or just going for the tower.

Nothing will change. Gregor and his team secured another victory, we carry on as usual. Vision and NPA are basically the same on most fronts. It was just a question if you wanted developer cocksucking with a progressive bent or a right-wing bent.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

eXXon posted:

Are online retailers allowed to refuse to sell an item due to a price error after the order has been processed and payment verified, but just before it is shipped? I even got an email with a shipping confirmation, but the tracking number isn't working so it clearly hadn't actually been sent out yet.

The website claims they can do this in the terms & conditions, but I'm wondering if there's any legislation at all concerning online orders. I don't think physical stores are allowed to refuse sales under similar circumstances. And no, the particular item is not even remotely worth fighting over, I'm just curious.

Nah, consumers here don't have many rights other than "the product can't kill you."

http://www.consumerinformation.ca/eic/site/032.nsf/eng/01291.html

less than three has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Nov 26, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why don't we talk about something warm and fuzzy we all agree on. Like gently caress Canadian Telecom, nationalize all infrastructure.

Where the oligopoly have you by the balls: 300 local minutes, 300mb data. $70/month.

Where there's a ~government owned~ telco in the area: unlimited nationwide calling, 5gb data. $65/month.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congrats Calgary Stampeders on winning the Grey Cup!

Not like anyone cared about it. Nobody wants to watch Calgary or Hamilton. They couldn't even give away the tickets to the Cup.

Perhaps we need to change the CFL brackets so that there's always at least one popular team playing in the final.

less than three has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Dec 2, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I can't imagine the sort that would be concerned about that, I'd imagine they'd be so xenophobic they wouldn't eat any "foreign food" at all and probably think pizza is a papist plot to turn everyone italian.

Keep in mind people flipped out when Campbell's added a halal label to their soups which met the criteria (with no modification to the product.)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/sound-the-sharia-alarm-campbell-s-makes-halal-soups

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Initial D was a loving blight.

:psyboom:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Watching the Daily Show tonight I see CTV Toronto is airing a PSA during commercial break ~Think Of The Businesses Struggling To Hang On Thanks to LRT Construction~

Have we slid that far down the slippery slope where now it's now kosher for the news to "buy" ad time on their network to condemn things corporate doesn't like.

Mostly I'm surprised it was Bell to venture into this. I would expected Quebecor to do it first. Though I guess they don't own any high viewership properties who may be swayed.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

Are you really surprised? The media in this country is shameless when it comes to plugging a political agenda. They might not be as blatant about it as some American media but overall Canada has a media environment that is actually worse than Americas.

Most newspapers in this country are unprofitable and only actually exist to act as mouthpieces for their wealthy owners. During the latest Ontario election the editorial board of the Globe and Mail unanimously agreed to endorse the Liberals but they were unilaterally over ruled by Editor-in-Chief David Walmsley, who, at the behest of publisher Philip Crawley and the Thomson family (i.e. the people who own the Globe) forced them to instead write an endorsement of Tim Hudak's conservative.

Not that long ago newspapers were generally expected to have opinions that were broadly similar to the opinions of their readers. Yet in the latest Ontario election three of Toronto's four newspapers endorsed a political party that [i]has only won a single seat in Toronto in the last 15 years.[i] These papers no longer have any particular connection with their readership, they merely exist to service the vanities or economic interests of their owners.

Or there's this darkly comic memo from the Globe that was recently leaked where we found out that Globe writers are now expected to help generate "branded content" for advertisers.

And all this is without me even having talked about Quebecor or the Irvings. When it comes to media our country is a bad joke in search of a punchline.

I've acknowledged for a long time the print media is poo poo, I was just caught off guard to suddenly have it show up on prime-time TV. At least with CAPP or Government Of Canada adverts you can reasonably assume an agenda, I guess I was naively hoping our TV news wouldn't end up in the same sorry state, considering how much they can influence peoples' opinion.

infernal machines posted:

Are you sure it wasn't bought by one of the BIAs in an affected area? The Roncessvalles BIA did a big "buy local" push towards the end of the two year rolling shutdown of the street during the streetcar construction. I don't know if they had TV ads but there were print and TTC/transit stop signage.

No, it's a CTV News spot. "Sticking up for the public, we're only asking questions!"

less than three has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Dec 10, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

I got Post-materialist Left :smug:

Yep. :smug::hf::smug:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

Another issue with this survey is that I had very little sense of how I should list my priorities. As far as I'm concerned poverty, inequality, jobs and the environment are all directly economic issues. I was also concerned that putting "jobs" high up on the list would be interpreted as "favours giving sloppy blowjobs to the job creators".

As far as political compasses go this one wasn't bad but if you happen to be someone whose political views are predicated on the assumption that the organization of the economy is the root cause of many of our problems then the survey actually does a pretty piss poor job of capturing your opinions because you're asked to choose between buzzwords that you see as largely meaningless.

Yeah. I had that awkward feeling too a few times when they were narrowing down my choices, such as asking me to pick between JOBS ECONOMY and INCOME INEQUALITY. There wasn't a seemingly good way to say that jobs and the economy are important, however it should be built with well paid workers with a strong safety net and fighting income inequality.

A few of mine came between picking "Income Inequality/Poverty/Civil Liberties" versus "Jobs/Economy/Taxation" which left me going "Oh god what do I pick. You solve all of those with a mix of the other things"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
BC Government was hit with a virus/worm today. :munch:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

I will be pleasantly surprised if we actually get some convictions out of this. It is a testament to how awful our other parties are that basically everyone knows the Ontario Provincial Liberals are hugely corrupt and yet they win anyway.

:hf:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fixed link:

Harper government distributing pre-approved news via publicity agency

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Merry Christmas to all! May our livers survive 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCU1Nuct0t8&t=72s

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Goon posted:

The fact that more people aren't up in arms over all the fuckery that Deepak Chopra has pulled to destroy Canada Post or even his link to the think tank that recommended all these "cost efficiencies" in the first place fills me with so much fury.

Honestly though, what can we do until the CPC isn't in power. The general public responds far better to "This public service isn't turning a profit! Slash, burn!" compared to "The Harper Government appointed a guy to run Canada Post into the ground, and he's delivering on the promise."

The elimination of home delivery is a fantastic wedge issue, because it allows the suburban, Conservative crowd to shriek "Well my McMansion has never had home delivery, so I don't see what you urban pussies are so upset about. I don't have it, why should you!"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does anyone recall the news article talking about new Vancouver graduates fleeing because they can grab higher salaries with less cost of living literally anywhere else? Trying to explain why "Engineers and developers should be more than happy to accept $40-50k salary to work here!" is dumb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

It's not ALL that though, I read an article a few years ago (so my memory is hazy and while the gist is correct I'm really making the numbers up) that Greeks with a swimming pool (so one would assume higher income) have to pay a tax on it every year. Something like 500 people paid that tax in the year before the article was written, but if you look at Google Earth of Athens there's like 15,000 pools.

It's kinda like the yearly TV tax in the UK, but the UK has the resources to enforce it. Through the magic of ~technology~ their tax evasion rates for TV is only 5%.

Beware the TV Detection Van!

less than three has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Jan 30, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cultural Imperial posted:

You know what's loving weird? Not having portable electronic health records like in the NHS.

Because we keep hiring CGI to try and (fail) to do it. Which is even more hilarious due to the fact despite their long record of being incapable of doing anything, the US hired them to make the Healthcare.gov exchange.

CGI staff laughed "We managed to accomplish the one thing Republicans couldn't, we sabotaged Obamacare."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Continuing in the hypocrisy of lobbying groups:

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Stephen+Hume+Anti+group+hijacked+transit+debate/10780171/story.html

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is made up of 7 libertarians who somehow managed to be considered an authority worth interviewing a dissenting view on new programs or to support whatever the Fraser Institute is hawking this week.

They're constantly on the offensive demanding "public audits, no more spending, transparency!" for everybody except themselves.

They want full reporting about donations, spending and activities on the part of the "Yes" side of the upcoming transit plebiscite. Asking the CTF to provide the same details about their "No" campaign? Of course not! They can't share their donors or expenses because "vindictive bureaucrats, politicians, union activists, and other stalwarts of the entitlement state" might retaliate against them.

less than three has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Feb 3, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sassafras posted:

This part is actually true though. It's like the accusations that much of the reason that the CRA has gone after people with large TFSAs for "conducting a business" inside their accounts with a few trades per month is just jealousy over them being too successful at trading. (Of course, TFSAs are problematic due to financial hijinks by more knowledgable investors, the old lifetime capital gains exclusion was probably a better system.) non profit groups who happen to say anything negative that could be remotely related to the Harper Government.

ftfy.

When we see CRA audits of the Fraser Institute, Manning Centre and CTF alongside everyone else I'll be willing to give more benefit of doubt.

less than three has issued a correction as of 08:05 on Feb 3, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sassafras posted:

See! Vindictive politicians and bureaucrats! Everywhere! (Point re: hypocrisy granted)

Demanding left wing movements declare all publicly, but they don't have to because ~reasons~ is dumb and they deserve to be called out on it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

And OLP ONDP HQ has more complete results out - 150/238 polls and Thibeault is ahead by 200 :ohdear:

Is this on the web anywhere?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm assuming they're going to throw out all the submissions from IP addresses outside of Alberta? Or did they just not think of that because they're incompetent.

I voted to implement a progressive income tax and raise corporate taxes.

Though I realise now nowhere was the option of 'increase royalties on oil production' fuckin' lol.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

supersnowman posted:

I keep remembering telling student on strike how even if hey "won" their battle to block raise on tuition cost, they would just be shoveling the problem a bit further down the line because at some point cuts raising revenues would have to be made at large.

e: f,b.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just want to point out before it's gone forever, J.J. McCullough started writing for them apparently. http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2015/02/20150212-120508.html

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

All 8000 of them.

I question how many of their viewers/likes are from people watching solely to mock their dumb antics and post about it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are all of the eco-terrorist crimes against Canada that are obviously happening to cause this crackdown? I mean Wiebo had that reign of terror that included hundreds of deaths, ones of economies damaged, and so on, but that was a while ago. As the Glob said "There is a growing, highly organized and well-financed anti-Canada petroleum movement that consists of peaceful activists, militants and violent extremists who are opposed to society’s reliance on fossil fuels". Where? Who? What violence has occurred? Since when is 'anti-petroleum' 'anti-Canada'?

There was a Kinder Morgan protest in Burnaby that cost RCMP dollars.

Other than that, :iiam:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

can we somehow make this the thread title, or at least his picture for election 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since Christy Clark's BC Liberals just love losing court challenges, the idea of the day is trying to break the BC Hydro union.

• Locked thread