Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Polling in Canada is pointless because its easy to answer a phone/survey question but its apparently hard as hell to walk/drive around the corner to actually cast that vote. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The only difference between the terrorists and PT6A is that he shouts "For Capitalism!" before he pulls the trigger.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0IC1RA20141023?irpc=932

Well thank goodness Harper is doing something about this IS menace!

Because following in the vein of kneejerk overreactions like the US did will certainly help!

:(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If you don't want to read the article, then don't comment on it. It isn't my job to spoon feed you ideas. :rolleyes:

No, thats the job of the PMO. :downsrim:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

For everyone outside the Centre of the Universe:

John Tory basically gave power to every right wing Ford sycophant on Council today by naming them committee chairs. Then he named probably the most spiteful of the bunch Denzil Minnan-Wong as his Deputy. Oh, and probably the most heinous is that he's keeping on incompentant, doesn't-even-know-the-rules Frances Nunziata as Speaker.

I hope everyone who voted strategically chokes on their own stupidity.

Keeping his enemies closer. Clever. No way at all that could backfire. Nope. :shepface:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

The Conservatives couldn't care less about Canada.

Fixed for the sad, sad truth. :(

I know we all like to bang our provincial superiority drums, but the vast majority of people in this country (even Albertans with quad cabs and truck nuts) are good people and dont deserve this kind of abuse. Id love to see Harper's "legacy" end the same way Mulroney's did; have his grand party reduced to 2 seats and a wet fart.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

In the interest of fairness we should place it side-by-side with a monument to the victims of violence committed in the name of opening up markets and liberalizing trade.

Yes but what would you use to symbolize that?

And it cant be just a giant phallus. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ID129 posted:

I love how the comments are disabled and there was only one visible minority.

You mean rich, white male isnt a minority??

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

But I guess that'd be like giving a category on the right for white nationalists or fascists.

You mean the Republican Party? :downsrim:

Derailing from political compass chat, but a chat with my family tonight resulted in... an odd experience. Watching the news I ended up throwing a question out "When did Canada start assuming we were a big part of what goes on in the world?".

My grandparents replied "During Mulroney's run as PM. He made us proud to be Canadian and put us on the map!"
My parents replied "When Mulroney hosed up and sold us out in the name of global economy."

I was honestly expecting Trudeau from both, and with reversed opinions.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Capitalism: A Future Past

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

This post brought to you by Canada's Strong Stable Conservative Majority Government.

And Canada's Economic Action Plan!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

So I saw this and felt very disappointed.
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6507032

It's about Crown, a company that makes all the cans for Canada's major breweries and how they wanted to completely gut the salaries and benefits of their employees.

Unlike other companies they don't even have the excuse of poor economic performance. Their employees are apparently some of the most productive and the company was making record breaking profits.

But it doesn't stop there. They're actively engaging in union busting and sending in strikebreakers to replace all the striking workers. This is all happening under the OLP's noses and they are doing nothing to intervene.

OLP doesnt give a poo poo about unions or workers rights, dont kid yourself. The fact that it was the better option over Tim "Right to Work" Hudak is still one of the saddest parts of the last provincial election.

Well, that and Horwath pissing away one of the best budgets we have seen in decades in a petty attempt to wrestle away power.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hagborn posted:

Submitted for your approval!

Im at a loss for words. All those jokes we used to make about Alberta being able to out-Texas Texas... :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

less than three posted:

Because we keep hiring CGI to try and (fail) to do it. Which is even more hilarious due to the fact despite their long record of being incapable of doing anything, the US hired them to make the Healthcare.gov exchange.

CGI staff laughed "We managed to accomplish the one thing Republicans couldn't, we sabotaged Obamacare."

Is that the same company that has been trying and failing to get ehealth Ontario up and running in Ontario? Because holy poo poo getting someone competent to come in and set things up would make my job 100 times easier.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I'm glad you'll be okay, it's just unfortunate that a lot of Canadians, especially those with skills mostly utilized in the oil industry, will be facing some lean years and a lot of suffering, when it didn't have to be this way. Alberta could have been getting ready for this; instead it let oil companies rob it blind. This is a cycle that's happened again and again throughout the Anglosphere and yet the free market right remains the thing seen as best for the economy despite decades of history showing the value of social investment and savings.

But even try to get people in the construction industry or oil patch to start looking at other options and you'll encounter crazy amounts of hostility.

How can so many people be convinced of poo poo that hurts them so much

Its terrible to say, but we live in a society that is very selfish and vain. People dont care if they pick the option that hurts them if it hurts their perceived rich neighbour more. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

Back to actual politics:

Why the hell are the Liberals backing this, and sight-unseen at that? What possible potential Liberal voter is going to be sold by curtailing freedoms in the name of security?

I think this is a good example of the biggest problem the LPC is going to face in the upcoming election. They lost a lot of support in the last election and seem to be taking way too broad of an approach on reaching out to their target base (hint: its not and never will be the far right, stop being dumb). It was also pointed out that they did this when they described the middle class and seems to be something they are content in running with.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

I know you said you aren't a SJW by any measure but your viewpoint is actually more progressive than, roughly speaking, the majority of Canada. Certainly well ahead of anyone 35+ years old.

Hey. :mad:

I like to think 40 is the cutoff because I know a lot of people my age that arent socially backwards cavepeople that think gender issues dont exist, that First Nations people are the cause of all problems, and that capitalism will lead us all to Scrooge McDuck money vaults to swim around in if we only use those bootstraps harder.

Theyre pretty dumb when it comes to housing and personal finances but we have a thread for that. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

THC posted:

What qualifications are those? Obstructing processes so nothing gets done? Being emphatic?

He can dodge shoes like a loving pro.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rime posted:

We don't insist on rubbing ourselves all over the bloody-lovely corpses of our deceased relatives, for starters, nor would we be stealing their corpses from hospitals in order to do so. Unlike most of Africa, I suspect the average Canadian or American has at least a vague understanding of hygiene practices and that diseases are not spread (nor defeated) by magic ju-ju.

Ebola is not an airborne illness, it is transmitted exclusively via fluids and has no animal vector in North America.

Well Toronto is currently having an outbreak of measles because people are stupid enough to think that vaccines cause all kinds of crazy poo poo and arent getting their kids vaccinated. Against a disease that is most harmful to young children because of their developing immune systems. They dont get their wisdom from a god or magic ju-ju, but from a former Playboy model.

Never doubt the stupidity of North Americans. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Measles spreads in a much different manner than Ebola and it does take quite a bit of exposure to contract it.

Oh trust me I know, Ive spent the last 3 weeks researching it for my sterile practices assignment. :v:

I was just being pedantic about his statement that North Americans arent dumb about protecting themselves from pathogens when we clearly dont.

How has vancouver not been decimated by measles yet? This loving city is ripe for destruction and White People Empowering Themselves Over Their Healthcare.

The largest measles outbreak since the disease was declared "beaten" in the 70s happened in the Fraser Valley just this year!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This man wants to run a country. :psyduck:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm really not looking forward to moving back to Ontario

Im looking forward to moving away from Ontario after I graduate this year. :toot:

Thankfully I can do my registration in any other province now (except Quebec because of course).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

To be fair, if Alberta wanted good government with its corrupt head not firmly stuck up its miserable, gaping rear end, we probably wouldn't have voted overwhelmingly PC. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I dont usually cut Albertans much slack, but in this case I will. That special brand of stupid isnt exclusive to Alberta, we here in Ontario are stuck in a similar "But this time it will be different!" situation that is inevitably going to backfire right in our dumb faces.

This does not mean that I wanted one of the other options we had available. Hudak was literally a Republican.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lassitude posted:

The CPC is a cheap knock-off of the US Republicans. No surprise that their tactics are designed to encourage their constituents to pretend like they're Americans and have some big strong military they can safely jerk off over every night.

But God help those poor souls after they leave the military. Aint nothing going to be left for them but contempt and PTSD. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah but natural immunity is totally worth having your kid suffer through a disease that can scar, disable or even kill them. Those emotional and physical scars that they will carry for life are a small price to pay for sticking it to Big Pharma!

I guess the only bright side is a place like that would be easy to quarantine and isolate when an outbreak actually happens.

I really hope this doesnt become a political issue, even if this is an election year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I'll go back and take a better picture. Apparently weed cures epilepsy

If its being marketed as a cure then yeah, that is hilarious.

In all likelihood its not, instead being used in conjunction with other meds to treat legitimately lovely disease symptoms. Dont let me stop you morons from overreacting though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duck Rodgers posted:

There's also a decent chance that they're just spreading the net as wide as possible in order to allow more people access to legal weed, even if the weed has no effect on the disease.

Yeah thats unfortunately also true. There are going to be a lot of people trying to capitalize on this, which sucks for the people who could legitimately use it. We also dont have near enough clinical studies or trials on even the diseases its supposed to help manage symptoms with, so people are going to be throwing everything at the weed wall to see what sticks until then. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

If it's good at dealing with pain, stress, insomnia (I can attest to this one) and depression (and/or just feeling like poo poo), then everyone should be allowed to smoke it because pretty much everyone is dealing with one of those things at any given time. Why do we have to create some bizarre bullshit system to pretend otherwise?

Marijuana was actually legal in Canada (and the USA) until WWI. Then troops stuck in the shittiest conditions ever known to man (trenches were literal disease pits) started smoking weed to help alleviate the horrors of war and we cant have that now can we?!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

No because "all natural" is meaningless.

We dont need to tell them that. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Which is why my God, Catholic God who is best friends with Pope Francis, is the best God.

Sorry but Morgan Freeman is still the best God. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

supersnowman posted:

I keep remembering telling student on strike how even if hey "won" their battle to block raise on tuition cost, they would just be shoveling the problem a bit further down the line because at some point cuts would have to be made at large. Turns out I was not all that far from the truth if we look at how much the liberals have to cut right now.

You know cuts arent necessary if the government was doing its job and increasing its tax revenue instead of constantly lowering it by reducing taxes on corporations and the super rich right?

How is this even an argument?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

I still have no idea who Sun's market was supposed to be, or who Ezra Levant appeals to. Even in Calgary, I don't know of anyone who ever watched Sun News, and I don't know of anyone that doesn't think Ezra Levant is an empty-headed pillock, and I know people who have unironically called me a pinko.

I have a friend that loved the network and was always linking me to Levant poo poo. He is a great guy and normally pretty intelligent, but oh man does he ever go off into lunacy once Sun News is brought up. Also Nenshi. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cowofwar posted:

So why are there CPC ads lately on the radio stations in Ontario when the election hasn't been announced? I thought there were restrictive laws about election advertising.

Since when have pesky laws stopped Dear Leader from doing everything he wants in the past?

And in the future because at this point Ive already come to accept that voter turnout in this country will once again be dismal enough to hand his rear end another government. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

One time my parents and I were on vacation in Ontario. We were driving down the highway and we were in this boonie-town. A trailer drove past us with antlers and a confederate flag on the back. :stare:

You dont need to go to northern Ontario to see pickup trucks draped in the union jack/confederate flag. Ive seen them in the Toronto burbs. This province has a serious identity crisis its dealing with right now. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I had a small argument last night along those lines. This guy was freaking out saying he supports the rights of workers but THE ECONOMY and our trains are critical infrastructure so they shouldn't be allowed to strike, just like doctors or police "imagine if the police went on strike for a week! Or all the hospitals shut down" to which I said "If the infrastructure is so critical we should nationalize it, otherwise it's just another private business that can rise or fall for any reason" to which I got a big rant about how that would be unfair to the owners of the railways and we have to respect private property but the railways are so critical and it's unfair for some greedy workers to hold the whole economy hostage. "If they're so important I guess we can pay them more"

So many people want corporations to have subsidies and protections as if they were national infrastructure without nationalizing them. Subsidize risk, privatize profits of course. It's good for the economy!

I still dont get the thinking behind that. Youd rather have some greedy CEO/execs make money than the government? Just because its nationalized doesnt mean it turns into an instant drain on the coffers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

angerbeet posted:

Public Health tends to work with evidence-based policies on vaccination, which is great - but their PR arm tends to work at break-neck speeds so suddenly the immunization schedule changes and YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE

I blame that more on the media and their need to fear people into watching their lovely stories. Public Health can only do so much and what they have to say wont be all that interesting to most people, so if you can jazz it up a bit and turn "40% effectiveness" into "THE FLU SHOT FAILED :derp:" then youve got yourself a few weeks worth of viewership!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Twitter is reporting that Canadian retailer bikini village is now bankrupt

*checks thermometer outside* Yep. Never could have seen that one coming!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

I'm more looking forward to a return to the 80s where nobody had any money and kids got hand-me-down clothes by the garbage bag and used toys for Christmas.

And we liked it. :colbert:

The good ol days of $80-100 vidya games. Which, sadly, we arent that far from being at again after checking prices on Steam for new game. I cant wait for bread, toilet paper and dairy to become a luxury again. :corsair:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mederlock posted:

I too am excited for the coming days of scraping by with large portions of my family and friends being at or near the poverty line.

We are already there. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mederlock posted:

We're practically there but our banking system and irresponsible decisions by the BoC have allowed people who should be living like they're at the poverty line and making decisions to save and make wiser long term plans to instead borrow loads of money and make believe that they're middle class.

Capitalism!

I guess everyone in CanPol is now flagged by CSIS as anti-petroleum. Dibs on the top bunk!

• Locked thread