Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Another zombie show? God, this is just another ripoff of The Walking Dead right?

Not really

The show abandons the super serious heavy drama of The Walking Dead and immediately starts the show with a guy who is immune to the zombie plague, and a definite goal for the cast, and some hilarious zombie deaths. This is a typical low budget SyFy show with a cast of mostly no name people (DJ Qualls is the most famous so that should tell you something) on a great adventure across the zombiefied USA.

The plot is bare bones "head west with the guy, try to survive". DJ Qualls is the Army tech guy who's the only one left alive in the super secret Army base with a command console that lets him access satellites, communication equipment, etc. to try and help guide the cast to their destination. The show will occasionally do flashbacks to expand on the main characters but its not a focus of the show.

To give you an idea of the tone of the show, here are the episode titles

Episode 2: Fracking Zombies
The cast comes across a gas refinery and fights zombies there
Episode 3: Philly Feast (if you really want to watch this show don't read the spoiler)
We're introduced to a cult like family living well in the city of Philly, halfway through the show we discover the guy is keeping living people tied up and restrained in the basement while he cuts off parts of them for food, and we get a hilariously gross scene where they bring a guy up to the table and the cult leader starts trimming off bits like he's carving a turkey Basically something that The Walking Dead has taken over 4 seasons to get around to this show revels in showing as early as possible. Plus the cast comes across the Liberty Bell in the back of a truck, try to take it to "save" it, and when the truck spins out the Bell flies off at 60+ mph careening down the street taking out zombies left and right.
Episode 4: Full Metal Zombie
Something to do with military remnants, you get the idea. Doc, the crazy old guy, gets trapped in a enclosed space with a zombie, both of them restrained by cables and can barely move, and he calms down the zombie by blowing pot smoke into its face until he gets the zombie high.

Oh, and here's a taste of what to expect.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
This show is better than the walking dead.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Things I like about this show:

-DJ Qualls as a DJ is something I find amusing
-I have a soft spot for cowardly self-serving protagonists. I'll be the first to admit Murphy needs more dimension to his character but I'd rather have humanity's last, best chance for survival be someone who grows into the role rather than someone the writers think is a saint right off the bat
-Zombie dogs, and this week's episode had a mention of zombie birds being the probable source of the outbreak so we'll likely see more zombie animals at some point
-Having a genuine goal for the heroes to pursue saves it from the biggest flaw of The Walking Dead, namely that it most likely won't get stuck in a formula of finding a suitable living space, getting used to that living space, then fleeing it when a sudden onset of zombies or living villains shows up, repeat ad nauseam. However this does open the show up to "We need gas/food/bullets let's go to X" becoming just as repetitive so I could be way off about this.

Things I don't like:

-Most of the protagonists aren't that interesting to me
-Could definitely be helped by a bigger budget.
-I'm not sure if 10K is the result of the writers trying too hard to make a badass character or making a character who tries too hard to be badass.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The OP is a monster for trying to make the show seem bearable.

It's basically a low budget asylum production without any sense of fun

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
have a handful of SSRI's man, this show is tits.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

etalian posted:

without any sense of fun

LIES

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Just watched the first episode. "I didn't tell him to get eaten by a baby!" is probably going to be one of my favorite lines from a show for awhile.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KilGrey posted:

Just watched the first episode. "I didn't tell him to get eaten by a baby!" is probably going to be one of my favorite lines from a show for awhile.

harold perrineau can never catch a break

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
It's pretty bad but in a good way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Each episode gets more and more over the top, in a good way. They give no fucks.

Also the preview next week kicked rear end.

Tornado full of zombies heads to the characters "Is that what I think it is? Well it ain't sharks!"

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 6, 2014

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Never get off the boat!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Each episode gets more and more over the top, in a good way. They give no fucks.

Also the preview next week kicked rear end.

Tornado full of zombies heads to the characters "Is that what I think it is? Well it ain't sharks!"

well since everyone loved sharknado so much

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same production company.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Just dug into the first ep and I don't hate it. It seems like a bit of fun. Going to check out the other eps over the weekend.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just a request to anyone out there, I really, really want some gifs of the hilariously great/bad scenes, Liberty Bell, General falling off the roof with 2 desert eagles firing, Doc handing the joint to the zombie, etc.

I still think most people think is this low budget serious drama and I'm hoping a few examples of what to expect will sway them.

edit: Also, the tragic "Doc's dead" scene where they have a moment to mourn his loss then he shows up burnt to gently caress yelling at them for throwing a grenade down the shaft he was stuck it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 11, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The funniest thing about this series is when 10K joins the group.

"Hey, you are the guy that saved me before! Wanna come along?"

":shrug:"

I'd never accuse Z Nation of being good, but it's quite fun so far and I feel like schlocky B-level horror has been underrepresented on television - TWD takes itself too seriously and AHS is...well...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Exactly. Not everything has to be Breaking Bad to be fun to watch. I like the characters in Z Nation more after a couple episodes than the ones in the Walking Dead, mostly because they don't take it seriously and make everyone emotionally-scarred and irrational for one reason or another. It's a neat show that isn't supposed to be more than a fun hour in zombie apocalypse world.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
When it comes to entertainment media i always assumed "good" just referred to how entertaining something is.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

When it comes to entertainment media i always assumed "good" just referred to how entertaining something is.

It does but a lot of people don't understand that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I suppose it's good as in it does what it sets off to accomplish quite well. Something can be entertaining and bad tho, that's where the whole concept of "so bad it's good" comes from. Z Nation isn't an example of that, it knows what it's trying to be. Maybe good was a bad word to use - it's not complex and genre-redefining, it doesn't have HBO-levels of production values, but who cares?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I'm just finding it loads of fun to watch, its silly. But it feels exactly like what a zombie show should be, and it doesn't drag anything out. I'm really hoping we get another season of it, but sadly I doubt it.

Anyway, I made 4 gifs from the first 2 episodes. Going to make some more in time, though.

*edit*

Ah hell, I just NEEDED to make this one.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 13, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Great GIFs, but could you make a variant of the fourth that includes Doc cackling with glee? For me, that made the segment. :v:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Gave the first episode a try after seeing some gifs over in PYF. Ended up binging to episode 5 right there and then.

This is not a good show, and I'm not an Asylum fan by any means, but holy gently caress this show is entertaining.
I already like all the characters, they actually fight zombies on a regular basis, and it feels like they've gotten the worst tropes out of the way and now they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

The writing isn't great but I don't feel the characters are incompetent, it's almost the opposite problem. The characters are totally competent so it's jarring when they do something dumb for the sake of the plot.

i.e. After they filled up the gas truck, and the SUV comes flying in to crash into the storage tank. Garnet and co stand there and watch the entire thing happen frozen in place. It's only after the SUV gets swarmed that Garnet finally goes "Get out of here! I'll go save him!" and everyone RUNS off. It's shown that Garnet had enough time to kill the zombies, save Murphy and get to a safe distance.. but nobody thinks to jump into the gas truck they just fixed and filled, and drive it off to a safe distance while Garnet's doing his rescuing.
I realize it was for the sake of plot, they couldn't have a half full gas truck three episodes in, so they had to sit back and watch it blow up, but it really took the wind out of that episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I was not expecting them to kill of Garnet in this episode, and Murphy becoming too zombie-like for the zombies is worrying. On the gratuitous zombie violence front the egg-beater kill was awesome

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

I was not expecting them to kill of Garnet in this episode, and Murphy becoming too zombie-like for the zombies is worrying. On the gratuitous zombie violence front the egg-beater kill was awesome
These are exactly my thoughts on the episode.

Also, Murphy is kind of reminding me of Cricket from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; every time you see him, he looks a lot rougher.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah it's basically like gently caress you we're killing the Rick character. Too bad, I liked that dude.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This show is stupid.

This show is the best new show this fall. It is just some constant b-film goodness.

This week's episode surprised me a bit, but I can see why they did it. Have to deviate from being compared to the Walking Dead. Honestly too I hope everyone dies and if there is another season it is new survivors with the only constant being DJ.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

egg beater to head was the best zombie kill of the week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Caedus posted:

The characters are totally competent so it's jarring when they do something dumb for the sake of the plot.

Most shows do that because the writers/producers are lazy, or rushed, or just don't give a gently caress; but here it's obviously on purpose. I've decided to revel in it like a dog rolling on a dead animal.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Guys, please spoiler stuff. I didn't get to watch the ep until late last night (I'm in Australia so I've no idea when it airs) and while spoilers aren't such a big deal, I was pretty bummed to have Garnet being killed spoilt before I'd seen it, but I guess that's kinda on me for checking the thread before I'd checked for a new ep.

Either way though, I'm enjoying this way more then I expected when I first heard about it. And I'm really happy to see they're not just dragging poo poo out for a while season, like TWD does. Egg beater to head was amazing, Garnets death kinda sucks because I had gotten to like him, but at least it wasn't Doc, because I'm not sure what I'll do if that lovable bastard dies. and Murphy.. well, I think we're about to see him come into his own, which could be really neat as I was starting to get sick of his poo poo. But now, it could get interesting.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I like this show. It's not as good a show as many others, but it's certainly better than a good many. The production looks decent, it has fun, the writing for the characters is consistant across the board, and the characters themselves are fairly likeable and competent. I would not call it a bad show. A bad show does things badly. This just does what it set out to do. I would say it is actually much, much better than the Walking Dead in everything but the production.

Anyone that likes zombie productions should be encouraged to give it a shot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tehsid posted:

Guys, please spoiler stuff. I didn't get to watch the ep until late last night (I'm in Australia so I've no idea when it airs) and while spoilers aren't such a big deal, I was pretty bummed to have Garnet being killed spoilt before I'd seen it, but I guess that's kinda on me for checking the thread before I'd checked for a new ep.

Either way though, I'm enjoying this way more then I expected when I first heard about it. And I'm really happy to see they're not just dragging poo poo out for a while season, like TWD does. Egg beater to head was amazing, Garnets death kinda sucks because I had gotten to like him, but at least it wasn't Doc, because I'm not sure what I'll do if that lovable bastard dies. and Murphy.. well, I think we're about to see him come into his own, which could be really neat as I was starting to get sick of his poo poo. But now, it could get interesting.

You should probably just not browse the thread until you've watched the latest episode.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I like this show, it's stupid, but I enjoy it, I don't let myself try to question anything, I laugh at the special effects being so corny. I accept it as a comedy and the cheesiness works for it. I still couldn't deal with the zombie baby though, the only zombie in existence that runs and hides, it kinda reminded me of the hand scene from Evil Dead 2. That was okay, it was the drat noises they had it making, was it purring? it sounded like it was purring. It was almost as stupid as the zombie dog in the second episode having pig sound effects. Isn't growling and barking scary enough, why do I keep hearing squealing piglets in horror. Piglets ain't scary.

I still eagerly await every new episode, not sure if I like Citizen Z starting to get a stalker crush on the girl, he was a fun nerdy guy, now he's one of 'those' nerdy guys.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

GreenNight posted:

You should probably just not browse the thread until you've watched the latest episode.

Yeah, probably. I'm just so used to stuff being tagged in other threads that I kinda expected it here, too. But I also didn't realise the episode had aired yet. But hey, I know for next time now!

QwertySanchez posted:

...not sure if I like Citizen Z starting to get a stalker crush on the girl, he was a fun nerdy guy, now he's one of 'those' nerdy guys.

I feel the same. I hope they just let this go now. We get it, he's lonely, but that's a bit much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tehsid posted:

Yeah, probably. I'm just so used to stuff being tagged in other threads that I kinda expected it here, too. But I also didn't realise the episode had aired yet. But hey, I know for next time now!

I feel the same. I hope they just let this go now. We get it, he's lonely, but that's a bit much.

It seems more like the only way for him to maintain his sanity. Yeah he's fixated on her, but the whole "writing back and forth to himself" came off more as his imaginary friend helping him talk through the insane pressure he's under.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pentyne posted:

It seems more like the only way for him to maintain his sanity. Yeah he's fixated on her, but the whole "writing back and forth to himself" came off more as his imaginary friend helping him talk through the insane pressure he's under.

It came off more as creepy stalker. It would have been less so if the next episode it showed him doing it again, but with a different person.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Renewed!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/z-nation-renewed-for-2nd-season.html

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome. Really happy about this! I hope this show gets more viewers.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

It came off more as creepy stalker. It would have been less so if the next episode it showed him doing it again, but with a different person.
Except she is the different person. In the earlier episodes, he was fixated on that other woman. The dude's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Except she is the different person. In the earlier episodes, he was fixated on that other woman. The dude's nuts.

maybe the whole zombie cure and Scooby gang is just a figment of Citizen Z's imagination?

• Locked thread