Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I mean whats the problem here? You wouldn'r have built an empire of you had the opporitunity? loving Japan joined late in the game, and commited atrocities that we (the europeans) condemned. If they could, everyrone can. Sad bickering from malay and philipinos and whetever who complain that europeans screwed them over. We were simply better in this game. Yes of course we were. Because we won. If you had won, we would be complaining now. So shut the gently caress up, man up and do your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

white people are poo poo

- white guy

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hey, I'm a historian and "Empires" are not actually a thing, nationalism is essentially a big lie and you're actually a sad lonely motherfucker with no real connection to your 'ancestors' or whatever the gently caress who certainly had very different values and goals from you.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Hey, I'm a historian and "Empires" are not actually a thing, nationalism is essentially a big lie and you're actually a sad lonely motherfucker with no real connection to your 'ancestors' or whatever the gently caress who certainly had very different values and goals from you.

empires are a thing, you are a poo poo historian

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Empires are a way of making you feel like the world makes sense motherfucker, now let's dish about anime

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

but...did u know thursday actually means thors day.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Empires are a way of making you feel like the world makes sense motherfucker, now let's dish about anime

i dont think ur actually a historian :gurf:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Woah if we go down this road I'll accuse you of not being the character in your username, it will get ugly, let's cool it.

Empires are totally a western construction to legitimize our particular conception of authority and the centuries of piracy, raiding and economic domination we inflicted on other continents though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What I'm saying is that we just went in, and done it. That was the game at the moment and won at it. So stop whining, and create something.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

Woah if we go down this road I'll accuse you of not being the character in your username, it will get ugly, let's cool it.

Empires are totally a western construction to legitimize our particular conception of authority and the centuries of piracy, raiding and economic domination we inflicted on other continents though.

thats what everyone means by empires though.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Fuk u cracka

•stabs u•

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I have eaten greedily of the flesh of the world and ye of darkened caste may pick merrily at what bones I leave in the dust.

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
white people going "this but unironically" in response to some angry tumblr "kill whitey" thing is pretty awkward though

white people should stick to "im gay"

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
everybody here is either white or functionally white and a big part of gbs is self-loathing, op

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Lol if you give a poo poo about white identity becausr youbhave no ethnicity left

Owned

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

i dont see how that makes empires not a real thing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

gently caress Your Website posted:

Fuk u cracka

•stabs u•

Look at the second poster in this thread, look at this bitch. This person has already given in, he is sad and useless. You don't even have to stab him.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i do not drive as tensely as you may have been led to believe and i find these comparisons very hurtful and damaging to future race relations

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
people who guffaw about being white are usually incredibly loving white and are what people who don't guffaw about being white think about when other people say 'white people'

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's nonsense. Where do you define the line between raiding---highly successful raiding, let's allow---and empire? Take the Viking Invasions for example. Here we have quick raids for plunder against an ostensibly more powerful opponent---the Saxon kingdoms or the Carolingian Empire---successfully carried out slowly escalating into a serious invasion (for various reasons... medieval scholars actually suggested scandinavians just had too many babies because they were too dumb, thus the continual 'ramping up' of viking invasions) that intended to actually carve out some territory, did so in England and only ended in Frankia due to being bought off. Obviously not an empire but most of the ingredients are there. The real difference is in racial construction, 'we' versus 'they,' where 'they' are defined by an actual racial system. It requires a taxonomy of humanity!

In the sense we understand it empires are not a thing that existed more than 300 years ago. It's actually a phenomenon unique to the paramountcy of European nations and it's a lot more insidious than burying an axe in some monk's face and taking his candelabra.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

if youre not proud of your white heritage than youre a race traitor

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
OP sounds like he's bragging over a game of civ that he won haha.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

are we counting italians and irish and jews as white?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

if youre not proud of your white heritage than youre a race traitor

Whites are the goofy smurfs of doom who spread disease and banks across our sorry planet

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

It's nonsense. Where do you define the line between raiding---highly successful raiding, let's allow---and empire? Take the Viking Invasions for example. Here we have quick raids for plunder against an ostensibly more powerful opponent---the Saxon kingdoms or the Carolingian Empire---successfully carried out slowly escalating into a serious invasion (for various reasons... medieval scholars actually suggested scandinavians just had too many babies because they were too dumb, thus the continual 'ramping up' of viking invasions) that intended to actually carve out some territory, did so in England and only ended in Frankia due to being bought off. Obviously not an empire but most of the ingredients are there. The real difference is in racial construction, 'we' versus 'they,' where 'they' are defined by an actual racial system. It requires a taxonomy of humanity!

In the sense we understand it empires are not a thing that existed more than 300 years ago. It's actually a phenomenon unique to the paramountcy of European nations and it's a lot more insidious than burying an axe in some monk's face and taking his candelabra.

please stop

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

are we counting italians and irish and jews as white?

yes on technicality but no when it comes to the blogs of socially conscious white americans

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

so at some point empires existed

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

etrue, there was little difference between viking raids by petty norse warlords and massive centralized states ruling over millions of people such as the roman "empire"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Harime Nui posted:

You say it's nonsence, and than nothing relating to actual empires? I asgree that empires were a roman invention but the rest of your post is garbage.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

etrue, there was little difference between viking raids by petty norse warlords and massive centralized states ruling over millions of people such as the roman "empire"

Petty norse warlords is really unfair, in the ninth century you've got Swein Forkbeard and in the eleventh you've got Knut the Great, those guys martialled armies as big as anything else seen at the time. The norse "raids" were not just irregular piratic attacks, that's simply how it started. Nor in fact was it just warfare, since trade was as much if not more a part of norse interaction with Britain and Europe as warfare.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
enormous long term imposition of a foreign administrative structure seems to be one obvious thing that makes an empire different from a raid. imposition of a lingua franca of some sort maybe. shared currency if that shits around. disallowing by law local military forces that arent auxiliaries of the dominant power. raids can be a prelude to empire, and actual empires are a bit like long term well organised plunderings, and what an empires theory of empire is (civilising the barbarians, or whatever) might be inconsistent with what their actual historical reality is (exploitation), but that doesnt mean empires dont exist

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 4, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Sekenr posted:

You say it's nonsence, and than nothing relating to actual empires? I asgree that empires were a roman invention but the rest of your post is garbage.

Listen Sekenr, by your name I assume you are a Belgian: old white men have robbed you of your true ancestry, shake off those cultural blinders!!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
that was a joke post, but I really do hate white people.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

enormous long term imposition of a foreign administrative structure seems to be one obvious thing that makes an empire different from a raid. imposition of a lingua franca of some sort. shared currency if that shits around. disallowing by law local military forces that arent auxiliaries of the dominant power.

That is exactly correct, thank you for the explanation

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
hate me some proud crackers. crackers need to learn their place

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Harime Nui posted:

Listen Sekenr, by your name I assume you are a Belgian: old white men have robbed you of your true ancestry, shake off those cultural blinders!!

I am worse than belgian. (pls explain to me why sekenr is belgan(. And of course - women, this forum is about women - I am physicall attaractibe and they want but I drink too much and scare them off eveentually - just to get it out the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Petty norse warlords is really unfair, in the ninth century you've got Swein Forkbeard and in the eleventh you've got Knut the Great, those guys martialled armies as big as anything else seen at the time. The norse "raids" were not just irregular piratic attacks, that's simply how it started. Nor in fact was it just warfare, since trade was as much if not more a part of norse interaction with Britain and Europe as warfare.

yeah, but you seem to be saying there is little difference between empire and raiding. organized tribute/taxes to a centralized power is very different from smash and grab raids, and an empire is basically a big ol collection of those.

also cnuts the greats mishmash could probably be considered an empire if it had survived more than a generation.

• Locked thread