Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I'm willing to eat my words in a few weeks, but until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with "Not Thea or Merlyn."

Polaron posted:

I mean, it's not as if she worked for a guy whose entire schtick involves coming back from the dead and who seemingly has already brought a different character back from the dead.

I'd be shocked if she didn't come back in some way.

It took you goons too drat long to come to this.

:tinfoil: Ra's al Ghul has her killed/kills her for ~reasons~. Nyssa is definitely not happy about her SO getting iced, so that creates a schism in the family. Furthermore, Ra's still values Sara's ability, so he dunks her in a pit, which also serves to damage her psyche and make her a bit more evil. :tinfoil:

We're definitely getting :flashfact:back Sara. Her past will come into play. And I'm willing to put chips on her coming back to life later, probably crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sure. What's the time limit? By the end of season 3 or beginning of season 4?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't think she ever officially came back to life. She was pretty insistent about that. Unless it's really been that long since I watched season 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dorito-face has been succeeded by Chicken-legs. Will Katie Cassidy ever find respite? Frankly, aside from the melodrama of her screaming over Sara's body, she was pretty uplifting in this episode, and gives me hope that the writers have a plan. :bsg:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

She's being fitted for a full face mask. Deathstroke reborn.

Drunk Laurel as Ravager II.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Way better episode than last weeks, despite some rough parts. Getting hopeful.

Random notes:
  • SO MANY GODDAMN ARCHERS IN THIS CITY.
  • The tracking tech and the progression of leads was silly, but the episode had a great pace.
  • Best action sequences on TV. The arrow catch was brill and the cockpunch was just as good.
  • The "just feel something!" argument was silly but crying Felicity breaks my heart.
  • Laurel trying to murder that guy was waaay too much. They've managed to make me hate that character even more.
  • The clumsy foreshadowing with Laurel staring intensely at Sarah's jacket was hilarious. (As was Diggle's daughter basically having a name tag.)
  • Sarah's gravestone is still there? How did any of that work? I was half-expecting a Weekend at Bernie's parody when Laurel lied to her father again.
  • I liked the Tommy plotline in theory, but the super low budget fake hostage rescue was so jarringly weird.
  • Between the ~ethnic~ musical cues and the ruling out of Thea/Barrowman, is Ra's everybody's #1 suspect?

By the way, does Ollie know how Amanda Waller was involved with the island at all? Fyres was very much working for her, right?
I thought the shaven hair made him look sharp. :shrug:

I felt Felicity's sobbing rambling at Oliver felt right. She wants him to act human once in a while, to grieve for someone he loved. She's drat near hysterical because she idolized Sara and suddenly mortality caught up with her larger-than-life "Amazonian" idol. The argument came off as someone who wasn't in any state to be making those kinds of arguments to someone.

And since there was never a body to find, Sara and Oliver had empty graves. Oliver's was, obviously, removed in the first season, but Sara never formally came back. Yeah, the Lances and team Arrow knew, but she never went to the government and said, "Hey guys, I'm alive, and have been a superassassin for six years."

I agree with your assessment on Laurel though. I like that they're giving her stuff to work with now, and I think it can come out really well in the end, but this is a situation where Arrow's trademark breakneck pace isn't working for me. She's been a stagnant character for so long that her suddenly turning into a revenge-crazed vigilante who is twisting the arms of would-be assassination targets to extract information and is ready to charge off quite literally half-cocked after a guy has my suspension of disbelief shaken.

I'm super psyched for next week though. That stinger. "Well done!" "Thanks, dad." Willa Holland is going to steal some scenes this season I'm sure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Do you guys not have siblings or something?

Actually I don't.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Deleting that scene was a wise choice.

Still, you know what'd be cool? A suicide squad webisode spinoff. More Deadshot is always good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oracle posted:

I think someone mentioned it previously, but it really seems like the Arrow folks are totally glossing over Sarah's whole six year history as an assassin that's done horrible things. I mean, season 1 Ollie would've been the one putting three arrows in her gut for christ's sake, what are they going to do if whoever murdered her is a family member of one of her former victims back for revenge? It'd be interesting if the show went there but I'm sure it'll just be the whole 'R'as did it cuz monomaniacal evil guy.'

That'd be cool, but they've already established the meta of "dealing with my own mortality" thanks to Sara's death and Oliver's meek, "I don't want to die down here, John." I think having Sara's killer be one of her former victims would have needed its own arc, and someone else would have had to die for the Mortality Crisis that we're seeing now. Having the reveal be that the person who killed her is [Season 1 Oliver] would dilute the message.

At least, assuming they don't wrap up the whole fear of dying thing in the next two episodes. This being Arrow and all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I bet you that Ollie already has a plan for how to handle Barry if something goes wrong.

Tripwire arrow. A runner's natural nemesis.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

In hindsight, it is kind of ridiculous that Detective Lance spends part of the first season trying to find out who the Hood is without ever going "huh, maybe it's this Komodo fella."

I thought that other hood-and-arrow types like him were generally regarded as either urban legend, or only known in certain criminal circles. The same BS that keeps the League of Assassins a secret society.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Those are all the bits Green Arrow had for a long time.

The good news is that as time went on, competent writers took him in a different direction, turning Oliver Queen into his own brand of hero. A road trip with Hal Jorden may have been involved.

John Diggle for Sector 2814.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

I've been sporadically checking on this thread since the start of the new season, and the general consensus seems fairly positive, so maybe I'm alone in this but I have been remarkably underwhelmed by the season so far. It feels like there's been a lot of the eye rolling Arrow moments (terrible dialog, boring individual stories, etc) without [enough of, anyway] the big payoffs that had previously made it easy to ignore the flaws. I expect as the season goes on, the disparate threads will begin to weave together, but right now it just seems like a total jumble of plotlines. It almost feels like the early goings of Season 1 at times, but missing the origin story. And how does everyone Felicity went to college with manage to end up living in Starling?

Unhappy coincidence, mostly. Goony Ex Boyfriend is a super villain bent on subjugating the world, and wants a side dish of revenge. Corporate sellout roommate sold out to a corporation in Starling, which given that Merlyn Global and Queen Consolidated are both big interests there, we can assume it's a pretty big city and would attract college graduates in its business sector. And Felicity has basically the same story as sellout roommate, only she sold out first.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

I really want it to be Talia who carried out the actual killing, so we can get even more family backstabby drama.

I'm hoping. It won't happen, but stranger things (such as Ras on TV) have happened. It would give Nyssa some more motive to go rogue, and set up a pretty loving sweet fight.

e X posted:

Sarah didn't get shanked, so that is impossible.

Ever since his particle accelerator died, the impossible has become possible. :flashfact:

edit: One last thing; I have zero problems with Cupid being Huntress 2.0, because instead of it being an unintended case of bad writing, the gimmick is that she has a horrifying case of one-sided affection. We then get to :magical: right along with Oliver. So bring on the cheese.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 14, 2014

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

That makes me happy. I'm not saying they need them very often on Arrow, but I didn't like the limitation that it introduced. Now if a character/villain is on Arrow, that doesn't mean it needs to be a depowered version.

Plus, having Oliver learn to compensate for the gap between him and his foes would make for its own interesting story arc. You could do a half season arc just based on that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Just caught the episode. Cupid's male Felicity got friendzoned HARD.

More like deadzoned.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zoux posted:

Stephen Amell is 6'1'', i.e. the perfect height for a man (of course he is).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My name is Cupid, stupid.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BSam posted:

My name is Malcolm Merlyn and I'm quite tired, but also kinda buzzed. What do you say I take you home and eat your pussy.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've found our new intro. :golfclap:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eddain posted:

Malcolm reveals that the DJ is his long-lost son and Thea throws up again.

Or he's Music Meister.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Impossible, he's not Neil Patrick Harris.

Not this early in time timeline, no. :flashfact:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

God I hope so much that they just drop that character entirely. Ugh.

Off a roof with a few arrows or off the side of a mountain with a sword wound? Show has a penchant for dropping things this season.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The Japanese could have sampled the liquid in the pits and tinkered with it in such a way that technobabble produces increased strength?

This was the running theory when it first started showing up in Season 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

By next season Lian Yu will be a Task Force X training camp.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VDay posted:

Well the good news is that, at least initially, Ollie won't know any Russian so they'll just be talking in English. Hopefully they skip over that "learns Russian" bit instead of having like half a season where Amell spends 10-15 minutes of every episode butchering phrases and making me sad.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past Amell actually trying to learn Russian to play the part better. He's that kind of guy. I don't speak it, so I can't remember how bad you said the mutilation was, and if it could be explained as spoiled rich kid had the most minimally functional grasp of it possible or if it was sloppier than that?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm willing to give Laurel the shot. Lets see if the writers can make her into a good Black Canary.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Lean sirloin is a really odd choice for a chili. Most people use chuck.

Those people are wrong. People who use ground beef for chili are wrong.

Chilichat is back for S3.

zoux posted:

Fuckin' beans in chili, go back to Star City Oliver and peddle your bean soup there.

Back in S1, I'd agree with you. But then I tried two variations sin carne. Pick one: Beans or meat. Never both.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I bet he really is hot poo poo at Renaissance Faires.

A fate worse than death.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

No joke, I work tech support for an ISP, and I actually once spoke to a guy who would power off his router every time he finished loading a page.

Part of me refuses to believe you, but the rest of me worked IT for four years and knows better.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Scyantific posted:

(Spoilers, Obviously)
Ohhhhhh poo poo.

This is some :tviv: that I wouldn't have expected them to toss out as a promo clip.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zoux posted:

Well I disagree and for someone who has never read the comics or isn't aware of the comics, so probably a good portion of the audience, Lazarus pits are no different from herbs. The only reason you and others are salty about it is because you have prior knowledge of the comic. There is nothing that makes lazarus pits any less ridiculous than herbs.

Lazarus Pit sounds cooler than magic herb. For all we know, pot cures death.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Actually it's about ethics in vigilantism.

The TV IV > Arrow Season 3 - #canarygate

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

All that parkour was nessessary :colbert:

His superpower is his arsenal of flips.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Merlyn is a republican.

He's a straight up job creator. The demolition work in the glades required quite a bit of research to get those Markov machines working, and can you imagine how many construction jobs the (now greatly reduced) population would have to fill? Had those meddling progressives not interfered, Starling City would be in an economic expansion right now!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

She's had a tough few months. Sarah dies, Ollie goes off to fight a duel, apparently dies, her boss whom she likes more than a little seems intent on following, Ollie comes back magically and makes her look like an idiot.

This. The girl can be excused a bit of hysteria. When you stop and think about it for too long, you realize she's the center eye of an amazingly insane hurricane. Compared to Oliver, Roy, Barry, Merlyn, Sara and Laurel, motherfucking Slade Wilson, and the litany of other insane costumed vigilantes/villains/heroes/rogues, she's pretty normal and boring.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The characters that aren't Felicity live in a comic book logic world.

Magneto is one of the X-Men. The Avengers blow up planets. There's like 13 Horsemen of the Apocalypse scattered across the X-Men and Avengers. Scarlet Witch is allowed to live. As long as you feel really sorry about it, it's okay.

I started laughing when I realized that Oliver was basically spouting Jedi nonsense at Merlyn about being able to be saved.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed:

Maybe they were like the cops in Central City where they just closed off the street to watch a brawl :v:

If I knew my comic book superheroes would show up to save the day, I sure as poo poo wouldn't be rolling in hot. I'd be sitting on a rooftop with a sack of Big Belly Burgers. 90% less chance of getting hurt, and I get a show with my dinner! :cop:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

And did she not die in the last Batman movie anyway?

(I guess that's sort of meaningless because Lazarus Pits...)

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Nolan movies are kind of their own thing and won't affect anything else embargo or otherwise.

Furthermore, there were no Lazarus pits in the Nolanverse. It was all mundane/speculative fiction tech. Ra's al Ghul was just a succession of dudes with the same name. Bane's strength came from Charles Atlas and liberal doses of PCP and pain killers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

His mom. According to Slade.

CHOOOOOSE!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

This is the reason I hope they realised internally that the quality wasn't as good this season. Last season amell and the rest of the cast would be on social media every week bigging up the latest episode and talking about how cool they thought it was. This season they have been really quiet.

If anything, I've got faith that the writers know this, precisely because of how active they are at sounding out what the fans are thinking. I just binge caught up on both shows today since I finally had the time to commit to it, and while I don't have as much vitriol for Arrow as some goons do (as in most things), there was some very shaky stuff in there.

For example, that fight on the dam would have been so much better with lightsabers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Probably a bit too active. See: Olicity.

The exception that proves the rule. Never listen to shippers.

• Locked thread