Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know how many days after airing it takes to be able to watch Arrow or Flash on Hulu? (without Hulu plus)

For both Hulu and the CW website it's next day, typically around 2am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder which parts of the preview are from Arrow and which are from The Flash.

Also, HOLY poo poo GUYS. Seriously this is amazing, tommorow going to watch THE FLASH team up with GREEN ARROW, then the next night watch the 2nd part.

I really hope that every mid season finale is a cross over. That would be loving the best.

It really takes time to sink in doesn't it? Seriously, if a few years ago someone told me this was going to be a thing happening on tv I would have called them a liar. If they told me I would be watching anything the CW I would have thought they were insane.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hcreight posted:

Roy had to work shifts at Verdant. Bam. Problem solved.

I'd say it's more of a question as to how Felicity keeps getting ridiculous amounts of time off from her job as Vice President of a corporation.

Roy stayed behind to fight the new Starling city villain, DJ greasy hair.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

boom boom boom posted:

Of course the DJ is working for the League of Assassins, if he isn't then the scenes he was in are the most aggressively pointless scenes in the history of television.

As to whether or not they would include the Lazarus pit in Arrow, he's teamed up with the Flash. In this relatively grounded show, there was a guy who could run at the speed of sound. They can't unring that bell, and it would be stupid to try. The Lazarus pit is totally a possibility.

Ras killing Oliver, Oliver coming back and having to step up his game to a whole new level would be perfect. Afterwards he can take on the metahumans that are gonna crop up, but it happened on the Arrow's (the tv show's) terms, and isn't just a reaction to the existence of The Flash (the tv show)

I would still say resurrection is another step up. Yes, the flash guesting means full superpowers could now be in play, but at the same time being able to bring back the dead potentially kills a a lot of the drama. If death is not final, it under cuts the way the arrow is plotted. Repeatedly the show has used death of a loved one as the principle motivation for its characters.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xealot posted:

I was really hoping for a riff on Roy's addiction arc, where the fallout of taking and being cured of Mirakuru left him desperate to be as strong as he briefly was. It'd make sense for Roy to miss being supernaturally strong, and to feel overwhelmed and weak as a regular person. And tweaking on a bunch of performance drugs would totally fit the show.

Of course, they went another way with it. Boo hoo he killed a cop. Whatever, Roy, you could punch through concrete; that was badass.

The Laurel substance arc was such a smashing success that they just had to replicate it for season 3.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

imperialparadox posted:

Drunk Laurel was best Laurel. :colbert:

Only once she was fully off the wagon and lashing out at Sara and the rest of her family. For most of the season, any screen time with Laurel was excruciating.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I just realized that now that Quentin is a captain we're less likely to get a scene where he's face to face with Ra's and Ra's refers to him as "Detective".

If there is one thing about this show that I am certain, no matter what happens, everyone will continue to refer to Quentin as detective.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Neo_Crimson posted:

Either that or she charges them. 5 minutes on the Salmon Ladder while shirtless if you want a FBI database hacked.

Tough luck, mister Jordan. I would say you better bulk up if your serious about finding Sinestro.

Scyantific posted:

No. It was a neutral location away from the League.

Which gives more credit to there being a Lazarus pit there. It's somewhere reasonably close in North America, but it's mentioned several times that it is on grounds sacred to the league.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kibayasu posted:

Personally I'm on the edge of my seat to find out where the DJ subplot is going.

I really, really hope Thea murders him.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Phenotype posted:

I mean, he hasn't showed up since the club opening. Maybe that was just their idea of how to get Thea onscreen a few times before her arc comes up.

Thea was talking to him on the phone in the crossover episode. I hope hes gone, but I suspect he will be around for short pointless scenes for a while until he moves to a new city to join Carly and is never spoken of again.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Scyantific posted:

Ra's al-Ghul's co-creator Dennis O'Neill approves of Matt Nable's portrayal of the character

Did Neeson ever get the same form of approval (not wanting to start a shitshow, just legitimately curious).

E: Guess there's a minor spoiler in there the bit about the writers not including the Lazarus Pits, so read it at risk.

It's not a spoiler. Dennis O'Neill doesn't work on the show. He is not saying whether or not they are going to use the Lazarus pits, he is just noting that adaptations of Ra's al Ghul frequently drop that part of the character. He finds that funny since he thinks the image of Ra's rising from the boiling green pit is the most iconic image of the character.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Execellent, I've waited since season 2 for the show to finally get into the Diggle, Bing, H.I.V........E. mystery.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Flashbacks to Connor Hawke as a toddler in a single parent home.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

dordreff posted:

Can't wait until they reveal Sin's full name is Cindy Mia Dearden

Just a reminder that Thea's middle name has already been confirmed as Dearden and her longstanding nickname is Speedy. So they already have used that particular winking allusion already.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there Lego vehicles for Diggle to drive around? Seems kind of callous to include a character and cut out like 90% of his power set.

Yes, including the Flash mobile, so Diggle can even drive a van.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ashez2ashes posted:

Was there ever any explanation why? Is it just because they want to push the Jaime instead? Alien-power based Jaime wouldn't fit this show at all. I hope it wasn't some stupid DC comics reasons.

Dorky inventor Ted Kord would fit the show quite well. I assume they would have written him and cast him differently then they have Palmer. Maybe they'll change their minds somewhere along the lines since Kord industries does still exist in the show.

My understanding is that relatively last minute DC told them they couldn't use Ted Kord without giving further explanation. Since I doubt they are going to use Kord elsewhere, my guess is they are thinking of using Jaime somewhere(maybe the teen titans show that TNT is developing) and don't want more than one Blue Beetle. But again that's just my speculation.

thebardyspoon posted:

So that's included in the season pass I got for like, £2 during the steam sale right? Awesome if so.

Yeah, but it's only out today for playstation. X-box and PC have to wait.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rurea posted:

So over the Christmas break while visiting with family I was catching up on Season 3 and my mom watched bits and pieces of episodes and said she wanted to watch from the beginning. She didn't see anything really spoilery except that oliver and felicity are pseudo-in-love and that roy is arsenal now. ANYWAY, I started rewatching the series with her from season 1 and I have found her critique/opinions of the show hilarious. We are just about done with season 1 and here are a few of her thoughts so far:
"How does anybody not realize that it's him under that hood. He's not even wearing a mask!"
"Laurel needs to die"
"Oliver needs to get his poo poo together and make up his mind"
"I want Tommy to become his own man and stop relying on other people." :(
"The mom is a bitch. I hope she gets what's coming to her."
In regards to Felicity: "I just love that girl."
Keep in mind she is a conservative lady in her late 50's who watches maybe 8 movies in a whole year and has never seen any marvel/dc movie or read comics.
Just goes to show that the average show-watcher's opinions basically echo everything said in this thread.

This is pretty funny. I'm surprised that someone who has no interest in comic book/superhero media would want to watch this show. Out of curiosity, what interested her about it?

"Oliver needs to get his poo poo together and make up his mind" Also, what particularly was she referring to with this? There a lot of different ways Oliver needs to get his poo poo together.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Oracle posted:

I assumed the black was hair dye, Goth phase and all.

She mentioned in season 1 that she is not a natural blond. I assumed her natural color is black due to the flashback, but it could be neither blond nor raven-haired.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

VDay posted:

To be fair, Oliver got stabbed in the chest as opposed to the heart, which in TV land might as well be a scratch if the writers want it to be. I could see him being recovered right after he fell and slowly nursed back to health with the stab wound being hand-waved away as "a very serious injury that almost killed you" or something similar. I mean, it'd feel pretty cheap to just have Oliver recover from a fight to the death with Ras by putting some scooby-doo bandaids on his wounds and having him take some magic flintstones vitamins, but it certainly isn't unthinkable.

Still, my money's on that quote from Amell being simple misdirection or maybe some kind of technically correct thing where he isn't just dunked in it but gets healed/revived by it anyway.

Well a perforated lung will kill you too, particular when combined with a steep vertical drop and hypothermia. I do like that he acknowledged that Oliver's bag of herbs are basically magic.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She's due for a training montage over the S3 to S4 break to bring her up to par.

Or keep comically failing. Either one is fine.

Being comically inept at everything she does definitely seems like the direction they are going with for the character.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hcreight posted:

Laurel has been perfectly fine through this whole arc and her move towards superheroics has been no more ridiculous than Roy "I have training from Oliver and YEARS ON THE STREETS" Harper's. Deal with it.

The thing I love most about this is in terms of skill and experience Roy is miles ahead of Laurel and Diggle is miles ahead of Roy. So of course, he is the one left behind for mission control.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GreenNight posted:

Well she isn't a drunk anymore.

At least embittered, drunken Laural was unintentional comic relief.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

jscolon2.0 posted:

Given that Nyssa is typically the daughter that Ra's abandons, and Talia the one he raises as an heir, probably Bat Embargoed.

I wonder about that. It seems really weird that they would allow Ra's but veto Talia. I just sort of assumed they went with Nyssa since she is less familiar to audience and so they are a bit freer in how they write her.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

VBane posted:

I can get why the revelation today soured Thea of Merlyn.

Before she found out Malcolm had no reason to be interested in her for any reason except because she is his daughter. She thought he'd been truthful with her. Now she find out he is her brother's arch enemy and had driving a wedge between the two of them based on what he knew was a lie, that Ollie couldn't be relied on and Malcolm was the only one that could protect and teach her. Now he has another reason to have take her in and trained her and told her all these things, as a way to get at Ollie.

The one relationship where she was sure where she stood suddenly seems like it could be a ploy. That poisons the well and leaves her unable to look past the misdeeds she'd been willing to put aside when she thought his motives were parental. Meanwhile the brother she'd already forgiven for keeping secrets reveals his final one, of his own volition, a secret that reveals him to be far better man than she'd given him credit for. It makes sense her push away from Malcolm would include an acceptance of Ollie.

Yeah. He had been lieing to and manipulating her the entire time, and she suddenly realized that. She thought he was the only person she could rely on. Merlyn emphasized how untrustworthy and unreliable Olly to her despite knowing the truth, as a way of driving them apart, and getting her progressively more under his influence. Before the revaluation, she had thought he had reformed and was legitimately remorseful for what he had done. Afterwards, she realized he has never stopped manipulating and plotting, and even if she doesn't know to what ends, she realizes he is the exact same person who planned and committed mass murder.

Neon Knight posted:

When they hugged it out Thea put on a pretty blank expression when he wasn't looking, it was not a heartfelt moment for her and she already new he was Arrow.

I just rewatched that scene. I didn't catch a black expression and she is crying when she hugs him. I'm pretty positive it's genuine.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Chokes McGee posted:

e: I really really REALLY loving hope they don't run with the Speedy has HIV angle from the comics due to DJ Sleazy Assassin. That would ... be a poor decision.

The leagues methods are subtle, but effective.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Eddain posted:

There are also another two for Flash and Captain Cold.

Three, there is also a Reverse Flash. Unsurprising since it is the same figure with a different color scheme.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

XboxPants posted:

Don't get too upset about this, it isn't actually a thing. This is completely just an assumption on the part of fans. There was a so-called "bat embargo" in place against having Batman stuff on TV a decade ago, but clearly that's no longer the case. I'm sure if Guggenheim wanted Batman to show up on Arrow it would be very tricky for him, and his request might be turned down in the end, but there's no reason to believe he's not even allowed to make that request. He just doesn't even want Batman to show up.

They've made references to Batman stuff, cities, and used Batman villains whenever they wanted. This idea that "DC won't let them do Batman stuff ever" isn't grounded on reality.

http://io9.com/confirmed-batman-and-superman-are-off-limits-for-arrow-1662696484

No, they have flat out said that somethings are so off limits that there is no point in asking. I think DC gave them a freer hand with what they could use starting in the second season, but for the most valuable IP's (and stuff that is being developed elsewhere) they are off limits. I've seen in other interviews that they said they meet with DC representatives about 4-5 times a year and go over what characters they want to use and DC permits, denies, offers guild lines, ect. Hell, I've even heard of cases where Warner Brothers overrides DC's decisions on what they are doing with characters in the comics themselves. Obviously, some things are surprises, such as getting to use Ra's, but I imagine that outside of batman/superman themselves being completely off limits, it can be hard to guess what will or will not be allowed.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Crowsbeak posted:

Is there any reasoning why Ted Kord is off limits? I assume it has nothing to do with Charlton comics, being that they have allowed the Question, and captain Atom to be used in the past.

According to the show runners DC told they "have other plans for the character". Said plans are likely leave him in an attic till it forgotten entirely that there was a different Blue Beetle before Jaime Reyes.

XboxPants posted:

From what I understand DC editorial is extremely petty about getting rid of old characters they don't like and telling everyone they have to use their personal favorite characters instead.

Yeah, this.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

boom boom boom posted:

I think the problem with this season, beyond the obviously weaker flashbacks, is that it felt like it wasn't progressing much in the beginning."We have to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we still need to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we continue to need to find Sarah's killer!" and through it all, they made zero progress towards finding Sarah's killer.

But it's past that now and should be pretty good going forward.

Finding Sara's killer sounds like a good half season long arch on paper, but there just wasn't enough mystery there to be remotely worthwhile. If it was more complicated they could have the cast gradually put together clues and close in to the killer, but there really wasn't anything to investigate. It had to be one of the already introduced significant characters so there was only 3-4 people it could feasibly be. So they just ended up writing a string of pointless red herrings that did nothing to hide the fact they were just marking time till the mid season finale reveal so the plot could finally start moving.

It was Komodo. I mean Roy. I mean ect. Combined with the weak flashbacks made the entire first half feel really shapeless. It's been a bit better since the break, other than walking back on Oliver getting stabbed in the lung.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

enraged_camel posted:

Right after he lost his Mirakuru he was defeated by Oliver, an archer, in hand-to-hand combat. To me that seems very un-deadly.

Well given most of the people who were on Mirakuru and got the antidote immediately dropped unconscious, I think it's fair to say he wasn't at his best then.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MacheteZombie posted:

I knew when she made the cameo that was all we were getting. I'm surprised other people thought it there was a real chance she'd have an actual role.

Well they actually had someone on set and in costume for that episode, it seemed like they really thought it was at least a possibility.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Deadpool posted:

Because Harley is a hard character to make work.There's a very fine line with that character and I think very few people have ever been able to get anything good out of her. The only time the character has really clicked well I think was in the original Batman cartoon she came from.

I would agree with this. Add to it the fact that BtAS was a children's cartoon, though with a lot of mature elements, which let them keep things light overall. Arrow is a show that leans heavy on dark and melodramatic.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I support having Felicity get together with every character on the show other than Oliver in order to mess with shippers.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

greatn posted:

Ollie should just get with Cupid. Once she gets what she wants she'll stop being crazy, surely. She certainly wouldn't kill anyone she thought might get between them.

Given Oliver tends to choose sexual partners based on who is likely the worst possible idea at a given time, I wouldn't rule out him sleeping with Cupid at some point out.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

omg chael crash posted:

I'm surprised Ray's suit has so many non/armored areas. I get that it's a shoestring budget and it's a CW show and blah blah blah, but it still looks cheap. And not very protective

It doesn't have a bare midriff, so it's already more protective than a large majority of super hero costumes.

bbf2 posted:

The big bad of season 4 will be GamerGate MRAs

The most vile villain of them all.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

King of Solomon posted:

Magic and the supernatural, eh? I could get behind that. Bring on Zatanna or something, that would be fun. I've gotta say, I really like the trend these comic shows are setting of having a separate program to run during the midseason break, it's really cool.

Guggenheim has said before he wants Vixen, both the character and the show, to represent the magical side of comics in the CW verse (with Flash being science and Arrow being street). It's one of the things that makes me pretty sure she is going to show up in live action as well.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

King of Solomon posted:

The thing I drew from the quote in the article is that Guggenheim wants to have magic and the supernatural in Arrow proper, not in another spinoff.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58392

Here is the interview I was thinking of, and the particular quite.

Guggenheim posted:

And Vixen's such a great character. First of all, she represents magic, which is an area that we haven't explored on either of the two shows just yet. One thing we're always saying is, "'Flash' is very different from 'Arrow,' 'Arrow' is very different from 'Flash.'" If "Arrow" is crime and "The Flash" is science, "Vixen" has a big magic component.

My take away was that magic in Arrow will be like superpower. There is limited superpowers on Arrow, even though that is what Flash is all about. They intent to introduce magic into Arrow and establish, "yes it as part of the world", but at the same time it will only have a limited presence from time to time. In contrast, Magic and magical elements will be a much larger focus in Vixen. Though your right in that it sounds like Guggenheim also wants magic and the occult to have a bigger presence in Arrow relative to superpowers.

I think if they want to introduce magic start with acknowledging how bullshit Oliver's cure anything herbs have been.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Deadpool posted:

When the guy that tried to murder you tells you that you can run his murder cult the way you want you probably wouldn't believe him. Sure Ra's might have been on the level, but who can say for sure. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you can opt out of after a week if it doesn't work for you.

I think it's similar to how Ra's made Oliver an offer, and then Merlyn and Masoe pointed out it wasn't so much an offer as Ra's telling Oliver how it's going to be. Hypothetically, he can run it how he wants once he is the new Ra', but in it doesn't turn out that way. My guess is anyone who accepts and goes through all the training to be the next Ra's develops similar views by the end.

also, :3: Nissa made a friend. Maybe Laurel knows magic tricks.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Whizbang posted:

They did say they want to introduce more of magic and the supernatural, so obviously the big bads of season 4 are the Monstars.

This would also nicely explain why Warner Brothers hasn't been using the Monstarts recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Valeyard posted:

That was amazing.

So why didn't Nyssa resurrect Sarah using the Laz pit?

She didn't find out Sara had died for a good while after it had happened. The Lazarus pits seem relatively weaker here compared to the comics.

• Locked thread