Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Games

Today in Baseball History
  • 1904 - Jack Chesbro got his 41st victory of the season as New York defeated the Boston Red Sox, 3-2.
  • 1925 - Walter Johnson opens the World Series in Pittsburgh. A fifth-inning home run by Pie Traynor is the only damaging blow as Johnson fans 10 for a 4-1 Washington win.
  • 1928 - Lou Gehrig's two home runs led the New York Yankees to a 7-3 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series, giving them a 3-0 lead.
  • 1933 - Flags are at half staff for Game Five to honor William L. Veeck, Chicago Cubs president, who died suddenly. On the field, the World Series comes to a close when Mel Ott homers in the 10th inning for a 4-3 Giants victory over Washington.
  • 1950 - Whitey Ford wins his first World Series game, 5-2, over Bob Miller at Yankee Stadium. The sweep of the Phillies gives the Yankees their 13th World Championship.
  • 1975 - The Red Sox gain a 5-3 win and three-game sweep over Oakland for the AL pennant. Carl Yastrzemski makes two great plays in the outfield and has two hits to back Rick Wise's pitching.
  • 1984 - The San Diego Padres won the National League pennant with a 6-3 victory over the Chicago Cubs in the final game of the playoffs. The Padres won three straight after dropping the first two.
  • 1995 - Edgar Martinez of the Seattle Mariners hit a tie-breaking grand slam in the eighth inning and drove in seven runs -- the most ever in a postseason game to date -- leading the Mariners past the New York Yankees, 11-8, and sending the AL playoff series to a decisive Game 5.
  • 1998 - Chuck Knoblauch argued for an interference call at first base instead of picking up the ball while Enrique Wilson scored to break a 1-1 tie in the 12th inning of the Cleveland Indians' 4-1 victory at New York in Game 2 of the AL championship series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
I like Kershaw tonight against the Dodgers but eventually it will be a bullpen battle and I think the Cardinals may prevail again.

Kershaw needs to show up Post Season wise and this is his time to shine!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Joe Buck called this "the scene of the crime last night."

Oh, how true that is.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

YOU CAN'T BENCH PUIG. YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well however Kershaw is tonight at least it isn't very likely he'll complete it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, if the Dodgers' bullpen is as bad as it looked last night and as bad as you guys say, how did they make it to the postseason?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

hail satan, as always

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

I like it.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

miller the killer :woop:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

shelbowns

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

So, if the Dodgers' bullpen is as bad as it looked last night and as bad as you guys say, how did they make it to the postseason?

If you have good hitters and good SPs, you can generally get away with a bad bullpen. The Tigers are a better example of this.

The silly thing is, it's not that hard to build a decent bullpen.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Could someone repost the info about that proxy browser extension that was recently posted here or in n/v? i cant find it and im on abad tablet so typing is hell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Right, I forgot about the Tigers. I guess good starters and really good run production could make up for that.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

seiferguy posted:

If you have good hitters and good SPs, you can generally get away with a bad bullpen. The Tigers are a better example of this.

The silly thing is, it's not that hard to build a decent bullpen.

It kind of is hard though in so much as relievers tend be a total crapshoot from year to year.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Someone should calculate the chances of Rock the House getting hit by a ball. Or even appearing somewhere in the sea of red.

In any case, go redbirds.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Because the Dodgers have arguably the best offense in the league and also a really good starting rotation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Looks like we're in for a good pitching duel!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Coolshaw

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Can we not field things terribly tonight
EDIT: Much better

Caseman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Another 99.99!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

welp

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Caseman posted:

Can we not field things terribly tonight

I GUESS.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Welp, Mattingly justified.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ethier walk. Donnie status: vindicated

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Erased. Danke, Juan.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Yikes! That was scary.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

haha i thought jay was a dead man there

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bawfuls posted:

Ethier walk. Donnie status: vindicated

Kershaw loses a one run game

Can't pitvh when it matters narrative enters high gear

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

YOU CAN'T BENCH PUIG. YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

This is gonna blow up in Mattingly's face. Just you watch.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Well Harold, rehab isn't the same as pitching.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
You're about due, Mr. Adams.

*welp.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 7, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

harold reynolds is loving awful at color comm. tom verducci has been schooling him all series and buck has pretty much just bought into the everybody hates me narrative and cranked it up to 11

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

drat, nice play.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

lot of pitches...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tadashi posted:

Could someone repost the info about that proxy browser extension that was recently posted here or in n/v? i cant find it and im on abad tablet so typing is hell.

I use Hola unblocker with Chrome and I'm able to use my MLB.tv subscription for postseason games. Just set it to the UK.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Fuckin Bunt

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
does anyone know what drat radio station this game is on in the bay area? if any. :mad:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Caseman posted:

Fuckin Bunt

There's only one Buntober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

drat if he gets it clean its a dp.

• Locked thread