Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Is it acceptable to call them the "Muslamic State" to make fun of them?

Or is that offensive to non jihadis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Buzzing droning.

Right on, brah!
Leave Britney alone!

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Backweb posted:

Is it acceptable to call them the "Muslamic State" to make fun of them?

Or is that offensive to non jihadis?

I'm pretty sure they'd re-appropriate "muslamic rayguns" if they were better at social media

coincidentally are they hiring

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I kinda agree with the OP it's loving annoying on npr every time they mention them they have to throw in 'so-called' or 'self-styled' it's getting old

It's very funny I guess if I named my terrorist group "The Cool Guys" they'd have to do the same thing

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They prefer to be called Daesh

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
the "wrong and dumb" state

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Ramsus posted:

the "wrong and dumb" state

Jeez. Way to throw your bias into this discussion.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
They're not officially recognized as a state though, so in terms of reporting that's the correct way to do it probably.

Kind of like Tibet probably considers itself a separate state but China gets to veto that opinion because they have bigass tanks and poo poo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
ok how about "the "so-called" islamic "state""

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The so called "Cool Guys" have bombed another hospital. Not very cool at all, guys.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

It looks like the Islamic front is trying to give the Islamic state a run for its money in the production values game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcJYpnEElwA

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Just keep calling them ISIS

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just keep calling them ISIS

Yes, and pronounce it "Iz Iz".

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
What if you called your terror group something like "stupid asslickers" would they be sure to state that you were the "self-styled stupid asslickers"

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The Droid posted:

It looks like the Islamic front is trying to give the Islamic state a run for its money in the production values game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcJYpnEElwA

am i going to end up on a watch list because i watched this

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Today, troops clashed with members of the so-called polesmokers brigade, resulting in several deaths

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the islamic "so-called" state is better I think. can't deny that poo poo is islamic.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

SUBPAR ISLAM

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tricky D posted:

the islamic "so-called" state is better I think. can't deny that poo poo is islamic.

most of the world does indeed deny that poo poo is islamic, including all the other jihadis

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no true musselman

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
OP is dumb. News is all about interpretational sovereignty. Ofc everyone will call it "so callEd" because we are all the enemies of IS and will never ever respect anything this "so called" nation does. OP needs a talk in a dark room with some cia dudes, gotta find out how close his ties to terrorism are! With love the west <3

I vote for walls. Let's build a wall around all the gimp extremist countries. We need a job program anyways to boost the economy and the fuckers can stay in their religous wonderland and pray to rats or something. I want that wall from WWZ. It wasnt high enough for zombies but thats okay...

Walls are the solution to everything

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 8, 2014

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

A Stupid Baby posted:

They're not officially recognized as a state though, so in terms of reporting that's the correct way to do it probably.

Kind of like Tibet probably considers itself a separate state but China gets to veto that opinion because they have bigass tanks and poo poo.

Remember the good old days when hellfire missiles were valued for their ability to utterly cleave through tank armour? After all, they were meant to get through the best reactive uranium-tungsten-composite plate the communists could reverse-engineer from us. Yeah, turns out they can still do that. Turns out also that "made in China" still means "made in China" too. And "bigass tank" means "bigass target".

Too bad Tibet doesn't have any oil.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

argondamn posted:

i like reading interviews from former isis members about how the most dangerous members came from developed countries.

Sounds interesting, have any links?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

IronClaymore posted:

Remember the good old days when hellfire missiles were valued for their ability to utterly cleave through tank armour? After all, they were meant to get through the best reactive uranium-tungsten-composite plate the communists could reverse-engineer from us. Yeah, turns out they can still do that. Turns out also that "made in China" still means "made in China" too. And "bigass tank" means "bigass target".

Too bad Tibet doesn't have any oil.

If Russia was able to keep the rest of the world from intervening in Syria, what makes you think the US would actually risk a direct confrontation with a nuclear power, even assuming we wanted to send our economy into a nosedive over it

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
ISIS is NOT the NFL.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
the words 'musselman' and 'mohammedan' aren't used enough anymore imo

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

the words 'musselman' and 'mohammedan' aren't used enough anymore imo

I was reading chesterton the other day and he kept saying "hindoos" and it made me smirk every time

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Torka posted:

I was reading chesterton the other day and he kept saying "hindoos" and it made me smirk every time
wow get out of here u fuckin racists little poo poo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Nourra by name, made a most favourable impression upon me. Of middle height, still young, built like a Hercules, with fair hair and violet eyes; he had a slightly turned up nose, while his features were somewhat of a Finnish cast. Like all horsemen, he walked with his toes in. His body was striped with scars, ploughed by bayonet wounds and bullets. Although he belonged to the conquered part of the Caucasus, he had joined the rebels, with whom he used to make continual incursions into our territory. Every one liked him in the prison by reason of his gaiety and affability. He worked without murmuring, always calm and peaceful. Thieving, cheating, and drunkenness filled him with disgust, or put him in a rage—not that he wished to quarrel with any one; he simply turned away with indignation. During his confinement he committed no breach of the rules. Fervently pious, he said his prayers religiously every evening, observed all the Mohammedan fasts like a true fanatic, and passed whole nights in prayer. Every one liked him, and looked upon him as a thoroughly honest man. "Nourra is a lion," said the convicts; and the name of "Lion" stuck to him. He was quite convinced that as soon as he had finished his sentence he would be sent to the Caucasus. Indeed, he only lived by this hope, and I believe he would have died had he been deprived of it. I noticed it the very day of my arrival. How was it possible not to distinguish this calm, honest face in the midst of so many sombre, sardonic, repulsive countenances!

ps islam is the light

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

cnn is too stupid to live

vapoursquid
Sep 28, 2013

none other
this forum is the pinnacle of western decadence

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Its western journalists being petty over some retards getting caught and beheaded. hth OP

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Its western journalists being petty over some retards getting caught and beheaded. hth OP

i agreee that the massacre of kurd and yazidi men and children, and sexual slavery of women, is also bullshit that only petty people give a gently caress about

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

argondamn posted:

also sometimes i wonder if there's gonna be a hilarious episode of archer about the name ISIS

the entire fifth series was written so they no longer had cause to use that name

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oberleutnant posted:

i agreee that the massacre of kurd and yazidi men and children, and sexual slavery of women, is also bullshit that only petty people give a gently caress about

This has been going on for loving decades if not centuries.
The only reason you know of these is because its the BIG BAD SCARY ISIS that did it. Whole towns and villiages have been wiped out every few weeks by similar Islamic nut jobs in Africa and no one gives a flying gently caress. Remember those 200 school girls kidnapped? That was soooooo last season.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

happyhippy posted:

This has been going on for loving decades if not centuries.
The only reason you know of these is because its the BIG BAD SCARY ISIS that did it. Whole towns and villiages have been wiped out every few weeks by similar Islamic nut jobs in Africa and no one gives a flying gently caress. Remember those 200 school girls kidnapped? That was soooooo last season.
hmm ctually you make a good point. lets never try to fix anything ever

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
realtalk: yes any action taken against isis is entirely based on protecting the interests of capitalism in the mid-east region and has nothing whatever to do with humanitarian inititatives. but if the best we can ask for is that innocent people are protected as an incidental side-effect of, or politically expedient justification for capital protecting its own interests then... i'll take it

ps workers of the world unite.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i meant the retard western journalists that got beheaded. i dont think they give a poo poo about anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
Google map is showing me Iraq and Syria. What is going on? Is google falling behind on their update?

• Locked thread