Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Best part is Rudie getting a proper, oversized, pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fairly sure Kanami is not in the running.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Perhaps an increased boob slider range is a special feature of the European server. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Annointed posted:

Why do people keep saying 'read the manga'? The original source is the LN and the manga isn't even near where the anime is.[/spoiler]

The manga has things drawn with the author's input, and sometimes includes background details that couldn't be presented via narration. For example, the very first hint of Roe2 was the login menu in Shiroe's screen in the manga, in the very first few pages.
Up to Book 7 there's no mention of that shadow or what it represents.

genericnick posted:

I got the feeling that Regan's characterization shifted between the series. Is that just me? An illusion brought about by his limited screen time in S1 and his function as an exposition disperser? He seemed rather untrustworthy in the first series.
He's always had this sketchy feel to him, but that's just because he's the fantasy version of a hikkikomori. Dude doesn't even bother to change his robes. Just look at his picture in the wiki.

Now that he's out in the sun and interacting we see more of his fun side.
He still gets weird at times, though.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 11, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

korrandark posted:

Could you put this is spoiler tags, please?

What spoilers?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Well this explains the design decisions behind Kanami. Maybe the EU server really does have an extended boob slider.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well I don't either, it's the pic that caught my attention. I mean just look at her.

Anyways, that came from the back of book 8, advertising book 9 (Kanami, Go East!) which is coming out this winter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Maoyuu and Log Horizon share author, so that's not coincidential.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Razzled posted:

Did I miss something? Because I could have sworn that the episode starts off (or did it end with this as the preview for the next episode?) with Shiroe being dead and reviving in the Cathedral with Akatsuki with some words about "not being able to trust his raid members enough".

Also, shine on Rundel you crazy diamond

They wiped but it wasn't anybody's fault. The trusting raid members enough thing is more general to the context..

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And that'd be why high-tier raids are now for the most hardcore of hardcore. Even DDD lowered themselves to raids like 20+ levels below them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Today's ep was basically Ch.1 of book 6, which was almost entirely setup. They could've move some events around but there isn't much wiggle room.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Even DEEN can't remove an entire chapter from the source material, dude. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Paracelsus posted:

Have we seen the blonde from DDD who is hanging out with the princess before? I didn't remember her name or even recognize her facehair, but she suddenly has a bunch of speaking lines.

Mamare is pretty bad at making characters important out of nowhere. Particularly since he's fond of picking up characters from side materials or fanworks. Tatara, for example. IIRC she was a fan character. (That's the blacksmith girl, btw)

And her name's Rieze. She showed up next to Krusty in shots showing off the DDD chain of command, but didn't really speak.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh relax, it's a single episode out of 28 and counting.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Nah it should ramp up within an ep or two. Also I don't know what you mean with padding. Right now it's running the plots of books 6 and 7 in parallel and it's finally done with the setup for both.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Davincie posted:

maybe, but you know, studio deen happened

The director and writer is the same as before, this isn't DEEN.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It feels like what's her name who got killed at the end might not respawn. Can somebody who read the books spoil me on whether or not I'm right?

You aren't.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's just because they're being inconsistent in the censoring. For example, in the LN Demiglace was killed by Shiroe slicing his throat. You can imagine how that looked.
They eventually fade, but you have time to harvest stuff, IIRC.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ViggyNash posted:

Not enough Crusty harassing Leynessia, or doing much of anything really.

Have we even seen him this season except at the first round table meeting?

Novel Spoiler: He won't be showing up for a pretty long time.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fixed

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's nothing stopping an Adventurer from harming, raping or murdering a Lander. Remember S1?

Ofc Demidemi didn't ever go that far, but the principle's there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think they're having trouble working 2 simultaneous A-plots.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
All the scrubs are as old as they look, though. v:v:v

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The Evil Thing posted:

It's been my headcanon for some time now that Demikas is actually just a 13 year old kid. It was disappointed when he opened his mouth and it was Generic Anime Thug talking, when squeaky teenager would have been so much more realistic, especially given his personality.

Voice matches body, though.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Everyone's appearance is kind of a hybrid between their real body and their game character. This only really applies to people who had the corresponding gender and a human-like race, though. It doesn't really matter much aside from establishing that Shiroe is not a ~bishounen~ and showing how old characters are. On a related note, the newbies are kids for the sake of the narrative. The low-level group of characters go through story arcs that equate learning game mechanics and leveling up with maturing.

Obviously, everyone should be 30 year old men playing female characters with the bust slider at either of the two extremes, but in its own way LH is just as unrealistic about MMO's as SAO.

Also, don't have a headcanon.

Their appearances are their game characters with their RL faces slapped on (after some modding to account for feline features/opposite gender/etc)

And it's a 20(?) year old MMO, at this point it stops being a nerd hobby and becomes mainstream. Isaac is a carpenter IRL. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well she's supposed to look like a middle schooler. v:v:v

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Drifter posted:

Ahahaha. I wonder what her scythe actually said. That was pretty wicked.

We don't have a direct quote of the flavor text but her profile entry had this:

quote:

<Calamity Hearts>
God of Death's scythe, which was said to cause calamities with a single swing. A cruel weapon which grants high critical rate with multiple hits. A rare item with high popularity due to not only its performance, but also due to it's ill-omened, divine design.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess it might count as a novel spoiler: It's rumored he might be in China, but in reality nobody knows anything because he hasn't showed up in any of the books released so far. There's a chance he might pop up in Book 9, because of the context and focus of its story arc, but no guarantees either.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The problem is that it tried to run both books at the same time. Logical on paper, since they're chronologically simultaneous.
On the other hand, the pacings of each are very different. Akatsuki's story is a slow burn that ramps up when they reach the final confrontation, while Shiroe's story steadily builds up the tension as the stakes get higher.
So then you try to mash the two together and we get this.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rudy comes as a package deal with the rest of the scrubs and Isuzu in particular, so it works out fairly well.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think they changed her proportions for the RL segment to give it a more realistic feel. Her face (mostly jaw) also had a less anime look.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ I know I've been defending the anime before but god I could swear the LN didn't feel this loving slow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ethiser posted:

So why exactly are all the characters who are dealing with the Killer in Akihabara girls? Did they explain that and I missed it?

The core of the raid team is Souji's harem. Most of the non-WWB ones (and some WWBs) are anime-original or imported from elsewhere (fanfic, mangas, TRPG).

But really it's because this is the girls' story. Shiroe's side is the guys' story.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dragonatrix posted:

sorry log horizon but i cannot buy for one second that not only did that one ddd lady actually friggin read that swords flavour text but memorize it and know waaaaaaaay more about that one particular swords ingame backstory than just those few sentences

because loving no one cares about flavour text

certainly not before the whole "it matters!!!!" reveal anyway

She could've simply asked Akatsuki. She went and stared at that sword literally every day.

Also this game is 20 years old, these are adults playing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

There Bias Two posted:

I agree. I don'tu nderstand why they would break down all their defenses to eliminate this one guy who they were doing a pretty good job of tackling on their own.

Because they didn't do a good job explaining the implications of the movable armor's teleport ability. Simply put, he could've run to R&R whenever he wanted.

(It also tripled his HP)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC wolf dude is from the TRPG, same as the girl with black hair, yellow eyes and sleeveless top that gets a couple lines here and there and the other one with the amazing abs. Dude's probably in turn a reference to Man with a Mission, the guys who perform Database. They wear wolf heads in their performances (the quartet already had a proper cameo in S1).

In other news, stealing this from tumblr:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 22, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Desuwa posted:

I agree with this to some extent. The writing came off as unnecessarily mean-spirited to me and it made a huge deal out of what should have been a minor point. Maybe if Akatsuki was a shut-in with social anxiety or if she was extremely haughty about her skills the tone would have been warranted.

Also I don't get her obsession with calling herself weak either. It's true she might not be as much of a powerhouse as the hardcore raiders but she's still keeping pace in terms of level and combat strength. She just needs to do a few raids which is the equivalent of going to the gym for adventurers.
But she is a shut-in with social anxiety. That's kind of the point. Social awkwardness, inferiority complex, blah blah.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Clarste posted:

Except it's not supposed to be clear what it is: Akatsuki had no clue what they were. It's also supposed to follow the naming scheme of the other 4 ranks of skill, which all have to do with being taught or learning. Unless it says "Overskill" in katakana somewhere in the novels, I would trust the words that are actually coming out of the characters' mouths more than some term seemingly made up by an amateur translator because he thought it sounded cool.

Actually, I've heard this sentiment a lot ("oh, those are supposed to be called Overskills"), and absent direct textual evidence I'm going to assume it's some poisonous meme affecting the weak-minded. Crunchyroll isn't a perfect translator, but it should be obvious to anyone watching the anime that that they're saying a Japanese word, and it is literally impossible for that the translate to "Overskill" since that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: I'm sure the fan translators had some sort of reason, and it's hard to judge the meaning of a Japanese word without seeing how it's written, but Teachings is a perfectly valid interpretation of what the actors actually say.

I once made this argument in /a/ and they pointed me straight to the web novel link where it says 'オーバースキル'. (It's here). Apparently it's how they're called in the US server. (Yamato server naturally simply says '口伝')
(FYI that's basically japanese FFn and it's where Mamare hosts the web novel which is more or less the pre-editors version)

XboxPants posted:

I thought the most recent episode and the battle were pretty decent and fun to watch, but looking back on it what was the point of any of it? If they were just going to turn off his magic armor anyway, what's the point with bothering with the massive raid? Why not just do that at the beginning, rather than at the end? That seemed completely dumb.

Unless they weren't sure they were going to get that support from Lenessia and they thought they had to beat him even with the armor? If that was the case it wasn't communicated that clearly, it seemed pretty clear she was gonna get the grid shut off. (Also why do so many people here use Raynesia, are there that many people reading the novels?)

Even with the magic armor turned off he still had raid boss stats. As far as I'm aware they weren't relying on Tatara's contribution plus they still had to immobilize him to pull that trick off. And with the magic armor he could just port away if he felt he was losing.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 23, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dan7el posted:

Flavor Text though. Made me wonder. What? Why not "weapon back story" or something straight forward? I wondered if taste was involved for a moment.

Because flavor text is how it's typically called in actual games.

Dzhay posted:

So what part of "there might be uses for these superpowers we have outside of what they were coded for in the game?" was so hard for anyone to explain to a short ninja?
A better advice would've been "stop thinking in terms of game mechanics" but frankly when was the last time telling somebody to think outside the box ever worked?
Plus to me it seems there is a bit of a self-realization trigger there, to 'force' the skill to work outside its own parameters.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrSunshine posted:

So if you can craft your own items, would it be possible to write the flavor text for them? And if flavor text is acquiring the same cachet as "real-world effects", what's to stop you from writing flavor text that makes your weapon indestructible, or any number of unbelievably powerful attributes?

Tatara made her own flavor text for the reforged Haganemushi, remember?
But it's probably not as gamey as that. Flavor text reflects an item's history and origins, so my guess is either you can't put a fake text or it simply wouldn't do anything. Or hell, it might just be an automatic process based on the crafter's feelings and intentions.
In my eyes it's not so much 'the flavor text becomes real' as 'the item's backstory [which is described in the flavor text] becomes real'.

And stuff like 'indestructible' and such are part of the item description (the other text box that shows up), not the flavor text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure she didn't do that, the text changed on its own after the fight was over.
Both in the LN and in the anime the flavor text is told right in the middle of the fight.
That said I changed my mind on the flavor text comes to be.

nielsm posted:

I'd lean towards the flavor text being generated from the circumstances about the item, rather than being written. It seems more sensible that the adventurers just have an ability to divine the circumstances of an item and get the divination delivered in the shape of a flavor text.
Yeah I'm leaning on this one as well now that it occurred to me.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread