Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The lawn-spraying service used to be called ChemLawn, but then after about a decade people went "huh, do I really want chemicals all over my lawn?" and now they call themselves TruGreen, though I think they retained the ChemLawn part, they just don't really use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WonderfulWino posted:

Its amusing that after destroying terrestrial radio they rebrand themselves I♥radio.

The internet and satellite radio did that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heroin is called that because it was invented and trademarked by the Bayer corporation.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is Mtgox still around?

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

AirTran

Google (not a stupid company but what a stupid name)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lagrange posted:

AirTran

Google (not a stupid company but what a stupid name)

AirTran* thanks.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

zoux posted:

AirTran* thanks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cream_Filling posted:

Wait this can't be real can it

ClearChannel is still a thing, but like the Comcast/Xfinity thing people brought up before, they are rebranding because their name generates general dislike due to their well known lovely business practices.

The company I work for now started out as Flakt, then Carborundum, then got bought out by electronics maker ABB, then through a series of further mergers became Alstom. Now it's being bought by GE and will become GE Power or something like that, who cares I'm leaving this job in like a month.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Apple Computers -> Apple Inc

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Due to wage stagnation, companies find it harder to find talented, qualified people who need to be able to adapt to changing processes, retain knowledge of many contacts, be able to interface both with software and other employees smoothly, and other concerns because these people want to be compensated well. So they're forced to take the desperate, talentless idiots who can barely function because it saves them money allowing more money to flow up to the shareholders.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
NBC Blue --> ABC

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
KKK -> Tea Party

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Cream_Filling posted:

Is Mtgox still around?

Nah, they went bankrupt and the ring leader did a runner with my £20 which was just a few pence originally.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm gonna reverse on you here a bit.. a company that SHOULD have changed the product name but didn't.

AYDS was a popular diet candy/appetite supressant in the 70's and early 80's. Then we found out about AIDS and the company steadfastly refused to change its name. Here's a commercial that is hilarious in retrospect. Especially the last line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkVuT5pw1g

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cream_Filling posted:

The National Biscuit Company is now just Nabisco

whoa

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
the Congo Free State

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Jay's Potato Chips used to be "Japp's". Then the whole WWII business happened.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Isn't Firestone one of the most blatant cases of this?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Isn't Firestone one of the most blatant cases of this?

Firestone is still around.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BigBoss posted:

Firestone is still around.

Didn't they rebrand completely as parent company Bridgestone for a while after that crazy amount of bad press?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Dow Chemical you loving goons

Except they didn't even have to change their name after killing thousands in India because money rules the world

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Black & Decker had to release tools under a different name because theirs had a lovely reputation.

General Motors did this but with like 15 different names

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

"Where do you want to go for lunch today? Oh I know, lets go to Hitler. Hitler looks pretty good."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

Dow Chemical you loving goons

Except they didn't even have to change their name after killing thousands in India because money rules the world
Union Carbide did the Bhopal chemical spill

Dow Chemical bought them out recently

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
The World Wrestling Federation was supposed to stop calling itself WWF like 20 years ago because that belonged to the World Wildlife Fund but its owner is a rich rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress so they only did it once forced (about 7 years later), and then only barely.

They weren't in any real danger of going out of business though, because again, rich rear end in a top hat.

Olive Mohel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 9, 2014

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Downercut posted:

The World Wrestling Federation was supposed to stop calling itself WWF like 20 years ago because that belonged to the World Wildlife Fund but its owner is a rich rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress so they only did it once forced (about 7 years later), and then only barely.

They weren't in any real danger of going out of business though, because again, rich rear end in a top hat.

:vince:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

They eventually changed the name in 1988. To Diet Ayds. It didn't help much.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Mnemosyne posted:

The lawn-spraying service used to be called ChemLawn, but then after about a decade people went "huh, do I really want chemicals all over my lawn?" and now they call themselves TruGreen, though I think they retained the ChemLawn part, they just don't really use it.

Where are you from? I thought Trugreen was an Ohio only thing.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

butplug accident posted:

Blackwater aka. XE aka. Academi

It's under the banner of "Constellis Holdings" now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

a private, professional military force led to the downfall of the roman empire so i can say that private murder soldiers are super good and cool

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

like a million fertility clinics called ISIS

I forget what the hell this changed to but yeah,

landy.
Jan 20, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Halah posted:

It didn't change.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Halah posted:

theres a few of those at my work, they just changed their name to "Softcard"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Square Enix -> Enix Square

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MegaGatts posted:

Googled this and got a redirect on Wikipedia to Triple Canopy. The names keep a changin'.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

Googled this and got a redirect on Wikipedia to Triple Canopy. The names keep a changin'.

Triple Canopy was a competing security contractor, they had contracts during the iraq war wtf did blackwater and them merge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
We'll just go down to the phone company and straighten it out.
Which phone company? There are hundreds of them.
And they all keep changing their names.
(SOBBING) I think we're with Comquaaq.
No, I think its Niagular.
No, last week they became Vertiqual.

• Locked thread