Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I continue to cheat with Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Scones with Cranberry Jam!

Delicious and rich! Make ahead, freeze, and toast one up the morning of Thanksgiving to nibble on while watching the parade.

http://camillestyles.com/food-and-drink/the-perfect-bite-sweet-potato-scones/ except I added a 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips. Other add-ins could be dried fruit, or some pecans. Just resist the urge to make your scone 50% sweet bits. It's meant to be eaten with jam and tea!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Made mashed tonight before I saw the thread. Luckily I've got 5 pound bag of russets that I picked up today. I've been meaning to make Kenji's Hasselback Gratin.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I Hasselbeck'd

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Made Joel Robuchon's gratin dauphinoise. It is ridiculously good. The topping not only gets ridiculously brown, it is crunchy. It's perfectly well cooked all throughout and the aroma of garlic is powerful while it bakes. Awesome gratin!

The recipe didn't call for it, but I also buttered the dish, which ended up browning really nicely.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 21, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That looks loving awesome. I know you said it had a great garlic aroma, but did it come through at all taste-wise? When I googled the recipe it called for "1 plump (lol), fresh garlic clove". I loving love my garlic but that wouldn't do poo poo for such a large gratin, no? I'd probably use an entire bulb.

Oh yeah and the other night I made roasted garlic mashed potatoes with a bunch of parm microplaned into it and it was loving delicious and I couldn't stop eating it so I didn't get a picture but it was excellent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not much in the flavor. I actually used two cloves but I'd use a total of three or four if I did it again. Looking over the recipe it's kind of hard to imagine where to stick in extra garlic... Don't want to just run all of it on the dish and I wonder if it would get overcooked if it's put in the cream at the beginning... maybe as you're putting the cooked potato slices in the baking dish?

Now that I've thought about it some more one of the ingenious things about this recipe is that it cooks the potato slices in cream for 20 minutes. You know how starch capsules are broken open when cutting potato slices, and the released starch sits on the surface of the potato slices? The first cooking actually takes advantage of that starch, distributing it around to thicken the cream. It's brilliant. (Several other recipes do this too)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Roasted a duck on Sunday, and potato'd to go with it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I made Kenji's hasselback potato gratin from Serious Eats and it was amazing. I don't cook potatoes very often but this was so good and really easy to make.

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW

cyberia posted:

I made Kenji's hasselback potato gratin from Serious Eats and it was amazing. I don't cook potatoes very often but this was so good and really easy to make.

I was looking at making those this Friday! What size pan did you use and about how many potatoes? I don't have a huge household to feed and that looks like the perfect amount :downs:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Phaxtor posted:

I was looking at making those this Friday! What size pan did you use and about how many potatoes? I don't have a huge household to feed and that looks like the perfect amount :downs:

It's just a generic non-stick casserole dish from KMart. It's about 20cm across and 10cm deep.

I used maybe 5 potatoes (maybe 1.5 pounds?) and it made four very generous servings. The only thing I did differently from the recipe was double the amount of garlic and cooked it for ~30 minutes with the lid off until the top was browned then put the lid on for another ~30-40 minutes to fully cook the potato slices. But my oven is very hot so it may take longer depending on your oven.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Made a steak so I made some mashed potatoes. What is the appropriate phone angle?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I would say the one not accentuating the gigantic piece of (delicious) but not horribly photogenic fat.

regardless, I'd eat the gently caress outta that

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I fry'd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW
Did a test run of hasselback potatoes before I do the au gratin version for dinner Friday. I also made a gravy from the steak and poured it over. This is my new favorite way to eat baked potatoes and I plan on trying a custom rendition of the slicing next week. Also, is it bad that the tater was the star of our steak dinner?

Halfway mark:

Full meal:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I would say the one not accentuating the gigantic piece of (delicious) but not horribly photogenic fat.

regardless, I'd eat the gently caress outta that

noted.

also, the broccoli potato mash was really great with olive oil. i'm surprised i haven't ever had it before.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Decided I wanted some oven fries/wedges and realized I had some chicken fat lying around. They came out a bit darker/crispier than they look in the picture.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

In like Finn gonna make some aligot tomorrow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FamDav posted:

Made a steak so I made some mashed potatoes. What is the appropriate phone angle?

why they green

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bob Morales posted:

why they green

FamDav posted:

also, the broccoli potato mash was really great with olive oil. i'm surprised i haven't ever had it before.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Excuse the super lovely photo because I suck at it, but I made some potato cakes from some leftover mashed potatoes I had. Not pretty in the slightest but they were loving delicious.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mashed potato cakes are awesome with some paprika-based essence-grade seasoning mixed in or some leftover chicken rub with brown sugar/paprika base as used on so many beer can chickens. :yum:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Made Chef John's Patatas Bravas.

Way oversalted the boiling water so post-cooking seasoning wasn't even needed. Also really loved the underlying flavor the cumin added.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Made modernist potato purée. Involves blending potatoes but thanks to the use of diastatic malt powder, instead of turning into glue the starch gets broken down into sugar. Because of the lack of cream and butter, this is the most potatoey-tasting mash I've ever had. And yet it's delicious because of the natural sugars. In fact it reminds me of the taste of cooked parsnips.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Never made (or eaten I think) a loaded potato, so I did another one

mixed the potato with sour cream, cheese, jalapeno and spring onion.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

I scalloped a gratin.

Followed this recipe exactly and wouldn't change a thing. They were fantastic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wait until you try Serious Eat's "hasselback" gratin, mang.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hash browned.

I know they were an example of something unadventurous in the OP, but I love hash browns and have never made them before. I was going to make them before this thread was even posted -- had some excellent ones at brunch last week and resolved to finally do it.

Nothing fancy -- Yukon Golds with salt, pepper, rosemary, and a dash of smoked paprika. I grated them unpeeled with a food processor, but next time I will either grate them by hand or peel them, because the skin turned into mush and I had to separate it. I did squeeze out the excess moisture with a towel post-shredding.

The hasselback potatoes in this thread look super cool and I plan to make them as soon as I decide what to serve them with.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeahhhhhhh dog. Grilled strip, roasted brussels, aligot.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

hasselback gratin'ed

so good

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

kinmik posted:

Made Chef John's Patatas Bravas.

Way oversalted the boiling water so post-cooking seasoning wasn't even needed. Also really loved the underlying flavor the cumin added.

as much as I like his recipes, holy gently caress is his voice annoying. the way he ends every sentence with his tone going upward as if it's about to turn into a question sounds like he's trying to condescendingly talk to a child and it's more grating than nails on a chalkboard with a migraine :gonk:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

as much as I like his recipes, holy gently caress is his voice annoying. the way he ends every sentence with his tone going upward as if it's about to turn into a question sounds like he's trying to condescendingly talk to a child and it's more grating than nails on a chalkboard with a migraine :gonk:

Seriously. He sounds like my 6th grade history teacher.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made the serious eats hasselbeck gratin last night. Probably my new favorite potato dish. The vertical slice orientation means the slices don't mush together with gravity and each one has a crispy top third or so instead of just the top layer of slices.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Heston Blumenthal's mashed potatoes with lime jelly.

Uhh I don't get this lime jelly business. He says it's there to cut the richness of the butter in the potatoes, but the mashed potatoes aren't that rich compared to many other recipes. Instead I think the lime jelly is too sour and even when I used drastically less than the recipe called for it's still overpowering.

Tried little pickled beet cubes and it was just right however.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a great favorite that I like to make around the holidays for family events: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Celery-Root-Gratin-with-Leeks-368278

I use an immersion blender to puree the garlic into the cream after simmering. The recipe calls for celeriac, which I'm sure is good. Instead of the celeriac, I use Jerusalem Artichokes from my yard. It's a rich and decadent gratin worthy of holiday feasts, plus if you use the Jerusalem Artichokes everyone that enjoyed the dish will have a robust bout of farts after an hour or two thanks to the inulin. :gas::gas::gas::gas::gas:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078323/Revealed-The-vegetable-leave-passing-wind-Christmas-sprouts.html

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 30, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:siren: TODAY IS OCTOBER 30TH :siren:

PEOPLE WHO HAVE MADE POTATO
casu marzu
cyberia
contrapants
paraquat
Drink and Fight
KuroMayuri
Suspect Bucket
kinmik
SnakeParty
Spoon Man
The Glumslinger
Veritek83
The Midniter
Mr. Wiggles
Phaxtor
FamDav
guppy
FATWOLF

PEOPLE WHO SAID THEY'D MAKE POTATO AND HAVEN'T YET
Butch Cassidy
Sjurygg
Kenning

PEOPLE WHO POSTED IN THIS THREAD THINKING THEY COULD WITHOUT BEING REQUIRED TO MAKE A POTATO
ActusRhesus
BlueGrot
Bob Morales
Cavenagh
Zeno-25
AVeryLargeRadish

:siren: You have 48 hours to make a potato side dish and post evidence of it in this thread :siren:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 30, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
What is the consequence if you fail to make a potato of some sort? I'll probably just resort to making a steamed potato, I can't really handle much cooking right now... :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What is the consequence if you fail to make a potato of some sort? I'll probably just resort to making a steamed potato, I can't really handle much cooking right now... :(

You will be subjected to shame!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

potato in oven

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I made aligot on Tuesday and I took a picture and everything. I'll post it when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm on sick leave from work due to panic attacks(wtf, gently caress you too, brain), so hopefully that gives me a grace period? Maybe I'll make some potatoes tomorrow, but not the potatoes I planned :c

• Locked thread