Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Can we do sweet potatos? On nom nom am yam yam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BlueGrot posted:

How do I avoid potato water going brown?

The water you boil them in? Scrub and wash the potatos beforehand, a proper scrub. Water squeezed from potatos? I'd think some lemon juice, or other citrus, same way you stop fruit from browning.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
While we wait (or let potato bread rest)..

POTATO-TAN WHY WONT YOU NOTICE ME

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/105/page/3
http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/105/page/4
http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/105/page/5

Before I am reported, let me note that this is a farming manga by the lady who wrote and drew Full Metal Alchemist, and is the very reason I WWOOF and farm now. THIS ANIME IS VARY IMPORTANT TO MEE

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 13, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

Food anime is a hilarious blend of actual educational information and hyperbolic exaggerated bullshit. Yakitate Japan was my favorite.

Here, watch a cartoonish-looking man do some cartoon poo poo with potatoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-VsLRVemzk

Here is a man with a cartoonish voice teaching you to make fondant potatoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOatJPocjDo

bad english dubs are satan i demand the highest quality subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Sno4zeF9g

edit: Two hours for fries? Six hours for doughnuts? Are you kidding? I'm not going to Nobu, I just want a snack.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 13, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I HAVE CHEATED AND MADE DINNER ROLLS

Sweet potato dinner rolls! Needs a touch more salt, probably 3 teaspoons rather then 1.5, and I added a teaspoon of brown sugar when blooming the yeast. They also could have gone with an extra minute or so in the oven to get more toasty, but I was worried and the lighting was bad, so I didn't see exactly how pasty they looked. I also brushed the tops with butter with a pinch of cinnamon and allspice, that could have been salted butter. BUT THIS IS WHY WE PRACTICE.

Have you ever been to Logans Road house, the bbq chain with the free 'shell and eat' roasted peanuts they encourage you to toss on the floor? Tastes just like their rolls. Very rich and moist, great with beer. I was pleasantly surprised!

http://www.health.com/health/m/recipe/0,,10000000408839,00.html

I was also affing THRILLED to figure out finally how pizza places make their weird little garlic knot shapes! I make the knots, found they were too big, and started to cut them in half and pinching them together into rounds. I did several, and GASPED in astonishment, realising that they looked exactly like the perfect delicious garlic knots you get in every Long Island pizzeria. I feel like I've rediscovered damascus steel.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 15, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In the continuing adventures of "What do you mean I bought too many sweet potatoes", I bring to you Spicy Green Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatos! Which is totally not a baked potato with stuff on top, it's CLEVER.

(its beeyootiful)

You will need, for one serving,
1 Medium Sweet Potato
Olive Oil to coat skillet
1/2 tablespoon untoasted sesame seeds and red pepper
A handful of long green beans (fresh is best, frozen is okay but add to the skillet carefully!)
Butter
Sriracha

I baked the sweet potato for about 45 minutes in my toaster over for 45 minutes while watching Top Gear. When it was done all the way through, I turned the oven off and let it rest in there while I heated up some olive oil over medium heat, then tossed in half a tablespoon of sesame seeds, dried hot red pepper, and some dried minced tomato (which are kept in very similar containers and can be easily mixed up at first glance. Never mind, it was yummy). I let that all bloom until the red peppers started bothering my nose, so I turned up the vent fan, and threw in a good handful of green beans. I sauteed them up, removed from heat, and grabbed my now mostly handleable sweet potato from the toaster. I split it a quarter down lengthwise, mushed it up a bit, then packed it down to receive green beans. Then you carefully scoop the hot green beans and all the fixings on top of the potato, and top with a pat of fresh cream butter and a drizzle of sriracha for color.

Delicious and filling! This would serve perfectly well as a meat replacement meal for a vegetarian, even a vegan without the butter! I'm thinking for thanksgiving sides, I'll just make small dishes with a half or a third of a big sweetie's worth (since my thanksgiving looks to be just me and my parents this year, and we are not huge eaters) instead of stuffing whole potatoes and expecting everyone to finish that, the sweet potato rolls I'll definitely be making again, some spinachy or broccoli thing Ill have to think up, AND the whole roast chicken.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 15, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

Made dauphinoise from the Fernand Point recipe, one with eggs and one without. The first thought I had while putting the ingredients together was "wow, that's not a whole lot of mix to put on the potatoes." The final results are kind of bare and dry. Reading the ingredients for the Robuchon version, it immediately looks more attractive because of the amount of cream and the cheese.

You might be right on the eggs and cheese bit.

Did you bloop the layers of Creme Fraiche in between the 'tatos plain, or was there anything else? In my experience, alkaline stuff destroys any of the fun yonk bite profile that Fraiche gives. Hard sour fraiche (freech in my farmy land) has the low ph sting of good gin and better cheese, without the effort but a thousandth of the keep.

I'm guessing the flavor of this dish depends a lot on managing ph.

Also gently caress googling 'ph of "food"' without coming up with some weird-rear end cancer conspiracy thing. I JUST WANT A LITMUS TEST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I continue to cheat with Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Scones with Cranberry Jam!

Delicious and rich! Make ahead, freeze, and toast one up the morning of Thanksgiving to nibble on while watching the parade.

http://camillestyles.com/food-and-drink/the-perfect-bite-sweet-potato-scones/ except I added a 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips. Other add-ins could be dried fruit, or some pecans. Just resist the urge to make your scone 50% sweet bits. It's meant to be eaten with jam and tea!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread