Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
After a stupid accidental first post...

Chokes McGee, your LPs are amazing. I created this account not just to tell you this, but also to be able to tag along for the ride that is your new one. Your Final Fantasy Legend LP may well be my favorite out of any screenshot LPs I've read, and I'm thrilled that you're doing another.

FFL2 was my very first RPG, played at the young age of ten, and it beat the everloving poo poo out of me. Even so, it's always been dear to me.

After I read your LP of the first one, I was crossing my fingers, hoping that you'd do an LP of the sequel. It's great that you've decided to, and I hope it's just as good as the first!

Edit: Another thing I'm looking forward to is how you play the dialogue throughout the game. Like it says in the opening, FFL2 plays the dialogue a lot better than the first game. It's still a little bare-bones, but you'll have less to work with than with your previous LP.

Asura United fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

I wanted to hurry up and get this out there because Asura posted instead of replying.

I'll be kicking myself for that for a while now. :doh: I swear I'm not usually that dumb. Sorry Chokes.

In regards to the newest update and Zero getting another mutant ability, if I remember right, mutant abilities always replace the bottom one when they roll a new ability. That means that you can shuffle the useful ones like Cure and Flame up to the top, and leave X-Fire and the like at the bottom to get overwritten.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

I was going to get to the that eventually (no biggie), but you are correct. Right now, I think both mutants in the party have three abilities apiece. When we pick up our fourth, I'll show off the shuffle method.

Wasn't it the same in the first FFL game too? I don't think you said it in that LP; that's why I mentioned it.

If you knew about that though, you probably also know about the way you can roll some pretty devastating magics really early. I could see you doing that a few times for plot reasons.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Nah, in FFL1 powers just came and went randomly. I think you could even have multiple powers change at once.

Also, they started with 4 dummy slots for powers right from the start, so you could only ever equip 4 items. In FFL2 you can load up a mutant with 7 items right at the start and they'll only ever have 1 power, although that means their starting power will be overwritten by the first power they get and you'll never be able to save any powers.

Ah, alright. I'm not as familiar with the first one. That... seems pretty unpleasant. Surprise, have X-Poison and ESP! Hope you weren't relying on that Cure and Armor spell 3/4ths of the way through the dungeon!

I did know about being able to mark more than 4 slots for weapons / armor though, which is crazy useful since mutants have pretty piddly defense and having 4 slots for armor + a weapon or two is really nice. Unless you roll O-Physical or something, odds are you might want more armor than abilities.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Also, if you didn't go back and buy an SMG for your Robot you're a horrible person or something. That thing is a great "oh poo poo" button.

You mean a great "Use against every grouped monster you come across" button. :smugdog:

Conservation? What's that?

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
I think I'm gonna have to do a playthrough alongside this LP. I just need to decide which one to play. The DS version has a bit more balance and the encounter rate is more stable, but that friendship power mechanic is just... strange.

Word on the Wind posted:

Yeah that's the one. 2 and 3 both have fan translations available.

Didn't the translation group disband? IIRC, Saga 2 was still a little buggy on their last release.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

senrath posted:

Yeah, but they were mentioning some way of potentially influencing what you were getting, not just what you were losing.

Indeed. I guess I'll blow the lid on it (behind spoiler tags), since being teased about it for an entire page gets annoying if you don't know what the people are referring to.

Mutant abiliites are learned not only through standard drops, but also from monsters. Each monster has its own special "level", and they can teach abilities of a lower level than itself. As you can probably assume, bosses have a pretty drat high level. If you were so inclined, you can savescum before a boss, then keep beating him until your mutant learns Gigaflare or Tiltowait.

I'm sure Chokes will probably touch on this in a later update, and it sounds like he'll show it off in a bonus update, too. Now that I've completely broken this:

Chokes McGee posted:

:siren: Spoiler Policy :siren:

No spoilers: not equipment, not events, not wink-wink-nudge-nudge "oh man I can't wait for X" stuff.

maybe we can hold off on discussing it 'til he shows it off?

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I'd say this was unexpected, but given your name, I know you can't be up to any good :colbert:

It's true. Chokes is getting closer so I have to ruin the thread in a hurry!

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Reiska posted:

I like the DS version just about as much as this one, even if most of the added content is incomprehensible.

I used a guide to the Threads of Fate system while playing through it and it was STILL pants-shittingly confusing.

Chokes McGee posted:

And god drat did you almost do it. Good thing Roy is awesome :argh:

Seriously though, Ashura's put away, but Jesus loving Christ did I forget how balls-punchingly difficult this game is. I've adjusted and should be fine going forward now that I'm sandbagging fights correctly. We will go over these mechanics in Chapter 4, in which every minute Chokes gets owned hard. :pwn:

Totally thought you meant ME me, and almost had a panic attack, not gonna lie.

Yeah, Ashura functions as a pretty good wake-up call. You can generally bumble through the early game without a care in the world, but the Ashura fight is where the kid gloves get taken off and shoved straight up your posterior.

---

Like several other people in the thread, FFL2 was my very first RPG. Played at the tender young age of 10 when I had no idea what the hell I was doing, I did just what I said earlier: I bumbled through the first world with no real idea what the hell I was doing. I used one of each class, my human sucked, my mutant was only useful for fire spells, and my monster was always some saw-awful skeleton or something. Then I got to world two, and things got less easy. I started running from fights more and more. My guys kept getting KO'd more often, so I'd run from fights more often. Eventually I somehow made it to Ashura, and he completely stonewalled me. I threw myself at him again and again, but there was no way I could even touch him. Ever since then, he's kind of been "that one boss" for me, the badass that became a God and slaughtered my party. Even now, many years later, I've still got a soft spot for the guy -- and the whole six-arms three-heads thing, as an extension -- hence my name.

(I'd have put that in my opening post but you hadn't made mention of Ashura yet and I didn't want to spoil him being in this game too.

In a few updates I can buy an avatar without spoiling anything, yay!)

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

However, since poor Roy has 0 mana, the same cure book used on him would only restore 360 HP :smith:

Thankfully, that still isn't too bad. Just like in FFL1, you're generally either being hit for a handful of HP or practically one-shotted in most areas past the first couple worlds, and whittling down numbers is your top priority, so healing during battle isn't a terribly good idea most of the time. That does mean you'll probably need to burn two uses of Cure instead of one, but all in all, it's not that detrimental. The massive weakness to any and all magic, though...

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
-B-
GET EQUIPPED
WITH
NEW AVATAR

---

For all the trouble Ashura gave me as a kid, he goes down remarkably easy if you know what you're doing. Like you said, a robot equipped with the Fire MAGI completely neuters him. Kind of anticlimactic for the first real boss, honestly.

He dies like a bitch, too. :goleft:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

Magi levels acceptable. Welcome home, Jonathon.

How many Jonathans spell their names with an O at the end? :psyduck:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
Ki's body has always been my favorite dungeon in FFL2, and frankly, one of my favorite places in ANY RPG. Really, how often do you get to go inside someone's body in ANY game, much less a turn-based RPG?

Oh, and as an aside, for the people playing along at home:

Yeah, those guys come in a randomized group of up to eight. And they hit hard. If you don't have a bunch of party-wide attacks, you're gonna have a pretty bad time (or you could just reset until you get a group of 2 instead, whichever).

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

Stuff like this is why I've never been a fan of the robot/human/mutant/monster (or robot/2human/monster, for that matter) layout.

True, it's hard to get a good monster if you don't know what you're doing, but later on in the game, pretty much any monster will be a boon to the team. Just like in FFL1, they're all crazy good in one way or another: massive stats, party-wide attacks, great resists, etc.

If you can tough it out with a monster early on, you'll be rewarded for it, even if you don't religiously follow the meat chart. Also, if you get the meat from the babywyrm "boss", you'll get a huge jump-start with your monster, so there's that!

Plus, I've always been one to try and make each party member completely different. (Yes I know an agility human is way different than a strength human but you know what I mean, don't you sass me)

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
Okay, so this thread has gone on for far too long without this song being posted. It's the best remix of the best song of the best game in the series.* You guys need to go listen to it. :colbert:

*Statement subject to opinion

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Maybe we can figure out its effect by breaking it down into its constituents:

Plus: Obviously a reference to addition.
CA: The abbreviation of the great state of California.
Change: What you get when you break a dollar
Reste: It like a Nap, but with a pretentious "E". Nappe.
Meme: Kill these with fire.
La: A note to follow 'So'.

Clearly it's a spell to help Heather with some sort of tax evasion scheme in Cali involving fire, singing, and someone taking a pretentious Nappe. There is no other possible explanation.

No, no. "la" obviously means LA, or Los Angeles. Heather is secretly a mattress saleslady for hire, fraudulently telling people how good nappes feel on them, and he's trying to help her dodge taxes in the Los Angeles area of California.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

The more things change... :v:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
On the terrible side of games, there's also Bubsy 3D and... Pokemon Quartz. :gonk:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Earthbound, I think, has some of the developers show up

There's a house you can't enter in Fourside, where the sign outside says it's the development area for Earthbound 2. Honestly, EB has its fair share of meta-references.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
You could also do what I do and use the LP Master List. It's how I found out about this one! :eng101:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
Speaking of in-game info, I think the bit I posted about enemy hidden levels and mutants learning abilities will end up coming in handy after the next boss fight. Zero might learn something useful! :pseudo:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

As much as I wish there was a good explanation for the cells in Ki's immune system suddenly growing enormous and migrating to a different world, that's just lazy rehashing on the dev's part.

It's also yet another example of former bosses becoming random encounters. My previous point aside, it really helps show just how your characters have grown.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

FredMSloniker posted:

No, I think Asura says that wishing there weren't. That you'd only fight cell/virus-type enemies in that one 'dungeon'.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They're completely out-of-place anywhere else. I don't usually mind when games reuse old assets, but that's one situation where it just doesn't make any sense in an in-game standpoint.

Seyser Koze posted:

You say that as if there wasn't Plasma in the giant's world and other cell/virus-type enemies in the worlds to follow.

I can kinda see the Plasmas in Giant's World since it uses the virus model, and they're trying to give you an impression of just how big the giants were, but ehh... that still seems a little far-fetched.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Stop that, Saga. Stop. :catstare:

I know, beating a dead horse by now.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
The puns. THE PUNS. I feel so sara for this thread.

Did I do it right? :downs:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

I hate to say this, but probably not. I've never been particularly enamored of 3 because it lacks the typical batshit SaGa mechanics and feels hugely nerfed on top of that. My utter indifference to it would be palpable in the writing, so best not to do it.

I do have other things in mind, but I've forgotten just how drat much game there is here to cover, so this one may take a bit. Especially since I'm working at a way more leisurely pace than the first; FFL1 carried intensity with it, but family drama aside, 2 is WAY more lighthearted.

That's kind of a bummer to hear, but I understand ya. If your heart's not in it, then it wouldn't be near as wonderful as your other LPs. I do hope you keep it up after this one, though. I know it's still a ways off, but I don't want this LP to be your last. :( You're one of my absolute favorite LPers and the reason I finally decided to make an account, after all.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Being sick sucks. I wanted to do something special for everyone here before the new year, but now I don't think that's going to happen :smith: If this were Roy's world, I'm sure they'd just send tiny people in to beat up the viruses with random Latin and rocket fists.

Yeah, but then they'd probably beat up the immune system inside your brain, too. I hear that's sort of important.

Then again, Ki didn't seem to need it, so...

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nah, just change yer mom into one.

"BZZT, YOUR FATHER CHARMED ME WITH HIS CHEERFUL AND ELEGANT CODE"

I'm just a love machine,
I'm just a looove machine~

Been waiting for this part of the game. Here's where poo poo gets really awesome, and keep in mind, Roy and the gang already explored a deserted giant town, went into an underground volcano submarine, shrunk down and went into someone's bloodstream, and killed Best Villain who made himself a God.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
I think we've reached the :negative:est point in this thread.

Chokes, how come you don't post the music more often? I've seen it done in other screenshot LPs, and the FFL games totally have some of the absolute best music on the original Gameboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.

Chokes McGee posted:

Honestly? I don't get all that excited about FFL2's music. FFL was just so cheerfully dumb and inappropriate (except for dramatic moments, when it got loving badass) that it stuck with me. Most of the time FFL2's just kind of in the background, so I just post the important ones.

At some point I'll probably do a jukebox dump so you guys can hear all of them, though.

Really? :( Well, everyone's opinion is different, I guess. I just happen to love FFL2's music.

Hey, I didn't say it had the ONLY good music on the Gameboy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFydK_RC-w :colbert:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Or whatever the hell was going on with PSO, but at least everyone looked equally ridiculous in that.

Are you saying this ISN'T the definition of manliness?

• Locked thread