Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

for real. i feel like you'd get a completely different pool of employees if your office is in the woods on a lake or something. i'd kill for a job that has hike friday instead of ping pong friday or whatever.

You see this in New England to an extent. Most tech is still centered around larger cities, but you do find tech even in small towns in the wilderness, or at least near enough to where it's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

you'd never be able to get a table at Duck Fat, though

just maintain two residences, one in the middle of nowhere and one near civilization

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

no, I mean that it would be jammed with nouveau tech weenies all the time, if east-side Portland bulked up that economy

would be great for the very-deserving brewers, though

Oh. Anyways thanks for the tip on duck fat I'll have to go there sometime.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Remember when the History Channel had actual good history shows in the 90s? There used to be a lot more choices for smart programming where you actually learned something. Now it's all Ghost Hunters interspersed with obnoxious ads.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

do programming for stuff that virtually no one cares about,

This is the part that I find the most frightening; if I watch a video where you have someone giving a talk on an important issue, something people should be paying a huge amount of attention to, it may have a few hundred views on youtube, or maybe a few thousand. By comparison if you pull up some mindless pop video a few hundred million have watched it. People should care about these things but don't. It's bizarre to me that in this age of complete saturation of information it seems more difficult to find actual information.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

people don't give a poo poo and just want mindless entertainment

Given the opportunity though (and knowledge that there is an alternative) a lot of people will watch and enjoy educational programming. With respect to tv it's largely just not available at present and that's sad.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It makes sense in context; lots of people take vacation videos so they can relive it later. Disturbing as poo poo but consistent.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my dilz is gonna take a lil vacay inside your posthole

How characteristically vulgar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBt-nirXQDE

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Hands posted:

so she's a bad role model for girls because she's rich? or she's a bad role model because she doesn't understand something that you care about? help me out here

she's a bad role model, but a normal celebrity. People like Kim Kardashian exist because our society is messed up

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/oct/03/science.choosingadegree

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I renamed horse mans Mr. Hands and no one is going to notice otherwise and it was v. funny

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I'd like to see tech companies widely adopt that as a hiring platform, completely unchanged.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

no the shithead boomers just see a tasty looking goose, and by god they'll trample everything they have to to get their piece

tbf goose is delicious; it's all dark meat and has a nice rich flavor. Also you can save the rendered fat as a bonus. If it came between screwing over future generations or never having goose again, well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

graph posted:

americans need an enemy. americans love to be scared and live in fear

the other day Obama gave a speech about Ebola and he said

Are you loving kidding me posted:

America in the end is not defined by fear. That's not who we are. We don't just react based on our fears, we react based on facts and judgment.

:lol:

I was wondering though; if people didn't have wars, everyone in the world had food etc., climate change was actually being worked on - basically if the world just turned into a dumb giant hugbox would we all just get bored and go back to wars? Maybe it's just people get bored and we want to kill something or at least gently caress it up a bit

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

by the time the census 2020 rolls around, San Francisco's gonna have 4 black people: me and three homeless guys who missed the last bus to Richmond

also it'll probably still be conducted with pencil + paper and fed into mainframes that don't work for poo poo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

Workloads like counting highly parallel sets of similar data are where mainframes excel, funnily enough

that wasn't a rip on mainframes; properly configured mainframes would work fine for census data. However they're set up rather poorly; cost overruns for 2010 were about 3 billion because they did such a great job with their IT.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

government procurement selecting poo poo solutions?! why i never

They spent 600 million+ for custom handheld data collection devices that were so poorly implemented they scrapped the entire project. My favorite gov't system fuckup though has to go to the IRS. The IRS spent about 4 billion over the course of nearly a decade on a third party contract to update their federal income tax systems. At the end of the contract, the contractor just threw up their hands and said "we give up, we can't really do this." 4 billion dollars just up in smoke. Not that private industry isn't also often bad at wasting money, of course.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Is Florida one of the states where they're legally barred from taking climate change into account when planning?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Trashman posted:

If this is all your city has going for it then sorry but your city sucks idiot

Boston is really cool, I think Bloody must hate the weather or his job or he's never set foot in Cambridge, because drat. There's a lot to bitch about with any big city but Boston / Cambridge are cool, there's a ton to do and lots of nice local flavor.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Also, while sf is racially diverse, I would suspect that tech isn't that diverse as far as backgrounds; mostly kids of families with means. It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of educational and economic backgrounds. That's true everywhere though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bloody posted:

i work in cambridge, it is nothing special

it's great if you like doing research, plus nice restaurants and other shops, nice community. Helps if you have cool friends in the area; can be hard to meet interesting people at first.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

vodkat posted:

Same, but I live in the real cambridge :smug:

You have the coolest clock

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

boston needs to connect they stations

Government Center station is shut down right now, and it's right where the Green / Red / Orange meet so you can end up needing to take three trains, one in the wrong direction when normally it's just a quick transfer. Still one of the best transit systems in the states.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

all modes of transportation are terrible there

I don't drive around Boston if at all avoidable, as yeah driving around Boston is bad. Driving around San Francisco is worlds worse. Right now I'm ~1 hr outside of Boston and to get there, I can drive about 15 minutes and take public transit the entire rest of the way. The T is fine. Also lol at bitching about public transit in the US, it's all awful everywhere else unless you're in Manhattan or a few other select rich places in NYC. Take the BART, maybe you won't get shot.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

afaik pretty much everybody assumes everybody on the internet is white, at least those who hang out on english-speaking sites maybe, but it's part of how white is the "default," aka raceless, non-ethnic, if you walk into a room entirely filled with white folks you wouldn't notice but if you walk into a room of mostly minorities you're instantly aware of it.

tbh I thought you were probably black because you play bass guitar. I don't know if that's right or not.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

One of my least favorite things about Northern New England is how it's almost nothing but white folks. About the only people who ever have a problem with me (without knowing anything about me) is old conservative white men.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

You can manage charlie cards online now. Moving your car during snow does suck, but I never had to deal with that as I never lived in the city. Instead I get to shovel my drive, which is at least good exercise. If Boston had good weather all the time though, and streets laid out on a grid I think you lose something; builds character. Some of the intersections around here though, if you don't go through them regularly just lol things like that keep life interesting.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

same

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hi; did you call for an Uber driver?

Someone should do this

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"Hello, Statefarm? Yeah, my car was in an accident...no I wasn't driving...who was driving, no idea really but they wrecked it good...hello? Hello?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lciHCXQFkNk

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

entrepreneur in residence is a good euphemism for entitled rear end in a top hat

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i'm just saying there's a difference between can't and won't

well, they basically couldn't prosecute a lot of what went on in the 2007-08 crisis, largely because finance had been successful in having the laws changed in the lead up to the crisis, making their conduct legal. With respect to HSBC though, they specifically said that they weren't following through with prosecution because they were Too Big To Fail. So if you're rich enough you get subsidized by the government and can do whatever you want because it's either legal or, if it happens to be illegal, viewed as impractical to prosecute. Finance can do whatever the hell they want.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

crusader_complex posted:

this 'close relationship to lead to better reporting' lets officials leak their own info to the media, and then cite it later as something someone-totally-not-me said later.

didnt dick cheney do this with the nyt, leading up to the early 00s iraq war?

gov't officials do this all the time. Michael Hayden was famously overheard doing this while on an Acela train.

on a side note, NYT is also the paper that held the warrantless wiretapping story until after Bush's '04 election, per request.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

don't overlook the fact that they also are unwilling to invest any money in training their employees so the field of potential applicants is narrowed to the search for a loving unicorn. likely primarily driven by the fact that they skimp on internal raises so their retention rate is poo poo as everyone knows the only way to get back up to parity with the market rate or even just to keep up with inflation and cost of living is to switch employers.

this is, to me, one of the most infuriating things about working in tech. I mean, nearly all of us enjoy learning and indeed our knowledge is how we make money. So you have a field where people want to learn and think creatively, then you get out into the world of work and nearly all the employers go "oh, that's great that you've learned all these skills because we didn't want to have to train someone who can figure out multivariate calculus or write a compiler from scratch any new skills". Because obviously why would you want a broader base of workers with more diverse skills. It's so loving stupid.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pr0zac posted:

and cause everyone is weighing in on the study thing, i don't think fb itself broke the law or even really did anything all that out there, companies like okcupid etc have been doing this kind of poo poo forever, ive got no clue if the university researchers did wrt the whole consent thing, it seems likely they bent the rules a bit if not actually broke them, i do think fb should've better understood the backlash that this research was going to cause and made the effort to make sure the university research side of things was copacetic early on and done a better job with the way we released it

What Facebook did was probably legal, or at least is likely to be adjudicated that way, or they'll pay a fine and admit no wrongdoing. However, legal is not a proxy for ethical. Other companies behaving unethically doesn't excuse your company's unethical behavior either. Having a university agree it's probably legal doesn't excuse it either.

See the thing about manipulating people's emotions, even if that affect is slight; suppose that little push is just enough to get someone to kill themselves?

If they had wanted to do this properly, they would have solicited volunteers and probably paid them at least nominally as research subjects. That they clicked I Agree to a TOS that you have to agree to in order to open Facebook account isn't sufficient. But you work there, so perhaps you can't hear any of that.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Agreed on these points

The flip side is what if not showing a depressing post got someone to not kill themselves. There's no way to know that, period. Should all research on social media stop because someone about to kill themselves latched onto something they read online?

No, what you do is you get informed consent when you conduct research on humans, so people with clinical depression or otherwise opposed can opt out of it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

you're missing that they don't ened informed consent because they're not directly interacting with the subject. it's the same as researchers using census data.

There's broad agreement amongst researchers that what they did was not appropriate, and it's currently being litigated.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

what is 6.5 figures anyways

A while back someone posted they were going to be making six and a half figures, or 150k in their mind. Everyone poked fun at them and here we are.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

triple sulk posted:

The apartments on Seinfeld have been the only realistic television apartments.

except they keep their doors unlocked

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

qirex posted:

my front door is usually unlocked when I'm home

do you live in an apartment in nyc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

qirex posted:

no I live in an apartment in sf