Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Lf will rise again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

what this map is telling me is that we really need to work on securing a future for white children

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what if uber added driver-adjustable 'pay multipliers' that let drivers underbid each other for fares

or like you get a popup when the other dude gets an offer YOU WANNA SNAKE THIS FOR $1 LESS?

obviously i'm being cartoon villain evil here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

prefect posted:

Thomas Schmidt, one of the developers of the app, told BuzzFeed that they've been in touch with Uber for the last two weeks about their product, and they don't seem to mind it one bit.

"Uber's actually been super cool about SurgeProtector," Schmidt stated in an email.

"In fact, we think SurgeProtector could actually increase demand as the people who use SurgeProtector to get out of surge are probably part of a contingent that wouldn't have called a surge-priced Uber anyway," Schmidt continued.

lol awesome they just outsourced their price discrimination

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

what this map is telling me is that we really need to work on securing a future for white children

because the beauty of the white aryan woman must not perish from the earth

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Counterpoint:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

stormfront posting itt

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

qirex posted:

an e4 with 2 years of experience [is that even possible to enlist at e4 without college?] makes 25 grand

maybe an additional mix of enlistment, deployment, and dependents bonuses.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
man I knew a marine captain and I wanna say that he was getting ... 35k? 40? something ridiculous like that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WHY ARE WE GONNA RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE WHEN ARE TROOPS MAKE LESS THAN THAT AND FAST FOOD WORKERS DON'T PROTECT ARE FREEDOMS

SHARE IF YOU SUPPORT ARE TROOPS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

man I knew a marine captain and I wanna say that he was getting ... 35k? 40? something ridiculous like that.

O-3 is 3,873.77/month basic pay according to that chart linked. i don't think anyone gets only base pay in the military though

lol bah is $1,020.60

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

WHY ARE WE GONNA RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE WHEN ARE TROOPS MAKE LESS THAN THAT AND FAST FOOD WORKERS DON'T PROTECT ARE FREEDOMS

SHARE IF YOU SUPPORT ARE TROOPS

man i saw that exact post this morning. it's really weird half my friends are liberal coast elitist novax snobs and my other half are mma gun rights nuts. it was pretty funny when seattle was voting on the new minimum wage last year lmty

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm the lack of accounting for the fact most of those high black population counties have very few people, often right next to heavily white counties with much more people and for some reason who knows much better schools and everything set up.

(for instance there's more black people in new york city alone than all of mississippi and alabama together, iirc)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm the lack of accounting for the fact most of those high black population counties have very few people, often right next to heavily white counties with much more people and for some reason who knows much better schools and everything set up.

(for instance there's more black people in new york city alone than all of mississippi and alabama together, iirc)

also, according to wikipedia (pbuh), more people in nyc than in mississippi+alabama put together.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

by the time the census 2020 rolls around, San Francisco's gonna have 4 black people: me and three homeless guys who missed the last bus to Richmond

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

by the time the census 2020 rolls around, San Francisco's gonna have 4 black people: me and three homeless guys who missed the last bus to Richmond

also it'll probably still be conducted with pencil + paper and fed into mainframes that don't work for poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

also it'll probably still be conducted with pencil + paper and fed into mainframes that don't work for poo poo

at least we'll probably have better response rates without a friend of the family president

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

oh god please dont summon ibm stymie

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at least we'll probably have better response rates without a friend of the family president

mods please. no more racism in yospos.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

oh god please dont summon ibm stymie

Workloads like counting highly parallel sets of similar data are where mainframes excel, funnily enough

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

a lot of southern states have a higher proportion of minorities than many northern ones though

like mississippi is 30% black which is why it's routinely the worst state in various metrics

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

Workloads like counting highly parallel sets of similar data are where mainframes excel, funnily enough

GODDAMN IT

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

PleasingFungus posted:

also, according to wikipedia (pbuh), more people in nyc than in mississippi+alabama put together.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

that wasn't a rip on mainframes; properly configured mainframes would work fine for census data. However they're set up rather poorly; cost overruns for 2010 were about 3 billion because they did such a great job with their IT.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hobbesmaster posted:

O-3 is 3,873.77/month basic pay according to that chart linked. i don't think anyone gets only base pay in the military though

lol bah is $1,020.60

does that include the free housing/food/etc though? thats a huge part of military compensation

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

government procurement selecting poo poo solutions?! why i never

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this gimmick is getting old, plz go back to sperging about protected titles

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

government procurement selecting poo poo solutions?! why i never

They spent 600 million+ for custom handheld data collection devices that were so poorly implemented they scrapped the entire project. My favorite gov't system fuckup though has to go to the IRS. The IRS spent about 4 billion over the course of nearly a decade on a third party contract to update their federal income tax systems. At the end of the contract, the contractor just threw up their hands and said "we give up, we can't really do this." 4 billion dollars just up in smoke. Not that private industry isn't also often bad at wasting money, of course.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

computer parts posted:

like mississippi is 30% black which is why it's routinely the worst state in various metrics

vodkat posted:

mods please. no more racism in yospos.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

mooooooooods, do the needful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

someone in the sci fi thread wrote that True Detective was a dear john letter to the deep south and it was what made me end up watching the show

this is an apt description

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

no man its "Convince the South to Rise Again, and Let Them Go Without Making Such a Big Fuss This Time," or CSRAandLTGWOMSBFTT

the south won the last war, in 1877, the year the union stopped trying to secure democracy south of the mason-dixon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the south won the last war

the union won all the battles, all declared objectives were secured, but nothing was resolved in our favor

only if you think northerners aren't racist

the north got exactly what it wanted which was crippling the southern economic system (slavery) in favor of the northern one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

the north got exactly what it wanted which was crippling the southern economic system (slavery) in favor of the northern one

that had occurred before the war even started

the south was a banana republic. it lagged on any economic indicator you can name, but most notably gdp per capita and railroad miles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that had occurred before the war even started

you're right, i should've said "killing"

the south hosed itself of course by seceding but that doesn't mean that the north didn't want to get rid of slavery entirely if it had the chance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

you're right, i should've said "killing"

the south hosed itself of course by seceding but that doesn't mean that the north didn't want to get rid of slavery entirely if it had the chance

getting rid of slavery made no lasting changes to the social order. the end of reconstruction was total defeat for the union cause.

"free labor" did not triumph in the south. there was no economic blossoming. markets did not develop for northern manufactured goods. the old aristocracy's death grip on power and money was unshaken

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

getting rid of slavery made no lasting changes to the social order. the end of reconstruction was total defeat for the union cause.

"free labor" did not triumph in the south. there was no economic blossoming. markets did not develop for northern manufactured goods. the old aristocracy's death grip on power and money was unshaken

it caused high migrations to northern cities which depressed wages and provided easy cheap labor

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
maoism teaches us that the aristocracy needed to be eradicated in order to upset the social order sufficiently

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

that wasn't a rip on mainframes; properly configured mainframes would work fine for census data. However they're set up rather poorly; cost overruns for 2010 were about 3 billion because they did such a great job with their IT.

Oh yeah, the cost overruns are an intentional effect of the process. Everyone's gotta get paid, and their friends too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I've heard tales of a top secret Air Force mainframe older than the os/360 variant (the first real mainframe as we know it today). The tapes are a special tape system. At many times they've tried to convert it to something more modern but then realize that converting all the data will take 5+ years or WAAAAAAY more money than it's worth it to just have to order bespoke tape readers and poo poo.

This was 10 years ago though, so they probably converted it to..... just kidding they're probably paying an 87 yo contractor $200,000 a year to maintain that pos.

edit:

also, since this is tech bubble. lollin' at IBM desperately trying to get in to the cloud space. It's too bad they were so greedy cause the mainframe running zLinux has been doing, for years, what vmware/etc have just started doing.

I just love the advertising: come buy $600,000 in CPU's + you'll need to lease storage arrays from someone and then hire engineers who can maintain these systems who cost $150,000 a year (in a shithole state, not the Bay Yeahrea) minimum salary so you can run linux.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread