Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

born on a buy you posted:

putin is making a run at it

pfaugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i'm under 30 though so the cold war basically did not exist for me outside of history books

that era has imprinted on me as "the time when america was still accomplishing things."

hosed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i have absolutely no idea how to fix america without a whole lot of takin-people-out-back-and-shootin-em. no clue.

man i just told u how

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

that era has imprinted on me as "the time when america was still accomplishing things."

hosed.

cold war got us to the moon.

nationalism ain't all bad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

rotor posted:

man i just told u how

it's "elect eric schmidt ceo of america" right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

cold war got us to the moon.

nationalism ain't all bad.

i really wish china would announce a manned mission to mars

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

We could maybe keep the casualties down to 100, 150 million, but I do not see us pulling out of this tailspin with any lighter casualties than that.

do these casualties hafta be american

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

it's "elect eric schmidt ceo of america" right?

no man its "Convince the South to Rise Again, and Let Them Go Without Making Such a Big Fuss This Time," or CSRAandLTGWOMSBFTT

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do these casualties hafta be american

depends what you mean by "American" doesn't it

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

rotor posted:

no man its "Convince the South to Rise Again, and Let Them Go Without Making Such a Big Fuss This Time," or CSRAandLTGWOMSBFTT

backup plan

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we've tried nothin and we're all out of ideas

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the cold war seems so weird to me. the ussr in theory was an actual threat. not a real one, but there was a constant "they could nuke us." the closest my generation has to that is terrorism i guess.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

but seriously, as long as i was firmly entrenched on this side of ye Mason-Dixon, this would be one of the most spectactular meltdowns ever on earth. like, i giggle just thinking of the chaos and war

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
everyone i know's view on the ~war on terror~ is "a guy i went ot high school with went and acme back all sort of mentally hosed up"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the cold war seems so weird to me. the ussr in theory was an actual threat. not a real one, but there was a constant "they could nuke us." the closest my generation has to that is terrorism i guess.

but the weird part is was all puppet states and proxy wars.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

nah, actual existential threat both sides can unite to fight. cold war 2 would instantly lead to infrastructure spending to keep up with _______________

during arms treaty talks, Reagan seriously asked Gorbachev if the U.S. & U.S.S.R. would team up again if aliens invaded

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no, the closest your generation has is ... oh, say ... the accidental release of forgotten soviet weaponized smallpox

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

eschaton posted:

during arms treaty talks, Reagan seriously asked Gorbachev if the U.S. & U.S.S.R. would team up again if aliens invaded

our greatest president

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

We could maybe keep the casualties down to 100, 150 million, but I do not see us pulling out of this tailspin with any lighter casualties than that.

yall need to read Brunner's The Sheep Look Up

just, uh, hide all the sharp objects before you do. it's not as optimistic as some of his other work.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

but the weird part is was all puppet states and proxy wars.

AND imminent thermonuclear holocaust

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

eschaton posted:

personally I would prefer if us and the aliens teamed up on those drat filthy communists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah, actual existential threat both sides can unite to fight. cold war 2 would instantly lead to infrastructure spending to keep up with _______________

A genetically engineered alien squid.

We already know this

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

no, the closest your generation has is ... oh, say ... the accidental release of forgotten soviet weaponized smallpox

well yes, terrorism is not a real threat to 99.99% of americans.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

soviet weaponized smallpox

yet another cool remnant of the cold war. the director of the soviet biowarfare division confirmed they had a smallish stockpile of weaponized smallpox ready to go. The cool thing is that no one is really sure what happened to it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

AND imminent thermonuclear holocaust

i like that it's fairly well established now that kennedy was clumsy and brutish and the russians were just trying to keep MAD mutually assured

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

putin is making a run at it

that's purely for internal consumption

well, to him, "internal" means across the entire former Soviet Union, but still. if a country wasn't part of the USSR, or was and is now part of NATO, it has little to worry about from Putin.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd imagine at least ten times as many Americans died in military training accidents between 1950 and 1990 than have been killed by terrorism in the entire history of the United States

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

yet another cool remnant of the cold war. the director of the soviet biowarfare division confirmed they had a smallish stockpile of weaponized smallpox ready to go. The cool thing is that no one is really sure what happened to it.

my wife did undergrad research with a prof working on making aerosolized anthrax. we've made far more nasty things since then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syscall girl posted:

i like that it's fairly well established now that kennedy was clumsy and brutish and the russians were just trying to keep MAD mutually assured

JFK took us far closer to nuclear war than any other president.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

man i just told u how

I love how

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my wife did undergrad research with a prof working on making aerosolized anthrax. we've made far more nasty things since then

sure, but we didn't misplace several hundred gallons of it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

I'd imagine at least ten times as many Americans died in military training accidents between 1950 and 1990 than have been killed by terrorism in the entire history of the United States

even on active duty the most dangerous thing for a soldier is himself

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

rotor posted:

maybe... it was... refined... into...... your posts???

is this how yospos works am i doing this right

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

and quickly help all of the people they'd be eager to enslave get out.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

sure, but we didn't misplace several hundred gallons of it.

we've displaced nukes. no way bio weapons haven't made it out

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

maybe... it was... refined... into...... your posts???

is this how yospos works am i doing this right

maybe calm down on the ellipses but yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we've displaced nukes. no way bio weapons haven't made it out

I dont really know what you're getting at.

All I'm saying is that the only thing I can imagine that's currently vagely comparable to the threat of global thermonuclear war is some sort of massive plauge, for instance if somehow smallpox++ came back, and really not even then.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

and quickly help all of the people they'd be eager to enslave get out.

we got jonny out what more do you want of us

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

I dont really know what you're getting at.

All I'm saying is that the only thing I can imagine that's currently vagely comparable to the threat of global thermonuclear war is some sort of massive plauge, for instance if somehow smallpox++ came back, and really not even then.

oh yeah i understood that. terrorism is not a real threat and my generation really doens't have one other than impending late stage capitalism or random plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Give every southerner one chance at a 100% debt-free no strings attached free ride out, relocation and all.

If they refuse or protest, do not bicker. They will understand their folly when the skies ignite and the land burns

• Locked thread