Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Death wave action set. That makes perfect sense! Remember how those 9/11 toys were all the rage with kids? No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

autopick obvious fake choices from here on in

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The play set of the atrocity that killed thousands! Must of been a big seller!

Buy one massacre, get another half price!

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Obviously it's the set of 9/11 gold coins set of Super 9/11 action figures

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

You have no patience for Prodigal's games, but then again, you already know which figure is the Telelock:

A gold-cast version of my Hero of Tomorrow action figure.

The limited gold edition The Sound & The Fury figures.

The Death Wave action figure set, which features figures of me, my parents, Miss Artillery, Prodigal, and a golden Death Wave suit.

An exact replica of my parents' golden engagement ring before it was destroyed, right down to the lyrics: My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns, hun

quote:

Not waiting for Prodigal, you open the case and snatch the golden Telelock, then grab a hold of Prodigal.

"Wait, there's something I need to tell —"

Before Prodigal can finish, you're enveloped in a flash of teleportation energy and you close your eyes.

quote:

When you open your eyes again, you find yourself in a windowless room. The walls are lined with pictures of you, ranging from your tween years all the way to last year, posing in your original Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson costume. You'd be freaked out enough by that creepy collage, but then you see what's in the center of the room…

Someone tied to a chair, bound and gagged.

Someone who looks exactly like Sonja Challa.

quote:

CHAPTER THREE - MINDMAZE

"Prodigal, what the slugger is wrong with you?"

The words slip out of your mouth before you can form a coherent thought. Though the moment you do, you realize that this woman isn't Sonja — she just looks an awful lot like her, right down to the black clothing, gold jewelry, and braid-bun. You have no idea why Prodigal has kidnapped this woman, but your first priority is getting her free.

"See, I meant to explain this before we arrived," Prodigal sighs as you pull off the ropes. "That's Juhi Challa, Sonja's sister. But I promise I mean her no harm, I just need her here to —"

But Juhi's fist connects with Prodigal's jaw before she can finish speaking.

quote:

"You bring me here after what you did to my sister?" Juhi screams. "Do you know how many times I've dreamed of killing you?!"

You watch as Juhi lunges for Prodigal's throat, still trying to wrap your head around the fact that Sonja even has a sister.

But as Juhi grabs Prodigal, you figure you should decide whether you need to step in.

1. Restrain Juhi. I don't have any time to waste.

2. Let Juhi get in a few good shots before stopping her.

3. Let Juhi go to town.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38%

Lawless: 70% Lawful: 30%

Offensive: 61% Defensive: 39%

Soloist: 50% Team Player: 50%

Unleash: 55% Control: 45%

Feared: 50% Revered: 50%

Revenge: 66% Ideals: 34%

Freedom: 46% Security: 54%

More Stats

Power: 30

Health: 65

Money: 19,500

Legend: 0

Your Relationships

Grandma: 70%

Jenny: 50%

The Victons: 5%

Prodigal: 19%

The American Protectorate: 5%

Black Magic: 50%

Lucky: 50%

World Statistic

Anti-Powered Sentiment: 100%

Unknown Stat: -1

Unknown Stat: 2

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Let Juhi go to town.

Prodigal is a mass-loving-murderer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Let Juhi go to town.

Prodigal is a mass-loving-murderer.

This is the best idea! I wonder how often we can try to kill/betray Prodigal unsuccessfully before the game kills us for not buying into its 'witty' and 'awesome' surprise ally?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You go girl!

Shame we can't join her.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sit back and watch the catfight :munch:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ugh Sonya died in this timeline? Shame, she was kinda cool.

Fight, fight, fight!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nihilarian posted:

Shame we can't join her.

This would require our protagonist to do something instead of an NPC, and so is verboten.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

Ugh Sonya died in this timeline? Shame, she was kinda cool.

Fight, fight, fight!

Hang on. So because Sonja is dead her character has been replaced with an exact replica? And the book points this fact out in its first sentence about the new-old character?

I gotta admit, that takes balls.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Fight. It's not gonna matter either way what we do.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The only way someone could follow us is if they enter the toy store and touch the only thing that's been touched!

FOOLPROOF.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

no more filler just get straight to the point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

The only way someone could follow us is if they enter the toy store and touch the only thing that's been touched!

FOOLPROOF.

Telelocks are as complicated as the plot demands them to be. We managed to activate one using our babby energy powers in the first book, but other characters insist those who can do that are special snowflakes. So yeah, someone will probably use it when it's suitably dramatic.

And the author mentioned it a few updates back, but what's a kickshield? Prodigal uses them and we're expected to know what they are.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Who's Sonja again?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering that.

Regardless, let her take all the shots she wants.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Who's Sonja again?

She was the reporter lady who has stealth powers and the ability to create bright flashes. Super useful for telescopic photography, apparently.
She also single-handedly duped the entire populace into recognizing us as hero of the year after the author made us fail time and time again. Prodigal then gave us a choice whether to save Sparrow (our side-kick) or Sonja and apparently we chose Sparrow for some retarded reason in this timeline. Sparrow turned out to be Prodigal so Sonja, canonically, died for nothing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The canon path is the one where we're as useless and stupid as possible? Shocking.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Prodigal has a relationship stat for some reason. Sonjuhi does not. Building our stats takes precedence (lest we die from turkey assassin again somehow) so calm your tits, reporter lady.

Night10194 posted:

This is the best idea! I wonder how often we can try to kill/betray Prodigal unsuccessfully before the game kills us for not buying into its 'witty' and 'awesome' surprise ally?

None, I believe. Have you seen her walls? I bet she even Photoshopped out Lucky from our space camp photo set.

Besides, if you haven't figured it out now, this is Prodigal's story. It always was.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Deviations posted:

Besides, if you haven't figured it out now, this is Prodigal's story. It always was.

That's basically the problem we've all been harping on, yes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

But as Juhi grabs Prodigal, you figure you should decide whether you need to step in.

1. Restrain Juhi. I don't have any time to waste.

2. Let Juhi get in a few good shots before stopping her.

3. Let Juhi go to town.

quote:

+5 Freedom / -5 Security
-1 Relationship with Prodigal

Juhi kicks Prodigal in the stomach, then knees her in the chin — it looks like she has definitely had some self defense training. Once Prodigal is on the floor, Juhi jumps on top of her.

"I'm of no use to anyone dead," Prodigal chokes out between Juhi's strikes.

As much as you hate to admit it, Prodigal is right. You rush forward and peel Juhi off of Prodigal, restraining both arms behind her back.

"I will decimate you, you murderous cow!" Juhi screams, flailing in your arms. "I don't know how you're still alive, but I will make you die a thousand deaths!"

JWKS's Note: I thought I'd mis-clicked and picked a different option than "Let Juhi go to town", so I restarted the game and came back to this passage, making doubly-sure to click the "Let Juhi go to town" button this time round. Yup, this is indeed the result.

quote:

Juhi is lost in full-on rage mode. And who can blame her, since this must have been the lair where Prodigal killed Sonja.

"That's all well and good," Prodigal coughs, "but notice how I let Kyle here untie you? And how I didn't fight back just now? I'm not going to hurt you. I need your help."

"You need my help? You need my help?!" Juhi screams. "I will end you!"

"I admit, it's an unlikely scenario," Prodigal tries. "But there was no one else to call on with such short notice. We need your unique skill set."

"Hey crazyface," you cut in. "Did you ever think kidnapping and restraining Juhi might not have been the best way to 'call on' her?"

"Well, I don't…" Prodigal mutters, shrugging. "Old habits?"

quote:

"And what the slugger are you doing here with her?" Juhi says, twisting to face you. "Don't you think for a second I forgive your part in this."

Slugger, that one stings. If you were wondering why you haven't heard from Sonja's sister since she died, you just got your reason.

"I understand that you're upset," you say. "But I swear I'm here for a very good reason."

"Yes, little lamb, and if you simmer down you'll see I've got quite the journalistic opportunity for you," Prodigal cuts in. "For it seems that we three musketeers have at least one common goal right now: taking down The Meek movement and President Victon."

Hearing this, Juhi pauses.

"I know you've been doing some deep undercover reporting against The Meek movement," Prodigal adds. "You and your sister always had different ideas of what constituted journalistic integrity, didn't you?"

"Don't you ever talk to me about my sister, you witch," Juhi says, breaking free of your grasp. You move to stop her, but she just crosses her arms and looks from you to Prodigal.

"You had better explain yourselves. Quickly."

quote:

Ten Minutes Later

Prodigal has been walking Juhi through everything she has already told you. While Juhi hasn't exploded into another rage, she still looks very unsettled. You can't really blame her, because you are equally unsettled.

Being here in this place turns your stomach for more reasons than you care to count.

Your eyes have been wandering around Prodigal's base and you find that you're most creeped out by:

Those pictures of me lining the walls.

The video feeds to my old apartment, filming the new residents.

A spare Sparrow feather-suit hanging on the wall.

A Miss Artillery action figure.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Freedom: 51% Security: 49%

More Stats

Your Relationships

Prodigal: 18%

World Statistic

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 19, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So...we didn't even do the thing we chose to do? Oh, Prodigal-Senpai, we just can't stay angry at you. At least you notice us! Like with all the video feeds!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The nauseating sense that my free will means nothing, that reality is a skintight rubber wall forcing my actions into nothingness and my rebellions to remain in my head.

Also, that doll, I guess.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Two of your allies are discussing their motivations and planning a strategy for moving forward! But instead of adding your own input, how do you feel about the room's decor?"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Video Feeds

I like Juhi.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
So what happens if reporter lady from the first game is still alive? Is it her that shows up here, or do we still get her pallet swap?

Also, video feeds.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Two of your allies are discussing their motivations and planning a strategy for moving forward! But instead of adding your own input, how do you feel about the room's decor?"

But Bobbin! How else will readers realize that Prodigal is a kooky psycho? :downs:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The storytelling style of this one reminds me a lot of White Knight Chronicles, only worse. I didn't think I would ever type that sentence, but there it is.

Anyway, let's go with the pictures.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The fake choice is bothering me a fair bit

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Let me shift my gaze from the pictures of me, the video feeds of me, and the costume of my ex sidekick to slowly pan over the room anNNNNOOOHHHH JESUS gently caress WHAT IS WITH THAT ACTION FIGURE

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
As Batma entered the lair of Prodigal, he took the door on the left looked at the video feed.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Bird suit

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Who gives a poo poo. And we get it, Prodigal has a thing for us.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Your eyes have been wandering around Prodigal's base and you find that you're most creeped out by:

Those pictures of me lining the walls.

The video feeds to my old apartment, filming the new residents.

A spare Sparrow feather-suit hanging on the wall.

A Miss Artillery action figure.

quote:

Then your eyes settle on a cage in the corner and they nearly bulge out of your head, because sleeping inside is what looks like a pterodactyl-parrot dino-hybrid. The last time you might have seen a pterrot like that was in Trackr's apartment… could it possibly be the same one?

You begin to sort through the many reasons that keeping a dino-hybrid in a lair like this is insane, but you're interrupted as Juhi finally speaks.

"So why do you need me?" she asks flatly.

"Well, you see," Prodigal starts. "I've done some things in my past that might make a select few question the integrity of my word…."

Your eyes meet Juhi's and you actually seem to share a moment: that's an understatement. Ignoring this, Prodigal moves on:

"I need you to use your investigative Powers to take Batma through my memories and let him see for himself that I'm not lying about any of this."

"Wait, you can do that?" you ask, turning to Juhi.

quote:

"Yes," Juhi says, without followup.

No wonder both of these sisters became reporters: Sonja had a full range of photographic and tracking Powers, but it sounds like Juhi's Powers go even deeper than that.

"Who better to verify my story than someone who hates my guts, has no incentive to lie on my behalf, and who Batma is inclined to trust," Prodigal finishes.

Juhi turns to you and you sigh. She looks like entering Prodigal's mind is the last thing she'd ever want to do, and you don't disagree.

"I'm… ugh, look, I'm sorry I brought you here against your will," Prodigal says, gnashing her teeth like she's forcing every word through her lips. "But you're free to go whenever you please. Our time is short, so if you're not going to help…"

Juhi clenches her jaw, still looking undecided. You consider what Prodigal has just said — if you could really verify that Prodigal is telling the truth about Miss Artillery, that would be one less concern you have to worry about moving forward.

So you turn to Juhi and say:

"Please. I need to know if Prodigal is lying if I'm going to have any shot of saving my parents."

"If we find out Prodigal is lying, I'll kill her for you."

"I'd never dream of asking this of you under any other circumstances, but you're here already. And I need you."

"I know you don't know me, but Sonja believed in me."

"Screw everything else, just think of the anti-Meek reporting opportunity you might have here."

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Freedom: 51% Security: 49%

More Stats

Your Relationships

Prodigal: 18%

World Statistic

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
We've got the option to kill the monster, even though it won't happen.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Nope! Turns out the one truly interesting thing about the decor is a fifth object which I neglected to mention earlier. So what will you say to Sonja's clone sister to successfully convince her to go along with Prodigal's plan?"

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
If we find out she's lying, it'll be astounding, because she's so perfect in every* way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

This choice is a stat changer, but the one after it is fake.

Your dead sister trusted me, which is why she's dead, but what's important is that she trusted me.

• Locked thread