Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
For a dude who keeps getting knocked for his pass protection Scherff sure hasn't given up very many sacks the last couple years. He got beat once on a quick inside move earlier this year and that's about all I remember off the top of my head. Might wind up kicking inside because he's about an inch or so shy of an ideal LT though.

He could also absolutely tear up the combine. Dude is super athletic and strong (he played QB in high school!): http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24634158/video-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff-hang-cleans-443-pounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

football fuckerman posted:

Did you see that guy throw for 550 yards against Southeast Fuckerton State though....dude has got game

yeah what could possibly be gained from actually watching someone play football when determining how good they are at football

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Now that Jameis has done everything humanly possible to destroy his stock there isn't a QB in this draft who would get anything close to that kind of haul.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That isn't even what RD was talking about anyway. There are a lot of NFL fans who don't follow college football in the slightest but try to speak authoritatively (in a very often stupid way) about prospects based on a couple highlights, whatever scouting thing they've read, and whatever preconceived notion they may have of prospects of that general type (spread qb or whatever else). It happens here and elsewhere every year and can be tiresome if it's in regards to guys you've actually watched play a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Woah, a David Johnson apperance. Completely deserved too, but I didn't expect that at all given that UNI is having a meh year and is a I-AA school. I think he's better than several of the guys above him though. He's a big dude who is an absolute monster of an all purpose guy. Granted, it was the first game of the year and we're breaking in all new linebackers, but Iowa's defense has been pretty solid against the pass this year and he absolutely abused on wheel routes and stuff all game long. Seems to have pretty decent speed too. I've only seen him in a handful of games against Iowa and ISU, but he was impressive in all of them. If he tests as fast as he looks on the field he could rise in a big way, because the skills are definitely there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 15, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

commy gun posted:

Who're the projected hot QB prospects in 2016? Curious since the Skins will be taking one then.

Like Brett Hundley or Connor Cook or some poo poo probably. But two years out everyone thought that dudes like Andre Woodson or Jevan Snead were going to be first rounders so, ya know.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Amari Cooper and Todd Gurley are absolutely elite talents

Yeah but I dunno about spending a high pick on any running back, even though I really like Gurley. I like the tackle class a bunch too though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

That Washington lb is really good

He's ridiculous but he'd probably go too high for a team like that to pick him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Brady hadn't won a super bowl like immediately the reaction to all the poo poo he does would be so funny. Imagine how much people would have lost their poo poo if, like, Romo had taken that goat picture.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really see anything that makes him head and shoulders better that Mariota even leaving aside the off the field stuff. He forces a lot of balls into tight coverage. He got away with it last year because he was surrounded by more talent but now that his receivers aren't head and shoulders above everyone else and can go up and get some of the dumber throws a lot more of those are turning into picks. He's overrated athletically too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Winston definitely has the better arm, but Mariota is fine in that regard and I think he's a lot more polished. Granted the offense helps, but he doesn't stare guys down or force bad throws the same way Jameis does, and he's a better runner. It's definitely not a no brainer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He obviously played worse when his offensive line was falling apart because duh, but he still played well in those games and put up good numbers, especially considering the beating he was taking. And I think he can fit the ball into tight windows when he needs too, he just also doesn't try to force risky passes when he has other safer options. His highlights include a lot of receivers running wide open because that's the sort of play that generally leads to long TDs, but's true of most QBs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ZenVulgarity posted:

Winston makes impossible loving throws

Yeah but this year he also makes a lot of really stupid ones. He was a big part of the reason they needed the big come back in the second half, he was awful in the first.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

African AIDS cum posted:

It has improved a bit but is still pretty bad.

how is it bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the Jags are legitimately worse than the Raiders so that doesn't seem all that bad to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wandler20 posted:

Look at Winston's #'s in his freshman year vs. this year. When he was a freshman he had 3 reliable veteran WR's to throw to and O'leary. This year he's only had Greene and O'leary and a bunch of freshman. Jimbo's offense is based on timing and route trees where receivers have to be in the right places and make the right route decision based on coverage. The young guys often struggle with this and it caused a lot of INT's for Jameis this year. He doesn't just sit back there and wait for his receiver to run wide open down the middle of the field like Mariota.

Well also last year he could (and did) just lob it up and be reasonable certain his guy could come down with it. This year he couldn't, and lot of dumb throws that would have been saved by Benjamin last year wound up getting picked.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is probably not a coincidence that the three most productive running backs in the country all got to play against Big Ten schedules. Big Ten backs have also tended to underacheive relative to their college production. This is especially true of Wisconsin backs, but Gordon also has a way different skill set than any of the previous Wisconsin backs since they became a Unstoppable Running Back Machine so I dunno.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gary Nova was legit like the third best QB in the Big Ten.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

johnfw50 posted:

I'm pretty sure the three best QBs in the Big Ten all play for Ohio State.

Well, probably, but of the ones who actually played a significant number of games this year Nova was the third best after Barrett and Cook.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheGreyGhost posted:

I think 3rd best is a bit of an exaggeration. Barrett and Cook were worlds better. I think you could make an argument for Tommy Armstrong too. And frankly, in a world where he isn't being chased down like a gazelle in the wild every play, Hackenberg. He's like ever so slightly better than like Rudock or Stave or whoever that unremarkable Maryland dude was. Nova just strikes me as like, Anthony Morrelli where he can singlehandedly lose you a game at random intervals but otherwise is decidedly average otherwise.

I'm not sure where you took that as praise for Nova and not an insult to the Big Ten. He was third in basically every meaningful passing statistic and it's not like he was QBig a loaded team. It's a super lovely conference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
go away mcmagic

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All players who went to the same college are exactly the same. Melvin Gordon and Ron Dayne are literally identical. There are no differences between then physically or as players at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

i refuse to believe the titans drafting winston

Big cannon armed dudes with iffy accuracy and decision making are kinda Wisenhunt's jam.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Don't be a oval office. I'm saying that Wisconsin has a good running scheme that can make their RBs look better than they are which makes player assessment more difficult. Also, spending a first round pick on any RB that isn't literally Adrian Peterson is dumb. Melvin Gordon is not Adrian Peterson.

Sure but just going "oh he went to Wisconsin he must stink" without putting more thought into it is dumb. It's true that Wisconsin's offensive line helped Gordon a lot, but he also has physical attributes (excellent top end speed and agility) that seperate him from the typical plodding Wisconsin back who just gets behind their huge line and grinds out yards.

Also no need to be rude!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

I would rather have Halliday in the 7th

Guys drafted in the seventh round are drafted that late because they are almost always terrible, this is a very bad way to address a glaring QB need!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tbf if there's any school that could lay claim to cloning its roster year in and year out it's Wisconsin. Although the Brooks Bollinger 8.0 model is kind of wonky.

Okay but all you need to do is watch Gordon for like 12 seconds to realize that the only thing he has in common with PJ Hill is the colors on his jersey.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

I'm super glad my team didn't blow its first Top 5 pick since the mid-90s on a linebacker who washed out in 2 years

gently caress Aaron Curry and super gently caress Tim Ruskell

That's hard to pin on Ruskell given that literally everyone had him rated super high and as the surest thing in the draft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

If Cooper isn't drafted first smdh

Ahahaha Bama fans

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ozu posted:

Does the fact that Mariota hasn't had to make a single progression read or that he's taken 99% of his career snap from the shotgun give anyone pause? He's probably going to be a huge project.

The first one is bullshit. The shotgun thing is kind of valid I guess, but that's the direction football is moving anyway.

The NFL offeneses are rapidly implementing lots of spread and college-style concepts, and Oregon's offense in particular has been pretty influential. It's not the bogeyman it used to be.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 22, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shrimpy posted:

If Winston does bust, at what point do FSU quarterbacks become undraftable in early rounds?

It'd be a pretty amazing cautionary tale right after Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel all two years apart.

Both of those guys were significant worse in college and got overdrafted based on physical ability by QB desperate teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

Maxx Williams is coming out, you can pretty much put him in as the only worthwhile TE this year.

Funchess is gonna play tight end in the pros.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Parmesan Basil posted:

Next you're going to tell me she was a gold digger and she deserved it

man if we just agree that you are super elightened can you stop responding to obvious joke posts and just move the gently caress on instead of posting the same thing over and over

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WHOOPS posted:

Doesn't the Big Ten have some weird academics standards? Like, not for the student athletes, obviously, but to be a member school?

They wanted everyone to be in the AAU, but then let in Nebraska who isn't so it's not a huge deal. It's a kind of silly distinction anyway.

Outside of Northwestern and I guess maybe Michigan they're all just average to slightly above average state schools that are pretty easy to get into. Which is fine. They just like to harp on the academics a lot now because they suck at football and lose to SEC schools all the time.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In the grand scheme of things Nebraska isn't really that far below the standards of most Big Ten schools. They're not in the AAU mostly because they don't spend enough on research, but you can chalk a lot of that up to the med school being part of a different campus and the AAU not counting money that goes towards ag research (which is understandably a big focus at Nebraska because it is the University of loving Nebraska)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I think the implication is that he's willing to risk big because he knows if it blows up and he gets fired he can just go make a billion dollars coaching USC or whatever, but it's not worded especially well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Young has a decent case for best QB ever (at least in terms of peak value) and several other Niners backups from that era went elsewhere (mostly Kansas City) to become starters who were at least as good as the poo poo the Pats have spread all over the league. Doesn't really seem all that close unless Jimmy Gralappalo is about to roll off a bunch of MVP years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Row posted:

Can anyone rival when the Packers had Brett Favre, Mark Brunell, Ty Detmer and Kurt Warner on their team at the same time? They then replaced those guys with Aaron Brooks and Matt Hasselbeck yeesh.

Warner was never really on the roster though, he got cut in camp in favor of Detmer. Favre did have an inordinate number of backups go on to be really good QBs though. Packers are pretty dang good at scouting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was actually better than Joe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WHOOPS posted:

There was also a "can't beat Dallas" narrative following him around until the '94 NFC Championship.

Should have traded him for Jake Plummer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Simplex posted:

Philadelphia during the McNabb years had an absolute plethora of back-up quarterbacks who went out and poo poo up the rest of the NFL

And even McNabb went out and poo poo up two other NFL teams at the end. Andy Reid is a quarterback wizard. Everyone please remember this when Aaron Murray gets to start a couple games and looks competent. Do not trade your second rounders for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reid could actually probably do a decent job hiding Pyror for a few weeks.

• Locked thread