Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I thought the whole ChaosArgate gives too much advice thing was silly earlier, but seriously telling Faerie Fortune how to completely avoid almost all the damage the boss does within like 5 seconds of entering the boss battle? It would have been much harder without knowing that the shield made you immune to the bosses rolling.

But yay on beating the boss on the first try anyway, although it'd be cool to know why you immediately thought of throwing the bomb into the bosses mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm kind of glad he did, because I never knew you could do that.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm going to guess it was "It's a Zelda boss, gotta use the dungeon item somehow, lets just throw a bomb at it and see what happens"

Also you've seen how often she uses the shield, it really would have taken 20 tries without that hint. :v:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Honestly, when the LP started, I was a little irked about ChaosArgate being a little trigger happy with explaining the game, but not so much anymore. This LP is entertaining not because we're seeing someone figure out the game, but more that we're seeing their reaction to all the little things this game has to offer.

So long as we're not encountering a boss and given a dissertation on it's attacks and weaknesses before the battle even starts, I'd say let it slide.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I just thought you should know that "Hi, friend!" is now my text tone. I'm a little weird, sorry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zeron posted:

But yay on beating the boss on the first try anyway, although it'd be cool to know why you immediately thought of throwing the bomb into the bosses mouth.
Dodongo dislikes smoke.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Have you tinkered with your analog stick settings yet? That should solve your aiming difficulties (slingshot, aligning yourself for jumps, snaking around when you have to walk, etc). The actual N64 stick wasn't very sensitive and was fairly springy.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Faerie Fortune posted:

Not even close, I'm from the lake district! My accent is hard to place though because despite being born and raised here and living here my entire life, my accent is completely different to the local one! It comes out a little more if I'm talking to my sister or parents, my accent gets more "northern", I talk a little faster and I use way more of my natural Cumbrian dialect. When I'm talking to not-local people though, I tend to talk more slowly and with a more generic English dialect because holy poo poo cumbrian dialects can be incomprehensible sometimes.

This has been your daily Fae fact!

It still shines through for those of us in the know. even though I'm from just a little south of you(though my brothers GF is from just south of Carlisle) its still immensely comforting to hear an almost local voice in LP. Though I'll have to say your 'generic accent' is a bit more Outer Mancunian than true generic.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 15, 2014

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zeron posted:

Because that's how dodongos work in literally every zelda game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because that's how dodongos work in literally every zelda game.

Remember, she's only played Link to the Past, last I checked. Dodongos weren't in that game. From what I recall, Fae remembered that dungeon items tend to be key to beating bosses, so she took what she assumed was the opportunity to strike.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ChaosArgate posted:

Remember, she's only played Link to the Past, last I checked. Dodongos weren't in that game. From what I recall, Fae remembered that dungeon items tend to be key to beating bosses, so she took what she assumed was the opportunity to strike.

First of all, DODONGO DISLIKE SMOKE, second of all LTTP had the Helmasaur King which was basically the King Dodongo with a fancy hat and you had to jam bombs up his face, too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

YggiDee posted:

First of all, DODONGO DISLIKE SMOKE, second of all LTTP had the Helmasaur King which was basically the King Dodongo with a fancy hat and you had to jam bombs up his face, too.

Holy poo poo you can bomb him??? I always used the hammer!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I dunno man, the room above gives you a full bag of bombs, there's bomb flowers everywhere, and the giant invincible lizard opens his mouth wider than a barn door. Figuring out "throw bombs in mouth" isn't particularly hard to figure out on your own, and King Dodongo is not a particularly hard boss.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Random thought here, but you know how the giant skull just inside the dungeon is supposed to be a giant dead dodongo? How about the ribcage above it?

Also I thought I said it earlier but apparently not: The gorons weren't concerned about dodongos being in the dodongo's cavern. Which they don't actually call the dodongo's cavern, but a "mine". They're concerned with how many just suddenly showed up when THIEF FROM THE DESERT came by. They probably had to deal with a few from time to time, just not that many.

Nihilarian posted:

Dodongo dislikes smoke.

YggiDee posted:

I already pointed out earlier in the thread why putting bombs in a dodongo's mouth is not what the old man means by "dodongo dislikes smoke". It's literal, guys. It's not a funny mistranslation or engrish or even a bad hint.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You guys are getting really worked up about a game where a fairy boy goes off on an adventure away from his secluded home and saves the world.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ChaosArgate posted:

The hammer's much faster if I remember right. With bombs you have to wait for them to explode, and he keeps moving around in random directions so unless you're really lucky a lot of your bombs will explode on nothing. With the hammer you can just run up and spam the button.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Bombs have range, though. With the hammer, you have to get so close that either you'll run into it, or it'll run into you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cheez posted:

I already pointed out earlier in the thread why putting bombs in a dodongo's mouth is not what the old man means by "dodongo dislikes smoke". It's literal, guys. It's not a funny mistranslation or engrish or even a bad hint.
You take advantage of dodongos dislike of smoke by shoving bombs in his face.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

You take advantage of dodongos dislike of smoke by shoving bombs in his face.
I don't even know if you're joking or not.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was volunteering at the food bank* today and I'd greet everyone I could with a cheery "Hi, friend!"

It loses something when delivered by a slightly nasal man, but it definitely perked up a number of those who heard it.

*If you're not aware of what that is, they distribute government food to poor people.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

davidspackage posted:

I can't really draw for poo poo, but here's what I was thinking when Fae got Din's Fire.

That is fantastic!

Hooray, Fae, on beating the boss in one go! And here I changed my guess of 3 attempts to 9.

As for Chaos giving the hint about the shield, I'm OK with it. It was still challenging for Fae even with the knowledge.

Watching the video just made me realize that the room with the blade traps is the first encounter with them in this game. That is some poor game design - throwing a new obstacle at people in a way that they can't really see it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

My intent with the hint with the shield was to remind her that her shield can block any damage it comes into contact with and also remind her that she has a shield she can use.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

ChaosArgate posted:

My intent with the hint with the shield was to remind her that her shield can block any damage it comes into contact with and also remind her that she has a shield she can use.

She hardly ever uses that shield I've noticed. I can't remember, in the exploration video...did she use it for the volcano?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Silegna posted:

She hardly ever uses that shield I've noticed. I can't remember, in the exploration video...did she use it for the volcano?

Once. Very briefly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, I tried to remind her about the shield but she tanked through the mountain pass like a champ. Kid-me never would've been brave enough to just book it through there like that, I always waited under the shield until all the rocks stopped.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yay! I totally called it. Yay for believing in you.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

She's getting better about using her shield, slowly but surely :3: Keep on keepin' on, Fae!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Her amount of shield usage is the proper and manly amount, you cowards. :black101:

Although hopefully she picks up on the combat enough to kill stuff dead fast enough to get away with that, it'd certainly be more interesting than watching her hide behind a shield waiting for every enemy.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Bit late on this one...oh well.
Re: Episode 8

Fae, how could you? First you murder the Dodongo, then talk smack about his new hobby.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cheez posted:

Also I thought I said it earlier but apparently not: The gorons weren't concerned about dodongos being in the dodongo's cavern. Which they don't actually call the dodongo's cavern, but a "mine".

And they call it a mine. A mine! </gimli>

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, pretty sure the hammer was the right way to do that one.

That said, I mostly remember that dungeon for having that bullshit room that ate one of your keys, preventing you from finishing it until the ice dungeon, where you got an extra key or something.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

Honestly, when the LP started, I was a little irked about ChaosArgate being a little trigger happy with explaining the game, but not so much anymore. This LP is entertaining not because we're seeing someone figure out the game, but more that we're seeing their reaction to all the little things this game has to offer.

Honestly, I'm tired of people bringing it up so I'm going to be serious for a second here. ChaosArgate will likely not be changing the amount of hints/help he gives me. During the first video, yes I was guided a lot but it was the first time he'd been a copilot for me and neither of us knew how much help I'd need. It took a couple of episodes but he's really gotten a feel for what I'll likely need pointed out for me and for me the amount of hints he's been giving me is absolutely perfect. It might be too much for the thread but the thread isn't the one playing the game!

I didn't want to bring this up in the thread because I thought it was irrelevant but I legitimately have ADHD. I'm not good at noticing little details, I tend to focus on one thing and one alone and I kinda miss everything else around it because I'm too busy concentrating on that one thing. Again, ChaosArgate is a champ and picked up on those quirks incredibly quickly and, knowing that I absolutely cannot help it even if I try, he's learned when to tell when I'm hyperfocusing on a thing and need little details pointed out to me. Some things might seem obvious to you guys who have all played the game to death but me, not so much, and it gets even harder when you have the attention span of a five year old.

99% of the time, if ChaosArgate points out a thing to me that seems like it should be obvious, its because he's picked up on the fact that I'm focusing on something else and might miss it. That's literally it. That's the whole reason it seems like he's giving me too much help. Can we please stop bringing it up now? I really didn't want to have to talk about my mental disabilities in the thread :smith:

Zeron posted:

That would be my Zelda Instinct at work! He's a big guy who opens his mouth when you first meet him, there's bombs everywhere, you just got a bomb bag of your own...it doesn't take much to add 2+2 and get bomb!

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm sorry I'm so bad at using the shield, thread :saddowns: I get really focused on combat and kinda forget its there, and the Hylian shield is...well, I don't actually like it much. Its big and unwieldy and Link can't use it properly, and in my mind that translates as "this will not work". I know that it will but its hard to fight that first instinct of "this shield is too big for you therefore you cannot use it" I'll keep trying though!

Neurion posted:

She's getting better about using her shield, slowly but surely :3: Keep on keepin' on, Fae!

Thank you, friend! :kimchi:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

IPvSH6T posted:

That said, I mostly remember that dungeon for having that bullshit room that ate one of your keys, preventing you from finishing it until the ice dungeon, where you got an extra key or something.
I don't know anything like that, but I know of rooms that are dead ends that just give you a key to replace the one you lost...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Redacted, I'm a dumb at night it seems

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 15, 2014

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh look, more spoilers for the BLIND lp thread.

Pretty sure they're not talking about OoT dude

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yep, pretty sure they're talking about LTtP, which I have played! Everything is cool!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's not absolutely necessary, but now that you've left lavaland, maybe you want to invest in getting a replacement Deku Shield, if you feel more comfortable with using that one?

This message was sponsored by the Kokiri Forest Shop. Kokiri Forest Shop. For all your Forest needs!

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 15, 2014

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I have to admit, I kind of feel bad for King Dodongo and his kin. I mean, I know that Ganondorf summoned or otherwise lured the hordes of dodongos (or is dodongo also plural?) to the dungeon, but they don't come across as the unnatural evil spawn of a curse that Gohma does. (The Gorons just think it's weird there's so many of them, not that they exist at all.)

King Dodongo just feels like this big, animalistic, proto-dragon, lizardy-thing. Like a moose lost in a residential district, he doesn't know any better. He just trucks along doing his thing, reacting how any lizard would do when a strange creature drops into his new lair, breathe fire on it of course. You've got to deal with King Dodongo, but it's not like a victory over some force of evil, just a beast in the wrong place.

Incidentally, I kind of feel like the way Dodongo work in this Zelda game is intended to explain the reason they're so vulnerable to bombs. In the original Zelda game, Dodongo hates smoke, end of story. That said, it's not like you usually need a reason to think a bomb in a creature's face will kill it.

In Ocarina, they come across as sort of fire breathing dinosaurs, kind of like primitive dragons. Their bellies are full of fire, and however that works is so volatile that they explode when killed. Naturally, stuffing a bomb in the mouth of that would have a devastatingly eruptive effect. I keep thinking of the Swamp Dragons from Terry Pratchett's Discworld, which are small fire-breathing reptiles that tend to die of internal explosions because their biological systems are like alchemist's lab with modular organ tubes that re-arrange themselves as needed to mix chemicals, and ignite them, and hopefully send the fire in the right direction.

Again, maybe I'm over-thinking things. You don't need much reason to expect a monster will die when it swallows primed bombs.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 15, 2014

Leveling
Oct 30, 2012

IPvSH6T posted:

In ALttP, you can't bring keys to another dungeon, you must be misremembering.

Drakli posted:

Again, maybe I'm over-thinking things. You don't need much reason to expect a monster will die when it swallows primed bombs.
Except King Dodongo wasn't killed by bombs, the only way to hurt him is to hit his head with the sword.
But then you have to wonder why regular dodongos' weak point is their tails.
So yeah, over-thinking. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I still don't understand how the cavern is "overrun with Dodongos" and yet there's what, four, all in one room?

I mean yeah there's baby ones but surely they can't be any threat to Gorons.

• Locked thread