Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

_______ is the GM of the Los Angeles Dodgers

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

there's like no way that Matheny gets fired because he's "good in the clubhouse" right?

e: not to say that I'm downplaying that factor, because I genuinely believe its a large part of being a good manager

I assume he will not be fired because his team has been in the LCS every year he has managed.

I'm cool with not bringing in Rosenthal but because I don't trust Rosenthal, not for the dumbass reason he gave. Using a guy who hasn't pitched in like a month instead was mindblowigly stupid though. As was leaving him out there to get shelled when it became obvious almost immediately that he couldn't control his fastball and wasn't getting any movement on his secondary stuff.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rosenthal's command issues started popping up pretty early from my recollection, but Matheny definitely didn't help by pitching him into the dirt all year long. I'm not feeling great about him next year either, and they definitely need to improve the bullpen depth. Thankfully that's generally one of the easiest things to do and they've been consistently excellent at it. I'm sure they'll somehow find some other 21 year old who throws 100 or something to plug in there.

I know the Cards have lots of young outfield depth but I don't get the hurry to trade Jay unless they can get someone to overpay by a ton. He's a good player, and Grichuk/Taveras didn't exactly light the world on fire. It's obviously waaaaay too early to give up on either, but Jay seems like a good guy to have around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Qwertyiop25 posted:

I am surprised the Cardinals have stuck with Matheny for so long. I know he's been popular with the average fan but it seems like he's been clashing with the front office for a while now.

NLCS, World Series, NLCS is hard to fire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Holliday is slowing down, but Taveras has decent range, I thought? They were planning on making him a CF before they traded for Grichuk. That would have been bad, but he should be good enough in right that you don't need a super rangey guy in center just to cover for him. I think you can probably get by with a Holliday-Jay-Taveras/Grichuk outfield. I like Bourjos but he doesn't hit well enough to justify playing every day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There was a time probably 15 years ago when an ump thought Glenallen Hill was taking too long outside the box, so he told the pitcher to bring it. Hill frantically ran into the box and slapped the pitch for a single. I wish I could find video of it.

There is a possibly apocryphal story about Bo Jackson stepping out thinking he had called time out but everyone else missed it so he had to jump back in the box really fast and promptly hit a homer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even though it is the easiest thing in the dang world to figure out. Let him to pitch to one good left handed dude a game. That's it.

Teach Holliday to play first base, it can't be that hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scob posted:

I truely believe Holliday would be a disaster at first base.

I dunno, he was mobile enough to be a good outfielder at one point and it's the easiest place to play. And if he is whatever it's first base.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

Holliday to 1st is such an obviously smart move that I've gotta figure he's incapable of playing there or it would've happened by now.

I just assume Matheny has never thought to try it or doesn't want to get Holliday out of his comfort zone or something goofy like that.

I mean he might suck at it but how bad could it really be?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

It's usually where you put a good-hitting, but defensively questionable, position player.

Like Matt Holliday

quote:

Or do you platoon Holliday and Adams?

yes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Harper thing was really dumb but Matt Williams did a good job overall and got way better as the year went on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pujols isn't a Palmeiro like joke but he dh'd quite a bit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's really good but the lovely defensive metrics think he's bad.

I think he's better than his metrics but watching him quite a bit I think he has also fallen off defensively from his rookie year. Definitely not below average, but I don't think he's in the discussion for best defensive center fielder in baseball anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If lucroy doesn't get the glove I will be so cranky.

It'll be Yadi and it's gonna be funny when everyone gets mad about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lucroy was a better hitter, nearly as good a catcher, and played nearly every day.

Irrelavant, point against Lucroy, pretty good point for Lucroy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The best defensive catcher possibly ever winning the award in a season where he missed a few games will be what finally proves the Gold Glove awards are a sham.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inspector_666 posted:

loving hell this is the website tribute.wmv came from.

Those jokes were actually, like, funny though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Just trading him destroyed the best team in baseball so I don't see why you wouldn't want him on your team.

mentholmoose posted:

There's also a bit about Rickey at the bottom:

That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tony Phillips posted:

I'm going all in.

See this is how you make jokes about a tragedy

• Locked thread