Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Is it that expensive and time consuming to make that stuff adjustable? I don't have a very big TV, and I have trouble reading the the UI and any writing in probably 75% of the games I play. Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV and V, Sleeping Dogs, and a lot of other games are almost unreadable to me. I straight up cannot read anything in Dragon Age: Origins. That game is literally unplayable for me. What is the point of all these tiny fonts? Why? Developers are basically telling people with poor eyesight or small TVs to gently caress off. Every internet browser, operating system, eReader, etc. has adjustable font. But not games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It can be, depending on how it was coded. Most games are developed with very specific UI setups in mind, which multiple element/text sizes could therefore cause problems on (in terms of overall UI orientation, readability, etc.). It's not impossible to develop, but, to a profit-motivated company, it's a question of how much extra revenue it will generate for them to do so.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
There are practical reasons as well:

Web pages, e-books, word processors, etc. can scroll, meaning that if the contents are too large to display on screen, they just spill. Game UIs are generally designed to fit completely on screen and not scroll.

Windows applications are generally designed to be usable when scaled to small sizes and space-consuming elements are described in pixel sizes instead of screen proportions, which means they have a ton of space available when resized to full-screen, and that space can be used to enlarge fonts. Game UIs target relatively fixed display space.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
gently caress that, but give all HUDs an opacity slider instead, so I can reduce the image retention on my plasma displays. The HUD of the recent PS4 release of Minecraft was built this way and it's awesome. If Turok on the N64 can include this feature there's no excuse for its omission.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Because it's spending money on video game features for people who don't spend a lot of money playing video games. Big TVs are cheap enough and prevalent enough that the numbers don't add up and unless you can spin an accessibility angle that results in feelgood free publicity you usually can't justify it. If you wanted things to change you could put together a petition or something saying that you would buy DLC that would add a UI scale.

You could also try running your games in a lower resolution. If the fonts are too small to read at your current settings, the difference in resolution probably won't be visible and you can turn on nicer post processing effects.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chaosbreather posted:

Because it's spending money on video game features for people who don't spend a lot of money playing video games. Big TVs are cheap enough and prevalent enough that the numbers don't add up and unless you can spin an accessibility angle that results in feelgood free publicity you usually can't justify it. If you wanted things to change you could put together a petition or something saying that you would buy DLC that would add a UI scale.

You could also try running your games in a lower resolution. If the fonts are too small to read at your current settings, the difference in resolution probably won't be visible and you can turn on nicer post processing effects.

Its also a massive issue for people with 4k screens.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Byolante posted:

Its also a massive issue for people with 4k screens.

But not a massive issue for developers because no-one has 4k screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

They're just silly that way, y'know.

• Locked thread