Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Hey I've been trying to get this old game from 1997 to work called Marble Drop. It worked on windows xp and I am now trying to get it to work on windows 7 home professional. Using microsoft's virtual pc mode isn't an option without paying $90 bucks to upgrade to windows professional. I'm pretty sure some sort of virtualization is the answer to my problem but I was wondering if I could get some help figuring out which would be the best to use and how to do it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

johnfw50 posted:

Hey I've been trying to get this old game from 1997 to work called Marble Drop. It worked on windows xp and I am now trying to get it to work on windows 7 home professional. Using microsoft's virtual pc mode isn't an option without paying $90 bucks to upgrade to windows professional. I'm pretty sure some sort of virtualization is the answer to my problem but I was wondering if I could get some help figuring out which would be the best to use and how to do it. Thanks.

You need DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). It will allow you to run old DOS games, and do things like speed up / slow down the 'processor', in case the game is running according to a fixed timer and is going 1000fps.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I tried dosbox. It doesn't seem to be supported by dosbox. I've used dosbox before and Im not sure that's the problrm

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

johnfw50 posted:

If it is a windows 95/98 game: Uninstall it, right click the installer and set the compatibility mode to xp under properties. Install it, right click the shortcut and set it to xp compatibility mode if it isn't already. Then run it as an administrator. You may need a no CD patch as well if it has some weird old copy protection on it.

If it is a windows 3.1 game: You will need to obtain windows 3.1 and run that under dosbox. There are guides, and potentially ~filez~ that come in a complete package including high res drivers for running under dosbox.

You could also use a program called virtualbox without paying $90 if you have a copy of windows XP, 98, or 95. I have a virtualbox XP VM I use for playing castle of the winds and other 3.1 games.

• Locked thread