Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

colonel_korn posted:

ahaha oh god

This show is gonna fall the gently caress apart without source material, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to come around on all these big changes. The book characters and TV characters are so different now that I wouldn't mind at all if the TV show ends with Tyrion and Arya high-fiving atop a pile of their dead enemies while the books end with Jon Snow and Dany grimly entering a marriage of convenience to establish a new Targ dynasty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bran time travels to past, kills Jaime before he can push him off the tower.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

What was more annoying was that they forgot that bloodraven is only meant to have one eye. FFS.

I hadn't heard this. Does the change impact any of his lines in any way?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Dumb magic, fighting skeletons are dumb magic :skeltal:

I'm so sick of these dumb ice skeletons and fire-throwing elves. I wish the show would get back to what it's good at, ice zombies and fire-breathing dragons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Tell me specifically how Coldhands contributes to any plot other than "whoa that looks cool".

Yeah, I've come around to this way of thinking about a lot of the excised material. The show probably doesn't have enough time to bring up Coldhands or Lady Stoneheart or Victarion unless they're going to play pretty large roles. I'm sure people can just point to scenes they didn't like that they'd want tossed in favor of this stuff, but it's a time commitment that they'd have to make going forward, and without knowing what D&D know about where the plot is going, it's impossible to say whether, say, checking in with Lady Stoneheart every 3 episodes (hey, she's still killing Freys, what do you know) would be time well-spent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whoever decided that the Frey men all wear that dumb hat is a genius. Nothing gets across that they're a family of turds who no one likes better than that hat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The aristocrats!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tambaloneus posted:

So any chance they'll leave Quentyn's looney tunes ending in there untouched?

Where he flies away on a dragon? It would be a pretty big plot point to cut.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're gonna have Varys disappear for most of the season so he can surprise-murder Kevan. I'd much rather have him hanging around with Dany and Tyrion the whole season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Been a while since I thought about Game of Thrones, but now that the casting is sorted and the trailer is out I think it's finally safe to say that yeah, they're not doing the Greyjoys, Quentyn or Aegon and probably only as much Dorne as they need to. I'm quite excited to see how the story plays out with a tighter, more intimate cast to see how they streamline plots, it'll basically be a fundamental rewrite of the Ball of Beasts and that's quite exciting.

I remember feeling more disappointment earlier when hearing about good parts of the story that were being cut, like Stoneheart, but now that it's clear the rewrite is even more radical the next season promises to be a new version of the story rather than just a diminished version of the original. I'm especially interested in what Brienne and Pod get up to, considering they don't have much narrative drive at the moment. Maybe they'll get pulled into the Sansa and Littlefinger story?

Yeah, I think people are prematurely assuming that something getting cut from the show means it won't play a big role in the books.I don't see it that way. Aegon and Victarion are likely going to have a bunch of cool poo poo in the next book, but in the huge overarcing plot, they'll probably both die advancing the plot in ways that other characters could have done more efficiently.

I know I'm alone here, but I enjoyed the chapters following Quentyn through the wreckage in Dany's wake. Ultimately all he does is free the dragons, and they can do that on the show through some other means, but that doesn't mean his chapters were a waste.

The only Aegon and Victarion getting cut really tells you is that they won't be commanding the dragons in the big battle against the ice zombies in Book 7, but I doubt many people thought that was going to happen anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I always pictured Brienne as ripped, but where do you get a bodybuilder who can act? So they just hide Gwendoline Christie under a bunch of armor, and it works just fine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna end with a Matrix 3 ending. Jon Snow marries Dany and negotiates a truce with the ice zombies and "Peace is the real summer" with no climactic battle, and everyone's gonna be real pissy about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Mountain broke a weightlifting record described in Icelandic folklore:

quote:

“The record has been described in Icelandic Saga book,” said Kinnunen. “The legend of the Icelander Orm Storulfsson says that he walked three steps with this MONSTER WOODEN LOG which weighed over 650kg and was 10 m long! It took 50 mere mortals to help him placing it on his back! After he took his third step, his back broke under the enormous pressure and he was never the same after that!

“Thor carried the 650kg and 10m log for 5 steps. The result was unbelievable and puts Hafthor Julius Bjornsson’s name in Viking history books,” said Kinnunen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's not a whole lot of plot points that remained in the final drafts, so what's with the redacting?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I suppose what I really mean is, who did the redacting? Someone who actually knows that ending's legit?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

rawillkill posted:

Latest update

What a bombshell! Good call on redacting that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Skizzzer posted:

If that's true than why is she still planning on marrying Harry the Heir?

She's marrying both of them. Littlefinger is gonna control Westeros by marrying her off to everyone. She'll have a kid and everyone will go "Oh, finally my house is the house of the king" and peace will reign for a thousand years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Littlefinger will manipulate the tournament to get Harry onto Robin's guard and give Harry the opportunity to off him.

Obviously Robin could just seize up and croak one day from poison and no one would suspect he was murdered, but if Littlefinger/Alayne can put themselves in position catch Harry doing him in, they can completely control Harry under the threat of exposing him as a killer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He's going to reappear, right guys...right? :smith:

Yes, riding a dragon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

That theory about Dany growing up in Dorne because there can't be lemon trees in Braavos is ridiculous. There are a million places on Earth that have different climates and vegetation, despite being on the same latitude (and vice-versa).

I like that preview chapter, though there's absolutely zero way Littlefinger's plan works out.

What is his plan? Alayne marries Harry and then Robin dies and then he controls the Vale. Which is cool I guess. Is that it though?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

And then they reveal Alayne's identity as Sansa Stark, and the knights of the Vale march to take back Winterfell.

Doesn't her being married to Tyrion mean she can't reveal her identity?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghetto Prince posted:

I just realized I haven't read the books since 2011 and I completely forgot everything that happens in the last two. :psyduck:

Brienne wanders around
Cersei takes a walk
Dany goes insane from being so bored with her own plotline
Jon dies
Arya dies

I think that was it.

Read "Brienne wanders around" about 150 times to get the full book experience though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mischitary posted:

You forgot that Bran meets a tree shaman and thinks about making the moves on Meera with Hodor's mind controlled body.

Who's Bran?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Wow, Kennedy really lucked out being in the winning team, because she was definitely the weakest part of the team, and her runway look was just an absolute mess.

But good for Katya on that win, and Jayden's lip sync was probably the best we've seen this season so far, in a season full of lackluster lip syncs.

You know, maybe there are way too many third-string nobodies

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Sansa and Barristan plots sounds pretty dumb, but the Dorne stuff could be good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I like how they give Sansa character development that makes no sense ("she's a serious player now!") then just stick her with Joffrey 2.0.

Maybe the idea is that if she's actually learned to persuade people from LF, she has to prove it by outmaneuvering a psychopath like the one that tormented her for so long.

It still doesn't make any sense for LF to leave her. But if they're starting to set up toward the end game, this might just be the show leaving LF behind completely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

I wonder if there's a chance the writers can't figure out what to do with Brienne and Pod by the end of the season and kill them off?

She's gonna kill Stannis. Stannis doesn't have magic dragons or ice zombies or anything, so he's gotta die sometime before the big finish.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

this_is_hard posted:

Ramsay is going to try and rape/harm Sansa and Theon will save her by killing Ramsay :getin:

I could see something like: Sansa mucks up all of Ramsey's plans, he realizes she's ruined him, he decides to kill her for what she's done, Theon saves her by killing Ramsey.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Liked pretty much all of the first two episodes, except for that scene where Dany gets some justice done in the town square. The hissing and the equal number of ex-slaves/ex-masters all squaring off wearing their gang clothes, just super cartoonish.

Other than that though, hey good stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Tommen will make it :(

How'd he (and maybe Marcella?) turn out decent and Joffrey such a poo poo?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The show stepping on the gas this hard must mean there's just an absolute ton of poo poo left for Martin to write in his last "two" books.

He's gonna croak, and they're gonna hand it over to someone else who will competently crank out a passable ending in like a year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The kid who played Joffrey was also really good casting. I'm sure him and the guy who played Draco Malfoy are perfectly nice people, but you just look at them and immediately go "Oh you're a little poo poo aren't you?" I think it's in the haircuts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

In It For The Tank posted:

Once she smuggles Sansa out of Winterfell, Brienne will have an opportunity to confront Stannis but she won't because she has to protect Sansa.

I hope. Because gently caress Brienne if she tries to kill Stannis.

Tries to? He's as good as dead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell what GRRM was going for with Quentyn

because he's not done yet and Quentyn's gonna show up in the next book minus one arm but riding a dragon :black101:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Even though they're in Essos, is Barristan gonna have googly eyes?

That poo poo's creepy as hell. Did Martin get that from some old tradition or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Feels like I just walked into a Tolkien thread :psyduck:

Not nearly enough songs in this show, IMO. Should be at least one new one about some bullshit that happened 1,000 years ago per episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Poor Fat Walda :( She's gonna get pushed out a window or something.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why exactly are the show runners throwing away 3 seasons worth of character development for Sansa? What loving failed arthouse hacks.

Those spoilers better not be real.

I don't think the spoilers indicate that. She's not a broken character if she doesn't prevent every bad thing from happening to her.

If she gets rescued by Theon without loving with the Boltons, THEN they've hosed up, because she's supposed to have learned to recognize opportunities and bend people to her long-term plans.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

It's gonna be really weird when the show is in 100% uncharted territory. It'll either be insanely good or insanely bad, and probably the latter. Then GRRM will die.

They'll do some legit stupid stuff, no doubt about it, but people will have to cut them more slack because there's no automatic comparison point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo posted:

I look forward to people making GBS threads all over Dan and Dan only to find out that they're religiously following GRRM's outline.

It would be pretty funny if TWOW all of a sudden just bee-lines right to the big show changes (Sansa in the North, Jaime in Dorne).

• Locked thread