Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I have a Win7/Networking problem. I just moved to a new place and installed Internet (cable if it matters). On my desktop I receive at best 1.5mb down when I should be getting 10 . Switched to an Ubuntu USB boot disk to confirm it was a Windows issue. Wireless connects are also getting the full 10. The PC has been offline for over 6 months, so I'm updating all the drivers I can think of. Windows and my Network card are up to date. Installing new GPU drivers now.

Combo Modem/Router is a Motorola SBG6580
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
BIOS: P1.40
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6870 (BARTS XT)

Network Card:
Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Driver Version: 15.6.0.10
Driver Date: 25-Jul-2013

I can't actually log in to my modem/router to check any settings, but I think they said they can set it up as a "bridge" if I buy a separate router. I've tried Googling different variations of my problem, but haven't come up with anything relevant to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
First, I would get a proper router anyways, those combo modem/routers are usually trash. Check out the networking thread, it will have some good suggestions at any price range. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

When you say wireless gets full speed, are you testing with your phone, or the Windows box in question with a wireless adapter? That would be a good test, to see if it's Windows, or your network card + Windows.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
The PC with a Wireless USB adapter gets the slow speed. When I booted a USB linux distro; full speed. Mobile Devices and the Laptop the ISP technician plugged directly to the modem got full speed. So this is definitely a Windows issue.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
**Solved**

Roommate had a Belkin router. Called the ISP and had them set up the combo modem/router as a bridge. Works fine. Thanks Skandranon.

• Locked thread