Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chifley posted:

You mean like how there is the NFL and the CFL and they have minor rule differences instead of being the one sport?

What the gently caress is a CFL. Is that the ligament Victor Cruz tore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Cruz's hosed Ligament

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

football fuckerman posted:

What the gently caress is a CFL. Is that the ligament Victor Cruz tore

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

BlindSite posted:

At fullback (in the NRL) you have to catch a lot of high balls, quite often under a whole lot of pressure and or while getting hit. You also have to make tackles right at the try (goal) line. So he's got translateable skills. He'll struggle likely with learning offensive plays books and route trees and it'll be an adjustment for him to learn to catch more with his hands than his body.

I think the best role for him until he learned things like pass protection and all the other poo poo would be to have him play as a return man / gunner and give him similar poo poo to Darren Sproles, lots of short passes and screens etc where you can make use of his running in the open field. I doubt he'd ever make it as a between the tackles runner.

Well, they're all called "footy" anyway.

Defusing bombs (super high punts) is a huge part of a fullback's job in rugby league, but as a punt returner the fair catch negates the need for that. And those sorts of catches are very different to what he would be doing as a receiver. The other problem with changing over the the NFL is that in league the fullback these days often acts as a playmaker outside the half/standoff, and the only equivalent position in American football is a back in an option offense, which doesn't exist in the NFL.

The learning curve is going to be ridiculous for him, and age and time aren't on his side.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
The moments where Hayne seems to look impressive are more likely correlated with running against big lunks who are comparatively unathletic and have no idea how to contain

Dude is a tweener anyways - too tall to be a between the tackles runner, not big enough to be a power back, likely not fast or elusive enough to be a return guy. So that leaves ... slot receiver? Welp there's an uphill battle

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If he's in a position where money isn't an issue he should sign with one of the big agencies and have them put him up at a sports academy for a year and teach him how to play a position.

But if he's broke and can sucker the Raiders or Redskins into giving him some game checks then gently caress it. The road to hell is paved with elite athletes from other sports who couldn't do anything in the nfl though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Jets kept that rugby guy Hayden Smith on the practice squad for 2 years trying to convert his size and speed to a TE. Pretty sure he's back playing rugby.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Only guys I can think of that were successful are kick returners like Michael Bates, but he was a bronze medal winner.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

blue squares posted:

What's so impressive about this? I skipped to a random point and all I saw were other people tossing him the ball right at the (endzone?) and him running in because no one bothered to guard him.

There are multiple examples of him beating heaps of players to score and running the length of the field beating multiple players. There are examples of him getting between players, knocking players on their rear end, tackling huge. Watch the whole thing. The thing with Hayne is that he has so many translatable skills that there'd have to be something he can do. Hell he's a huge kicker of the ball so he could probably even be a punter. You can see a 40 metre angled drop goal in that highlight for instance. Kick returner is a good option too. He'll want to be a running back or a wide receiver and that will be the big challenge for him but there are special teams roles he can play while he works on it. If he gets into a team that wants to work on him and treats him like a project he will return the investment.

FizFashizzle posted:

If he's in a position where money isn't an issue he should sign with one of the big agencies and have them put him up at a sports academy for a year and teach him how to play a position.

But if he's broke and can sucker the Raiders or Redskins into giving him some game checks then gently caress it. The road to hell is paved with elite athletes from other sports who couldn't do anything in the nfl though.

He was one of the highest profile NRL players so money wouldn't be a problem for him. I still think he'll prefer to try to get in quick though because he's 26 and that's a year off his legacy which I think is the big reason he wants to do this. If he makes it work he becomes a fairly big deal as I don't think there's ever really been a good non special teams Australian NFL player.

MacDougall fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 15, 2014

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

MacDougall posted:

There are multiple examples of him beating heaps of players to score and running the length of the field beating multiple players. There are examples of him getting between players, knocking players on their rear end, tackling huge. Watch the whole thing. The thing with Hayne is that he has so many translatable skills that there'd have to be something he can do. Hell he's a huge kicker of the ball so he could probably even be a punter. You can see a 40 metre angled drop goal in that highlight for instance. Kick returner is a good option too. He'll want to be a running back or a wide receiver and that will be the big challenge for him but there are special teams roles he can play while he works on it. If he gets into a team that wants to work on him and treats him like a project he will return the investment.

he's beating dudes that suck

this whole post is just insanely optimistic

"Hell he could be a punter! Or a return guy! And a longterm RB/WR project!" :psyduck:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Homestar Runner posted:

"Hell he could be a punter! Or a return guy! And a longterm RB/WR project!" :psyduck:

Of course I am being optimistic. Rugby League is my sport and the NFL is a HUGE deal. I would be stoked beyond belief to see a homegrown league player make the big time. I am going to will it to happen.

Is it not possible for him to be used as a punter or returner and subbed in for random special teams plays?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MacDougall posted:

Of course I am being optimistic. Rugby League is my sport and the NFL is a HUGE deal. I would be stoked beyond belief to see a homegrown league player make the big time. I am going to will it to happen.

Is it not possible for him to be used as a punter or returner and subbed in for random special teams plays?

Punter can and has happened, though the example that comes immediately to mind (and was mentioned earlier), Sav Rocca, really didn't set the world on fire. He was fun to watch, though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Hayne is arguably the best runner of the ball in the best Rugby competition in the world. Would make a good running back. Good luck to him.

Here's some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItnEVoD0VQ

This is cool and all but the perspective on those on-field ads are loving with me something fierce.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

trigger warning plz

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Skip Bayless posted:

Tom Brady wouldn't throw a fake spike

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Abugadu posted:

trigger warning plz

You'll live.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

ohhh why

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engl...otball-dolphins

:confused:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

It's important that you win The Right Way

Oh Skip, you scamp

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Are the bills really trying to hire Mike Holmgren? Why?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/pegulas-looking-to-bring-on-a-consultant-to-help-with-bills-transition

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Homestar Runner posted:

Just loving let him have this god drat

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

This reeks of line drawing and agent planted hints.

Wolf's name gets tossed around every four years or so but the guy hasn't done anything in over a decade. Accorsi just helped the Panthers hire Gettleman, and I don't know if the Bills are really ready to detonate everything.

Holmgren's agent is just trying to increase the Raiders bid. Which will work because Oakland hasn't called anyone's bluff in 20 years.

edit*

quote:

It remains to be seen how the team performs, and what the future holds for second-year head coach Doug Marrone and Whaley, a young general manager. If the Bills do decide to make changes, Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, an increasingly hot coaching candidate who is a beloved former quarterback in Buffalo, could quickly emerge as a frontrunner.

lol of course the article involves the buffalo owners bringing in a buffalo legend to turn things around.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cowboys tackle Tyron Smith named NFC offensive player of the week.

First time in a decade a lineman has gotten that award. Brian Waters was the last for the Chiefs in 2004.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Kalli posted:

Cowboys tackle Tyron Smith named NFC offensive player of the week.

First time in a decade a lineman has gotten that award. Brian Waters was the last for the Chiefs in 2004.

OLinemen are really under appreciated

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Except here where they're overappreciated

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

TRIGGER WARNING

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Tell me about it as a Ravens fan I don't think I'll ever look at them the same way again after last season.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What's a trigger warning

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bengals sign Nico Johnson from the Chiefs practice squad. Any Chiefs fans want to tell me how much he sucks?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I ever say "If the Bengals stay healthy" again just slap me.

They are never healthy.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

Bengals sign Nico Johnson from the Chiefs practice squad. Any Chiefs fans want to tell me how much he sucks?

Not great in pass protection, but he's a good rusher. He still needs some work, but he'll be solid if used in the right situations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's a trigger warning

something that gets people way too mad

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Alouicious posted:

something that gets people way too mad

So Debate and Discourse is a giant trigger warning?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's a trigger warning

It's like when you visit a website and it tries to forward you to a malicious site but your browser catches it and gives you a warning

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

When does the league usually announce suspensions? Waiting to hear about Burfict.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Burfict basically did the same thing that Incognito did to Antonio Smith and they didn't suspend him for it (or even fine him IIRC) so I would imagine at worst it'll be a fine

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

When does the league usually announce suspensions? Waiting to hear about Burfict.
Speak of the devil

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 19 minutes ago
Fine but no suspension for Burfict as a result of ankle-twisting vs. Panthers

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 25 minutes ago
#Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict fined $25K for twisting ankles of Cam Newton, Greg Olson. Will be summoned to league office next infraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
He also tried to headshot Kelvin Benjamin.

• Locked thread