Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HiipFire posted:

hey guys
how are things

Pretty dull here, sounds like some HIGH OCTANE MAFIA ACTION is exactly what this day needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ok, I know the first day isn't 100% random but right now until we get some more discussion it might as well be. So I asked a RNG to pick out the scum and it came back with Anias, Blacknyte, and Carpet Shark. Buuut Anias's number came up 4 times in a row so I think it's trying to tell me something.

##vote Anias

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

The toaster post Dragonatrix made was pretty funny but usually the "joke phase" of these games is just stupid poo poo posting. I'd rather reach for a case and see how people react and get the game rolling than go through some sort of mandatory poo poo posting period.

Eh, gotta get the ball rolling somehow. When you're shooting blindly it doesn't really matter what your justification is, might as well goof around a little bit while you wait to gather material. I mean, I prefer that people keep it halfway relevant but when you get down to it trying to build a first-post case isn't really likely to contribute a lot more than random shitposting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You're just mad that Dragonatrix's jokevote got a reaction that we can analyze your "case" didn't.

I still support what you're trying to do but you don't need to be so serious about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Although for what it's worth (I.e. basically nothing, at this point) Kerro has been acting a little bit scummy.

##vote Kerro

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

of all the things i expected from this, a d1 scumslip in jokephase was not one of them

##vote kerro

I still don't expect it, but an early dogpile is a good way to fish for reactions :ssh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pez posted:

Why is everyone voting for Kerro? Fathis Munk is the one that's being suspicious, talking all murdery one minute and peaceful the next. Not to mention stumbling over his post syntax. Rock the vote!

##vote Fathis Munk

You're not looking so doughy yourself, friend. Openly fence-sitting and then trying to deflect suspicion from someone else when the pressure starts to build? I've got my eye on Fathis too but right now you're looking like a better suspect for Kerro's scumbuddy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

ok, i don't like this pez vote, because, firstly, pez was just playin' when voting fathis. secondly, though, for derailing a growing lynch against kerro to be scummy, kerro would have to be scum! in which case there's no reason to change the target from kerro.

this makes a bit more sense to me, dragon seems to be exaggerating what happened a bit by using that term. he could be scum jumping on a bandwagon, or they could both be scum, and he's getting in early and confidently on the vote to try to clear himself of suspicion.

Dragonatrix's "scum slip" doesn't seem to be any more serious than what you call Pez "just playin'". So I don't like either of blacknyte's votes.

I am also not liking Allen Wren, who declared he's not participating and then came zooming in the instant someone joke-accused him of being scum.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

Also, for gently caress's sake, Pope, chill a bit. You're going LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC and running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

Eh, nothing better to do. I'm aware that trying to look for patterns in the random noise of the first day is going to be largely fruitless and I don't actually expect much to come from it, but that's better than the entirely fruitless strategy of continuing to jokepost or twiddle our thumbs until deadline.

Fast Luck posted:

Pope, what's your read on Anius?

I originally picked him as an arbitrary vote via RNG to get things moving but trying to put pressure on someone who's not there doesn't work that well.

I assume he's probably just disinterested or unavailable as opposed to scum--if he were lurking on purpose as scum I'd assume he'd have posted something so that it wasn't so obvious. The RNG seemed really sure about him, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Whoops buddy you seem to have missed one.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I still don't expect it, but an early dogpile is a good way to fish for reactions :ssh:

I said straight up that I was just trying to provoke some action, in case it wasn't already clear. We haven't really gotten much out of it except Fathis and Dragonatrix's bandwagon votes and they both read as too jokey for me to seriously suspect them, but it's a start.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
##unvote

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
All mafia newbies are also paranoid.

I know my posts have been pretty scattershot but if we're going by the :justpost: mantra I fail to see how this is any worse than relentless jokeposting.

I'd have been happy leaving the votes on Kerro for a little while longer just to see if anyone would be crazy enough to bite, but oh well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Still think Allen Wren and blacknyte are the most obvious candidates. blacknyte continually asking for pointers on how to avoid suspicion has not done much to clear his name after his first couple of fishy votes.

2 out of 3 is pretty good Hiipfire!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Carpet Shark posted:

Yo, Kerro, how do you feel about these people voting you?

How do you feel about them? You've been posting but haven't really commented on anyone.

(Ok, I know I've been posting a lot but I'm about to leave work and go do stuff for a while.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My suspicions have been weak because we're still barely out of joke phase and I don't really have much conviction in them, but I post them anyways because I want to get discussion going and provoke some reactions. Which is part of the reason that I haven't been explaining them thoroughly--I didn't want to come out and say "I think this case on Kerro is obviously bullshit because it's based on 3 jokeposts from page 1, but I want to see who jumps on it and who defends him once he has a couple votes on him", because that defeats the purpose. There was some risk that scum would ride that vote all the way to a lynch, but I was at work on a slow day so I was around to unvote if anyone else started piling on. And in the worst case scenario, if 3 people just coincidentally happened to rapidly take Kerro from 4 votes to 7 before anyone had a chance to back off, well, that would be a pretty good clue as to who some of the scum were! (Although I'm aware that in that scenario I would not exactly be above suspicion myself.)

Sorry about the lack of quotes--not trying to be disingenuous, just lazy. But the game is starting to get a little more serious and you've put forward a good effortpost, so I'll explain my main two suspicions in a bit more detail:

Allen Wren posted:

Well, like most people say, day one's a crapshoot. I'm just going to chill on the counter for now.

Allen Wren's first post announces his intention to just sit on the sidelines.

Allen Wren posted:

Well, I was going to ask why you thought I was being scummy, but apparently it's not up for discussion. gently caress.

Also, for gently caress's sake, Pope, chill a bit. You're going LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC and running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

He immediately becomes defensive when people cast suspicion in his direction (but still without providing any content.)

Allen Wren posted:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm aware that trying to look for patterns in the random noise of the first day is going to be largely fruitless and I don't actually expect much to come from it,
Correct.

He actively discourages scumhunting. Kerro called me out because I don't put a lot of stock in the earliest and least informed phases on the game, but I think it's better than nothing, and at least I'm trying to generate some action that can be useful later. Allen Wren would apparently prefer we just talk about toasters for another 24 hours.

In general, he's been posting a lot without actually trying to contribute. A lot of your arguments against Fathis apply to Allen Wren at well, but at least I give Fathis some credit for poking things along in a half-assed sort of way; Allen Wren hasn't contributed anything. That said, I'm still not super convinced about him until I see more posting.

blacknyte, on the other hand:

blacknyte posted:

Out of all of the posts so far, I like Pez's vote on Fathis Munk the least. Here he talks negatively against a growing lynch on Kerro without making a case on Fathis Munk that is compelling in any way.

##vote Pez

Jumps into the thread and immediately latches onto the most recent and most obvious vote. Not a completely terrible move, but...

blacknyte posted:

What is a scum slip?

I do not see anything that would indicate Kerro scum slipped. This vote looks scummy.

##vote Dragonatrix

After asking for details on scum slips and how to spot them, he flails his way over to Dragonatrix's jokevote and jumps on it. Doesn't bother mentioning any reasoning at all, just that it "looks scummy" because he didn't understand the gag.

blacknyte posted:

This is a misconception that I've seen veterans on this forum talk about before. I couldn't find any examples quickly.

Kerro's alignment is irrelevant to Pez's negative treatment towards the growing lynch to be scummy. A common scum play is to talk negatively about the growing lynch of a town player so that you look more town when that player flips town. A common scum play is also to talk negatively about the growing lynch of a scum player to try to push the town in a different direction and, therefore, save their scum buddy.

That said, I think the 'scum slip' vote is the worst vote of the day right now, so that's where my vote lies.

Could someone please explain these scum slips to me? I don't see what anyone is talking about.

Where have I done this? I did not understand a term used in a case. When I understood the term, I immediately voted someone because their use of the term was completely without merit to justify a vote.

What do you expect me to do to 'clear my name' and why are my votes 'fishy'? This content reeks of falsity.

Still preoccupied with scum strategy and willing to stick to his guns on a case based on a jokevote that he doesn't understand, and starting to get a bit touchy. Also, "this content reeks of falsity"? Who even talks like that?

Obviously, blacknyte is either 1) scum or 2) a humorless nerd and in any case I vote that we lynch and/or swirlie him.

##vote blacknyte

(Again, I'm more interested in seeing where this goes than I am in actually lynching blacknyte, but unlike Kerro I think he's a legit lynch candidate.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Personally I agree that going through all those posts is kind of lame and I'd just as soon not bother, but Shark asked for quotes nicely so :shobon:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Soooooo the deadline is in about 7 hours. Barring some huge new development I'd still prefer to lynch Allen or blacknyte, but are we even going to be able to muster a lynch given that it's Saturday and people may not be around a lot?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I agree that Fathis is suspicious and voting him is preferable to a no-lynch (or most other lynch votes) but I think we have better candidates. Fathis has been pretty willing to put himself out there and although he hasn't contributed a lot he is still participating more than a lot of our lurkers.

I'm not writing him off, but I think there are more immediate priorities. Allen Wren has been much more aggressively unhelpful and blacknyte and Dragonatrix have been laying down some really, really bad votes--blacknyte seems worse because he seems to be serious, but Dragonatrix's non-committal jokevotes would be good cover for scum laying low.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo I thought we haf another hour.

##Allen Wren

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry phoneposting

##vote Allen Wren

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Allen was one of my top 2 scum picks (and still is, but I'd prefer to explore the field today.) I thought we had an hour left and was checking in to see if we could muster a vote on him anyhow.

I thought Anias was pretty scummy to show up at the last minute and say "mmhmm yes I agree with these accusations" without really contributing. I figured that if I survived the night I would open today by questioning him, but now I dunno :shrug:

Was kind of expecting Kerro to bite it actually, and the fact that the nightkill was neither Kerro nor anyone who had voted him does make me a trifle more suspicious (I can't blame him on the deadline, since I made the same mistake.) But like you say there's a lot of suspicion to go around and Kerro is still close to the bottom of my list, I'm just slightly less confident about him being town now.

I still find blacknyte suspicious, but I don't know what to think about him actively participating on Thursday and then going incommunicado for 30 hours until deadline--I feel if he was really scum he would have come back and tried to make some sort of defense. I would really like to hear more from him before I change my opinion on him, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kerro posted:

I'm curious why you thought I might be the target though?

You were one of the few players making good effortposts and seriously scumhunting, for starters, and then on top of that you were one of the bigger vote targets so your death would have cast a lot of suspicion around (I wasn't sure I was going to survive, for similar reasons.)

I was expecting Fathis to post yesterday and now that you mention it his silence is pretty suspicious. He did say he was posting from work and I generally expect less consistent posting on the weekend, but I am liking the case on him a lot more. I should note that Dragonatrix did basically the same thing with their vote though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

If I start voting at people, I'm scum. If I tell people to not vote, I'm scum. If I think someone is scum, I'm scum.

And you told me to chill.

You never voted anyone except yourself, so you don't know what people would say if you started voting at people.
You never told people not to vote, so you don't know what people would say if you told them not to vote.
You never said anyone was scum, so you don't know what people would say if you said anyone was scum.

Perhaps since you have such a tremendous persecution complex you shouldn't volunteer to play games that revolve around everyone suspecting and accusing each other?

Also please do not try to cut the day short by encouraging a quick lynch on yourself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

I don't wanna encourage Allen's defeatism, but tbh he is the only one who gave me a town vibe before the deadline last night. Scum typically wouldn't take it so personally being called scum or try to get themselves voted out of the game heh.

If you got a town vibe then why did you vote for him? I'm having a hard time seeing a scum angle behind your apparent change of heart, so I'm not super suspicious, but your play here seems pretty weird so I'm curious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

blacknyte posted:

I think Dragonatrix is still the scummiest player. He voted yesterday on a 'scum slip' when no 'scum slip' was even there. He made up a justification for the vote.

##vote Dragonatrix

On top of that, Dragonatrix's case/vote on Fathis completely ignores his scum slip vote on Kerro. If you legitimately felt like you caught someone in a scum slip, why would you vote someone else?

blacknyte posted:

Gabriel also defends Dragonatrix's vote on Kerro as a jokevote when I do not see any indication whatsoever from Dragonatrix that the vote was a joke.

Is English not your first language? Also, are you actually a robot? These are the only explanations I can think of for posts like these.

"If you legitimately felt like you caught someone in a scum slip, why would you vote someone else?" He (?) obviously voted someone else because he did not feel like he legitimately caught someone in a scum slip. You agree that Dragonatrix calling Kerro's posting a "scum slip" is patently absurd, so it seems like a logical conclusion that he was probably being absurd on purpose.

You also accuse me of "using strong words to try to accentuate a point that isn't there" when literally 1/3 of the posts so far have been you hammering the case on Dragonatrix, a case which consists in its entirety of your failure to comprehend why someone would type words that were not actually true for entertainment purposes.

Note that I still think Dragonatrix is scummy (even moreso than Fathis in my book) and I am not impressed by his jumping on the Fathis bandwagon, and yes, his vote on Kerro is pretty troubling because sticking a 4th vote on someone as a jokevote and then disappearing is really sketchy, but the fact that he was being facetious is not by itself evidence that he's scum. Yet that's the only thing that you keep harping on as justification for your vote.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Guys I think I figured out what blacknyte's deal is

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Thank you, that does clear things up. I apologize if I was riding you a bit hard.

I still find it odd that you were willing to push Dragonatrix so hard based on a misunderstanding. Good effort I guess? Considering you could have easily made a better case against Dragonatrix if you really wanted I guess I'll rest my suspicions. That leaves Allen, Dragon, and Fathis (But I still believe in you Fathis :shobon: You can do better than this!)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

blacknyte posted:

Why do you think his vote is a joke? He does not say it is a joke anywhere.

Neither did most of the people who posted votes or accusations early on in D1.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think it's a scum ploy from Allen. I don't see a first time ever player deciding to fake hating the game and self-voting as a scum ploy.

There's nothing to stop a newbie scum player from deciding to take their ball and go home either though, so at best it's a neutral read. I am not swayed at all by his posting before the deadline, although his willingness to self-vote today is a little more convincing--a scum player taking advantage of a likely no-lynch in a last ditch attempt to prove their cred might make some sense, a scum player offering themselves up at the start of a day seems like a bit of a stretch. I don't think it's unthinkable if he and/or his teammates thought the case on him was unsalvageable, but trying to figure out Fathis/Dragonatrix might be a more pressing issue now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry I don't think self-voting gives you a free pass?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think his frustration and defeatism is genuine, but I don't see how that establishes him as town. Scum players can throw tantrums too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I really just don't know what the gently caress, because he melted down at practically nothing. If he had been close to being lynched I would agree with your read more but throwing yourself on the ground and sulking at the first sign of suspicion doesn't really read as anything, just plain batshit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

I still love how my posting put me on the suspect list and then my not posting put me even higher on it :allears: Maybe I'll scumhunt tomorrow morining, it's getting too late to think about internet games over here. Though tbh it looks like a lot of you have made your mind up and are going to lynch innocent ol' Fathis so whatever I guess :shrug:

This attitude is not exactly helping!

Also, where'd Epsilon Plus go? They haven't posted since Friday morning.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

Eh, there is nothing I can actually say to defend myself and I don't have time to sit down and think correctly about this game right now, shitload of work got dropped on me :smith:

Defending my case only makes me seem more scummy, what am I going to do, yell "I'm not scum, I promise ?" I think I'll just stay my suicidal course that is simply 2dumb4scum.

Everybody is scummy. The point of the game is not to prove that you aren't scum (because you can't), it's to try to figure out who the most likely scum are.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Make up your mind about Allen!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HiipFire posted:

FINE I HATE HIM OKAY?!

This is cool and fine opinion to have but your unvote before the deadline was still pretty weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'll admit to being a bit hyper in the early stages of D1, I just wanted to get something happening. You'll notice that half of that list got mentioned once on page 2 before we had any leads--I pared it down to Allen/blacknyte/Fathis/Dragonatrix pretty quickly.

That list itself has kind of dwindled... I'm off of blacknyte now that his odd posting/voting has been accounted for, I haven't written off Allen yet but he's a lot less pressing now that he's seemingly gone AWOL, and now that Dragonatrix is participating more and being helpful my suspicions have eased up.

So my list is pretty much down to Fathis at this point anyhow. I just felt bad because he seemed to want to participate and have a good time playing Mafia.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kerro posted:

Yeah that last post would seem a little over the top but I could totally see a Fathis/Gabriel Pope/??? scum team. I'd much rather lynch Fathis at this point though but if he flips scum as I expect then Gabriel would be a good follow-up.

If this happens I preemptively apologize for loving up and making you waste a lynch on me for encouraging a fellow newbie.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Allen did not, at any point, make any attempt at playing. He pretty much jumped straight into "UGH WHY ARE YOU SO SERIOUS ABOUT TRYING TO PLAY THIS GAME" and from there it was a short hop to "FINE I QUIT IF YOU'RE GOING TO EVER SUSPECT ME OF ANYTHING." Read his post history, he literally never attempted to discuss or vote for anyone except himself. And yes, maybe I'm being petty because he insulted me but seriously, several players were AWOL for 99% of day 1 and still managed to contribute more than he did.

Fathis on the other hand at least posted tangentially relevant comments about other players. I said that I had a stronger feel about 3 specific other candidates because at the time I had a stronger feel about those 3 specific candidates. I encouraged him to post because 1) I wanted a better read on him and 2) I honestly thought his posts were entertaining :shobon: Also 3) given the high amount of lurking going on around here I didn't want to drive off someone who had been one of the most active posters, at least until I could get a better picture of whether he was scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fathis was my #4 lynch candidate, then my #3, then my #2, and is now pretty much my #1. I was down to Dragon/Fathis (and said as much) and then Dragonatrix starts seriousposting reads like this one:

Dragonatrix posted:

i sorta think the opposite atm looks more to me like hes flipflopping a lot more because hes confused and unsure about how to work things out right now so hes just running with the first thing he could latch onto for the time being

maybe hes scum maybe hes not but right now my gut says confused newbie town

It would have been pretty easy for him to say "yes Pez that scummy blacknyte sure is scummy." I guess Dragonatrix/blacknyte scumteam is possible but I'm not really feeling either one of them at this point.

• Locked thread