Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Don Tacorleone posted:

Do you old fuckers regret all the time you spent on your slow rear end machines watching a pixel the size of my dick move 3 squares to the left? Because lol

My phone has more processing power than all your old computers combined

i just got my dad's old hand me downs i got my first pc when i was 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

orangesampson posted:

233 without a agp card, Modding a pc in 1998 was expensive.

I don't think mine had an AGP slot either. I threw in a GeForce 2 MX and an extra 128 megs of RAM. Ran Quake 3 fairly decently.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Don Tacorleone posted:

Do you old fuckers regret all the time you spent on your slow rear end machines watching a pixel the size of my dick move 3 squares to the left? Because lol

i prefer the old computer it had no sound card or modem (so i wouldnt have to hear or read ur posts)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Tacorleone posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Don Tacorleone posted:

lol this nerd thinks you have to be old to remember the 90's

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I had a mid 90s Compaq my dad bought from some guy at work

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I learned to type on a C64 with a genuine bluescreen. Those were the days. :allears:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Otto von Ruthless posted:

also the first time I saw the internet was gopher :corsair:

The first time I saw the Internet, it was called the ARPANET.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Remember when lovely computers were like 2 grand? God people were dumb on the 90s, computers were 2 grand and online access came at a per minute charge.

I think an apple 2 was likely the first computer id used.

Also,
DWANGO

I bought 128K of RAM to double my computer's storage. That cost me $500. Then I added a 20 Meg hard drive. That cost another $500. (The 40 Meg hard drive was something like $800.)

Don Tacorleone posted:

Your phone has more processing power than the Saturn V rocket, the control rooms at Cape Canaveral and the Johnson Space Center did during the Apollo missions. My middle school has more processing power, just in chromebooks and tablets, than all of NASA, plus all of its contractors and the Pentagon, did during the Apollo missions.

It is really amazing what the kids can do with all that power, when they are on form.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Don Tacorleone posted:

Computers didn't make me rich, but my life is pretty drat good. It's all thanks to being a huge nerd. I regret nothing.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

gently caress no Zaxxon owned

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
My first computer was a Blip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-jyKJ3mEE

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

genesplicer posted:

Your phone has more processing power than the Saturn V rocket, the control rooms at Cape Canaveral and the Johnson Space Center did during the Apollo missions. My middle school has more processing power, just in chromebooks and tablets, than all of NASA, plus all of its contractors and the Pentagon, did during the Apollo missions.

It is really amazing what the kids can do with all that power, when they are on form.

I was just thinking this earlier today, does that mean I'm old now?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
first computer was a commodore 64, then i got a 286 that didnt do much at all

486 was big poo poo tho

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

MondayHotDog posted:

You guys were all rich/had nerdy parents. My first computer was a Celeron 733 with 64MB of RAM and a 20GB hard drive. It was literally the cheapest computer my mom could find.

same. it came with windows me. the deskstar would later prove to be insufficient storage for the cheap dsl and p2p bonanza and i discovered a screwdriver opened the case and the thing could be upgraded

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

first computer was a commodore 64, then i got a 286 that didnt do much at all

486 was big poo poo tho

i made wing commander 4 run on a 486.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I used to play Rise of the Triad on a 386. When I would shrink the screen real small so it would run non-lovely, it would display the message "Buy A 486"

Good times.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I remember the Tech Teacher at my school bought one of the earliest 486 machines. Then he bought a 540 meg hard drive. When I asked what it was like to have that much storage, he said it was like moving from a one room apartment to an aircraft hanger.

I wonder what a 2TB hard drive would be like in that sort of situation.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

awwww i really hope you have something to brag about some day
go get em champ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
yeah my first computer was an 80086 with no hard drive

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah my first computer was an 80086 with no hard drive

thats what she said

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey guys what do you reckon is heaviest, OPs mother or a Trinitron

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey guys what do you reckon is heaviest, OPs mother or a Trinitron

well nobody hs a trinitron anymore so...

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
If you didn't own a trinitrom monitor in the 1990s you were poor.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
mine was an ibm aptiva lol.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Robbie Fowler posted:

mine was an ibm aptiva lol.

ur mom was bundled with shovelware

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
swan was better

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
amiga 500 here

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
first computer was a lovely 8088. I envied the kids w/ C64s but at least I had space quest and nethack...

it weirds me out how thoroughly the personal PC situation has reversed itself since, oh, the late 90s

macs used to be the expensive computers that cranky nerds with too much money insisted on using, whereas PCs were the "good enough" machines that most folks would buy on the cheap.

nowadays you just buy an iPad or whatever and don't worry about the PC unless you're a hardcore gaming nerd or need to work at home or some poo poo. it's like micro$oft finally realized their dream of becoming apple while apple decided that it'd actually prefer to own the mass market. lol make up your minds you silicon valley jerks!

e: I can;t post gud vobaculary

mmmm fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 16, 2014

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

486 DX2 66Mhz with 4MB RAM 200MB hard drive and *~MULTIMEDIA KIT~*

It had a turbo button but pressing it would reduce the speed to 33Mhz so what was the loving point of that.

Also my fondest memory was browsing the Microsoft Cinemania 94 disc that came with the machine. I spent hours on that thing... it was my internet. I still have a windows XP VM and a cinemania iso but if I'm honest it's clunky and lovely and it's much easier to just open a browser window and go to Wikipedia. I can't even do nostalgia properly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mmmm posted:

macs used to be the expensive computers that cranky nerds with too much money insisted on using, whereas PCs were the "good enough" machines that most folks would buy on the cheap.

nowadays you just buy an iPad or whatever and don't worry about the PC unless you're a hardcore gaming nerd or need to work at home or some poo poo. it's like micro$oft finally realized their dream of becoming apple while apple decided that it'd actually prefer to own the mass market. lol make up your minds you silicon valley jerks!
it used to be that pcs dominated the desktop market but now pcs dominate the desktop
youve really keyed in on the major shift there

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

gary oldmans diary posted:

it used to be that pcs dominated the desktop market but now pcs dominate the desktop

yeah I goofed, meant "personal" computer. I am old.

e: because gary oldmans diary is correct

mmmm fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Rhombic Drive
Apr 15, 2007

The first computer I used was something similar to this one

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=181&type=Computer

Although it was probably a just a 5150 clone from the same manufacturer

Rhombic Drive fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 16, 2014

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

First computer I ever used was hand cranked and used punchcards because im hella old. First PC was a 286 clocked at 14Mhz (286's sucked). First gaming computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k, all noisily loading games from a cassette player at 1500 bits per second, rocking Jet Set Willy with my 1-button Atari joystick.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 80s were peak "get your white child a Personal Computer because everything's going to be on computers" and companies would finance machines for their employees. my dad went 2800 deep on a loan for a full apple //gs setup in '85 and that was the best christmas i ever had

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My first computer was a 486 packard bell.

this thing

windows 3.1 baby.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

comma 8 comma 1

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

comma 8 comma 1

Got one of these, the guy who sold it to me bought it brand-new, only used it once and lost interest right away. Sold it to me in brand-new condition for ten bucks.

My first computer was my father's old hand-me-down Amiga 2000. I was using it to do my school work right up until about 2001.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

gary oldmans diary posted:

the point was that the desktop market is disappearing :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Bought a brand new vic20 when they came out. The future is now, baby!

• Locked thread