Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Longshot007 posted:

If they actually pull it off it might make all that loving money they get for free worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

of course there will be skepticism until it's published and replicated. still, it's cool that non-academic research into Fusion is going strong somewhere against all the short term profit obsession of corporate USA

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Grimwall posted:

This is potentially the discovery of the century. A Lockheed Martin Skunk Works team lead by a PhD from MIT, building on years of fusion research of academia just went public with their plan for Compact fusion Reactor.

tldr: a new design of fusion reactor from Lockheed Martin's moonshot division has a real chance rewriting the rules on energy politics of the world

ok but how does TV's Frank fit into this?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm really excited for fusion power to be perpetually five years away rather than perpetually twenty years away.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grimwall posted:

of course there will be skepticism until it's published and replicated. still, it's cool that non-academic research into Fusion is going strong somewhere against all the short term profit obsession of corporate USA

I mean Fusion is a high risk, probably high reward sorta thing as any company who gets it right earns a: place in history and b: mad $$$ from the patent

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

fuse your dick with my butthole

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

can you smoke weed with it?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

can you smoke weed with it?

u fuse the weed atoms directly into your cells so yours high 24/7

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Very excited for this to never be adopted because of a broad coalition of environmentalists and oil/coal companies who convince the public that this is nearly as dangerous as ebola

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 16, 2014

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Grimwall posted:

to be fair they're getting the money to fund it for free from the government which expects nothing in return, kind of like academic researchers used to get

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
where the gently caress are my hoverboards?!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

proof of concept posted:

to be fair they're getting the money to fund it for free from the government which expects nothing in return, kind of like academic researchers used to get

Maybe academics need to start producing more bombs abs fewer papers

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

idk what to make of this because high beta spherical tokamaks already exist and are super compact and aren't currently just a glorified trashcan with a metal donut in them (which is what this thing currently is judging from the Mother Jones video). There's also a bunch of other stuff about the design that I'm not sure about but since they haven't actually released any information on it beyond "we've got a rad idea" any comment on it is probably dumb well that's all I have to say god bless

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Longshot007 posted:

If they actually pull it off it might make all that loving money they get for free worth it.

Indeed, now they will be able to sell an actual product for boatloads of money...

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gavrilo Princip posted:

idk what to make of this because high beta spherical tokamaks already exist and are super compact and aren't currently just a glorified trashcan with a metal donut in them (which is what this thing currently is judging from the Mother Jones video). There's also a bunch of other stuff about the design that I'm not sure about but since they haven't actually released any information on it beyond "we've got a rad idea" any comment on it is probably dumb well that's all I have to say god bless

it's publicity, they are creating buzz so their lobbyists can point to the buzz and get more money from congress because look, if it weren't a great idea then why is there all this buzz?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
awesome we will get powered armor in 10 years that will have the same failure rate as the f-35 and wipe out cities/countries every time a soldier trips.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Gavrilo Princip posted:

they claim a beta of 1 compared to 0.4 on spherical tokamaks (wikipedia), how realistic is that?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I know a lot of science, for example, I totally know what compact fusion is

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Finally gundams or no longer a dream.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Zzulu posted:

I know a lot of science, for example, I totally know what compact fusion is

same, yoiu can carry it in your pocket

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Last time someone tried this poo poo they almost blew up New York twice.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wild T posted:

Last time someone tried this poo poo they almost blew up New York twice.

that's bad how?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TOILETLORD posted:

that's bad how?

not thinking big enough

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if unlimited energy would be the best or worst thing to happen to humanity.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Skunkworks could be a location in Abe's Odyssey. Lockheed run by Glukkon's?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Where do the bubbles all fit into this?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Military applications include: Power source for fuckoff powerful naval or aerial laser. Like what does an airframe need all that power for besides that.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tautologicus posted:

Not sure if unlimited energy would be the best or worst thing to happen to humanity.

well it would destroy the middle east even more so good i guess, especially if we just keep unlimited energy in the US and horde oil to drive the price up and take every other countries wealth.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Will we be able to build even cooler weapons because of this somehow

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Rapman the Cook posted:

Hahahahahaha

LIke this is going to actually be used to HELP humanity in any way at all.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

woah there Lockheed, let's focus on building planes that actually work before you get all excited about fusion

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Cockweed Fartin

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE OF PROTOTYPE REACTOR RUNNING

http://youtu.be/1j4gO9sR7zs?t=1m17s

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Megatron uses a fusion cannon

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Think of all the possibilities... New videogame weapons based on this tech... What a time to be alive!

Although... loving assholes I just installed solar panels in my house. gently caress scientists

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Don Tacorleone posted:

Think of all the possibilities... New videogame weapons based on this tech... What a time to be alive!

Although... loving assholes I just installed solar panels in my house. gently caress scientists

if this means bulletguns go away in fps games im all for it

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

The Juggernaut posted:

Skunkworks could be a location in Abe's Odyssey. Lockheed run by Glukkon's?

Dabu.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Captain Matchbox posted:

Cockweed Fartin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

It may even revive the concept of large, nuclear-powered aircraft that virtually never require refueling—ideas of which were largely abandoned more than 50 years ago because of the dangers and complexities involved with nuclear fission reactors.

gently caress yes airships

my final fantasy is coming true...!

• Locked thread