Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Had them all the way.

Going off to breath heavily into a bag for the next two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TubeStank posted:

The Patriots aren't very good and, somehow, Geno looked remarkably competent.

Yeah, Geno played super conservatively with the ball and was able to make things happen.

He also ate like 3 unforgivable sacks, but he definitely showed better-then-Ponder-ness tonight.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That game had 4 lead changes. The first four lead changes on TNF this year.

also:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think the thread got juked because everyone was expecting an icing so it took like 15 seconds to register that no, that's how the game actually ended.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

He better come fix the Atlanta defense first.

Bonus, the Ryan brothers would be on opposing sides of a great NFL rivalry. I would get a giant bowl of popcorn just for the sideline shots of the Saints/Falcons games.

Is there a third Ryan that coaches special teams? That would just be the best.

If Buddy had a child that didn't want to be a defensive coordinator he would've drowned him in a tub.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

alanthecat posted:

Just watched the highlights, was the pats run def as poo poo as the stats indicate?

Worse

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just saw that Austin Davis went 18/21 and 2 TD's against the Seahawks.

Well then.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zoran posted:

Didn't Kalli post something about how our defense is just as bad or worse on a per-play basis, but we allow the opponents far fewer plays now?

Yeah, the thing is, they're better on 3rd downs which leads to what Chir said about their advanced stats. But all in all, they're still a pretty bad defense, but gently caress it, who cares, they're 6-1.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what exactly caused the Bengals to implode in such a fashion? At this rate I expect them to get negative points next week followed by not showing up at all for week 8.

Well, their defense seems fine and they went almost the entire first half without making a play more then like 4 yards downfield, so I'll go with the "all their receivers are injured" excuse as being probably right.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh the Colts were wrecking them but they just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

As they are want to do.

I mean, the two fumbles were huge, but the Bengals D made the Colts punt 5 times in that first half despite having, what I think was, roughly 3 minutes between series.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The stat I saw from this morning was that the Texans had never given up 24 points in a quarter (or maybe they had once, I forget), and then did it in each of the last two games.

I mean it is pretty hard to give up 24 points in a quarter.

Quick check, since 2000:

11 teams have given up 24+ in the 1st quarter
44 teams in the 2nd quarter (Dallas 5 times)
4 teams in the 3rd quarter
30 teams in the 4th quarter (Buffalo and Detroit did it 3x each)

2nd and 4th quarters obviously can have a drive end right at the start which makes sense. Most points in a quarter are the Patriots with 35 twice on the Jets and Titans (you know the games), and the Lions on the Bears and Jets on the Cardinals with 34 apiece.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots fans will boo if they're not winning by more then a touchdown at halftime.

The stadium crowd is really, really spoiled.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From FO's weekly clutch encounters article:

quote:

The Jets now stand at a league-worst 0-5 on game-winning drive opportunities in 2014 after a league-best 5-2 record last season.

Also from the comments, I think this is my new favorite obscure as gently caress rule:

quote:

Rule 4-7-1-d: A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by ... throwing a backward pass [which includes laterals] out of bounds;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember much "football is dying" talk in '98 but I was ten years old so it probably went over my head. At any rate, medical technology have advanced enough since then that it's a much more real debate but you don't need me to tell you that.

There was a bunch of that around the late 90's. Elway, Marino, Young, Aikman, Sanders, and White all left in '98-'00 and the other stars like Emmitt, Rice, Irvin and Sanders were (appearing to) fade fast. And outside the likes of Favre, there weren't really the huge mid-career superstar players replacing them. (And who could like Randy Moss, he smoked marijuana)

Of course Kurt Warner came out of nowhere, Peyton, Faulk, Lewis, Moss and Brady all showed up with the snap of your fingers, but in that window, there were a bunch of sky is falling articles out there.

• Locked thread