Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Language goons, how did it come to be that homosexuals are sometimes referred to as "fruits"? I realize that fruits are festive and all but there are lots more festive things that would probably be more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Either Carmen Miranda or Fruity Pebbles.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Men are meat and potatoes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
"strange fruit" because they were lynched

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
actually i just made that up i apologize op i dont want to jeopardize my reputation for unshakable truth here on these forums

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They're both colorful and juicy? I dunno.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

"strange fruit" because they were lynched

I was halfway ready to believe this one.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

quote:

In A Dictionary of Epithets and Terms of Address author Leslie Dunkling traces the friendly use of the phrase old fruit (and rarely old tin of fruit) to the 1920s in Britain possibly deriving from the phrase fruit of the womb. In the United States, however, both fruit and fruitcake are seen as negative with fruitcake likely originating from "nutty as a fruitcake" (a crazy person).

quote:

Fruit as gay slang or slur is amongst the lexicon of the cant slang Polari used in the gay subculture in Britain, which has become more mainstream with transcontinental travel and online communication. There is still debate about how Polari originated but its origins can be traced back to at least the 19th century and has multiple origins and routes of dissemination with researchers finding a relatively small base of less than two dozen common (universal words) supplemented by regional phrases. It is believed to be passed on near exclusively by oral history and teaching and was found in traveling professions such as those in the sailing and traveling entertainment industries (like minstrel shows and circuses). In Polari, fruit means queen, which at the time and still today is a term for gay men and can be used positively or negatively depending on the speaker, usage and intent.

Several origins of the word fruit being used to describe gay men are possible, and most stem from the linguistic concepts of insulting a man by comparing him to or calling him a woman. In Edita Jodonytë and Palmina Morkienë's research On Sexist Attitudes in English they note "female-associated words become totally derogatory when applied to males" and “[W]hen language oppresses it does so by any means that disparage and belittle.” Comparing a gay man to fruit, soft and tender, effeminate, like a woman has possibly gained near universal use because both LGBT people and fruit are found nearly everywhere.In One of the Boys: Homosexuality in the Military During World War II author Paul Jackson writes "a number of words that originally referred to prostitutes came to be applied to effeminate or queer men - "queen, punk, gay, human being, fairy, and fruit."

From the 1857 "Dictionary of Obsolete and Provincial English: Containing Words from the English Writers Previous to the Nineteenth Century Which Are No Longer In Use, Or Are Not Used In The Same Sense. And Words Which Are Now Used Only In The Provincial Dialects" (e.g. all parts of England other than London) several routes seem likely, cockney was "an effeminate boy who sold fruit and greens while cobble is the stone (or pit) of a fruit which also is presently defined as male testicles from the Cockney rhyming slang "cobbler's awls", meaning "balls" and blow was the blossoming of a fruit tree and is widely used as the Polari definition for oral sex on a man causing him to "blow"(ejaculate).

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Language goons, how did it come to be that homosexuals are sometimes referred to as "fruits"? I realize that fruits are festive and all but there are lots more festive things that would probably be more appropriate.

Classical sense preserved in fruits of one's labor. Originally in English meaning vegetables as well. Modern narrower sense is from early 13c. Meaning "odd person, eccentric" is from 1910; that of "male homosexual" is from 1935. The term also is noted in 1931 as tramp slang for "a girl or woman willing to oblige," probably from the fact of being "easy picking." Fruit salad recorded from 1861.

- Online Etymology Dictionary, http://www.etymonline.com/

Seems like it is the same as queer: it went from being "odd person" to "gay person."

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 17, 2014

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!
I'm a fan of "light in the loafers" or "a little sugar in the tank".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
also human being comes from contemporary 16th c slang for an old woman, it has nothign to do with gays being burned at the stake or other bullshit folk etymologies meant to imply massive persecution

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i thought in america it was just a shortened form of the older term "fruitcake"

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
buncha wristlifters ITT

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Grapes are a fruit, and they are better getting smashed underfoot and fermented, much like gays.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thanks, "Apple" white

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Don Tacorleone posted:

Thanks, "Apple" white

;)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

language is interesting. a simple word like "bad" was likely derived from the old english bædling, meaning effeminate man, hermaphrodite, pederast, perhaps related to bædan, to defile.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm waiting for the resurgence of 'dandy' to hit the streets. That's a good, solid insult

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm waiting for the resurgence of 'dandy' to hit the streets. That's a good, solid insult

Is it? I always thought it was a pretty situational insult, and often only borderline insulting depending since it doesn't really imply low social status.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Full of seed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mange Mite posted:

Is it? I always thought it was a pretty situational insult, and often only borderline insulting depending since it doesn't really imply low social status.
Depending on context it isn't an insult at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Fruity is actually etymologically unrelated to fruit. It comes from the Old Norse /frøgtæŋ/ which means "gay as gently caress"

• Locked thread