Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I'd like to start volunteering and i need a giant rear end op to tell me exactly what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

volunteer to never post again

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a local church might be a good place to start

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
anywhere but a church is your best bet

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

a local church might be a good place to start

im an atheist

im filling out a form to volunteer at a cat shelter

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you don't have to believe to volunteer at a church, especially after a natural disaster when most churches open their doors to people who need shelter

i hope christ can forgive you because i believe you have a good soul :)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Where do I go if I want to volunteer to help burn down all churches

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
try ISIS

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

you don't have to believe to volunteer at a church, especially after a natural disaster when most churches open their doors to refugees

i hope christ can forgive you because i believe you have a good soul :)

Really? I can't imagine they'd want me, I grew up around a lot of Southern Baptists and they don't like us non believers much. I just imagine if some random dude who didn't even attend the church showed up they'd be a little less than enthused. I'll google around for stuff like that though.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
habitat for humanity owns, I recommend that. You will probably start doing dumb poo poo like nailing subfloors and roofing tiles but if you're not an idiot you'll end up doing other things like making the frame sections or something. Then you can feel good about yourself when you see some war orphans move into a house that you helped build

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Cool Blue Reason posted:

im an atheist

im filling out a form to volunteer at a cat shelter

Your library might have programs that need help. I facilitate thing where immigrants who know basic English (or not-terrible) English come in and practice speaking. I started doing this by emailing and saying "hi this looks cool do you need a person to help" and it turned out the person who did it was super old and had just died so they did.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

you can volunteer to work my knob human being

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

roboshit posted:

you can volunteer to work my knob human being

:eyepop:

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
If you live by a large-ish town, you might have a volunteer center. They're pretty great for connecting you with people like local museums, women's organizations, and youth groups. And spamming your email for years after.

Americorps is also pretty great. I have a cousin who did peace corps, and then he and his wife did americorps for a while. If you're willing to work, there's a alot you can get out of it apparently.

liebniz
Oct 12, 2010
I'll pray for you

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
http://www.unitedway.org/ enter zipcode register account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax