Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

eranged. Hell, much love to a gamer, but come on. Seriously? What are your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
In FFXIV, sometimes you get in a party with a tank or a healer whos using a ps3 controller.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Fps games are always better with a mouse. They were designed for a mouse. The only reason anyone can fps worth a poo poo is modern devs put in all sorts of autoaim sticky crosshairs bullshit.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

In FFXIV, sometimes you get in a party with a tank or a healer whos using a ps3 controller.

Good Lord!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OkieMurse posted:

Fps games are always better with a mouse. They were designed for a mouse. The only reason anyone can fps worth a poo poo is modern devs put in all sorts of autoaim sticky crosshairs bullshit.

I just watched a Giant Bomb Quickload of borderlands where he was playing and it had the 360 buttons on the screen and then I seen steam achievements pop up and I made a jackie chan/AVGN hybrid face.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quick Look, I mean.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I agree OP, they're missing out.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the one thing that makes me envious of console fpsers is they probably dont have to deal with mega pro snipers nearly as often, i think going somewhere on the map and suddenly dying from some guy you can't hear or see is not very fun

but yea i could never play a fps with a controller, it would just feel wrong

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
playing fps requires the sweet precision of a mouse. why gimp yourself with a controller?
lmao maybe i'll just play this platformer after gouging out my eyes

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Going to a keyboard takes some adjustment.

Going to a controller when you could be using a k+m? Never play games online again because if you throw my game I'll gently caress you.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

VideoGames posted:

playing fps requires the sweet precision of a mouse. why gimp yourself with a controller?

this is called a 'blind run'

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's not just auto-aim either. Movement speed has slowed down overall since FPS' moved to consoles. Even UT's normal running speed feels blistering fast compared to, say, Halo 4.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
FPS games are about more than aiming, there is nothing that makes them inherently specific to mouse and keyboard control. That's just what became the de facto standard back in the mid-90's, but when you step back and actually look at it, it's pretty weird that a typing device and a desktop button/icon pointer are considered the definitive way to play games.

Only basement dwelling grognard Quake players think FPS games can't be played with a controller. Most game don't even use auto-aim you goofs, that was just Halo.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

VideoGames posted:

some retarded coworker who said he was in a bunch of MLG events ( and a microsoft ambassador??) refused to accept the superiority of kbm because controller "takes more skill". using aluminum foil in place of a skillet to fry eggs takes more skill too but you're retarded if you do it.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 19, 2014

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

psyman posted:

FPS games are about more than aiming, there is nothing that makes them inherently specific to mouse and keyboard control. That's just what became the de facto standard back in the mid-90's, but when you step back and actually look at it, it's pretty weird that a typing device and a desktop button/icon pointer are considered the definitive way to play games.

Only basement dwelling grognard Quake players think FPS games can't be played with a controller. Most game don't even use auto-aim you goofs, that was just Halo.

Halo is not the only fps that assists you with aim. Halo 2 was one of the only ones with an aggressive "auto-aim", but every controller fps I can think of has sticky aim and aim assist.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

OkieMurse posted:

Halo is not the only fps that assists you with aim. Halo 2 was one of the only ones with an aggressive "auto-aim", but every controller fps I can think of has sticky aim and aim assist.

Well BF: Bad Company 2 and BF3 definitely don't have auto-aim in my experience, but maybe aim assist which is like a gaming mouse DPI-switching effect where the sensitivity automatically lowers when the crosshair is over a target.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

psyman posted:

Well BF: Bad Company 2 and BF3 definitely don't have auto-aim in my experience, but maybe aim assist which is like a gaming mouse DPI-switching effect where the sensitivity automatically lowers when the crosshair is over a target.

yes most fpses on console have this.
remmeber when microsoft had that game where pc users played alongside xbox users and had to stop because those with controllers were getting obliterated? its just the way it is man

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

The one point I will concede on gamepads is analog movement. I can't honestly think of anything else they are better at than k+m.

Both modes have a pretty similar number of buttons available to the fingers while moving and aiming. Both have analog aim.

Controller had analog movement so that you can move and strafe any increment slower than 100% that you want.

Mouse has more precise aim while maintaining a fast look speed. You can snap your wrist a good distance and spin 360 degrees or move a tiny bit and snipe easily.

I know which advantage I'd rather have in a fps.

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

Wormskull posted:

eranged. Hell, much love to a gamer, but come on. Seriously? What are your thoughts?

It's some real messed up poo poo.

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I just watched a Giant Bomb Quickload of borderlands where he was playing and it had the 360 buttons on the screen and then I seen steam achievements pop up and I made a jackie chan/AVGN hybrid face.

Nobody ever said the Giantbomb crew was good at vidya.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 19, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

OkieMurse posted:

The one point I will concede on gamepads is analog movement. I can't honestly think of anything else they are better at than k+m.

Both modes have a pretty similar number of buttons available to the fingers while moving and aiming. Both have analog aim.

Controller had analog movement so that you can move and strafe any increment slower than 100% that you want.

Mouse has more precise aim while maintaining a fast look speed. You can snap your wrist a good distance and spin 360 degrees or move a tiny bit and snipe easily.

I know which advantage I'd rather have in a fps.

Yeah, same. Tbh I don't think analog movement is very useful; I can't think of situations in which you need more than 8-directional movement (and you can just move the camera to get the movement vector you want anyway) or more than the run/walk options present in most games.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The perfect controls are: right hand mouse, left hand one of those mini-keyboards with macro keys and an analog thumbstick.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

People who play real games on a PC with a m+k and insist on it are also retards

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I only use m+k :colbert:

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

i played it with a mouse and keyboard though because suck my cock if you expect me to play a pc game with a controller so i basically fought the controls the whole game

look at this loving retard

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They should of made it more PC compatible.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I played Dark Souls 1 with KB/M.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I played Dark Souls 1 with KB/M.

:hellyeah:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ForeverSmug posted:

look at this loving retard

stop projecting

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Lamebot posted:

stop projecting

"putting things inside my rear end is Very good" -you

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Wormskull posted:

To be fair the interface in Blands sucks so much on pc and it's pretty clear the playtesting and balance all took place on consoles with controllers you may as well use controller.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 19, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
To be honest you shouldn't play bland

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Falsum posted:

To be honest you shouldn't play bland

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

the one thing that makes me envious of console fpsers is they probably dont have to deal with mega pro snipers nearly as often, i think going somewhere on the map and suddenly dying from some guy you can't hear or see is not very fun

same

i prefer controllers 'cause its nice to game from a couch vOv

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

same

i prefer controllers 'cause its nice to game from a couch vOv

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I remember when I played Blops 2, the entire PC thread migrated to xbox and used xim3 to wipe the floor with everyone, which is pretty cool, but they all pretended it was because the PC community was bad and filled with hackers, rather than the awesome feeling they got when pwning people with a massive advantage.

• Locked thread