Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Always nice to have an update showing why cliff racers are so beloved by the TES community. :haw:

Mikl posted:

Petition to rename the thread "Oh Give Me A Home, Where The Cliff Racers Roam" :allears:
Seconding that. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Thirded!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Hold on to that staff for relevant rank if you ever get there. And have a relevant video on everyone's favourite pest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHpLjEOXEo

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Petition to rename the thread "Oh Give Me A Home, Where The Cliff Racers Roam" :allears:

GuyUpNorth posted:

big swarm of nope

To quote the rescue ship commander in Event Horizon: "We're leaving".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I can't believe I don't know or remember that staff. That's pretty awesome.

It's probs something to do with me being a dick and getting Goldbrand first every playthrough.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh give me a home, where the silt-striders roam, and the sky is cliff racers all day...

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh give me a home, where the silt-striders roam, and the sky is cliff racers all day...

... where seldom is heard a kind enough word, and the ash storms keep howling away.

Home in Morrowind, where the scribs and kwama do play;
Where seldom is heard a kind enough word, and the ash storms keep howling away.

Yes, give me the bright Solstheim snow so white and the werewolves and werebears will roam;
Oh, give me old Thirsk where the Skaal quench their thirst and the coastline all covered with snow.

The Dwemer was squeezed from this part of the East, he's likely no more to return,
Instead we see the steam robots run free in the deeps where their fires still burn.

Oh, give me the hills and the scratching of quills and the rich ebony in the ground;
Yes, give me a handful of slaves I can drive and the nice shiny gems to be found.

Oh, give me magic and sword that I nicked to bag loot for my mushroom home;
Then give me the Nord on the side of the road and the Ascadian Isles to roam.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

I can't believe I don't know or remember that staff. That's pretty awesome.

It's probs something to do with me being a dick and getting Goldbrand first every playthrough.

According to UESP: There are only five copies of this staff. Edwinna Elbert, Procyon Nigilius and Anirne, all carry one of them. The other two can be found in the Urshilaku Burial Caverns and Ramimilk. You will need to acquire one of these staves to advance to the rank of Wizard within the Mages Guild (see A Wizard's Staff quest).

So I just completed a later guild objective without meaning to. Sweet. Plus it's made of ebony, which makes it as high-tier as you can get without going off looking for a unique weapon like Goldbrand or Mehrunes' Razor.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Daedric comes after ebony, then there's the artefacts.

I think a plain, un-enchanted Daedric katana was usually my weapon of choice. Enchantments could run out, be reflected, absorbed, etc.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Except daedric stuff is usually just ebony forged with daedra hearts :P

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

According to UESP: There are only five copies of this staff. Edwinna Elbert, Procyon Nigilius and Anirne, all carry one of them. The other two can be found in the Urshilaku Burial Caverns and Ramimilk. You will need to acquire one of these staves to advance to the rank of Wizard within the Mages Guild (see A Wizard's Staff quest).

So I just completed a later guild objective without meaning to. Sweet. Plus it's made of ebony, which makes it as high-tier as you can get without going off looking for a unique weapon like Goldbrand or Mehrunes' Razor.

A Wizard's Staff (has a knob on the end)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

A Wizard's Staff (has a knob on the end)
Useful when buggering hedgehogs.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

quote:

I showed %Name my Wizard's Staff.

:pervert:

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

ScreamingLlama posted:

Except daedric stuff is usually just ebony forged with daedra hearts :P
… which empowers it with the spirit of the daedroth whose heart you used. Killing them not enough? Bind your fallen foes into items and use them to smite your opponents! :black101:

By the way, should my word not be enough for you, pick up a copy of Darkest Darkness sometime.

:iia: :allears: Conjuration. :iit: :magical:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GrimRevenant posted:

… which empowers it with the spirit of the daedroth whose heart you used. Killing them not enough? Bind your fallen foes into items and use them to smite your opponents! :black101:

By the way, should my word not be enough for you, pick up a copy of Darkest Darkness sometime.

:iia: :allears: Conjuration. :iit: :magical:

Go one better. Literally turn a demon into a hat and keep it forever.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's what soul gems are for.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

That's what soul gems are for.

Also Conjuration's Bound Items in Morrowind is described in you forcing a daedra of some description to appear in your world as a piece of equipment you can use.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter XI: Flight Of The Sorceress

I manage to avoid the cliff racers by ducking into a nearby mine.

Unfortunately, the people inside the mine aren't terribly happy to see me.

I make a new Mark so I can save my physical progress, then cast Almsivi Intervention.

Oddly enough, I end up in Balmora. Oh well, I can check up on my old guild mates.

Sadly, the warhammer doesn't sell for much, even at full stamina. I need to find a Mercantile trainer.

My sister orc comes through for me again!

So does my favourite Khajiit.

After my long hard slog, I deserve to rest.

For later that day, I shall level up! This time, I assign points to the top three attributes, which means more carry weight and more magicka, both of which I sorely need.

Back in Shushishi, I try out my new Conjuration spell. Ewww.

The thing I summoned is ugly as sin and smells like death, but it's dramatically effective at pulverizing anyone who means me harm.

The summoning spell leaves me low on magicka, though, so I call on the Scamp Belt Brotherhood to take on the Nord. Tough customer, that guy.

Great. Nord cooties.

Is your brown rotting? There's a smell spell for that.

This staff is a kickass weapon, but it does need a fair amount of maintenance. It's a great way to build my Armourer and Enchanting skills.

Remember, kids: take everything that isn't nailed down, then take the nails.

I needed to break out my Feather spell to get all the loot back to Balmora.

No need for complex unlocking cantrips when a simple turn of the key will do.

I am Daenarys Stormborn of House Targaryen Bjorca gra-Ghoonush, First Of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Breaker Of Chains, Kicker Of Asses and Taker Of Names.

Deeper inside the mine is some more loot...

...and some more slaves to be freed.

While dropping off the loot, I decide I can part with this ring because it's buggy as hell and actually rather useless. I'm sure I'll find a better one somewhere; Vvardenfell is a big place.

After cleaning out Shushishi, it's time to face the scourge.

Bjorca: Choke on it!
Cliff Racer: Bwaaaaak!

Bjorca: Eat ebony, you flying piece of leather!

Having dispensed with the airborne vermin, it's time to put my plan in motion: getting to Nchuleftingth quickly...

...by getting airborne myself.

Remember when I mentioned fighting in midair? Let me show you how that works. GET OUT OF IT YOU FLAPPY BASTARD

Gotta go higher. Higher!

Still not high enough, apparently.

Only one use left and this thing takes AGES to recharge without a soul gem.

Night falls as I fly through the Ashlands at the speed of a paper aeroplane.

Getting mobbed on the ground by cliff racers is bad enough; at least you can run for cover somewhere. Getting mobbed while flying affords one no such luxury.

Bjorca: Heart racing... vision blurring... rage... taking... over...

Bjorca: RRRRAAAAAAHHHHHH

Having killed half a dozen cliff racers in a paroxysm of blind rage, I'm forced to land in a rocky nook in the middle of the Ashlands before my stamina evaporates.

I only just make it.

Mark, Intervention.

I'm now closer to the Ald'ruhn temple, so that's where the power of the Tribunal drops me.

After paying my respects, I grab a spare bed and sleep away the adrenal fatigue.

Next morning, I Recall into the middle of a heavy ash storm.

I can't wait it out, though, I have a job to do.

Not only do I have almost zero visibility, I get attacked by more cliff racers.

As I descend and look for shelter, I can't help but think I've been here before.

Turns out I have!

Oh, right. I killed some guy here.

I pass the time by looting the place and killing the remaining inhabitants.

Unlike the Telvanni mage, the rest of Sulipund's retainers go down easily.

I Mark here, because I intend to make this place my home once it's been cleaned out.

I get attacked by another Dark Brother and the Ald'ruhn smith gives me a good price for his armour.

Back at Sulipund, Telvanni retainers are dying like flies.

Finally, the place is mine.

I make a few abortive attempts at potion mixing, but few of the ingredients I have are compatible.

Eventually, I just stuff the rest of the reagents into a handy chest and resolve to come back when I have more.

Outside, I take to the air once again.

I'm just over halfway to my destination. Wizard staff, don't fail me now!

I go even higher this time, my helmeted head poking up above the ash haze.

I'd better make it this time, my staff is almost out of power and I'm all out of soul gems.

The staff's last charge dissipates and I make it safely to the ground. Fortunately, I'm not too far from where I need to be.

I fight off another couple of cliff racers, charge up a hill and finally I am greeted by the elegant crumbling spires of Nchuleftingth.

I'm going to chill for a while and let my stuff recharge. That report isn't going anywhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, while I suppose heading for Nchuleftingh the direct way is laudable, asking around a bit would reveal there's actually a little town to the southeast of it. With a Strider.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Well, while I suppose heading for Nchuleftingh the direct way is laudable, asking around a bit would reveal there's actually a little town to the southeast of it. With a Strider.

What, and miss out on all the madcap adventure? Stop trying to dull down my LP. Besides, the flying bit was fun.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You were flying around everywhere with a 1pt levitation effect? You must be much more patient than I am, because with 1pt that is slooooooow. Okay in a pinch if you absolutely have to get somewhere you couldn't get to otherwise, but I personally favoured using a jump spell over levitation. Getting both a decent magnitude (translates to speed) and duration on a levitation spell without it being too difficult/expensive to cast wasn't really feasible, as I remember it.

A jump spell is much faster, and you can make a high magnitude, low duration one and then cast it just before jumping. Breaking your fall is the obvious problem then. If you think you can get the timing right, you can cast a levitation spell while in mid-air (using an enchantment would be easier I guess, since they trigger instantly), or - my preferred approach - get a constant effect 1pt slowfall enchantment on something.

... I do miss spell creation and (more flexible) enchantment in Skyrim.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Spell creation is a lifesaver for Telvanni when default levitation costs nearly all your magicka and requires insane Alteration to reliably pull off. 5 points for 30 seconds? Very, very doable and I always do this to avoid digging leviation potions from somewhere.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Having a bit more stamina might have improved your potion-making abilities. :v:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Nah, it's cool. Let me just do these complex and delicate procedures right after jogging cross country all day. :alchemy fails:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Jump is the way to go. Start early in the game, that way your acrobatics increase along with your spellcasting ability. By the time you can reliably cast a jump that will hurt you, you'll have plenty of time for that "last second" slowfall spell. Levitation is for scrubs.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antistar01 posted:

You were flying around everywhere with a 1pt levitation effect? You must be much more patient than I am, because with 1pt that is slooooooow.

Patience is a virtue.

quote:

A jump spell is much faster, and you can make a high magnitude, low duration one and then cast it just before jumping. Breaking your fall is the obvious problem then. If you think you can get the timing right, you can cast a levitation spell while in mid-air (using an enchantment would be easier I guess, since they trigger instantly), or - my preferred approach - get a constant effect 1pt slowfall enchantment on something.

... I do miss spell creation and (more flexible) enchantment in Skyrim.

I just had a thought: would the effect from a Levitation potion and/or spell cast from magicka stack with the Wizard's Staff? If so, then there's the solution (albeit one that would require a lot of preparation).

Shbobdb posted:

Levitation is for scrubs.

Jumping is for rogues.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

Jumping is for rogues.
Two words: Icarian Flight.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I complained at the beginning of the LP about not actually being able to complete quests and using bullshit console codes to cover up poor decisions. I stand by that decision: I still think those things are wrong. That said, Bethesda games need some . . . modification, and we all seek our own ways to modify the experience. So, water under the bridge. However, using levitation rather than jump is just a scrub move. No dignity, no redemption there.

Trust me, first time I played Morrowind, I thought levitation 100 was the poo poo. It isn't. There is jump. There is only jump. It takes two seconds of getting used to and, trust me, it is totally worth it.

There are few ways to play Morrowind wrong. Using 1 levitation to travel any distance beyond up a mushroom shoot is one of those rare ways of doing it wrong.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

There are few ways to play Morrowind wrong. Using 1 levitation to travel any distance beyond up a mushroom shoot is one of those rare ways of doing it wrong.

You do realize I'm going to keep doing it now just to annoy you, right?

1PT LEVITATION FOREVER :P

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ScreamingLlama posted:

anilEhilated posted:

I don't see why you don't want to use it: just pop a cheap Slow-fall spell when you are about to hit the ground/fly above your destination and you are golden.
It will allow you to bypass hordes of cliffracers, at least. :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

Like others said I would be Mr Sneaky and enchant a light ring or underpants or shirt or something like that to have 1pt of Slowfall then learn Fort Acrobatics 10000 spell and jump around like a madman.

That or just go get the Boots of Blinding speed now. With your starsign you can actually just equip-unequip until the negative effect of them gets absorbed. It's a bit cheeky but works great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, the easiest way to abuse jump spells is simply to quicksave/quickload before landing. You lose all momentum on that.
Funnily enough, I played through Morrowind with about fifteen characters, but never once used the boots of blinding speed. Never seemed worth it, even with the workarounds.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

ScreamingLlama posted:

I just had a thought: would the effect from a Levitation potion and/or spell cast from magicka stack with the Wizard's Staff? If so, then there's the solution (albeit one that would require a lot of preparation).

Yes, they do stack, like feather potions & spells etc.

Also, cheers for playing the game your way. I find it a lot more interesting to see approaches differing from what 'everyone' does.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

ScreamingLlama posted:

But, on the other hand, someone wisely, and I do believe they inadvertently referenced Cicero when they said it, said "All the sick mad hops are so fun, Acro 1000, you know what's to be done."

Cicero, of course, was the world's first freestylist.

Learn your history people.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Old Grey Guy posted:

Also, cheers for playing the game your way. I find it a lot more interesting to see approaches differing from what 'everyone' does.

:D

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, the easiest way to abuse jump spells is simply to quicksave/quickload before landing. You lose all momentum on that.

This is actually canon, no joke.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is actually canon, no joke.

CHIM as gently caress?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really churning out these updates, aren't I? I might even catch up to Lizard Wizard's Oblivion LP at this rate.

Chapter XII: It Came From Nchuleftingth

Morrowind's wildlife obviously isn't terribly keen on lollygagging.

Finally! Let's get the report, maybe swipe a few artefacts, and scoot.

At least it's better lit than the last ruin.

To the right, beyond another Steel And Iron Door I find my contact standing around with his daughter.

Bjorca: Yes, Edwinna sent me. What's the hold-up on that excavation report?

Senilias Cadiusus:

Bjorca: Missing how?

Senilias Cadiusus:

Bjorca: *sigh* I suppose I'll have to.

On the left path from the entrance are these three doors.

The left one is just a sleeping alcove.

Ditto the right one. Better try the middle.

Whatever pattern they were testing, it's been going on for aeons.

"Testing of pattern" turns out to be a room full of more Dwemer hot-rod-powered whirlygigs.

Bjorca: Weergh! *cough, gag*

Bjorca: Argh! The poo poo I put up with for gold.

The third crank opens up a stairway to the lower levels.

THERE ARE NOISES DOWN HERE

Bjorca: Have at you! *smash*

Bjorca: At least you're easier to kill than cliff racers. *thump, crash*

The lava pit room is a dead end, so down the stairs I go.

Well, that didn't end well for him.

Better hang on to this, it looks valuable.

Cripes, why does Dwarven stuff have to be so freaking heavy?

Considering the grief I went through to get here, I think I deserve a bit of loot.

Ah, the thing I came here for in the first place! Excellent.

SWEET

I could always use a good poison.

Sorry about your friend, but I did get the report. I think Edwinna's waited for it long enough, don't you?

Maybe I'll join you. Who knows what's down there?

I zip back down to the lower levels in search of more plunder WHAT IN OBLIVION IS THAT

I'm getting attacked by a Dwemer! Figures they'd leave behind their vengeful ghosts along with everything else.

Eewww, gooey.

Unfortunately, I'm loaded down with other stuff, so I regretfully put it back.

After Loading up with all the loot I can carry, I exit the ruin. But since I'm out of magicka and staff charges, I hit the road in hopes of finding a settlement.

I wish I didn't have a kill this thing, because it's just so damned cute. It's like a little dinosaur!

Oh well.

I'm curious as to what this Argonian is doing out here in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

He won't talk to me, though.

Never in my life have I ever been so glad to see a road sign.

Unfortunately, an alit decides to chase me off course until I manage to pull the right summoning spell out of my rear end and call upon the Scamp Brotherhood.

Scamp uses Pwn! It's super effective!

That dagger was at full condition until I used it on the wild guar. I'm glad I opted for steel armour back in Chapter I.

Great. Rat cooties. Nothing Rilm's Cure can't fix...

I have no loving idea where I'm going. I'm just going to see where the road takes me.

Just as I reach Azura's Coast, I get to see how the Scamp Brotherhood deals with cliff racers.

That yellow square across the water is Wolverine Hall, which is part of the Guild teleportation network.

I'll be damned if I'm going swimming, though.

My flight is occasionally interrupted by foraging for reagents.

And a bit of mudcrab hunting.

The staff is low on juice, though, so I park myself atop a mushroom and rest for a while.

By the time I'm ready to fly again, it's pissing down. I hope I don't get struck by lightning.

Fortunately, I make it the rest of the way and land on the upper ramparts of Wolverine Hall without further incident.

Ahh, civilization.

A bit of shopping before I return.

Ald'ruhn, and don't spare the magicka.

Bjorca: Got it right here. The team sends their apologies, but at least one person died in the making of this report.

Edwinna:

Bjorca: What's my next assignment?

Edwinna:

This time, she's sending me far north to a second ruin mentioned in the excavation report. After selling the rest of my loot, I swiftly depart for Maar Gan.

Nix Hounds are no match for the SB.

It's after dark by the time I reach Maar Gan.

I head right, pass underneath the siltstrider and head north.

Then I make the mistake of heading right when I should have gone left and now I have bandits to deal with.

Now taking the correct path, straight down a foyada. I'm passing directly by the western side of Red Mountain.

More bandits. They take a bit of hammering to go down.

I'll take that, thanks.

I appropriate the bandits' campfire and settle down for a while.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Poisons don't do poo poo in Morrowind sadly. Except make for something to sell.

• Locked thread