Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's Install Morrowind!
Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you mean by "Morrowind's random encounters scripting" in the last post of the last thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

I mean the script or whatever doodad that makes random characters appear on the side of the road, like the Dunmer you guys wanted me to kill. It doesn't make the same characters appear twice, which ruins the whole idea of "I'll just play through again until I get to the point I was at before everything went to Oblivion".
So yeah, this is a thing that doesn't exist. If the pilgrim isn't there, you're looking in the wrong place.
You could seriously do some homework before you start talking poo poo like this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, since it was the supposed reason you restarted the thread...
edit: One would think people being able to see your pictures would work in LPix' favor.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The whole beginning sequence is great; the entire deal with starting in the bowels of the ship, taking steps to define yourself in order to finally embark into the whole wide world... They did take the whole "birth of a character" thing seriously. Oblivion or Skyrim have nothing on that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's the fur helmet? You need to get the fur helmet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest turning back and signing up in the Mage's Guild, their first quest takes place around Seyda Neen anyway. And they're mostly really helpful folks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's a way to make Oblivion and Skyrim more enjoyable. Quite clever, actually.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also a pretty drat good shortsword you can get for cheap off a pawn shop in Ald'ruhn. All it takes is a bit of repair.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Go do the joining/guild dues job. It's two quests in one journey! Efficient!
Also, actually reading those reports is kind of useful, they contain basic potion recipes. And the real reward is actually Ajiira being one of the better fences in the game, well-located and buys alchemy ingredients and drugs.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 25, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spoilering just in case Recall teleports you to the place you Marked, Almsivi Intervention teleports you to the nearest Tribunal temple. All extremely useful stuff - that can be easily gotten on items.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the in-universe fast travel system by using vehicles and striders as opposed to plot bullshit teleportation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't remind me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, at this point you should start to realize that Ranis Athrys' orders are kind of fishy and she's a total bitch.
Anyway, help him, this encounter is kind of funny.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Ranys' mobster tendencies are one of the reasons why Ajira tells you to go around her and start working for Edwinna in Ald'ruhn instead. I'm fairly sure that's the intended way since the first couple of quests there are really simple and net an amazingly useful reward.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Including something that constitutes hard game abuse and should not be used ever. I mean sure, Morrowind is pretty easy to break, but this thing in particular breaks it mindlessly.
edit: VVV It's a really loving broken merchant

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 5, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In Oblivion smart people realized that the only skill that actually did anything was Athletics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, move to Ald'ruhn and start working for the guild there, the first couple quests are really easy and the reward is very much worth it.
Oh, funny thing about that raw ebony you were pawning off for a laughable price; one thing that affects the costs is the trader's disposition towards you. Basically you could've unloaded it all at Ajira for more money and less walking.
She's got restocking potions, about 800 gold and she'll even buy skooma; combine that with being located right at a teleporter and you get one of the most useful merchants in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

The Tribunal have done far more for Bjorca than any Divine or Daedric Prince ever has.
Now this would be a great ironic comment given the plot of the game. Anyway, I'm seconding the Redoran suggestion, because as great as the Telvanni are, they are fairly out there and not really useful for anything. Plus you're going to meet them all during the main quest anyway.
Also, Telvanni quest lines aren't too interesting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 21, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really. They're sneaks, slavers and profiteers, probably the most boring of the bunch. There's really only one rather noteworthy member and you'll run into him in the main quest anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A little thing you seem to gloss over - the amulets of Divine and Almsivi intervention are actually what you get from Edwinna for her fetchquests. It'd also help to remember where Jobasha's is, the place will be used later. And he's got a lot of books on display and doesn't mind browsing, so there's lore, skills and even money to be made since the shop's layout is extremely thieving-friendly.
Kinda disappointed you didn't explore Ald'ruhn, it's a fairly interesting town. Then again, you will be back.
edit: Oh, now I remember what he missed. You should really go back and check that pillar you screenshotted so nicely from up close.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 27, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're also kinda important to this game's plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

Too bad they're extinct (though that is hotly debated both in-universe and by fans).
I'm so tempted to drop a huge spoiler here. Basically, it's a good idea to not debate this topic until you've beaten Morrowind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Red what? I blocked out the rampant stupidity of Oblivion and Skyrim's "worldbuilding". Are you seriously telling me people are debating to what happened to a single character as opposed to metaphysical fuckery involved with the first event?
edit: Well, i guess that's how Bethesda's target audience is.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 9, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, total conversions called Oblivion and Skyrim aren't.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, while I suppose heading for Nchuleftingh the direct way is laudable, asking around a bit would reveal there's actually a little town to the southeast of it. With a Strider.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

Jumping is for rogues.
Two words: Icarian Flight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, the easiest way to abuse jump spells is simply to quicksave/quickload before landing. You lose all momentum on that.
Funnily enough, I played through Morrowind with about fifteen characters, but never once used the boots of blinding speed. Never seemed worth it, even with the workarounds.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gods. And they're dicks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Absorb Health is probably the most absurdly broken thing you can put on a weapon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thing about is that if I remember correctly, enemies can't resist it since it's a drain attribute.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
CE restore fatigue is usually one of the first enchanted items I make; it's extremely useful and doesn't break the game. CE healing, well, that's immortality given the lack of enemy AI.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the best way to get soul gems is raiding smuggler lairs. You can usually find at least a couple in there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, GET TO THE loving MASK ALREADY.
People like you are the reason why Bethesda doesn't bother with subtlety anymore and all the post-Morrowind TES games are poo poo.
Well, it's more likely to be people like Todd Howard, but still, go check that mask.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a pretty important question: did you give money to that elf who was asking for it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, seeing you level up and not go for those sweet sweet x5 modifiers creates some... mixed feelings. Anyway. You're probably going to be pretty drat overleveled for a lot of the main quest by now so catching up on that is a good idea: a lot of it is more or less tutorial stuff.
As for throwing weapons, yup, yet another reason why Morrowind is the last good TES game. With a bit of setup they're the best option for ranged combat there is.

Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out yet with the leveling up - the xNumber shows how many points the attribute will increase by. Having none there means it goes up by one. Luck can't ever go up by more than one since it has no skills attributed with it - not much point in leveling that up since there's literally no way to do it in an efficient manner.

edit: VVV Well, Luck is one, since you can't really get a noticable difference without wasting a lot of levels.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You should be able to charm them off that but yeah, it's generally easier to avoid getting to 0.
Itīs still way better than how Oblivion handled persuation, mind you.

• Locked thread