Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Arrow has definitely spoiled me, too. With Grimm, it's now to the point where thinking about what I'd do differently is as much or more fun than actually watching, and it mostly centers around speeding up the narrative and tightening the scope and focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Orphan Black moved at Mach-10 and look what that got you. A meandering as all hell second season which had maybe 5 really good moments total. Most of which involved Helena.

But that's just a matter of planning far enough ahead.

Grimm's writers have said they do not plan ahead at all. :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Not that I don't think Wu absolutely deserves to be clued in, but Juliet is awesome*.

*as long as she doesn't have amnesia

Yeah, it took them long enough but she's finally a real character. I said it before, I'll say it again, they handled Wu like a bunch of assholes. Should've brought him into the fold then.

Now there's probably going to be some awful you let me thinking I was crazy arc or something

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

... it seems a bit ridiculous that the writers turn to Adalind for a lot of the main Grimm-problems that we've seen.

Adalind is the Avatar of Lazy-Writing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Grimms are bad ju-ju for Wesen. If ingesting her blood would have nullified his Wesen-ness, what did absorbing her memories do?

I think Octopus Head failed a saving throw vs madness.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I really think the show'd be twice as good is they tightened up the scope.

Constraining Wesen/Royal global geopolitics to a scale manageable by A Few Cops & Friends is where all the awkwardness comes from, by my estimation. If they leave it at Renard making some calls and using his pull to establish Portland as a neutral city, it'd make for a cool atmosphere.

It'd also establish Portland as a Casablanca kind of deal. The wesen and royal crowd seem pretty eurocentric so what's one port city in the American hinterlands? You'd have a bastard royal, two grimm lieutenants and some henchmen to manage things. You'd also have a reason for the bizarrely high concentration of wesen.

And if they went that direction, they could write forever about building an underground city-state.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

johntfs posted:

One thing I loved was Renardmom's declaration "To beat a hexenbiest like Adalind, you need a hexenbiest like me." At which point we cut to Adalind freaked out and stuck in her cell. It was almost like the show itself responding with "Why?"

Seriously. Time Stop is a lvl 9 wizard spell and that's some serious poo poo.

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair they deserve literally everything that happens to them for this go round. You don't just take someone's kid and lie to them, then let them wander around half mad with grief. If she's so evil and/or incompetent you can't trust her not to gently caress everything up, have the decency to kill her. At a certain point you have to learn that throwing Adalind under the bus just ends with her going insane with rage and blowing your world up in revenge.

Nick & Co.'s To-Do List:
  • Brief Wu
  • Apologize to Wu
  • Buy Wu a fruit basket
  • Kill Adalind

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Keep in mind that if you kill Adalind, baby'll gently caress you up.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Nick, Civil Rights hero, seems like a fun angle to take.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
She needs to be Chuck Cunningham-ed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Her scenes would've played better set up as Enhanced Interrogation: Cast Confusion, Cast Drain Intelligence, Cast Maze.

Then she's dumb, bewildered and bouncing around a labyrinthine Skinner Box designed to strip her sanity and it's: A) Given a solid pretext, B) Appropriately high-powered for the royals.

By the way, I'm thinking the show might be better a little D&D-ed up. What do you all think?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's my understanding the writers don't really plan ahead, and Adalind just looks like spackle filling in the problems which come up when you're writing on a schedule by the seat of your pants.

Adalind needs to be replaced by an espresso maker and a corkboard in the writer's room.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm just glad they didn't drag Nick with no powers on any longer. Also could somebody remind me who Josh is?

I think a dying Grimm wanted to give his key to the nearest non-rear end in a top hat Grimm he could find: Nick. John is that Grimm's son.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

hollylolly posted:

Why does everyone keep coming up with the idea that Trubel is going to be written out? I'm going to go against the flow and say she isn't.:colbert:

I hope she sticks around and starts getting bit parts in action movies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bored posted:

Yes. She is loving awesome to watch fight.

She's actually certified in stage combat!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bored posted:

She gives the moves weight, is what I mean, if that makes sense.

Absolutely, it looks like if she missed there'd be a stunt guy taking the rest of the day off. It's much, much better than seeing another poor actress in high heels trying not to fall over during high kicks.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 3, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe they'll give her and Josh screentime? I'd be pretty happy if they ripped off Supernatural for a few episodes and then had some 'Filmed on location in Philadelphia!' action.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

johntfs posted:

Digital databases/libraries aren't necessarily fully secure and there's probably quite a few secrets in the Grimm journals that need to stay secret. Magic aside, it's pretty goddam difficult to "hack" paper.

Who said it had to be networked? You'd need to physical access then, which compromises books all the same.

Point being that Team Grimm needs an IT guy. I wonder how Wu is with computers?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And they really need to straighten things out with Wu.

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
PreviewChat: Oh, god damnit. Read him in already, assholes!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope they don't try to franchise her off by giving her a happy middle-class existence in Phillie(?) with John. I'm still hoping the writer's'll develop Portland as a shadow city-state run by Renard and his human and Grimm lieutenants. :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've been taliking about the Casablanca/Lisbon vibe since the first season :colbert:

Thanks! I probably got the idea from you, then. It's really good.

I wonder how we could get it to the writers...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
However it works, I just hope to god it isn't some dumb bullshit

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope the Hexenbeast thing's purely visual.

It's easy to rationalize with, "Form resists change." Her body snapped back, but she's only human. She adopted Adalind's wesen-character but what's there to snap back? Nothing, so it lingers.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Martout posted:

I won't presume to know what the hell the writers are thinking though, they are all over the place and plenty of things are wildly inconsistent.

I wonder if they like Soap Operas. Those things have crazy writing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Grimms are reputedly terrifying but Nick's kind of just a brawler. I figure he's got to have a number of latent powers that just haven't been activated yet and zombie-mode's probably one of them. His super-hearing's pretty cool, too.

What's he displayed so far, anyways?

He's got:
  • Grimm Vision
  • Grimm Fitness
  • +5 vs. Wesen
  • Super Hearing
  • Zombie Mode

Am I missing anything?

Edit: Almost forgot to say holy poo poo, Rosalee

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Haha, I like the notion of impeccable handwriting and sketches as a Grimm power. Makes sense as an implication of enhanced fine motor control, too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I liked the no nonsense telekinesis. The dude starts to conk out because she's poking at his brain and then *pew* the back of his skull goes flying. It was like gross slapstick.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If I were doing the Closed Captioning I would've put in [Pew!].

Also, I often run Netflix or whatever else in the corner of my ~palatial~ monitor with the volume low and the CC turned on. CC is often very terrible. I wouldn't trust it for guidance.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That lady was playing it fast and loose with health and safety. Hasn't she ever heard of pass-through?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

That house seriously needs cheaper furniture at the rate they destroy it. That's like the eighth time poo poo has gone down there.

They need to start buying furniture designed for the morbidly obese. That stuff can handle straight up tonnage.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Wu looks like he's about to drop Blue Steel

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

That was some terrible, terrible acting at that end.

Reminded me of this anecdote I heard once about Bruce Campbell sending back SFX work with the note, "make it more B-movie."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Biomute posted:

I dunno why they're suddenly courting the daytime/soap-opera crowd.

I think they just don't have enough gas in the tank. Writing's hard work, but formulaic writing's easier.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Plus, royal blood gets around. If you're of European descent, you've got a king in your background. Hell, Pocahontas, an upper crust Indian, ended up in England and now has a lot of descendants so now there's a very large number of thoroughly white people kicking around today who have traces of European and Native American blue blood.

So, if concentration is a factor, anything you could do with the blood of a Royal should be doable with the blood of 200 homeless men, and I don't see why Royal blood should be anything but a time saver.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If Claire Coffee has blackmail material on the writers, they should just have Adalind's surprise twin sister, Linda, kill Adalind and join Team Grimm.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

BarbarousBertha posted:

I am kind of looking forward to Juliette the Hexenbiest now that she has Adalind's grimoire. Juliette does not gently caress around when it comes to research and problem-solving when she is in her right mind.
Seriously. Veterinary school is no joke.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

The preview was mind-numbingly stupid. They're actual going in the worst possible direction with the show that they could've.

Maybe... maybe they're just all out of shits to give. :smith:

Edit: God, I got through that episode in about 10 minutes. These writers need to be replaced.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

well, can hardly wait for the explanation why that thing in the preview for next week happens.

You know, we've put up with a lot of crap for this show but I'm not sure I can keep watching if what they showed will actually happen

It would be some grade-A, "I want out of my contract," writing.

• Locked thread