Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hcreight posted:

I'd love for them to defy expectations and not drag powerless Nick out for more than an episode or two. But I have no faith that they will.

Prove me wrong, Grimm writers!

Nick'll get his mojo back sooner or later. For my part, I am eager to bear witness to the glorious smackdown that will ensue when Juliette meets up with Adalind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

Juliette seems to have had a serious turnaround since the end of the last season. Maybe I'm having some selective memory issues here, but I seem to recall her being very Done with everything. Now she's being very defensive about what happened.

With Juliette I think it's mostly a boundary thing. When we meet her and Nick it's pretty clear that they're in a long-term, committed relationship and probably have been for some time. Even if they aren't married, Juliette is kind of a "cop's wife." Once she finally got clued into the whole Grimm/Wesen thing, she was able to look at it from that aspect - that Nick was essentially kind of a special sort of cop. In some ways the revelation of the Grimm stuff made her relationship with Nick even better. She's friends with Monroe and Rosalee. She can even sometimes help Nick with his cases by using her knowledge of science and veterinary medicine. Life was good.

The came the latter part of last season. Nick's mother brought Adalind Schade, the hexenbitch who turned most of the previous season into Juliette's personal coma/amnesia hell, into her and Nick home to stay with them without asking. That didn't last, but then Nick decided to bring Trubel, a pretty, troubled, somewhat murderous young woman to stay in their home also without asking. Then Adalind stole Juliette's form and used it to seduce Nick in their own bed. Finally, Nick's boss was shot in their house by a guy who was then beheaded, also in their home.

Just look at Juliette's face as she's walking through the house looking at the blood, bullet holes, messed up bed and her nightgown (which Adalind wore). Her anger and resentment have coalesced into a cold fury at Adalind as the author of these continual violation of the sanctity of her home. It's been made fairly clear that Juliette is a somewhat territorial person. Violating Juliette's personal or living space is a sure way to draw her anger as witness what she did to the ogre in season 1 and the abuser in season 3 (and for that matter her driving off an obsessed Renard with gunfire in Season 2).

What we saw over the previous episode was Juliette's resentment of these repeated violations go from a generalized anger toward the universe at large (and certain people in it) to a cold, practical determination that Adalind will be continuing threat unless and until she's put down like a sick animal. And who better to put down a sick animal than a veterinarian?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

I'm kind of interested to see what would happen if Adalind DID come back, honestly. Juliette seems like she'd be kind of scary pissed off. Don't forget, she may only be a vet but that means she has sharp objects and sedatives at her disposal, and the knowledge to use them effectively....

I could see Juliette drawing some blood from Trubel and spiking it with pentobarbital (which vets use to euthanize animals). That way she removes Adalind's powers and makes sure she won't survive to get them back again.

On another Juliette thing, I noticed she made a point of touching or stroking Trubel right before she was questioned by police. It seemed odd. Then I realized that was probably exactly the sort of thing that Juliette would do to calm a nervous animal.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I can see Adalind's side of thing. I get that she wants to get her baby back and doesn't really care all that much about the larger Royals/Resistance situation. I sympathize with Adalind to a degree. However I also see Juliette's side of things. Adalind has seduced and tried to murder Hank. She put Juliette herself into a coma whose aftereffects almost destroyed her life with Nick. Finally, she stole Juliette's form, seduced Nick and robbed him of his abilities.

So, sympathy or no, I can see validity to Juliette's apparent attitude of "next time I see that bitch, I'm gonna put her in the ground." Because it's clear that Adalind isn't going to stop. She'll learn from the Royals that they don't have the baby. Obviously the best place to start looking for it is with Sean Renard and his "Grimmy gang." Which means that Adalind (and multiple royal thugs) will be heading to Portland to use trickery, threats and torture to learn the location of the baby. Which brings us back to however justified Adalind may feel her actions to be, Nick and company are correct to believe that she has to be stopped.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm kinda hoping somebody tells Juliet that maybe Nick should have his powers because she's sooorta being stupid and selfish. Hmm gee whiz you mean that dude that killed a bunch of our friends is totally defenseless now and won't see us coming at all? We'll just let him get on with life I guess. :downs:

It's a little stupid and selfish, but it's an understandable stupid and selfish. Juliette sees an opportunity to be shut of the danger and weirdness that's come into their lives since Nick's Grimmness activate. Plus, she's careful to reassure Monroe and Rosalee that they'd still be friends. That all said, however disingenuous it might have been, Juliette is right to say that it's ultimately Nick's decision and that he shouldn't be pressured into taking the cure.

Of course, event seem to moving into a place where he'll need to take the cure or have something really bad happen (like switching bodies with Adalind or somesuch).

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
"That is not normal." Oh, Hank, this is Portland. Of course it's normal for this show.

Also, Oh, joy, FBIrdwoman represents yet another secret organization with mysterious motives.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

I have every expectation that it's just the royals. Maybe different royals, but royals.

Seems like depowered Nick should be resolved soon(tm)--I don't think those two goons outside the spice shop are going to pose a threat to the three people inside, but we'll see I guess.

Well, the three people inside are Rosalee in her spice shop, Monroe, the bad-rear end Blutbad who loves Rosalee and a scary hexenbiest who used a two-headed snake-thing to bring her son back from the dead. No, I'm pretty you're right about the two doofs in hawkmasks not posing a threat to those three.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
One thing I loved was Renardmom's declaration "To beat a hexenbiest like Adalind, you need a hexenbiest like me." At which point we cut to Adalind freaked out and stuck in her cell. It was almost like the show itself responding with "Why?" I'd need to watch some Season 1 episode again, but has Adalind ever been clever or self-sufficient? She's mostly seemed to survive because of the resources/efforts of other people. I fully expect that in an upcoming episode, Adalind will show up at Nick and Juliette's home to talk to Nick and Juliette will just start beating her to death with a skillet. And then have to stop because hurting Adalind somehow hurts Nick because of the link.

Either that or Nick and Adalind will switch bodies and Juliette will end up sleeping with Adalind as Nick. That's the secret endgame of the show, isn't it? Adalind is going to literally gently caress every member of the main cast in one way or another.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

Keep in mind that if you kill Adalind, baby'll gently caress you up.

I don't know. Once she ended up with Kelly, the baby seemed to give not a single poo poo that Adalind existed.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Uh-oh, wife-beating Wesen. Looks like Juliette's gonna have to skillet a bitch.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
...and the golem will come back, kill the shithead and get loose.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
drat. I was hoping for more skillet-fu. Maybe next week.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Oh, God, Adalind is such a useless fucktard that I want her to drown and Claire Coffee to star in a sitcom about a demon lawyer or something.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Tell me about it. Whenever I see Adalind on my TV screen at this point, I want to not watch anymore. It's not that I think she's right or wrong or justified or unjustified, it's that I find her goddamned insufferably boring and even though I know she won't if she just drowned in the stairwell and we never mentioned her again I think the show would be better for it.

Also, Trubel is now pretty clear and away my favorite character. She's just... she's better at this than Nick, and when she inevitably gets written off the show I may just follow her because my interest probably can't sustain the writers giving up on another possibly interesting thing and headbanging on the reset button, again and again.

I remember I bristled a lot on other forums when a bunch of people jumped on Bitsie Tulloch for supposedly "needing acting lessons" and part of that was that I dislike people ganging up on someone. So, I want to defend Adalind but I just... can't. You're right. She's one wasted opportunity after another and I really wish Claire Coffee would go somewhere where her talents could be better used.

We had another moment with Adalind undercutting the show's opinion of her. Elizabeth talks up how cleverly Adalind used the spell and then we cut to the actual character stupidly ignoring her guide and literally precipitating (through crying precipitation) her newest predicament.

As for Trubel, one thing to consider is that she's almost certainly been a Grimm longer than Nick. I don't have exact figures, but Trubel's "Grimmness" seemed to have kicked in while she was in her mid-teens and she's about 22 now. Figure maybe 7 years. Nick's been a Grimm for 3 years. The only real reason that Trubel is Nick's "apprentice" is that he has all the educational materials and is able to provide names and context for her experiences.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Nick being a Grimm has made quite a few people's lives in Portland better (or at least longer). Still, since he became a Grimm, Nick and Juliette's own personal situation has made quite a few detours into Suckville. Also, for any talk about the long-term health consequences of not being a Grimm, it's pretty clear that one of the likely long term health consequences of being a Grimm is getting ripped to pieces by angry Wesen.

Sure, at this stage it's probably better for Nick to be a Grimm than not, especially since the "blabbiber" has been at work, but it's not a completely clear choice one way or the other.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I think Juliette has a problem looking like Adalind because Nick has a problem with her looking like Adalind. Juliette's sensitive to how hosed-up this whole thing is and doesn't want to push. Still, now that she knows about the Shaw situation, she's probably going to try to talk Nick around to doing it anyway.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Juliette's expression when she told Nick he needed to be a Grimm again. She was regarding that burning sign like it was a tumor she needed to remove.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm sort of okay with the plot as something to goose Nick into getting his Grimm back, but overall the "racist Wesen" plot seems a bit silly. One point about bullying racist assholes is that they generally go after the underclass, the poorer, less influential people. The KKK might burn a cross on some poor family's lawn. They're not going to burn a cross on Colin Powell's lawn, because he can easily ruin their lives and possibly have them killed.

Rosalee is basically a Wesen pharmacist, the one who gives you the medicine human pharmacies can't give you. She's married to Monroe. They're both friendly with three Grimms. Rosalee is the designated contact with the Wesen Council. She can pretty much have other Wesen killed and make up a reason why later. Finally, Rosalee and Monroe are acquainted with Sean Renard, who pretty much quietly rules Portland with an velvet-covered iron.

What kind of fucktard goober hate group is going to screw with people who can so clearly call down an almighty shitstorm of destruction into the lives of those who mess with them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

not to mention the Coyotl, or however that's spelled. Wasn't that the episode that officially had Hank enter the group too?

Really it was the next episode with the weird Wesen disease, when Nick finally fully explained the whole Grimm thing and he became aware of Monroe and Rosalee as Wesen. However, the Coyotl episode was the one where he became fully aware of Wesen as a real thing and that Nick saw them and knew what they were.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Martout posted:

A stupid, gullible asset.

With spellcasting superpowers. If I was going to use someone who could potentially control my mind to the point that I would shoot myself in the head, I'd want that someone to be stupid, gullible and completely broken to my will as well.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I liked the bit in the spice shop with the chorus of "Heys." Yeah, fellas, clearly the "wimminfolk" have got this one. I'm really looking forward to Juliette blowing some Wolfsangel assholes right the gently caress away eventually.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

Her busting out the Charlie's Angels moves on a pissed-off Klaustreich didn't seal that for you?

The best part of that for me was that Bitsie did not bust out moves from Buffy, Charlie's Angels, etc. She fought the guy the way a smaller, weaker person would have to fight him, viciously, relentlessly and trying to inflict as much pain and damage as possible, not letting up until he was unconscious or dead (which he likely would've been had not Nick come in with the gun).

Juliette is awesome because she's so practical about things, like bringing extra ammo for her gun which she also brought.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I can't see Theresa having any romantic interest in Josh. Or even non-romantic interest in Josh. Outside of Nick, the person Theresa seems to care about the most is Juliette, likely because Juliette feeds her and bullies her into clothes shopping on Juliette's dime. Also, Juliette once beat the holy living gently caress out of a Klaustreich, so the two can bond over that.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There's at least one more new Grimm coming next week.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

You'd also think that Nick would have by this point just scanned all his books rather than going out to the trailer every other five minutes.

Digital databases/libraries aren't necessarily fully secure and there's probably quite a few secrets in the Grimm journals that need to stay secret. Magic aside, it's pretty goddam difficult to "hack" paper.

Theresa will be missed, but hopefully she can return later in the season (probably being chased by Royal assassins) or maybe get her own Grimm spin-off next fall. I liked that we got one last dose of her "Let's get this poo poo done" attitude in her locating the Wesen KKK. I also liked her "We're Grimms. Can't we just go over there now and stomp these fuckers into a mudhole already?"

I'm wondering if Juliette's actually pregnant and if it'll turn into some weird fast-growing Hexengrimm superbaby.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 6, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

Who said it had to be networked? You'd need to physical access then, which compromises books all the same.

Point being that Team Grimm needs an IT guy. I wonder how Wu is with computers?

Probably not that great and he'd get pissy about being sterotyped. The only one who's really used computers among the group is Juliette. She managed to locate Nick's mother from her email and found the truck online that Kelly later used to leave with Adalind's baby.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

spookygonk posted:

Just like the Kallikantzaroi in the boot of Nick's car.

He basically punched out a choir boy

Choir boys are evil. Everyone knows that. The little bastard deserved it. Juliette continues to impress me with her tactical combat sense. "They're coming in! Find something to hit them with!"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

I'd be less concerned about hacking and more concerned about the trailer being stolen or destroyed. Nick's priceless and irreplaceable library cataloging generations of Grimm lore is occupying plot #49 at Camp Bumfuck. Meanwhile, an ancient conspiratorial royal family would love to find it for magic keys.

You can't really burn down or destroy redundantly-stored data. And Nick could streamline research by not having to hang out in a musty 50's trailer an hour away.

The real risk is unleashing a demon on the internet like that one Buffy episode. And making the show less mystical when Nick isn't finding an extremely concise answer in an Ancient Tome illuminated by candlelight.

(Hitler = werewolf. Rudyard Kipling = monster hunter. These are lessons better learned from yellowed paper and film reels, and not an iPad Air.)

The real risk is not unleashing a demon on the internet. It's revealing/confirming the existence of Wesen to the outside world and triggering a holocaust/war of extinction between humanity and Wesen. It's a little ironic given the current storyline but I recall that one of Monroe's lines in Season 1 was something to the effect of "I just don't want somebody burning a cross on my lawn."

In the meantime going to the trailer is as much a part of Grimm's setting as the Buffy gang studying books in the school library. It's very likely that someone will steal or fireboomb the trailer eventually, probably as part of a Fall or Season finale that will be resolved when we learn that Juliette had secretly been going to the trailer to scan and organize it all into a searchable database and managed to save "a lot of it." As for stuff that wasn't saved, presumably Nick will have to seek out other Grimm and trade favors or information with them to make up the lack.

One thing I liked about this episode was that it continued the trend of indicating that a goodly portion of Grimm were real assholes, as indicating by the one Grimm's happiness that he could leave the Wesenrein to their brutal purge and take a vacation. I'm really looking forward to the point where the show finally pulls the trigger on the idea of some Grimms who are vicious, Wesen-killing fanatics like in the "good old days." Maybe the guy in the robe and mask is one of them. It's unlikely, but it'd be cool to see.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Let's hope they're only putting Trubel out until whatever contract they have with the Adalind lady runs out and they can shift those resources over to Trubel.

Still, gently caress you show.

edit: Josh seemed very weird when coming out of the shower. Suddenly super happy and even eager to become a Grimm? After hitting one guy with a rock? Suspicious. We've been shown at least 3 ways of shape-shifting during this show and now they're giving away the location of the trailer to some newbie?

It's not that weird. You ever faced something you dreaded and found that it wasn't nearly as bad in reality as you'd built it up in your mind? You know that combination of glee and relief when that happened? That what he was feeling except more so.

Josh isn't like Trubel or Nick. He's not even like Hank or Juliette. Wesen are a known quantity to them. Juliette's best friend is Rosalee, a Fuchsbau. That isn't true for Josh. He was driven from home and life by creatures out of nightmare, made to feel hunted and powerless begging for protection from Nick. Then he went with Theresa, even (maybe) saved her life by hitting that guy. Josh proved to himself in unambiguous terms that he did not have to be a victim, that he could fight back, that his pursuers weren't invulnerable monsters, but being that he could fight back again. That's an incredibly empowering feeling to have. To actually be a Grimm? To feel that feeling all the time (or so he thinks) that would be awesome.

AS for Josh being a plant or double-agent, that doesn't fit what happened. If the Hundjagers had caught him and extracted the location of the key from him (which would effectively be "Nick Burkhardt has it Portland. Beyond that, no clue.") they'd have just killed. Or, if he was a double agent, he'd have stayed to try to find the key, not left with Theresa.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

I hope they don't try to franchise her off by giving her a happy middle-class existence in Phillie(?) with John. I'm still hoping the writer's'll develop Portland as a shadow city-state run by Renard and his human and Grimm lieutenants. :(

For my part I want them to explain that Juliette's effectiveness in combat is due to her being raised in an apocalypse cult led by her psychotic Grimm father and brothers (who simply called Wesen "demons" without explaining what they were to Juliette). We'll get to learn that Juliette is low grade special forces in her training and we might get to see crazy hillbilly Grimms rampaging through Portland butchering every Wesen they see.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Robot Hobo posted:

Yeah, she hasn't really leveled-up to "Badass" so much as simply "Competent."
And in a surprisingly realistic way, that was enough to make all the difference.

In the world of TV, Competent is more Badass than most Badasses. I still want crazy hillbilly Grimms, though.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Adalind isn't really bad at being a Hexenbeist. She's been shown to be fully capable of using her powers and rituals correctly. She's just short sighted and has poor judgement in other aspects of her life. Grimm's blood might "cure" being a hexenbeist, but nothing can fix being stupid.

Juliette, we know, is competent. I think Juliette will be a scary dangerous hexenbeist.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Funny, that's probably one of the reasons she was sent - it ups the tension and stakes if there are a lot of things going on all at once, and not enough people to cover everything.

Juliette becoming Hexenbiesty smells of writers making stuff up as they go along just because. Will they remember that the cure for Hexenbiests is Grimm blood, or will they remember and say it won't work for *mysticbabble* reasons.

I think it's likely that other Grimms' blood might cure Juliette but that Nick's blood won't because Juliette's beist was "cloned" from Adalind, who had already been exposed to Nick's blood earlier. Personally I hope Juliette's "Beisting" lasts for a while. I like the idea of exploring how she'll react to finally having the power to deal with other Wesen on their own terms.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's a story about fairy tales and they are the wicked witches, how is this complicated?

That's actually a pretty astute point. From their looks to their abilities, nothing about hexenbeists radiates sunshine and puppies. How will Juliette deal with being a "wicked" witch? How will everyone else deal with her being a wicked witch?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Martout posted:

Also regarding Hexenbiest powers I think it was heavily implied that the baby did the telekinesis stuff? The powersurge in the café had Adalind patting her babybump rather than looking smug iirc.

Still, when Adalind realized her baby was gone, she did that shriek that blew out windows and wreaked a bit of havoc all down the street.

That said, the show seems to have reconsidered and upgraded that power that hexenbeists can wield. In Season One Adalind could "cast" Cookies of Obsession. For that matter, she seemed to have retained her knowledge of magic since she used that cat-based curse on Juliette after Nick removed her powers. Basically she was a blonder, meaner Rosalee.

Now hexenbeists can use telekinetic effects, induce mind control to the point of suicide, cast spells of transformation on themselves or others, create effects of mass hypnosis/time stop and, with the right tools, raise people from the recently dead.

I'm really hoping for Viktor and Adalind to try the obligatory "Let's kidnap the Grimm's girlfriend" just to see it go horribly, gloriously wrong for them as Juliette uses her hexenpowers, kitchen-fu and gun to turn the kidnap team of hundjagers into dogmeat.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

Haha what if she woges while they're having sex? And then he looks down to see how she's liking it and 'AHHHHHHHH~!!!!!!!'

Plus, Juliette gets to see that creepy reflection falling into the abyss thing that Wesen see in a Grimm's eyes.

Clearly Nick and Juliette will need to stock up on some head-sized his and hers paper bags for their "date nights."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
04. You gain a severe allergy to cats and cat dander. Fortitude save at +2 or die unless you have an eppie pen.

44. You suffer mild Ailurophilia (sexual attraction to cats) for the next 1d6 days which manifests in you seeking out catgirl porn on the internet and being really intense in talking about it with other neckbeards on anime message boards.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I don't know. Angry Rosalee would be spending a lot of time in fuchsbau form and fuchsbau Rosalee is too adorable to be scary. Still, best friends do things together and cute fuchsbau Rosalee would likely be accompanied by hexenbiest Juliette. Hexenbiest Juliette is loving terrifying.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Perhaps Throat Rip can be the new Neck Snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

I dunno man, those fangs look pretty nasty. And yeah, imagine how much fun vigilante Rosalee and Juliette hunting down and murdering dickhead bigoted wesen would be? The show could even throw in a few long tortured scenes of Nick agonizing over whether he's a cop first or a Grimm first about them. It'd save time, they could probably reuse some script sections from as far back as season one.

For me Rosalee isn't scary because of her fangs. She's scary because she can call up the Wesen Council and have you killed.

• Locked thread