Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

straight up brolic posted:

fat is the best descriptor of derrick coleman

I try to give him a break; dude had a pretty serious problem with alcohol and clinical depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

Yeah basketball players are largely not built for pushups. Durant famously couldn't bench 180 when he was coming out.

When he was playing Magic couldn't bench more than 140 (iirc?). When he got HIV and started working out hardcore he went up to 300.

So obviously Roy Hibbert has HIV.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Smorgasbord posted:

Based on current standings, Philly own the 1st & 15th picks and 5(!) 2nd rounders this draft.

76ers also have 20 draft picks between now and 2020.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Caris Levert out for the rest of the season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Benne posted:

Looks like Robert Upshaw just got a lot cheaper

Larry Sanders 2.0

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

It's 2016 draft news, but it's pretty important.

Thon Maker will be making his decision to reclassify sometime this week. If he does, and all signs are that he will, then the 2016 draft just got a lot more interesting. Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas and Indiana are all recruiting him heavily.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 17, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Poythress' situation after his freshman year. If he doesn't improve, his stock will plummet.

What happens with him this year considering the injury?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

He goes undrafted

It was always a little depressing to watch him and Lebryan Nash slowly slide down the draft boards every year for the last 4 years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Saric is going to be fun to watch when he comes over.

http://gfycat.com/ExcellentWholeHydra

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Stupid question I'm probably getting basic facts wrong about :

If the cap is expected to skyrocket in 2016-2017 due to the new TV deals, wouldn't it make sense for someone who's mid-late first round to stay in school this year, try to move up to lottery next year and lock in the bigger rookie deal than come out now? Even if they don't make lottery and are still a first rounder, the deals should be bigger next year, right?

In short, in terms of draft classes, 2015 - weak 2016 - strong 2017 - weak due to the impending lockout/strike?

2015 has a solid draft class, 2016 looks weak, god knows about 2017.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

2016 will get stronger when Thon Maker re-classifies. Also that Australian 7-footer Isaac Humphries will boost the class.

edit: I'm confused. Thon Maker will re-classify out of the 2016 class into 2015. Isaac Humphries is the following year.

The Aussie and Canadian basketball contingents are going to be so good in 5 years from now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Guangdong Tigers are down in their playoff series and have decided to play Mudiay in tonight's game.

edit:

edit: and he leads them to a win with 24 points, 8 rbs, 4 assists, and 4 steals.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 1, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Can/Will he play anywhere else after the CBA season finishes?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

I don't see why he would, at this point I don't think there's really anything he can do to increase his stock.

Yeah, I guess he would be trying to push up from the 3/4 spot to the 2/3 spot; marginal gains in my opinion.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Who is the best guy who could play the SF in the NBA in this draft? This draft seems really light on real wing players.

Stanley Johnson for D and Mario Hezonja for O. Both really nice prospects.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Depending on who you talk to either Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Justice Winslow, and Mario Hezonja. I know nothing about Hezonja but among the college guys I'd rank them in the order I just listed them. Draft express has it 1)Johnson, 2)Hezonja, 3)Winslow, and 4)Oubre.

I think Winslow will be a better defensive player than Johnson just because he's a better athlete, but he's a lot worse offensively. He's shooting surprisingly well from three this year but he's a below average free throw shooter and absolutely godawful from mid-range, and he can't do anything with the ball in his hands (though to be fair Johnson is a pretty crappy ball handler too).

The highest ceiling is probably Oubre, but he's been really up and down and needs to add a lot of strength. Winslow and Johnson will come in pretty much NBA ready from a physical standpoint.

Thanks; I haven't gotten to see much of Winslow yet.

Hezonja is a lot more athletic than I expected. He can really get up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcrZ4y_Ccg

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 3, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

So Cliff Alexander will definitely be in this year's draft?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

edit: will try later from something other than a phone.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's actually pretty decent on defense, my issue with him is that he hasn't been nearly this good a shooter for his career. He's a good athlete and is really good around the basket, but never consistently made threes before this tournament.

He and Kaminsky will both probably go like 10-15ish I think, but he's improved his stock a lot. He wasn't a lottery pick before the tournament started and now he'll probably go in the back end of it.

I thought defense was a weak point with him?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

super interesting

Skal Labissiere #1 2016

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/from-the-rubble-of-haiti-s-2010-earthquake--skal-labissiere-chases-his-nba-dream-052610984.html

quote:

One NBA scout who watched Labissiere during four days of World practices said he has vaulted himself to consideration for the No. 1 pick in next year's draft. The scout also likened him to Portland Trail Blazers All-Star forward LaMarcus Aldridge.

"In my eyes he's going No. 1 next year because he's just so coordinated, so fluid, so skilled," the scout said. "He's not a great shooter now, but you can see he's going to be a very good shooter. He has good balance, good footwork. All the building blocks to be a really good big guy.

"He's a guy that no one [in the NBA] has seen a lot before this. All the recruiting guys talk about him. …This is my first time seeing him in person and I'm really impressed."

Another NBA scout saw Labissiere as the second-best prospect on the World team behind Simmons.

"Skal has clearly separated himself from the rest of the group after Simmons," the scout said. "Really soft touch, trending towards a pick-and-pop guy. Gives you some rim protection and defensive rebounding. Has improved his upper body strength. Still a work in progress."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Disillusionist posted:

Can you elaborate? I've adopted the 76ers as my second team and they've been pretty interesting to follow this season. Every time I hear people discussing MCW they are mostly critical of his shortcomings and don't sound optimistic. Didn't they get the Lakers pick in that swap or was that from Denver?
Anyway, the KJ trade seemed more bizarre to me both now and at the time it happened.

After about the first 15-20 games, McDaniels really regressed in terms of his shooting, etc. Combine that with the friction between him and management, and I don't think Hinkie wanted to deal with signing him this offseason, even if he's restricted.

Getting Canaan and a future 2nd isn't too bad in that situation IMHO.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 14, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

Not that I'm thinking about the draft yet, but are there are good PG/SG/SF defenders expected to be in the late-first? I'm trying to think of Cavs needs, and I don't see any way a late-round big will sneak into playing time next year (for the sake of argument let's assume Thompson/LeBron/Love are all staying) especially until Varejao gets hurt again, while at the very least someone is going to have to come in to take Marion's minutes.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson is probably your best bet.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I still don't really get the moves the Suns made at the deadline, outside of the Dragic trade

The answer is: Robert Sarver

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

Im more excited for CauleyStein than anyone else really. I dont necessarily think hes better than Okafor or Towns, I just love him. Also, isnt it Hezonja who may be super lazy? That intrigues me. Like another chucker who doesnt give a poo poo and will bring down the Lakers or Knicks.

He's not lazy, gym rat supposedly. His attitude problem is supposed to be arrogance.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

That would be awesome. Do it. Don't take Okafor and just figure it out. You have two promising talented bigs already.

There's a 95% chance "figure it out" would mean trading Okafor/Towns.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

Yeah you're right and you could trade him for a proven guy. But hey if they believe in Russell just take him.

They've publicly said they'll wait to sign any serious free agents until the 2016 offseason. They possibly could have 4x1st round picks in the 2016 draft so I think they want to see what happens with those before signing anyone.

I'd be happy with any one of the top 7 this year. Russell looks like he could be a really fun player and if he can hit the NBA 3 he'll be a great addition. The league needs more spinning bounce passes in general.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

4 first rounders maybe next year and Saric could be coming over too.

Jesus.

If you really want to get basketball horny go to DX and look at the clips of Ben Simmons from the Nike Hoops Summit a few weeks ago. So close to a triple double.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Isn't Saric locked into a pretty rough contract?

Yep. 99% chance he's not here until 2016-2017.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

extendedsolo posted:

Isn't this the team that Grantland and Deadspin are stupidly wondering "WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING?" It seems to me they are trying to find that franchise player so they can actually be good and not stuck in NBA purgatory.

If Embiid pans out to be what many people thought he could be at draft time last year, this team could be serious contenders in 5 years or so.

Yeah. Hinkie has said that acquiring a transcendental player is the core of their philosophy and it's hard to argue with him. Other than the Pistons, who were starting 5 borderline all stars, every other team that's won a recent championship has been led by an all time great.

MourningView posted:

Everyone knows what they're doing. They're really really obvious about it. People just disagree that doing it to this extreme is actually the best way to build a good basketball team, and in some cases whether punting entire seasons is a fair thing to do to people who you are expecting to pay lots of money for tickets and show up to watch the team on a regular basis.

It's almost always non-Philly people and bitter 70 year old media people mentioning this; the fanbase in general is supportive. They would have been in a much better situation if they had gotten rid of Iverson in 2005 and have been in the basement, in terms of city popularity, since 2001ish because they refused to rebuild. Every year of the 2000s was a new solution: Derrick Coleman in 2001, Keith Van Horn in 2002, , Glenn Robinson in 2003, Chris Webber in 2004, Elton Brand in 2008. I'd rather take a chance on youth/rebuilding than another 29-30 year old free agent with an extensive injury history.

It also helps that the team, most of the time, is really fun to watch.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

Chauncey Billups was a top 10 player (arguably top 5) when the Pistons won. And probably will be in the HOF.

And a 1.3 pick of course.

I meant top 25 all time type of players. Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem, Duncan, Robinson, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, etc.

MourningView posted:

Their fans on the internet will white knight it, yeah, but they were 30th in attendance this year and 29th the year before.

Which isn't a big change from the last decade and anyways I don't think arena attendance is a good indicator of popularity in the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I really hosed up the phrasing on this. Replace "borderline all stars" players with "players who were all stars several times in their career, but not all time greats".

The point is that Billups and Wallace may be great players, but they weren't on the level of the players I mentioned above and the Pistons are the only team recent history to win a ring without one of those transcendental, top 25 of all time players. 4-5 top 100ish All Time players vs 1-2 top 25 All Time players.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Internet posters are also the ones that seem to go to maybe 2 or 3 games a year, catch the rest on TV, and tell everyone to suck it up it's for the good of the franchise.

Barring a slip in the lottery which we always seem to take, I'm excited for the prospect of WCS being available at the Kings spot only for them to pass on him for another shooter who can't shoot and then spend the next season scratching their head about why their defense is so bad

Excuse those of us who can't afford season tickets and don't want to perpetuate mediocrity for the next decade.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Historic tanking the likes no one has ever seen or mediocrity. Yes those are the only two choices.

And if you can't afford season tickets that's fine but don't be cavalier with other people's money

Evidently their "historic" tanking wasn't historic enough considering the Knicks and Timberwolves.

What options would you have chosen two years ago? The core of Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, and Thad Young were a combined 2-18 in the 20 games prior to being traded; no one is taking that group of players to the Finals unless it's a Lebron/Durant-esque player. That trend is likely to continue in the future. Stars are less likely to come here when they have NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago as options. Nike isn't putting in any bonus kicker into an NBA player's contract if they play in Philly. The best way to acquire a star that can take you to the Finals is going to be drafting someone like Anthony Davis.

You may not like it, but considering that we tried the prototypical strategy for a decade and it failed miserably trying this for 3-5 years isn't a big sacrifice.

And no one's being cavalier with anyone's money. Season ticket holders were fully briefed on the blueprint/reasoning and they've been pretty copacetic other than some mild grumbling during the losing streak at the very beginning of the season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Not to be contrarian, but the biggest free agent moves the last couple years have been Lebron to Cleveland and Dwight Howard leaving LA. I don't think Market size is really that big of a deal anymore, I think if players are willing to move they want a good fit/role on a team, not necessarily the biggest media market.

Lebron is kind of a special exception, but yeah I'll concede that point.

quote:

Come to Minnesota, I had season tickets for two years with decent seats for like $240 per seat per season.

Keep 'em. If the Wolves pick up Towns this year, and Rubio can stay healthy for any period of time, those tickets might get a bit more expensive in the near future :)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

EvanTH posted:

so (5/1000) + (5/999) + (5/998) = ~1.5% but then 4-14 things go in loss order so they'd get 14th?

Yup, there's always a chance they move the pick though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Not a huge name, but 7 footer Rasmus Larsen was found dead in his bed today.

Boo death.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

In happier news, Robert Upshaw had a set of ridiculous measurements; 9'5" standing reach and 7'5.5" wingspan. If he can convince some team that he can lay off the reefer, someone has to take a chance.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

New NBA policy means we'll never see the Gilbert kid at the draft again. No more family members as draft reps according to the league office.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Draft Express thinks he gamed the measurements by intentionally tanking the max standing reach measurement to boost his max vert number. loving Irish

Don't hate us because we're smarter than you ;). But yeah, an 8 foot standing reach is pretty odd for someone who is 6'5".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

I think if your team sucks major rear end and you're looking for a real difference maker, than this year is like last year in that there are 3. Oakafor, Towns, Russell, in no particular order. Just my opinion though.

I'm praying for a top 3 pick for Philly. Anything less is a bit of a let down.

Even a worst case scenario isn't too bad. They'll still pick up someone like Winslow or Hezonja who fill needs and are potential top flight players.

I'd rather the Lakers/Heat picks didn't convert till next year. I want as big a warchest as possible for Ben Simmons.

• Locked thread