Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And I could see the Sixers saying "Go gently caress yourself!" considering that Okafor and Mudiay will be there.

Would they want Okafor if they already have Noel and Embiid and Saric? You could always pick him anyway and stash but you'll take a hit on value somewhere

And would Philly want another PG that can't shoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Because other people want Okafor and while Mudiay has flaws he's a top 5 pick for many reasons other than shooting? I'd prefer Russell to Mudiay, but it's definitely not bad if it's Mudiay.

Other people want Okafor but do you want to trade down when you've already got billions of picks and probably want a really, really good player over a couple of nice players

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 8, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's also the reason why they probably would laugh at the Lakers and be fine with players like Hezonja and more picks. And why wouldn't the Sixers take Okafor and play a big three @25-30 minutes a game; it's not ideal, but it's not a ridiculous option especially considering that management has job security, it's insurance for Embiid's foot, and assuming that Okafor fulfills his potential he'll be dropping 20/8 and could be used as trade fodder sometime in the next several years not just this summer. The Lakers also have a pretty entrenched guard cohort with Clarkson, Kobe, and Nick Young. Unless you can move Young there's a serious minutes/development backlog.

I mean, the Lakers are in a position of strength, but not probably not relative to the Sixers and especially not using Russell as the object of desire.

edit: The most interesting thing will be if the Wolves have the balls to draft Okafor at #1.

Because why deal with all that if you like Russell that much. Trust your own rankings and grab the guy you like most. This isn't the NFL where sheer quantity can do the job in the draft. The Sixers already have a bunch of picks, one of the whole points of collecting assets is to monetize their value in a trade. I doubt any of this happens though, so it's just dumb idle chatter on my part

And I'm sure Nick Young will find himself on the street the second the Lakers find some other guard they like more to build around

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 8, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Okafor isn't a sexy pick so everyone in the thread is bagging on him. It is the way of things

I have nothing against Okafor but I am a Basketball Chaosist

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There is zero reason, incentive, or urgency to trade Cousins but it makes sense because reasons

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's probably my WCS mancrush speaking, but I don't get why Orlando would take him. Well, I mean I know why they would be interested and can field a super scary and active defense, but at some point they'd need more than 2 guys in the starting line-up that can do anything defensively right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think WCS is a ridiculous idea, in fact he's perfect for them defensively and since he probably won't be able to play all that many minutes at first you just trot him out with Tobias Harris at the 4 most of the time at first and figure it out. I was just having trouble parsing the way that post is written, first he says he likes WCS, then he doesn't get why Orlando would want him, then he does get why they would want him because he's good on defense, then implies they wouldn't want him because they need people who are good on defense. It makes no sense.

:rolleyes:

Orlando drafted a bunch of defense first guys already, do they want to continue to do so or do they want to spend some draft capital on offense. That was my question. I understand putting WCS together with Payton, Oladipo, and Gordon creates a potential scary good collection of defensive personnel but is that a priority for Orlando? That is something I was wondering. I realize there was a typo at the end of the post but calm down

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 10, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All the mocks are telling me I should start getting excited for Emmanuel, so gently caress it I'm on board let's do this poo poo

Anyone have a spare second rounder they would give us for McCallum???

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cousins expressed an interest in playing with a shot blocker next to him but I don't recall him explicitly saying he wanted to be a PF

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ty1990 posted:

Russell had a workout scheduled in Philly this weekend but just cancelled it.

Somebody tell me this means nothing...guys? Guys? gently caress.

Or his agent told him that there is no way he falls passed Philly or NY and figured why bother

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there something specific about Emmanuel that the Knicks don't like other than he's a raw PG who can't shoot? Not a Triangle PG?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@PompeyOnSixers
Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft "He's better than Karl Towns," said the scout.

Let's do this Philly!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's Zingis which is pretty close to Ba-Zinga

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Writers have grudges, even reliable ones. Woj is super good at breaking info but only has the sources he has because he's cool with being used by them. He's throwing shade at Vivek either on behalf of PDA or because he's super mad that Vivek shut down his easy source of info.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

What is Frank Kaminsky's best case scenario?

On a poster in over a million rooms with him getting dunked on by Westbrook

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I want WCS but the kings never take who I want so I should not expect to get him anyway. Given my poor draft track record that isn't a bad thing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DX is a great resource for information regarding all the prospects, but oh boy run the other way when they try to speculate or editorialize on NBA teams

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A ton of Asian countries speak out too. English language and US dollar, closest thing you get to universal in this world

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Odds are if you're an American overseas you'll be in some touristy place and anyone there who pretends not to speak English actually does and is just trying to hustle you

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nuggets not exactly doing from a position of strength regarding Lawson and PDA is gone so there goes that hook. I'd like Lawson on the team but not at the cost of #6 so I don't see how anything can get worked out

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lawson is already better than what we can get at #6 and has a fair chance of continuing to be better than what we can get there. But we are a crap team so I'd rather spin the wheel on a rookie on a cheap deal. Lawson is really good, but PG is the least of our issues. Lawson won't fix our lack of a shot blocker down low or need for shooting on the perimeter and we don't exactly have any other assets to do that with. Our depth would get a little bump, but we still have no bench.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 18, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Karl unleashed Magic Cousins. And Tragic Cousins. Malone had him playing better at both ends of the floor but anything from December on for the Kings was a dumpster fire so it's tough to evaluate anything. They've even said Karl's stint last season was just an extended training camp.

If WCS and Mudiay are off the board at #6, I'd start to think about it. The Hezonja/Winslow/Johnson trio is a tier down to me in terms of my interest, but Karl already said Gay is going to play more PF next season so the Kings would need someone that could slot in at SF. But if Vlade isn't in love with any of those 3 or Porzingis, then sure. Lawson is a good player and if you can wait out another year before you can do anything cap wise to improve the team (this is not a given), it would be a good addition. I do like the idea of Karl having a PG who he really likes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yung Jacques posted:

I can't think of a "former point guard" big who actually was any good before they became a gigantic not-a-point-guard.

They used to say that about Tyrus Thomas like he was just holding back a crazy ball handling game in college. Then in the pros he couldn't dribble more than two seconds without dribbling the ball off his foot.

Jason Thompson came in with supposed ball handling ability (I think he had a late growth spurt as well). But after getting picked nonstop his rookie year he stopped trying to lead fast breaks. Hell you don't even want him taking a power dribble at this point

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more buzz about Winslow. He's from Duke, is a Winner, has good athletic ability, and is in the mold of the in-style Kwahi/Jimmy Bucks type player.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

It seems like there's quite a bit? He's projected as high as like 5 pretty regularly, and is generally even higher than that on "best available" lists or whatever. That's pretty good for a 6'4" dude with a possibly busted jumper. I'd have him 3rd among the SFs behind Hezonja and Johnson personally but he's first or second most places.

Most of the mock I've seen have Orlando taking Herzonja/WCS, Sacramento going in any other direction, and a few having Denver pick him up. I guess that is pretty good for a shortish guy with a busted jumper who had most success at PF though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

roundmidnight posted:

You guys really love Ty Lawson, huh? To me he's always basically the late 2000s Hawks in player form. Definitely good, definitely not good enough to make your team take a jump to the next tier.

The next tier for Sacramento is mediocre and I'm pretty sure he can do that!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kiimo posted:

There's a scout in there who needs to get a room with WCS.

That guy wants to go north-south-east-west with him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Divac is apparently really high on him so I eagerly await the first Cousins/Hezonja tag team fight

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Unless you are talking someone like Jimmer the athleticism argument doesn't hold much water for me. Remember when Harden was mocked as less athletic Brandon Roy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Lots of guys whose biggest drawback was lack of athleticism never made it in the NBA. I wouldn't use Harden as a measuring stick, he was a very unusual player who was much more athletic than scouts realized.

But people over react to average to pedestrian combine numbers. People confuse "looks like Jimmer on D" with "not elite in his class"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

6 gets you Mudiay, Zingis, or WCS. No guarantee that you get a prospect like that with a non top 3 pick next year, so why mess around just to pick up OKC's garbage pick next year.

More importantly, why would Philly do it if it was a good deal for the other team

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

For what it's worth Marc Gasol does actually usually name LA as one of the places he's going to consider in the offseason. It of course could be negotiation tactics but it's out there.

I hope LA turns into the player equivalent of "team wants to move to Seattle"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Cauley-Steins-Foot-Giving-Lottery-Teams-Pause-5123

quote:

Five separate NBA teams we spoke with all indicated varying degrees of concern after consulting with their team doctors this week, with some saying it may cost the Kentucky big man a few spots on draft night. “There is some maintenance that needs to be done there, as it's not completely clear whether the injury healed in a proper way. The pin that was inserted is supposed to be sitting at a 90 degree angle, but instead it's at 45 degrees. That, plus some question marks about his background that came up could cause him to drop a few slots.”

WCS starts his slide!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 6h6 hours ago
Sacramento has been clear in trade talks: Kings more than willing to move back into the teens if a team includes a proven player in a deal.

Oh man is this going to be like when we traded back to pick up John Salmons?!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kiimo posted:

Willie has some questionable background stuff, growing up in the mean streets of Olathe, KS.

For reference, this is what Olathe looks like.

Bet he pissed in that river

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Smokescreens are great if you want to make a risky or unpopular pick. Make the fanbase so nervous that they'll love you for taking the guy you wanted all along.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dude is gonna be like 7'3" in shoes and he moves around like a SF. I'm officially on Team Kristaps.

e: This is what people said about John Bender, isn't it?

Zingis has basketball skills though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Jon Bender was gonna be good before his knees exploded, screw y'all

Better to have his knee explode and have everyone wonder what could have been than stick around and turn into a boring, generic big man like Anthony Randolph

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wesley Matthews wants $15M so Portland has to make room I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

There were lots of people who didn't like Thabeet. I thought he was a safe pick with a low ceiling but a really high floor, and apparently even that was overrating him a lot. I thought he got overdrafted a little but I didn't see bust coming. I figured at worst he'd be something like Hibbert is now.

Yeah I didn't really like Thabeet. But 2009 was supposed to be a pretty weak draft class after Griffin and Rubio, so I was saying a high floor pick whose skillset happens to be shotblocking isn't the worst thing in the world and arguably more attractive to some teams than busty combo guards

• Locked thread