Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

being a drone pilot probably wouldn't be too bad tbh

people play that hatred game for fun and being a drone pilot isnt nearly as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Amarcarts posted:

I should probably clarify that I'm in my late 20s, 6'1", in way better physical shape than all the recruiters, and I have a B.S. in Biological Sciences. I'm also from a liberal UMC family and I was dressed very very well at the job fair. I'm probably not their target demographic so that may have affected my interactions with them somewhat.

oh, so you're even dumber than we thought.

loving lmao

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Join the Navy OP. It's the least lovely of them all if you can't get into the Air Force. If you can get into the Air Force join that one instead.

That said only the Navy and Air force have a position on the contract you sign that they have to honor unless you gently caress up real bad. Even then making you change rates or whatever it is I the Air Force is a pain in the rear end.

I was in the Navy.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Harald posted:

I've never been in the military..but I do know a couple of people who went in and were savvy enough to 'game the system' and it turned out well for them.

a friend of mine went to 4 years of college and then grad school @ syracuse (which cost i think almost as much for 2 years as the other school did for 4) to major in JOURNALISM. he then had to join the army reserves and got shipped off to afghanistan so he could pay off his student debt. soooooooooo many dumb, dumb, dumb DUMB decisions.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
All of the recruiters were like you once, the reason they have dead eyes is because they've actually lived through the consequences of their actions. They probably hated talking to you because you reminded them of themselves at your age and they thought you were a naive little bitch

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

haljordan posted:

ah good. people like that should definitely have access to weapons and be trained in how to kill other humans.

The armed forces needs to create a Black Dog Korps where they put all the worst psychos and when there's a country that needs to be made an example of they just drop the Black Dog Korps in and let them rape, burn, and kill everything in sight

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Probably the better option for someone with a college degree is any other job.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

haljordan posted:

i mean pressing a button and sending a missile to a target miles away probably isnt as satisfying as sinking your combat knife into the face of some 12 year old girl you just raped but hey to each his own

but to be so high up and to have the ability to wipe out all life in a mile radius invokes the feeling that you are like some old testament god

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yaldabaoth posted:

The armed forces needs to create a Black Dog Korps where they put all the worst psychos and when there's a country that needs to be made an example of they just drop the Black Dog Korps in and let them rape, burn, and kill everything in sight

yea theres already something like that. its called every branch of the armed forces.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Baba Ganoush posted:

All of the recruiters were like you once, the reason they have dead eyes is because they've actually lived through the consequences of their actions. They probably hated talking to you because you reminded them of themselves at your age and they thought you were a naive little bitch

Lol look at this guy who thinks he knows what I've been through.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Amarcarts posted:

*FAARRTTTTTTTTTTT*

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amarcarts posted:

I should probably clarify that I'm in my late 20s, 6'1", in way better physical shape than all the recruiters, and I have a B.S. in Biological Sciences. I'm also from a liberal UMC family and I was dressed very very well at the job fair. I'm probably not their target demographic so that may have affected my interactions with them somewhat.

the navy does do a fair amount of microbiology and biofuels research

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chinatown posted:

Probably the better option for someone with a college degree is any other job.

It depends. Being a teacher at NNPTC is a loving Cush job you never leave as an officer. They recruit you from your engineering degree to go teach other people how reactors work. You like the 9-5 with mad bennies? Go teach there.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

What have you been through?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yaldabaoth posted:

they did that in vietnam and it didn't work out too well unless by well you mean rounded up a bunch of poors and undesirables and sent them off to die

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Amarcarts posted:

Your boyfriend didn't say he loves you after he came on your face?

That's the most I can imagine about your life experiences at this point.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

comes along bort posted:

they did that in vietnam and it didn't work out too well unless by well you mean rounded up a bunch of poors and undesirables and sent them off to die

hahaha its funny b/c they did pretty much the exact same thing to get idiots to go over to iraq since the draft will never happen again, loving ever

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
lol at the op wanting all the recruiters to think he was a cutie pie

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Yaldabaoth posted:

the nazis did that i think. the commander was a insane child molester.

it went as well as you'd expect.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Military recruiters will lie to you with a smile on their face.

Take everything they say with a grain of salt, and get everything they promise you in writing.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
If your MOS/AFSC/JOB doesnt require a TS/SCI or higher, then :getout:

Fuckhead groundpounders dont even get clearances sometimes.

Intel, Medical, Signal, or higher level logistics is the way to go.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

haljordan posted:

i mean pressing a button and sending a missile to a target miles away probably isnt as satisfying as sinking your combat knife into the face of some 12 year old girl you just raped but hey to each his own

id rather do the missile thing

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
you should join the mariens op

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

haljordan posted:

yea theres already something like that. its called every branch of the armed forces.

You're right, America should just adopt the policies of William Sherman: War is Hell, so make war so utterly hellish for the other guy that you break them

It's not like modern America is even capable of rebuilding a nation like they did with Germany

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

haljordan posted:

hahaha its funny b/c they did pretty much the exact same thing to get idiots to go over to iraq since the draft will never happen again, loving ever

they also used stop-loss as a backdoor draft to keep people there who were expecting to come back home

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
you could probably be an eagle scout with those credentials

join your local troop today

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's not like modern America is even capable of rebuilding a nation like they did with Germany

nah we could do it pretty easily if that was ever an actual goal of our defense department again

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

lol at the op wanting all the recruiters to think he was a cutie pie

Sort of. I was very appearance conscious today because I'm not normally a suit and tie guy. I was actually hoping more they'd be excited someone who was in good physical shape and into science would join. The Army guy came off extremely bitter, while the Army girl seemed like a sweetie. The Marine guy came off like he built his identity around being mr. cool but I felt like this was a little too forced. I didn't really get a read off of the lady Marine. The Navy guy seemed quite open and secure. This could have been due to the fact that he was not actually a recruiter.

Overall I felt like the Army were most desperate for me, while I think the Marine recruiters could tell I was too old for their level of indoctrination, and the Navy guy didn't really care, which made him the best salesman in my mind.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
good physical shape and into science

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Amarcarts posted:

Sort of. I was very appearance conscious today because I'm not normally a suit and tie guy. I was actually hoping more they'd be excited someone who was in good physical shape and into science would join. The Army guy came off extremely bitter, while the Army girl seemed like a sweetie. The Marine guy came off like he built his identity around being mr. cool but I felt like this was a little too forced. I didn't really get a read off of the lady Marine. The Navy guy seemed quite open and secure. This could have been due to the fact that he was not actually a recruiter.

Overall I felt like the Army were most desperate for me, while I think the Marine recruiters could tell I was too old for their level of indoctrination, and the Navy guy didn't really care, which made him the best salesman in my mind.

good, subtle troll

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Yaldabaoth posted:

more like culexus assassins

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Amarcarts posted:

I didn't really get a read off of the lady Marine.

probably because she's broken inside from being constantly raped by her fellow troops and superiors

walking mattresses if they're not diesel dykes get passed around like currency

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
there are better ways to kill yourself op

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
like that goon that tried to burn himself, to death

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if u ever consider joining military do rotc because that means u get paid 2 do nothing, as an officer, and also dont have 2 pay for school

however, ur still joining military

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Chinatown posted:

good, subtle troll

It's not a troll if you believe it Jerry.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why the gently caress are you trying to get a read on these individual recruiters, you're not finding one to marry. you would be serving with thousands of other people and would probably never see your recruiter again. get the best deal you can from one of them and don't be a fuckup in your initial training (can't tell if you want to enlist or commission..)

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

comes along bort posted:

probably because she's broken inside from being constantly raped by her fellow troops and superiors

I don't think women do well in their bootcamp, it's probably like being in an abusive relationship with a guy from north jersey for them

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

comes along bort posted:

This is why women shouldn't be allowed to join the armed forces, it really is for their own good in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
WMs=Women Marines=Walking Mattresses

• Locked thread