Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Going back to school and incurring more debt isn't an option I want to pursue, so I was looking into taking up a trade. Electrical work is something I have passing familiarity with and so I am interested in possibly becoming an electrician. According to the ibew info I've looked at I can go to the local union hall and sign up for a $15 fee, take classes twice a week for 5 years and work as an apprentice for half the market wage of a journeyman. This is appealing to me because one of the reasons I'm looking to change careers is due to my current unemployment.

However, I'm concerned about the 5 year time frame that it can take to become a journeyman. I understand I can take courses at my local community college on my own but I wouldn't be a member of the union which is a big selling point to me.

Does anyone have experience with becoming an electrician? Are you a member of IBEW? Do you recommend union over non-union? Can I join the union if I don't take their path and instead get my education elsewhere?

Tell me about working as an electrician, how you got into it and recommend the best way of going about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only thing I know about being an electrician comes from the horror stories that my uncle who works at Edison tells me of field people being blasted by faulty wiring and exploded fingers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642636

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

Thank you

• Locked thread