Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh boy the Playstation 4. The Videogame equivalent to Michael Bay movies. Yes it supposedly sold a mere "10 Million" consoles but is entirely lacking in content than the other two consoles on the market.

I mean let's look at the upcoming games. The first "big exclusive game" which took over a year to come out is Bloodborne. Which is just a Dark Souls with a different name. A reheated grim dark fantasy game meant for people who never grew up out of their angsty teen stage and will accept tired and boring gameplay because they're afraid of liking something with colors an actual art direction for fear of being labeled "immature". Not Only that the community is terrible. You're probably better off playing Smash brothers a game with an actual deep fighting system and a better community around it.

The other one is Grim Fandango. An HD remake of a game already released for the PC. Yeah it not even probably worth bothering with. They're charging full price too for an HD remake of a game that came out more than 10 years ago. Nobody is going to buy it. Not when you have games like Bayonetta 2, Mario kart 8, and Captain Toad on the Horizen.

Mark my words anything that's worthwhile on the PS4 will be coming to other platforms. Sony has no lockdown on their exclusives like other companies and next to no fan loyalty for their first party games.

And not only that PSN is a poo poo service. I mean yeah their monthly games are "free" but they're all garbage. Do you think any of them can even compare to Earthbound, Halo, or Super Mario RPG? No that's why they sell them for 5 bucks or give them away because they can't charge a premium for it because they know that nobody will play them otherwise. Not only that they charge for multiplayer where as on Steam and other console services they let you play for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Taint Reaper posted:

The first "big exclusive game" which took over a year to come out is Bloodborne.

Uhm, okay?

The PS4 is pretty good in my book although I do really want a download manager.

e: vvvv Dang you're right.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
taint reaped again!!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
PS4 will continue to own up until the point when MGSV is released on PC, then it will stop.

I will also take this time to point out that when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were first released and competing with one another, the obvious winner was Xbox 360. Everyone sucked Xbox's dick. Then, over time, PS3 became the clear winner, especially with its free multiplayer. I expect something similar to happen here.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 24, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Shadow of Mordor is really good.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pirate Jet posted:

Shadow of Mordor is really good.

It really isn't. It doesn't even use the touch controls.

If it was made by a developer like Platinum, it might have stood a chance. But it's a Brown and ugly grimdark game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

It really isn't. It doesn't even use the touch controls.

If it was made by a developer like Platinum, it might have stood a chance. But it's a Brown and ugly grimdark game.

I don't think you've actually played Shadow of Mordor, Taint Reaper.

e: Also the Platinum burn is dumb because it's by Monolith, who made No One Lives Forever, Tron 2.0, and F.E.A.R., all noted Good Games.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
i feel like I thought infamous: second son was a fun game. please tell me why i'm wrong.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I like the part in Shadow of Mordor where you hit stuff with a sword and it explodes into body parts.

That's pretty alright.

Infamous Second Son was cool as heck.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't like how I had to buy grips for my PS4 controller, or that PSN goes down more than I change my underpants.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I've had my PS4 for six months and I haven't had to buy any grips. Never buy a console at launch.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pirate Jet posted:

e: Also the Platinum burn is dumb because it's by Monolith, who made No One Lives Forever, Tron 2.0, and F.E.A.R., all noted Good Games.

Yeah none of those had any staying power like other series, like dust in the wind.

I mean how many No One Lives Forever references can you find in their related games? None, Zero, Zip. The game had no following.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I mean how many No One Lives Forever references can you find in their related games? None, Zero, Zip. The game had no following.

I don't see how that relates "staying power."

If you wanna talk about "staying power" maybe try finding a match in Anarchy Reigns some time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Give me Shogo 2 or Blood 3 or go to hell Monolith.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Bayonetta 2 doesn't even use the touch screen. This means that the Wii U is a bad console that is dead in the water.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Little big planet 3 is a game that I think will be good. Thanks for listening.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Simsmagic posted:

Little big planet 3 is a game that I think will be good. Thanks for listening.

I think it might be good as well, Simsmagic

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Resogun is fun. Resofun.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I think someone needs to bring back the xbone mock thread, way more material.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pirate Jet posted:

Bayonetta 2 doesn't even use the touch screen. This means that the Wii U is a bad console that is dead in the water.

You can play the whole game using the touch screen if you're a scrub who is bad at games.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

henpod posted:

I think someone needs to bring back the xbone mock thread, way more material.

Best thread the forum has had in years. It was a daily read for me. Now games is pretty sad. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

My PS4 is covered in dust. I still use it, I just live in a very dusty home

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

taint reaped again!!

Your festive new avatar is awesome Kewpuh. Just felt I had to mention that.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The PS4 is poo poo
The OP is poo poo
This thread is poo poo
Gas and ban everything

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
i guess if you absolutely have to have a console the ps4 is the best choice

if only cause its competitors are either for children or a gigantic piece of poo poo

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

ps4 does a good job at being a steambox for poors, please don't poorshame.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
The only bad thing about the ps4 is that it's totally poo poo

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Didn't realize this thread is here!

Driveclub is so bad the OP of the driveclub thread literally killed his own thread and returned the game :laffo: First time in games history?

Even the threads are operating on a "one in one out" policy :v:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 31, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

thanks OP i am very excited about the PS4 now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fame lifeless not op.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
2 hour downtime during prime time, good work PSN

People are also reporting that they can't access their single player games because of online license checks? #ps4nodrm

quote:

I haven't launched them in awhile so I'm assuming PSN didn't update my licenses? And yes, my PS4 is set as the primary account.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

cool

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Looks like this "maintenance" is covering up something bigger:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/24922/article/playstation-network-has-open-vulnerability-warns-tech-security-expert/

quote:

Tech security experts are warning Sony about a serious vulnerability affecting their PlayStation Network service.

Basically, there is a critical SQL injection vulnerability in the service. This vulnerability allows a hacker to read data from PSN users.

By going through Sony’s support site, and using a manipulated parameter in the site’s URLs, you can see the contents of the SQL database in the browser itself.

Are we going to see another massive credit card breach?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
:smith:

quote:

TOKYO— Sony Corp. reported a hefty net loss of ¥136.0 billion ($1.2 billion) for the July-September period as it wrote down the ¥180 billion book value of its struggling smartphone business.

The outcome was narrower the ¥148.06 billion loss forecast by analysts. Markets had factored in a big loss since the electronics maker announced the write-down in September. In the same quarter a year ago, Sony recorded a ¥19.6 billion loss.

Restructuring the troubled Xperia handset business is an urgent task for the Japanese conglomerate. Chief executive Kazuo Hirai named the mobile segment as one of the three pillars of the company’s future, and Sony had ambitions of taking the third-largest global market share after and Samsung and Apple .

But faced with increasing competition from lower-cost Chinese makers, Sony acknowledged that its strategy had been wrong, and it would no longer seek such a large piece of the pie, signaling it would decrease its presence in some emerging markets. In the three-month reporting period, the mobile segment recorded a net loss of ¥172.0 billion.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So is there any other reason to buy a PS4 except for Bloodborne?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ekster posted:

its not an xbone

basically :pcgaming: is still the best

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ekster posted:

Basically the only reason to buy a PS4 is for future potential at this point.

Cross-gen is really killing next-gen consoles' chance at being worthwhile.

I guess Dying Light looks cool, that just got canceled for PS360.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

oddium posted:

Resogun is fun. Resofun.

This is still the only game I would play if I had a PS4, and with Geometry Wars 3 being released around Thanksgiving, even that is up in the air.

Keep up the good work, Taint Reaper. You and this thread are going places.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I don't have post history, but I'm sure crafty has some good images you can post in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I really like my PS4 a lot but the PS4 thread is full of whiny babies. They argued about Destiny and Borderlands for like six pages and then:

Casnorf posted:

Destiny is literally Garfield. You know, fat comic strip cat, hates Mondays...Garfield.

I read an article once about Jim Davis, and how he set out to create good, marketable character, and in the process make himself fairly wealthy. He made a product so bland, so inoffensive, and so devoid of interest that nobody could possibly generate strong feelings about it, then marketed it so heavily as to make it ubiquitous. It's a real, if somewhat cynical, recipe for success.

The things Destiny does, it does well enough to get by. The things it doesn't try to do are redirected to a website where nobody will ever pay any attention. It's marketed so heavily that I'm seeing ads for it during the MLB playoffs and on LMN. It's intended to be synonymous with gaming, the way Mario is and Madden and Call of Duty try to be. That's where the half-billion went.

That doesn't mean it's bad, just bland and cynical. I think the occasional Garfield strip is amusing, too. For a few minutes.

That being said the PS4 has the LIVE channel which has people doing this:

• Locked thread