Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't played most of this 2000-2006 era poo poo, what's not awful? I have the urge for cool old cheap videogames but I don't trust GoG reviews because they're written by the kind of people who write GoG reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
old games are really only good in context of the games preceding them. so basically they are really only great when they are new. however those feelings last as nostalgia and persist far after the game becomes irrelavent based on this criteria

so whatever the gently caress gog is dont buy old games youve never played

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

On sale right now? Total Annihilation and King's Bounty.

In general, any of the Infinity Engine games(Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment), all the Might&Magic and Ultima games, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Master of Orion 1&2.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jive One posted:

On sale right now? Total Annihilation and King's Bounty.

In general, any of the Infinity Engine games(Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment), all the Might&Magic and Ultima games, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Master of Orion 1&2.

I already have all the D&D games because I'm a huge dork and they have all been on crazy sales at some point, and I have like four copies of Deus Ex

Might check out MoO though, a space game sounds p cool right now.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Anything made by Spiderweb Software.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
All the old Fallouts are up there, right?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Volcott posted:

All the old Fallouts are up there, right?

yeah, another series I already have.

I should probably play 2, I know if I've ever gotten past the intro temple thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well the thing is a lot of the "classic" games on GoG are in fact good*

* for the time they were made in.

There are some like MoO 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, System Shock 2, etc. that can be worth revisiting because "they sure don't make 'em like this anymore" but even then they can be archaic and frustrating as all poo poo because one thing almost all game designers have gotten a lot better in since the year 2000 is in streamlined UI.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

is alpha centauri on sale because its good and im not biasd

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
To add some yet unlisted games:
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, Descent 1 & 2, Descent 3, Vampire: The Masquerade (so I hear), Faster than Light, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, Unreal Tournament 2004, the Sam & Max games, La Mulana, Amnesia: Dark Descent, Resonance, Evil Genius

Sooner or later you have to play the Baldur's Gates, Descent 1 & 2, Deus Ex, and Alpha Centauri. There are others but those are the ones I'm sure of from playing them myself.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 25, 2014

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Well the thing is a lot of the "classic" games on GoG are in fact good*

* for the time they were made in.

There are some like MoO 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, System Shock 2, etc. that can be worth revisiting because "they sure don't make 'em like this anymore" but even then they can be archaic and frustrating as all poo poo because one thing almost all game designers have gotten a lot better in since the year 2000 is in streamlined UI.

I've got no problem with old games, hell I'd probably be playing Starflight 1&2 and not even asking this question if I didn't gently caress up my save file and need to reinstall every couple of days. Those games rewrote the actual EXE to save, because old computers are loving terrible.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
startopia

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

SimAnt

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Durgat posted:

startopia

This game is really really good.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
king of dragon pass

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

1gnoirents posted:

old games are really only good in context of the games preceding them. so basically they are really only great when they are new. however those feelings last as nostalgia and persist far after the game becomes irrelavent based on this criteria

so whatever the gently caress gog is dont buy old games youve never played

yeah for example thats why everyone plays archon now instead of chess

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clayren posted:

king of dragon pass

Clayren posted:

king of dragon pass

Clayren posted:

king of dragon pass

i quoted it three times to make sure you didn't miss it op

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

is alpha centauri on sale because its good and im not biasd

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Clayren posted:

king of dragon pass

This game owns I have bought it for like four people on iOS.

Good Tip.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

you should spend 5 dollars and buy alpha centauri if youve never played it and NOT spend 60 dollars for civilization: beyond earth

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

you should spend 5 dollars and buy alpha centauri if youve never played it and NOT spend 60 dollars for civilization: beyond earth

what's the difference between alpha centauri and civilization

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
alpha centauri, master of orion, xcom

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

also true.

I actually bought AC in London for like two pounds a long long time ago and then rebought it on GOG when it was there.

I've played most of the super obvious old stuff, but every week they have those weekend sales and I've never heard of 99% of the stuff on there (which means it's probably junk), I'm just wondering if there's like hidden gems I should know about, like startopia and whatever Jive One said.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

silent storm is fun.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
gently caress...

the lucas arts library now

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
or rather disney interactive/lucasfilm
guess ill actually play x-wing and tie-fighter now christmas sale

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
play sam and max

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The Longest Journey

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
There's a lot of good video games, OP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ryoshi posted:

I've played most of the super obvious old stuff, but every week they have those weekend sales and I've never heard of 99% of the stuff on there (which means it's probably junk), I'm just wondering if there's like hidden gems I should know about, like startopia and whatever Jive One said.
How old are you? Because that'll probably influence what kind of stuff you'll enjoy a whole lot.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Heroes of Might and Magic III

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Hostile Waters, Interstate '76, Anachronox

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
MOO1 and 2 feel a lot less dated than stuff like Sins of a Solar Empire IMO, like those could easily be extremely well-made mobile games today except that there's no button to buy space gold with your real credit card whereas most newer stuff like it feels directly adapted from the kind of lovely 90s wargame that involves two dozen dice and a bad novel series

Grand Prize Winner posted:

silent storm is fun.

There's a main campaign mission in the middle that just will not load for me in the GOG version, so I can only ever play up to just about the part where you get the really good building-levelling grenades :(

If you can get it to play it's easily up there with Jagged Alliance 2 and XCom

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 28, 2014

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Those pixely movies and audio clips from 1998 are 100 times better than the junk they just released for 50 bucks :unsmith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
TIE Fighter is one of the first games that I ever really enjoyed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zeroisanumber posted:

TIE Fighter is one of the first games that I ever really enjoyed.
TIE Fighter, Wolfpack and Lemmings. That was my childhood. And Commander Keen, can't forget the Commander.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
o ya since the reason this thread exists is probably tie fighter everyone get Freespace 2. If you've got aspergers there's a bunch of ways to modernize it a bit or just mod the gently caress out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
another thing that's good is being a goddamn adult and not playing kiddie games op

• Locked thread