Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Free will? Free from what?

Consciousness? Conscious of what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cardiovorax does his obstinate schtick in every thread, it's his way of seeing who wants to touch dicks.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I for one am slave to my hallucinations

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tetsuo posted:

Because you're posting in a lunatic fashion, without even the most basic or clear explanations for your reasoning. Choosing instead to assert your ideas like a babbling homeless person on the subway at 2am. Nothing you are saying makes sense because you've built up this alternate universe vocabulary for everything anyone says.

i understand what he's saying, maybe you're the lunatic??

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
or maybe there are just 2 lunatics actually...also i have no idea what it means "to think for oneself"..who else would you be thinking for??

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Now that's actually an interesting thought. You believe (heh) that we get to pick and choose what we believe in? Because that certainly isn't my experience.

if it isn't possible, then judging others based on their beliefs isn't possible either..the ultimate live and let live philosophy.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of my sisters when she was about 20 unironically said, after hearing about determinism from a male friend of hers, "i like determinism because it means i dont have to take responsibility for my actions"

Well yes thats true, but it also means no one else has to take responsibility for theirs, and everything ends up happening the same way.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

free will vs determinism is truly the shittest of philosophical arguments beyond "is the chair there"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Um if you cant trust your senses you can't trust anything at all..except forums user "cardiovorax" apparently. And what are perceptions if not sensory input. define your terms nigga

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Nothing is real until someone else tells me it is" is how this can all be boiled down even further. That's dumb as poo poo im sorry. Cardiovorax you suck and thats not what Hume meant at all.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

So, right, quantum mechanics. I'll say this right off: quantum entanglement effects do not occur at temperatures above -170°C. Anyone telling you that quantum physics have anything to do with brain functioning is talking out of his rear end.

God, just shut up already. You didn't even understand what part of his work I was referring to, you obviously haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Was going to say his distinction between impressions and ideas but i havent read him for almost a decade and i had to look it up again. He never said anything i cared about. Kant i liked more. Why don't you tell me what you meant which would be the civilized thing you do..fuckin goons

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"You can't trust anything you perceive or think fully" so how could you trust your own skepticism? "Read hume" ooook

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

monkey posted:

So is this thread resolved now? Do we have free will or what?

Seems like yes but also no..thanks brave intrepid goons, my path is now clearer before me.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Consciousness is something you have to acquire. Thats why everyone is wondering if it exists or not..they don't have it. Free will too but thats a term starting off in a bad place..free from what?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Will you ever stop pretending like there isn't a standard philosophical vocabulary and that we need to define every term we use as if everybody didn't already know exactly what it means? Just curious.

Nope, i've read too much wittgenstein to fall for that now.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The definitions are not the starting point, they're the problems themselves. There's nowhere further to go. You must go backward and unravel your philosophical ball of yarn.

• Locked thread