Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

SpeedGem posted:

reasoning to shoot back and kill, because the united states has no mental heath care sytem

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
it says they negotiated for seven hours

wonder what went on there

did they just get tired of trying to cheer up sadbrains and finish him off?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

yeah if you get shot at you shouldnt shoot back probably if that person is suicidal (its just a cry for help and they probably dont mean to hurt you). i mean what is body armor for anyways if you cant take a few hits and take cover anyways?

the 7 hours thing is a little eyebrow raising though. I know the average time for this is about 8-9 hours before an armed suicidal man comes to his senses. the police probably shouldn't have gone in yet. this was a major oversight

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
hi, we heard you were having a hard time and thinking about killing yourself so we're just gonna station the SWAT team outside your house with their guns drawn. no pressure!

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

legal sudicide by gangs

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
weve successfully prevented a man from jumping off a building by strafing the structure with helicopter machine guns and flamethrowers.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Saving life is not profitable anymore

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SpeedGem posted:

legal sudicide by gangs

that kind of seems like it doesnt it. they even have a legal term for this!

do your part exercise your second ammendment rights and buy a Barret .50 caliber sniper rifle

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

* unless you are suicidal

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

weve successfully prevented a man from jumping off a building by strafing the structure with helicopter machine guns and flamethrowers.
I remember reading in one of those "weird laws" lists (so admittedly unsourced* and probably not true, but it would be funny) that the penalty for attempted suicide was capital punishment. I just really want to hear someone say "don't jump or we'll shoot you on the way down"

e*: autocorrect made that say uncensored

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 26, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

jesus why couldnt they have just talked to the gentle youth? or let him go, he only hurt one of the cops thats NOT A DEATH PENALTY loving FASCIST KKKOPS

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I remember reading in one of those "weird laws" lists (so admittedly uncensored and probably not true, but it would be funny) that the penalty for attempted suicide was capital punishment. I just really want to hear someone say "don't jump or we'll shoot you on the way down"

he was falling towards us in an aggressive fashion, your honor

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I remember reading in one of those "weird laws" lists (so admittedly uncensored and probably not true, but it would be funny) that the penalty for attempted suicide was capital punishment. I just really want to hear someone say "don't jump or we'll shoot you on the way down"

That was actually old time British law, and consequently Indian law for much longer after that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

yeah if you get shot at you shouldnt shoot back probably if that person is suicidal (its just a cry for help and they probably dont mean to hurt you). i mean what is body armor for anyways if you cant take a few hits and take cover anyways?

the 7 hours thing is a little eyebrow raising though. I know the average time for this is about 8-9 hours before an armed suicidal man comes to his senses. the police probably shouldn't have gone in yet. this was a major oversight
You do kind of wonder if they couldn't have used some form of less-lethal rounds to just disable him though, I mean swat is pretty decked out in safety gear right? You'd think "Risk getting shot at to save a life" would be part of an officer's job?

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
If im in trouble and some women or friend is getting beat up on some side of the city. I go there, and you with your fists hit me first, and the i drop you, and you piss your pants and i break your hand with a hammer,

Men who hit women are worser than me hitting a m,an hitted a woman,.

police are never called cause they dont need to be, unless one of the families is a cop haver.

side with the family, lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well british law was either death or deportation for p much everything for like 200 years so yah im not surprised theyd send you to the gallows for killing yourself

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
oh look the sheriffs dept has a pedopile all along, and its just coming out

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
the deputies are fbi investigated? color me shocked.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

You do kind of wonder if they couldn't have used some form of less-lethal rounds to just disable him though, I mean swat is pretty decked out in safety gear right? You'd think "Risk getting shot at to save a life" would be part of an officer's job?

decked out in defensive gear, sure, but what's the point of having bigass guns if you don't get to use them? what are you, a commie?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

you mind if we meet up so I can shoot you in the chest a few times? Ill let you wear a vest. Promise I'm a decent shot pretty sure ill make the shots.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

you mind if we meet up so I can shoot you in the chest a few times? Ill let you wear a vest. Promise I'm a decent shot pretty sure ill make the shots.

can he shoot back?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah they're in defensive gear but that won't really help if they get like, shot in the head or in the thigh or arm and something and bleed out.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Ideally yes. The article is obviously lacking of any real details. In the real world though if you so much as point at a gun at anybody who is armed, including police, you will be shot at.

Although having body armor doesn't allow you to be safely shot at. It just reduces the chance of dying via gunshot in a vital organ (other than your head). If the day came where they had some kind of super suit that actually covered you completely... maybe.

The only reason this article exists is to poke peoples emotions because he called a suicide prevention hotline then ended up being shot by police. This wouldn't even make national news if he didn't call the suicidal prevention hotline. It doesn't really matter if you call a suicide hotline then shoot at police. It's not like a free pass because you are suicidal or something.

Of course this is presuming he shot at the police. If it turns out its something like "well the police tried yelling at him for 7 hours but got annoyed, so they went in with a swat team and he didnt immediately get on the ground so they shot him 7 times" then this is big news.

People commit suicide by cop quite often. There are serious issues there of course. But those are hard and complicated to think about, its much easier to blame the police (whether or not they were at fault, which certainly they have and have not been)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I mean I get that it's less than ideal I just think that I don't want people who would protect themselves above all else like in the cases where they shot unarmed people because they thought they had a gun. These people had armor and shields and all sort of less lethal options, it was just one man in an otherwise empty house. Surely there must be some way for the officers to subdue him without a huge risk of death or serious injury.

I mean if you look at the stats it's pretty safe to be in law enforcement, the idea that just cause someone is armed we need to shoot to kill is kind of unique to america.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I read a bunch of articles and none of them say he has a gun so like, the cops might've accidentally let a shot off or it was just some random gunshot they heard in the city before they started lighting the dude up.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean I get that it's less than ideal I just think that I don't want people who would protect themselves above all else like in the cases where they shot unarmed people because they thought they had a gun. These people had armor and shields and all sort of less lethal options, it was just one man in an otherwise empty house. Surely there must be some way for the officers to subdue him without a huge risk of death or serious injury.

I mean if you look at the stats it's pretty safe to be in law enforcement, the idea that just cause someone is armed we need to shoot to kill is kind of unique to america.

There is no other way to shoot than to kill and like, cops are still humans and most humans would rather shoot someone than risk getting shot so uh, it's kinda effed in the a.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Buschmaki posted:

I read a bunch of articles and none of them say he has a gun so like, the cops might've accidentally let a shot off or it was just some random gunshot they heard in the city before they started lighting the dude up.

he probably did some sort of rhino charge or ran screaming at the police with a kitchen knife

*autopsy reveals that he was shot in the back while he was already on the ground handcuffed*

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

The type of "armor" that you believe officers possess that allows them to take a few shots is a figment of your overactive imagination

quote:

I the idea that just cause someone is armed we need to shoot to kill is kind of unique to america.
oh you are just mentally ill....cool

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Buschmaki posted:

There is no other way to shoot than to kill and like, cops are still humans and most humans would rather shoot someone than risk getting shot so uh, it's kinda effed in the a.
You can shoot with less lethal rounds? Tazers? Use gas or flashbangs? Just march on him behind a bunch of riot shields? Pretty much no other country on earth shoots people in confrontations as much as america does, we must be doing something wrong.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

well thats because most countries dont let civilians have guns

what have I done

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

You can shoot with less lethal rounds? Tazers? Use gas or flashbangs? Just march on him behind a bunch of riot shields? Pretty much no other country on earth shoots people in confrontations as much as america does, we must be doing something wrong.

its because other countries dont have the same ubiquitousness of guns. Their confrontations when they do happen end much the same way. Seek help.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I don't think it's really that unreasonable to ask that a profession that has less risk of death or serious injury than farmers and was hired with the sole purpose of protecting people including having a legal monopoly on force should maybe be willing to put themselves in harms way for the sake of protecting people and saving lives.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ArbitraryC posted:

You can't use a tazer on someone with a gun, they will shoot you. Less lethal rounds kill people all the time and I wouldn't trust dudes who go around shooting people they're supposed to protect with a bunch of weird gas. I don't think trampling him and then beating him with riot shields, which dudes can like, get shot through can work. And you kinda have you know where a guy is in a house to throw a flashbang at him, and if he's not like, right next to it and staring directly at it all you've done is made a crazy man with a gun way more stressed out which might lead to crazier things.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't think it's really that unreasonable to ask that a profession that has less risk of death or serious injury than farmers and was hired with the sole purpose of protecting people including having a legal monopoly on force should maybe be willing to put themselves in harms way for the sake of protecting people and saving lives.

Humans don't work like that.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

actually normal human beings (even in your esteemed countries outside AMERICA!!!!))) with functional brains and empathy value the life of the person creating a violent situation somewhat less than the people who are called to protect the public from said violent persons actions. Also most of these confrontations end with the criminal putting the weapon down and its over. Not sure why you think its murderbot 8000 24/7.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Law enforcement is an institution which naturally attracts hosed up weirdos who like shooting people and it's much harder to get shot and not die than you might think. When you combine these two things, well, you can see the results.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Buschmaki posted:

You can't use a tazer on someone with a gun, they will shoot you. Less lethal rounds kill people all the time and I wouldn't trust dudes who go around shooting people they're supposed to protect with a bunch of weird gas. I don't think trampling him and then beating him with riot shields, which dudes can like, get shot through can work. And you kinda have you know where a guy is in a house to throw a flashbang at him, and if he's not like, right next to it and staring directly at it all you've done is made a crazy man with a gun way more stressed out which might lead to crazier things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICU_xp8Emg

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
RonMexiosPitbull isn't making any sense with his asinine value of human life argument though, so iunno.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Buschmaki posted:

You're talking to a guy who thinks riot shields work like in call of duty and can absorb sustained machinegun fire, or gundfire period. And swat vests apparently are like Juggernaut Pro to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
We back to posting a thread everytime cops shoot someone eh?

Lame

• Locked thread