Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

I think one of the hardest I’ve laughed at the show is when Stan gives the cab to a young newlywed couple and then tells the next cabbie about it. He goes “want me to follow them” and Stan’s squinting “I do….. but there’s no time”. Just the double subverting expectations of the cabbie making the insane offer and Stan making the insane acceptance of it tickles me.

This show reminds me of Mr. Show in that it constantly builds on and subverts the same joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"It was a mistake, Francine. I wasn't thinking straight. I was with my friends, we had some drinks, we we're on a boat. I was... I was boat-notized."

"Boat-notized? Oh, like ship-notized?"

"Ship-notized? That means nothing."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bullock shouting at the sun is my favourite bullock line

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Nichael posted:

The dialogue in this show feels tailor made for me, like some kind of drug engineered specifically for my DNA.

It's the perfect blend of writing and delivery that no other show really approaches for me. Even ~20 years in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And as for me, super gay also.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Don't scare me like that! I thought he really died and this was yet another celebrity death I found out about via a random Something Awful thread.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Don't scare me like that! I thought he really died and this was yet another celebrity death I found out about via a random Something Awful thread.

It made me google that too, hoping it wasn't true.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

lol, did the exact same thing

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He died so Jeff could live

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I dunno why I didn't pick up on it before but this time the gag of him constantly losing limbs (and still managing to fight the guards off) because of Jeff distracting him cracked me up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5gDfFtyWZQ
Anyone know all the style references from the wormhole scene? I got the obvious ones, like South Park, Cubism, Simpsons, but I'm guessing there are some deep cuts there as well.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5gDfFtyWZQ
Anyone know all the style references from the wormhole scene? I got the obvious ones, like South Park, Cubism, Simpsons, but I'm guessing there are some deep cuts there as well.

also including but not limited to Klasky-Csupo producer card, Mission Hill, and Doug

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I watch the show generally while doing other things so I don’t give it the full attention it deserves and as a result I find myself noticing things I missed the first 5 times watching an episode. For some reason in the NaviJoe episode where Klaus becomes Stan’s car I completely missed the running gag about Zagnut bars where Klaus has his stolen then they stop a theft of one and the bad guys are the Zagnut boys hiding in Zagnut gulch. All they do is steal cars and Zagnut bars.

The episode has some amazing moments. Like Francine going “I thought I was your best friend” and Stan’s “Really?” Delivered almost curiously.

I just remembered I paid $11,000! I kept tipping the salesman during the negotiation. Kept him VERY motivated.

I’m comin NaviJoe!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I fuckin' love Zagnut bars too, so I'd join the Zagnut boys

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are you really asking that from the guy who just last week killed 6 people over $19?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

also including but not limited to Klasky-Csupo producer card, Mission Hill, and Doug

Where were mission hill and doug? I think KC was the eyes right

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like when they're milk and a cookie

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Handy Imgur Gallery. Outside of the South Park and Futurama shots, there aren't a lot of direct one-to-one style references.

I get Doug vibes from this one, but it's pretty much entirely because of Jeff's nose/head shape.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Pretty sure there's a Powerpuff Girls one in there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Could have swore there was 2 real life ones but I guess not

e: there is!

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

This show reminds me of Mr. Show in that it constantly builds on and subverts the same joke.
And that's the Fairsley promise!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

And that's the Fairsley promise!

And don't forget, I love you!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man I'd forgotten just how completely nuts the hot tub episode is.

Well, there you have it. That's our story. Stan's dead. Good night! lmao

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also, I think, that if they hadn't gotten the surprise renewal they were ready for that to be their for real end to the series.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love that episode and i love little shop of horrors

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I love pretty much every episode involving the Bazooka Sharks but I think the Die Hard one about how Haley and Stan can't communicate is my favorite. There are so many great moments. "Wait a minute! You're not the asian woman who plays Great Dwight!" and then Sky Crooner up in the rafters, Stan getting his hot dog shoved through the vent grate, Stan and Haley desperately trying to name black women. It's got so much to love.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Where's Li Tran?!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

I love pretty much every episode involving the Bazooka Sharks but I think the Die Hard one about how Haley and Stan can't communicate is my favorite. There are so many great moments. "Wait a minute! You're not the asian woman who plays Great Dwight!" and then Sky Crooner up in the rafters, Stan getting his hot dog shoved through the vent grate, Stan and Haley desperately trying to name black women. It's got so much to love.

Stan's impression of Steve is great too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:mmmhmm:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tom Tucker posted:

Also Johnny concussion revealing he was just pretending to be smart. Also Roger's who thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was about to watch the hurricane episode when I remembered that it's a 3 parter with Family Guy and Cleveland Show. So I figure "Man, I gotta go get those to watch first!"

Fam, ya don't gotta.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Was about to watch the hurricane episode when I remembered that it's a 3 parter with Family Guy and Cleveland Show. So I figure "Man, I gotta go get those to watch first!"

Fam, ya don't gotta.

Watching all three to get to American Dad is a real "but when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!" scenario.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah from my recollection the Family Guy part is one of the worst episodes in the series, while the Cleveland Show episode is just nothing special

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Isn't the Family Guy hurricane episode the one where Meg finally sticks up for herself and tells everyone to gently caress off, before realizing without her to abuse the family falls apart, so she has to continue being the family whipping boy so her abusers don't have to feel bad?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
broke: emotionally and physically abusing meg

woke: emotionally abusing and harpooning francine

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

Isn't the Family Guy hurricane episode the one where Meg finally sticks up for herself and tells everyone to gently caress off, before realizing without her to abuse the family falls apart, so she has to continue being the family whipping boy so her abusers don't have to feel bad?
Yep.

The Cleveland episode is all about how Junior decides he doesn't believe in god and the whole rest of the family try to convince him otherwise.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 24, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My old college javelin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

broke: emotionally and physically abusing meg

woke: emotionally abusing and harpooning francine

Pretty much. It helps because Francine is an actual character with depth.