Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Chicken wings are my go-to Friday night treat after a week of working, running and eating healthy. A nice big plate of hot, sticky, juicy, spicy wings and a couple of cold beers to go with a film is something I love. I'll put my standard recipe below but was hoping some of you might have some new options I could try out. Anything from Korean Salt & Pepper Wings to Classic American Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip.

Triple Coated Spicy Chicken Wings

Ingredients
* 6 garlic cloves, crushed
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 6 tbsp cider vinegar
* 2 tbsp paprika
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 4 tsp celery salt
* 8 tbsp pepper sauce (Frank's Hot Sauce)
* 2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
* 6 tbsp honey
* 1 kg chicken wings, halved at the joint

Optional Additional for "Death Wings"
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Blaire's 3AM Reserve Chilli Extract (Or any other chilli sauce you want to add for extra heat)

Method

1. In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, hot sauce, honey, chilli extract and a couple of cracks of black pepper. Add the chicken wings and toss around to make sure they’re fully covered in the marinade. If you have time, leave the wings to marinate for a couple of hrs in the fridge or ideally overnight.

2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drain and reserve the marinade, then spread the wings out on a very large baking tray. Bake for 30 mins, then pour off the excess oil, add the reserved marinade and toss well. Increase oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 mins, taking the wings out every 10 minutes and put them in the bowl of sauce re-coating them with the remainder of the sauce to make sure they are triple coated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013

Jose posted:

Is there any real reason to use wings over thighs or drumsticks?

Personally I love the crunch you can get from the end of the wing and the higher sauce to meat ratio you get from a wing drummette than you would from the other two. Thighs are great for Cajun rubs and a bbq.

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Wow.. OK. I thought I had this poo poo down pat but looks like I have a few new things to try..

Re: Steaming. Are you guys talking about using a vegetable steamer?

I haven't really tried to crisp them up other than in a deep fat fryer with a coating so this in intriguing me. I think there is a high probability of wings being on the menu this weekend.

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Double post....

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013

brick cow posted:

Nice technique except why god has no one addressed this!!! DO NOT USE the marinade you soaked your chicken parts in as a final sauce. When you make the marinade in the first place use half in the chicken and reserve half. After your chicken has a had a soak, dump that used marinade! You're just asking for salmonella poison if you use it on finished product. Even if you cook them one last time for ten minutes after the last coating.

They are cooked for 10 mins at 220 which should kill anything off but it's a fair point. It's never hurt me but then I guess that's no guarantee - So I guess you should make an extra batch of sauce as you say to be safe.

• Locked thread